Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Orchard White | The Bruery

Style: Witbier

Added by DoubleJ on 05-01-2008

4.5

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured very pale with a considerable easily-dissipating head.

My first reaction to this beer was surprise. I am a big fan of Wits, but this beer surprised me to how "light" it was. I expected a bit more substance. It was almost as if it was too light and did not have enough substance to it.

The taste was fine, not exceptional, but fine. I was not overwhelmed, and the carbonation really left a airy feel in my mouth. In it's favor it had a very refreshing feel to it; I would love to drink this beer after running a few miles to refresh myself. But as far as a Saturday night drink goes, I would choose other Wits over this one.

A good strong attempt, but I found it lacking in substance, specifically and a bit over-aerated.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

The Orchard White pours a just slightly hazy golden body with a brass cast. The head rises up quickly, but then settles readily into a short lid of foamy white. Very good retention. Good lacing.

The aroma is initially almost perfume-like, and quite floral. Yeast then steps in, along with peppery-spice, wheat, citrus (lemon zest, but also grapefruit) and chalk, apple, subtle pear, some grassiness, and a quick dollop of sugar. A slight bit of sulphur is present as well, but it's not unpleasant.

In the mouth it's light-to-medium in body and gently bristling on the tongue.

The flavor follows the aroma but it's not as bold. You need to really breathe it in as you taste it to get the full effect. Additional notes to those found in the aroma include cut green pepper and clove, cardamom, and perhaps a hint of almond and vanilla in the sugary note. It's not particularly bitter, yet it's balanced, and it finishes refreshingly crisp and dry with rotating notes of citrus, pepper, and spice.

In addition to its readily accessible nature, the Orchard White is actually quite complex, and that lends greatly to its drinkability. There are plenty of subtle nuances to be found, and it's not so big that you can't have more than one or two. Quite nice!!!

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours with great intensity - Gigantic, almost overflowing head, after about 5-10 minutes boils down to almost nothing, except a neat swirl in the middle. The etching in my Duvel tulip is working overtime. Pours a light-bodied but hazy golden, very lively looking. Leaves a flourish of bubbles below the sea line and some sweet lacing above, a great looking beer. Smell isn't my favorite, huge yeast and spicy nose, with a sweet backbone. Something like coriander? Sweet smelling backbone.

Let me just say up front, I'm not the biggest fan of wits. I normally find them one-dimensional and simple. This seems to be an exception, though. Base dryness with just a hint of spicing to give it character, nothing at all overpowering. Little bit of lemon zest. Dry wheat characteristic throughout. Has a base earthiness to it that might come from the hopping, hops not real prevalent, but seem to give it more of a grounding than others of the style. Strong wheat aftertaste that goes away quickly. Strong mouthfeel helped along by healthy carbonation. Dry, falls off the palate fairly quickly. Drinkability is very stong, this is a very refreshing beer and would be great in the summertime. I'm saving some of the more funky Bruery beers for later tastings, thought I'd start with the basics. And if this is the basics, the rest is sure to be great.

3.71/5  rDev -4.6%

Cloudy light orange color with a firm, dense, well layered white creamy head. Nose is light but appropriate. Flavor is bright, lively and well balanced. Full flavored, with an excellent body that elevates flavors of orange peel, coriander and summer fruit. Excellent white ale.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

Appears a hazy, light gold with a fluffy, white head that slowly fades into a mild cap and collar. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass. Heavy amounts of
CO2 quickly rise to the top.
Smell is of lemony zest, lavendar, floral notes, tart wheat, pepper, and a touch of orange citrus.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a seemingly strong amount of lavendar coming through which turns me off at first. The flavors begin to grow on me.
Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, zesty, medium bodied, and full of herbs, spices, and minerals.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Huge carbonation on this baby. I thought that Belgian Wits were not this lively. Straw/hazy color with ample carbonation. This poured like a Duvel. I had to wait on this one for a good few minutes until I was able to complete the pour. Huge white frothy head.

Smell - Crisp citrus/grassy aroma. Good yeasty presence as well adding to the "spice" body. A bit of peppery spice hits my nose to round out what you would expect from a wit.

Taste - Starts with a tart feel that gradually softens as I let this roll around my mouth. I can taste the floral presence, represented by the lavender, at the finish. Brings another tart yet dry finish to this offering.

Mouthfeel - Dense yet thin at the same time, if that makes any sense. The carbonation makes this feel like a much larger beer than a typical wit, but once that dissipates, there is little left for the finish.

Drinkability - A nice wit, much drier than I've experienced in the past. Has a good crisp finish which would be quite refreshing on a hot humid day. I would have another, as this was very much a nice experience. I would be interested to see more reviews of this offering to see where it balances out in the pantheon of Belgian Wits.

Large bottle, w/o freshness info. Pours cloudy lemony light amber, off white head initially quite excited and rocky, then goes soft, ringed and tiny bubble. Nose I get is full of zesty citrus, yeast and the typical wit waff of coriander. Carbonation is spot on, a tiny prickly, but mostly soft and smooth over the tongue. More lemon citrus, yeast and floral flavor sensations. Nice wit, another quality and worthwhile offering from NY state new comer The Bruery...yeasty, chunky, nutty final pour add to the feel of quality going on here.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Orchard White...great title for a beer. Poured from the bottle in to a tulip glass a lively, slightly hazy golden color. Heading is a moderately sized white that quickly fades in to a tiny ring around the glass. Lots of carbonation by the looks of it from the numerous air bubbles. Nice sweet aroma of peaches, champaign yeast, more fruit....apples or pears perhaps, tiny hint of nutmeg, and a bit of funk thrown in there as well. Sweet champaign comes to mind first, with things getting more or less funky towards the end. Not as Brettanomyces laden as some of there other beers, but its presence can be tasted. Carbonation stays prevalent, and lifts the flavors well. Very refreshing, and easy to put down. The carbonation adds to the drinkability considerably. This is a really well put together Wit from the Bruery. All I can say is that I am glad that they are available in Mass now, and I look forward to having more of their beers. Cheers

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%

750ml bottle at 52 degrees.

Pours clear, pale gold with a massive three inch head of stark white. After several minutes of slow retreat, a rocky surface turned to a solid skim coat. Lacework aplenty.

Aromatics are pungent and spicy. Cardamon, lime leaves, coriander, white pepper, cloves, lemon zest, and lavender. Wowza, what a nosefull.

Light bodied with a crisp, snappy mouthfeel.

Lemon-spritzed malt, clovey phenols, and brite citrus lead off the palate. A tartness pulls through and cuts through the slight malt sweetness like a knife. Peppercorns, lime zest, and menthol warm up the throat.

Finishes with lingering spice, tart lemon, and a hint of honey.

Wow, what a great white! Tasting uber-fresh, super complex, and very dry. Hats off to the Bruery. Nice.

3.88/5  rDev -0.3%

25.4oz bottle into a small pilsner glass

A- Orchard white is not quite white but is a light golden color with hints of light yellow and quite hazy looking. A whole lot of bubbles and fizz making a nice ever rising white head, an active one at that.

S- Quite loaded for a wit with a bunch of floral quality. A nice heaping of spices including clove and a yeast backing. Also getting nice lemon scents along witha hint of banana. Eat your wheaties, or drink an orchard white as this has wheat galore.

T- OW is a very tasty wit and quite possibly my favorite to date. Getting some apple which I did not get in smell. Lemon also. Wheat and a good amount of clove and I am loving the lavender as I never tasted this in a beer before. It could get old after some though. Citrus and some fruit peels as well. Alot going on here.

M- A big step above light in the style category with a plethora of flavors that explore the palette. Carbonation is ever present in this wit and is felt throughout. Loved it with more warming.

D- A nice sessionable wit but I would prefer to share this bottle. The flavors were just pouring out of this brew. One of the most complex wit's i've had. Hats off to the bruery

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle at The Institute

A: Cloudy yellow body with a massive white head. Good retention. Decent lacing... Duvel anyone?

S: Fresh fruit. Lemon, banana, and coriander are the main accents to a solid wheaty backbone. Alcohol isn't noticeable.

T: Similar to the nose. The wheat base is present throughout. Lemon and coriander are up front, with a slightly yeasty finish.

M: A bit fizzy, medium body. Dry, refreshing finish.

D: I shared three bottle over the course of a few hours and couldn't complain.

3.62/5  rDev -6.9%

Had this beer out of a 750ml from the Bruery. It pours a cloudy light gold with a huge white head that dissipates quickly and leaves minimal lacing.

The nose is really complex. Strong dark pineapple and lemon aromas supported by doughy malt and herbs (sage, basil?). There is also a kiss of citrus and a slight pervading scent of perfume (lavender?).

Begins with sweet lemon fruitiness on top of light doughy malt accented by basil and sage. Lavender pervades the palate from the beginning. Spiciness compliments the light hop bitterness toward the end. Aftertaste is of candy lemon.

The carbonation is way too much in this brew. It detracts from the taste and makes it hard to take much more than a sip at a time. Mouthfeel is light to medium-light. Finish is fairly sweet.

Drinkability is limited by the over-carbonation. 750ml of this is the maximum for one session. Interesting beer overall. Nice complexity.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

A - Man, major explosion when opening. I have only seen one beer do this before, and it was infected. Not a good thing.

It calmed, though. Light straw, humongous pillowy head and sudsy lacing.

S - Light Belgian esters, wheat and lemon.

T - Spices, wheat, kinda a funky perfume like finish that I didn't quite like.

M - WAY too carbonated. Hard to taste with that much fizz.

D - Not really my cup of tea, but got better as I worked the bottle.

3.91/5  rDev +0.5%

The Bruery- Orchard White

A- Hazy yellowish orange with a huge fluffy white head. Thick sea foam lacing.
S- Light citrus, Mostly orange, and a touch of lavender. Slight hints of wheat and oatmeal.
T- Light orangey citrus with lavender. Good oatmeal/ brown sugar malt with good doses of wheat.
M- Light and crisp with a bit a touch of perfume. Good grainy malt finish.

Overall- Starts off a bit perfumy but settles down into a good thick flavorful Wit. Bold flavors pronounced. Gets better after each sip.

4.39/5  rDev +12.9%

Light yellow in color, fairly clear with a beautiful tall white head. Aroma is wonderful. Light and playful. Makes me think of summer days. Some bready notes for the background, and refreshing spicy and citrusy notes to get you excited. I'll be honest, I like the aroma so much that I'm a bit hesitant to taste (it's a lot to follow). Taste is a little more subdued than the aroma. Spices play on the tongue and wheat provides a nice background. I am guess oats make wheat less prominent, and that brings spices foreward. Very drinkable. Light body. Perfect for the summer day (but very enjoyable in February as well). I think carbonation is just right for this kind of beer.

Lovely and just what I wanted (and needed).

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

this bottle came by way of a friend from the bruery itself (thanks mark). pours pale/gold and cloudy with a massive head. carbonated but not off-putting. spice and herbs are way up front but not offensive, more subtle with clove, orange peel and lemon zest coming up the rear. the taste is crisp with hints of orange and lavender. refreshing with a soft finish, i find it highly drinkable. mouthfeel is good, though not spectacular. i was hoping it would be a bit more structured in the mouth but it's still very pleasant. the alcohol is deceptive at 5.7%. overall i was very impressed with this year round ale and would highly recommend it.

3.04/5  rDev -21.9%

Got a 750 ml bottle

The beer poured very foamy at first. It kept it at ~41 F for an hour or so, so I don't think it was at an improper temp. I ended up just pouring it really slow so it didn't foam up too much. The head dissipated really quickly over the cloudy, typically-Witbier appearance.

My first thought was the smell. Earthy, musty, kinda off-putting. I couldn't place my finger on it. My wife said it smelled like Glade- "Smells like a grandmother's bathroom." We hadn't fully inspected the label yet, so when we read closer we saw that it said "a hint of lavender"- oh boy- it's way more than a "hint" of it. If you really put a gun to my head at the moment and asked "Do you think this beer will be good?" my answer would've been "No."

However, we ventured ahead and we were both pretty pleased with the taste. Very floral and fruity. It's kinda dehydrating but very easy drinking. The afteraste doesn't leave the same impression as the initial smell/sip...and that's a good thing.

I'd get this again. I think I paid $10 for it. I can't recall if I'd had anything else from "The Bruery" before but I'm looking forward to trying more.

**EDIT COMMENT: my review "score" placed it as a C+. I'm not gonna change any of the numbers I put in, but I'd consider this a solid, promising "B." Wife said "Ugh...B- for me" and she showed me a Glade ad in a magazine. "Tastes just like this."

4.54/5  rDev +16.7%

Bottle my wife got at the bottle barn in Santa Rosa and was nice enough to share with me. Pours a nice cloudy, bright, light orange-brown with at first a massive bubbly head that settles off nicely. Smells strongly of spicy goodness...cloves, coriander, big lavender...also some pear and mild orange odors. Flavor is very,very good...as well as a very interesting spin on the style. Spices are obvious and featured, especially the lavender. Spice isn't overdone, just pushed forward, leading into a nice even wheaty body with the familiar coriander and orange notes i expect in a wheat. Delicious. Thin to medium bodied, very smooth. An excellent beer.

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear straw yellow with three fingers of soapy, champagne-like head that quickly dissipates into nothing and leaves no lacing.

S: The earthy aroma of Belgian yeast and corriander dominate the nose. Grapes and green apple linger in the background.

T: The belgian yeast flavor jumps out first followed by a mix of white bread wheatiness with a sour finish. White pepper and clove are also detected.

M: water-thin and way too much carbonartion.

D: After seeing this beer in Draft Magazine's top 25 of 2008, I had to give it a try. My advice to The Bruery: leave the Belgian ales to the Belgians.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at The Red in Santa Cruz. Hazy straw color with filmy off-white lacing. Aroma of banana pith, vanilla, eggnog, wheat, and a touch of citric tartness. Flavor is similar to the aroma, with a slight dry bitterness in the finish. Body is between medium and light, pretty much perfect for the flavor profile which is very fulfilling.

3.13/5  rDev -19.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, highly effervescent, pale gold body with a swelling, white head.

Smell: Subtle notes of lightly bready malts, citrus, and spice with a fine, delicate note of flowery perfume. I suspect I'm missing a fair bit thanks to these unruly bubbles. Pity. Where's a spoon when I need one?

Taste: A bit bready, a bit grainy is the upfront maltiness. Light, restrained sweetness. Flavors of tart, citrusy lemon and a heavy-handed dose of coriander. Seemingly spicy hops with a mild bitterness. Finishes dry and with a fizziness that would outdo a mouthful of Pop Rocks.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Shamefully overcarbonated.

Drinkability: Whew!! It took much diligence to see my way to the end of this beer, and, were it not for the runaway carbonation, it could've been far better. One to revisit, provided they clear up the carbonation issue.

4.07/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Pours a medium gold color with some cloudiness. This one gives up a massive white head that is able to stick around for a while. Head ends up a moderate cap and leaves average lacing.

S - Starts out with some fruity aromas. Mostly apple and pear. The malt comes through very quickly with hints of honey and something else I can't put my finger on (could be wheat bread?). Is that orange juice that shows up midway? A sweet spice and alcohol combination finish things off. There is an herbal flavor that comes and goes but it stays in a distant background.

T - Fruity up front with notes of orange, apple, and grape. Some malty flavors push through midway to end - honey, pale malt, and cane sugar. Spice stands out a little more in the flavor and has a nice peppery feel. Hints of white bread come through at the very tail end. Alcohol is hidden well in the flavor. As it warms, big orange flavors come through.

M - Lighter bodied with very active carbonation. The carbonation could actually be dialed back a bit. Finish starts out sweet and ends up with a champagne type of dryness.

D - The Orchard White is an easy drinking brew for the style. Carbonation is too active at first but after a short rest it starts to even out and add a nice brightness to the brew overall. Alcohol is hard to pick out over the other flavors which really helps the drinkability. This is an interesting beer that I'm glad I got to try. Makes me look forward to other selections from this brewery.

3.57/5  rDev -8.2%

Fuzzy lemon peel with a Champagnesque amount of carbonation... that makes up for the almost complete absence of bubbles in my last The Bruery beer. The ivory colored cap is both airy and rocky, but a lack of stickiness leaves the glass spotlessly clean. Beer good, head not so good.

Orchard White smells like a well-brewed witbier that contains all the usual ingredients in just the right proportions. It's bright and clean and citrusy and spicy. I can't say that lavender is appreciated, however. Maybe better noses than mine can pick it out.

Waiting until the bubbles calm down is only way the flavor score is going to get a fair shake. There's simply too much harsh fizziness to get a good handle on things. It's concerning that neither of my bottles from these guys have delivered anywhere near properly carbonated beer. First, a borderline flat Autumn Maple and now a riotously bubbled Orchard White.

Ten long minutes later... this wit is boldly flavored, although I still can't say for certain that lavender makes an impact. Coriander (and probably yeast) lends a zesty spiciness to the proceedings, while 'citrus peel' adds a tart fruitiness. I wonder if lemon peel was used in addition to orange.

Maybe the abundant carbonation is partly to blame, but OW is too bitter for the style. A few more malt sugars would have given the bottom end proper support and would have allowed the top notes to flourish. I don't like beer that is reminiscent of tonic water.

The mouthfeel score is probably too generous. As far as I'm concerned, too few bubbles are better than too many. Although things begin to ease up in the bottom half of the bottle, the beer is still way too frantic.

Autumn Maple was able to overcome its carbonation issues (to some extent). Orchard White isn't. It tastes like there's a pretty good witbier in here somewhere, which is why my final beer of the year is a disappointing one. Here's hoping that 2009 is the best beer year yet.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

12/09/08- Purchased at Hi-Times in Costa Mesa, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with no freshness info found. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Lighter pale yellow color, a touch towards a whiter lemonade. Large billowy four fingered head...leaves small clumps and light lace streaks behind.

Smell- Extremely spicy. A bit earthy as well. Some corriander and white pepper mainly, but also a dirt earth like nose.

Taste- Wow, this one is quite different than any other wit I have had. It has a very large peppery base, some coriander and a lot less sugary aspects than most of this style. Slight lemony flavor and a earhty oat flavor as well...but it is all bound together with a lavender floral taste that really comes through in every sip.

Mouthfeel- The only real drawback is it's huge foamy carbonation level. Really makes it hard to consume a whole bottle...very filling.

Drinkablity- Sans the carbonation, this is a very different and quite delicious beer. I would recommend this to wit beer fans in a heartbeat.

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%

Recently acquired 750 ml bottle served at 50F into my large Gulden Draak tulip, the first pour is 90% foam, very dense. As I sit down, I notice the bottle is slowly over-foaming, and have to quickly fill my large St. Feuillien goblet as well, which finally contained the surplus gas. Orchard white is a cloudy gold with the aforementioned massiv head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is big fruity esters, lavender, a touch musty, with a strong punch of spritzy quinine.

Taste is also very tonic like, heavy of quinine. While I like my wit's made with harder water, this is too much, with the baking soda effect amplified by tannins from the lavender.

Mouthfeel is mineral-laden and spritzy, medium light bodied.

Drinkability is okay, at first I was pretty turned off by it and disappointed, but it grew on me some as I worked though it. Still, not my cup of tea from a style I enjoy very much, and a bit foreboding as my first brew from this brewery that I had high hopes for based on our shared affinity to Belgian Styles. It also cost more then the imported benchmarks of the style, even though it's made in the US.

Orchard White from The Bruery