Trade Winds Tripel | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Tripel

Availability: Summer

Our Summer seasonal, Trade Winds Tripel is a Belgian-style Golden Ale with a Southeast Asian twist. Instead of using candi sugar (typical for such a beer), we use rice in the mash to lighten the body and increase the gravity, and spice with Thai Basil. The result is an aromatic, digestible and complex beer made for a lazy summer evening.

Added by Bitterbill on 05-25-2008

Liked:
3.92/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,136 |  Reviews: 354
4.08/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours crystal clear and golden in color with a white, near two-finger width head. Fair retention, slowly fizzing away to reveal a mostly barren surface with a razor thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell - Sweet, tart and slightly spicy. red and green apple, hints of unripened banana, clove and basil.

Taste - Follows the nose. Green apple tartness with light red apple sweetness. Lesser banana funk along with some mild clove spice and basil herb character. Finish is the aforementioned with quite a cloying amount of sugar in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, then lightens to a crisp, semi-dry finish.

Overall - Drinks more like a Belgian pale than a triple, but without the syrupy mouthfeel. I'm not one for thick, syrupy belgians, but still I can't truly appreciate this offering. Maybe the general flavor of trips and quads is the bigger culprit for me and not necessarily the syrupy mouthfeel? That's what I've gathered from this beer. I don't like that residual sugary sweetness, and this one delivers plenty.

4.65/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.19/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Really crisp and refreshing. Had it at a bottle tasting tonight at Yonkers Brewing. Nice light color.
Smells a little of the basil and rice it's mashed with. I recommend. Nice smooth texture. Bet it would be good with food. Presents well in a tulip.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Had on-tap at Champs in State College, PA. Poured into a snifter.

L: Clear light golden pour. 2 fingers of white head.

S: Belgian yeast... estery and fruity.

T/F: A very nice tripel... and pretty true to the style. Esters and yest... a bit fruity with apricot and bananas and just a tinge of the thai basil at the end. I never would have picked up on it if I hadn't read the description first. Carbonated and refreshing.

O: A very tasty beer and a better tripel than I expected after reading the description (the rice and thai basil gave me pause) but a nice find. Would definitely drink it again.

3.76/5  rDev -4.1%

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

3.39/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

3.99/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle dated 3/31/15:
Let this sit a while in the fridge unintentionally. Funny thing is after popping it, I had in my head I was pouring a bottle of wine (might've been the wine glasses I was forced to use). The carbonation broke me of my daydream, but if not that, the clarity and color might have kept me going. Light pale gold, I swear it looks like a Chardonnay. Except yet again for the head. Scattered small bubbles can be seen rising to support a fluffy white canopy.

The nose continues the wine comparison, sort of. Fragrant floral notes, a bit of herb (could be the Thai basil, but not so distinct to my nose). There's also a lightly sweet Belgian note in there (maybe the rice adding some sweetness to the esters).

Taste opens a bit sweet, and knowing there is rice used makes me think of some minor similarities to the beers I have out at a Japanese restaurant. But the Belgian yeast keeps the party from going the AAL route. Banana, little peach, even a little strawberry in the fruit notes I get-none individually strong. The ending is where I get a little herbal note in the taste.

The feel is very light and lightly effervescent. The herbal note at the end actually adds some drying bitterness to the finish.

A very interesting beer. Maybe a tad sweet, but it is a Tripel. My GF topped off my glass with the last from the bottle, and that made the beer not nearly as beautiful as it was originally. I loved reviewing it, and would grab another once a year or so, because we both enjoyed it enough.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Trade Winds Tripel from The Bruery