Orchard White | The Bruery

Style: Witbier

Added by DoubleJ on 05-01-2008

firstprev| 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next → last
4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

This is an exceptional beer.

Pours a hazy golden color with a 4 finger head (even after the pour, the foam in the bottle eventually starts finding its way out!). I'll forgive the over carbonation though since the beer itself is so very good.

Smells amazing. Lavender is delicately on the forefront with a wonderful orange peel-like sweetness. Very delicate and just a great smelling beer.

The taste, luckily, is right up there as well. Well spiced with a nice complement of wheat. Sweet orange. Wheat. Spicy kick at the end. Yeasty. Ever so slight sour twang at the end. Refreshing.

The mouthfeel is very lively, yet the oats seem to add a slight bit of richness to the mouth. Nice.

Drinkability is exceptional. Perfect for a summer day.

Highly recommended. One of the best beers I've had in a while.

4.27/5  rDev +9.8%

750mL bottle purchased at Hi-Times. Pours with a ton of foam. After getting a full glass it was still too carbonated so I repoured it once and was fine after that. Appearance is a cloudly light gold. Once it warms up it becomes a clear pale yellow. The smell has a lot of wheat in it. It smells like a standard Wit at least to my senses but I can usually never specifically pick out corriander or the orange anyway. The taste is sweet, tangy, lively on the tongue, and finishes with a dry floral note. I can't tell if there's lavender here but then I don't really know what lavender tastes like. The mouthfeel is fine after repouring, light overall.
Pretty good Wit, I drank it easily.

___

6/3/08
Had another bottle. Still pretty overcarbonated but I had a different tasting experience this time. The last time maybe it was because I couldn't take a lot of time to enjoy it and had to drink it rather fast. That tart wheaty taste is still there rather strong and nice, but I got a touch more sweetness out of it this time. It just pleased me a bit more than the first time which was good anyway.

4.89/5  rDev +25.7%

I had this on tap a week ago so I will do my best to give an accurate review. The review will be updated once I get my greedy hands on a few more bottles of this stuff - it's just incredible!

The head brewer is not afraid to try new and exciting things and so far, he has not let my taste buds down.

On to the review..

A - Pours golden in color, haze from the wheat and yeast, and a really nice dense thick white head.

S - You know - it really is the aroma that gets your mouth watering with this beer. Sweet and citrus fruity with a touch of spice and maybe some pepper notes... the lavender just brings it all together.

T - I've never really been a big fan of wits as whole but this beer is just so good. Nice and grainy sweet with lots of citrus flavors with some pepper spiciness to it. The lavender that was in the aroma is also right there in the mix but it doesn't detract from the beer - it really enhances it. Yep, fortunately the flavor is much like the aroma! There's nice a complexity I assume comes from the yeast.

M - Moderate carbonation. Smooth yet crisp and slightly tart.

D - In the past, I've never been a big fan of wits. This beer opened my eyes to how complex, interesting, and down right tasty a wit can really be. This beer did for me what Duchesse de Bourgogne did for me in regards to Flanders Red - I love these beers!

This was one of the first beers I tried from The Bruery and is probably one of my favorites. I also tried their Levuds and Saison Rue and both of those were just incredible. I will write the review on those beers once I get a bottle - I'd like to give them an accurate review.

If you are able to get your hands on one of their offerings, I highly recommend it. This brewery has some exciting flavors going on and I anticipate big things from them in the near future.

4.62/5  rDev +18.8%

2L growler, update 2-4-09, since I think the beer is at it's best out of the tap, no carbonation issues as I found in the bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy goldenrod, with a huge cap of champagne like bubbles which leave pretty fast, fun to pour.

S: Great nose - lemon, pepper, wheat, the slightest hint of the lavender which I found more evident when I had this ale on tap (Bottle). The freshness of the growler pour just hightens the great floral scent.

T: Very bright, crisp flavour, lemon, citric acid and orange juice, cereal grains, the lavender is there in the background, subtle, but adds a great compliment of flavour to the brew. Yeast character is there in the end, just adds to the complexity - more of a grainy taste. Great mix of flavours in this wit.

M: Very highly carbonated, too much IMO for a witbier, made the flavour hard to find at times in the bottle. Out of the growler, the carbonation is well in its place and makes the beer that much more drinkable. Quite smooth in this serving type. (Original bottle score - 2.5)

D: This is quite a good beer from the new brewery in Placentia, the flavour is great, if they lowered the carbonation in this it would truly be on par with the best wits in the world, the flavour is that good (original post). Edit - The growler pour really takes the carbonation problems from the bottle and gets them out of the situation, making this my favourite wit ever.

4.92/5  rDev +26.5%

I tried this beer in a few places: The So. Cal. Homebrewers Festival and at The Bruery.

All I can say is: WOW!. This belgian wit style beer pours with a dense, tightly bubbled white head and the aroma's wonderful. Spiced with lavender and corriander with some citrusy notes too. The yeast is also a bit spicy too which adds to the complexity of this beer. This is a nice session beer and I could see myself having more than a few of these on a hot summer day.

Enjoy this classic example of beer responsibly, as it could sneek up on you in a hurry if you don't count the number of them you drink.

firstprev| 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next → last