Trade Winds Tripel | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Tripel

Availability: Summer

Our Summer seasonal, Trade Winds Tripel is a Belgian-style Golden Ale with a Southeast Asian twist. Instead of using candi sugar (typical for such a beer), we use rice in the mash to lighten the body and increase the gravity, and spice with Thai Basil. The result is an aromatic, digestible and complex beer made for a lazy summer evening.

Added by Bitterbill on 05-25-2008

Ratings: 1,132 |  Reviews: 351
4.05/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

3.63/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Had on-tap at Champs in State College, PA. Poured into a snifter.

L: Clear light golden pour. 2 fingers of white head.

S: Belgian yeast... estery and fruity.

T/F: A very nice tripel... and pretty true to the style. Esters and yest... a bit fruity with apricot and bananas and just a tinge of the thai basil at the end. I never would have picked up on it if I hadn't read the description first. Carbonated and refreshing.

O: A very tasty beer and a better tripel than I expected after reading the description (the rice and thai basil gave me pause) but a nice find. Would definitely drink it again.

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%

3.9/5  rDev -1%

3.39/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

4.57/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle dated 3/31/15:
Let this sit a while in the fridge unintentionally. Funny thing is after popping it, I had in my head I was pouring a bottle of wine (might've been the wine glasses I was forced to use). The carbonation broke me of my daydream, but if not that, the clarity and color might have kept me going. Light pale gold, I swear it looks like a Chardonnay. Except yet again for the head. Scattered small bubbles can be seen rising to support a fluffy white canopy.

The nose continues the wine comparison, sort of. Fragrant floral notes, a bit of herb (could be the Thai basil, but not so distinct to my nose). There's also a lightly sweet Belgian note in there (maybe the rice adding some sweetness to the esters).

Taste opens a bit sweet, and knowing there is rice used makes me think of some minor similarities to the beers I have out at a Japanese restaurant. But the Belgian yeast keeps the party from going the AAL route. Banana, little peach, even a little strawberry in the fruit notes I get-none individually strong. The ending is where I get a little herbal note in the taste.

The feel is very light and lightly effervescent. The herbal note at the end actually adds some drying bitterness to the finish.

A very interesting beer. Maybe a tad sweet, but it is a Tripel. My GF topped off my glass with the last from the bottle, and that made the beer not nearly as beautiful as it was originally. I loved reviewing it, and would grab another once a year or so, because we both enjoyed it enough.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.42/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet.

L - Light golden color with just a bit of haze. Head is pure white and made of teeny tiny bubbles. It is not overly persistent, but does leave sticky lacing.

S - The aroma is dominated by spices, with basil being prominent. I also get some lemongrass. There is some grainy malt low in the background, but no obvious hops. I do not detect any of the yeast notes I'd expect from a tripel.

T - The flavors are also dominated by spices. Coriander and basil are my impressions, along with a low lemon tartness. There is little malt to give it background and no hops or yeast characteristics to compete with the spices.

F - Body is a bit thin for the style. Carbonation is low and does not make a major impression on the mouthfeel. Moderate hops bitterness and low alcohol presence.

O - This is an interesting, spice-forward beer, but it is not a standout as a tripel. If it was labeled as a Belgian Special Ale I would have had no preconceived notions and I would have judged it on taste alone. However, since it's called a tripel I feel I have to compare it to that style, and it is lacking in malt/yeast aromas and flavors that are expected.

4.78/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Trade Winds Tripel from The Bruery