Trade Winds Tripel | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Tripel

Availability: Summer

Our Summer seasonal, Trade Winds Tripel is a Belgian-style Golden Ale with a Southeast Asian twist. Instead of using candi sugar (typical for such a beer), we use rice in the mash to lighten the body and increase the gravity, and spice with Thai Basil. The result is an aromatic, digestible and complex beer made for a lazy summer evening.

Added by Bitterbill on 05-25-2008

Reviews: 351 | Ratings: 1,132
3.6/5  rDev -8.6%

750 from ?

Blondish coloration with crisp, but not rocky head. Subsides soon. Smell is of isoamyl acetate, some alcohol, a peppery (possibly from the basil?) funk. Taste is similar with candi sugar at the end, but doesn't hold up. The mouthfeel is a little thin and as some have mentioned, the carbonation is fairly intense and takes away from the taste unless you make an effort to destroy it. If this were a more concentrated brew, it would be more pleasing to me.

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Split a 750ml poured Into a duvel glass.

A: pours a pale orange golden with a massive three finger white head that lingers for a long time, leaves some spots of lacing.

S: I get a strange malty sweetness along with a good dose of Belgian yeast aroma, I feel like the basil and the rice are deffinatly apparent in the nose as well, deffinatly an interesting aroma, not all tha appealing to me personally, but interesting none the less.

T: much like the nose, a deffinate malt sweetness with a touch of basil and Belgian yeast.... Again I feel the rice is deffinatly noticeable, a very interesting flavor profile.

M: medium body with medium carbonation, nice drunk ability the alcohol is well hidden, finish dry.

O: this is a very interesting beer, I enjoyed it much more then I though I would with it not being one of my favorite styles, well rounded and unique.

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours crystal clear and golden in color with a white, near two-finger width head. Fair retention, slowly fizzing away to reveal a mostly barren surface with a razor thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell - Sweet, tart and slightly spicy. red and green apple, hints of unripened banana, clove and basil.

Taste - Follows the nose. Green apple tartness with light red apple sweetness. Lesser banana funk along with some mild clove spice and basil herb character. Finish is the aforementioned with quite a cloying amount of sugar in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, then lightens to a crisp, semi-dry finish.

Overall - Drinks more like a Belgian pale than a triple, but without the syrupy mouthfeel. I'm not one for thick, syrupy belgians, but still I can't truly appreciate this offering. Maybe the general flavor of trips and quads is the bigger culprit for me and not necessarily the syrupy mouthfeel? That's what I've gathered from this beer. I don't like that residual sugary sweetness, and this one delivers plenty.

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

750 ml bottle. Served in a DFH goblet, the beer pours a hazy golden/orange color with a couple inch frothy off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both pretty good. Aroma is sweet and spicy, it smells like herbs (I assume that's the Thai Basil), peppery spice, bready malt, tropical fruit and some citrus. It tastes like herbs/basil, sweet malt, peppery spice and lemon peel. The herbal and spice flavors are stronger in the taste, compared to the aroma which I thought was fruitier. There's also a weird bitter herbal-like finish. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a bit dry and also has a lot of carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad, but there was too much carbonation in this beer for me. I thought this was a decent enough brew, I'd try it again in the future.

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 750ml into a goblet. The color is deep golden, with a frothy white head that dissipates ever so slowly. Somewhat cloudy and minimal lacing.

The aroma is very fruity, along with a coconutty taste that I presume is from the Thai Basil. There is also a yeasty overtone and a strong spicy presence.

The taste is very light and herbal. Some citrus and basil predominates, followed by a yeasty-grainy taste, and finishing with a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel is carbonated and light-bodied. Minimal alcohol presence and it finishes dry.

This is a nice beer, but somewhat weird by itself with the Thai Basil. I would be very interested in trying to pair it with a nice dinner or cooking with it.

3.57/5  rDev -9.4%

Aroma is strong and malty with a nice overtone of sweet fruit and hints of yeast and honey. It pours a nice clear golden yellow, typical but with a very thick, fluffy, persistent off-white head. Flavor is crisp, malty and a little fruity with a hint of yeast and a bit of an alcohol nip - not quite as complex as I expected, but still tasty. Texture is smooth, a little tingly, a teensy on the watery side but still decent. This is not the best tripel I've had, but it's worthy of at least a try.

3.56/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a slightly cloudy straw gold. Moderate carbonation with a bubbley white head. It’s got a dry somewhat spicy aroma. Thinner body than I expected. Flavor is an interesting balance of spicy sweetness balanced by its dryness. very interesting spicey, slight liquorice herb flavor in the finish.

3.56/5  rDev -9.6%

My first beer from the Bruery, purchased at Whole Foods Market in Tribeca at $10.99 for the 750mL bottle.
The pour- looks like I would expect upon pouring a tripel. Deep amber and quite hazy with a happy amount of white head on the initial pour. Lacing looks like it's going to stick around for awhile.
Scents- I get some soap right off the bat. After a little bit it settles down into fruityness. Flirts with reminding one too much of perfume. The bready and earthyness reigns the perfume character back in.
Flavors- not-quite-yet juicy nectarine. A hint of that kind of bitterness and some of that sweetness.
As far as an American brewed version of a Belgian style goes this is pretty well done. Still, there are better options out there for the same or less money. I would be happy to try other things from this brewery based on this beer.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle into a goblet.

Pours a hazy orange copper, with about a 1/2 finger covering of eggshell-white head. Retains with a smooth layer of froth, leaving a more moderate looking cascade of foamy lacing behind. The aroma has a nice feeling base of bread, sugary sweetness, and fuity esters going on with it. Floral hops and plenty of spice give this some zip in the nose.

The taste is sweet, sugary, and fruity, with a moderate pop from the spices and hops. The basil can be felt across the back but isn't nearly as overdone as I thought it might be. Moderate yeasty dryness to the finish, with a good bit of residual tang leftover as well. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a crisp yet still very smooth and mellow feel to it. I'm getting some warmth out of the body but nothing overly distracting.

I really appreciate the effort and innovation here (like I do with most of the efforts from the Bruery) but this one seemed to overdo it just a bit. The mix of sweetness, fruit, and spice, gave this a strong tang that was a little overwhelming at times (and I even split this bottle with a buddy). I'm glad I gave it a try but I don't necessarily see myself buying a bottle again anytime soon.

3.55/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light yellowish golden color with a big thick three finger head. The aroma is spicy with hints of honey and citrus. The taste has a big sweet honey flavor with hints of candied yeast and spice. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall it is a solid beer not as sweet as some triples but nice and complex.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%

Turbid apricot hued, roiling with carbonation which feeds the huge, seemingly-neverending, off-white head. Lacing is superb.
It brings chardonnay and champagne on the nose, with a health sprinkling of pepper. A large hunk of Rock candy is also in play. Bits of dried apricot and peach arrive as it warms. Basil isn't specifically noticed, but possibly in the mix if one is sniffing for it.
The rice is noticed immediately with it's lightly sweet crispiness. It light and thin, and seemingly not capable of balancing what comes next. Fruitiness comes with melon and pear notes. Yeast adds pepper and dry, old leather funkiness (I'd have guessed some Brett was in here). Just a flicker of sweet, anise-tinged basil. Hops are floral and astringent. Or is that the alcohol? A big flare of heat explodes on the swallow, melting all the pleasant moments that preceded it.
Medium-full bodied, given perkiness by the eddies of CO2.
This carries all the peripherals of a top-notch domestic Tripel. Taste-wise (specifically, boozy heat-wise) it fails to deliver as it burns past all its nuance and charm.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this during a summer cook out. It looked very inviting in the glass with a color of the inside of an orange, but I felt the aroma was a little on the weak side. I couldn't taste the thai spice they were talking about but it was refreshing with a crisp finish. Overall it was pretty good, but I can't say I'll be investing in another one.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The bottle is two years old and has been in the cellar since the day I bought it. The beer pours a clear copper hue with fizzy bleached white head of 1 cm foaming up and fading to an edge layer.
Aroma is fruity with pears and white grapes mixing with hints of candied sugar and a little booze.
First sip reveals an average body with fine yet fizzy carbonation.
Flavor is sweet fruity malt with white grapes and a little dry vinous notes on the finish. Also a little peppery alcohol on the swallow. Not an overly complex beer but no flaws, an good tripel, but Id love a little more complexity in the flavors.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

So what blew in? Pours a very carbonated hazy straw colored yellow color with a lighter lemon yellow hue. Due to carbonation had to let it sit for a long time before I could try it.

With ample time for aroma, there are two stories to tell. When first smelled there was some noticeable off notes. Some acetaldehyde, chalky, yeasty off notes and fizzy carbonation. After letting it sit for some time though, some better smells come out. There is a light bready and white wine aromas. Some fruity aromas, peaches pears and some minor bubblegum. Noticeable yeasty aromas. No real basil aromas.

The taste has more of a saison like flavors. Fruity notes come out with pears, peaches, and white wine/grape notes. Some nice peppery spice notes and a touch of coriander. The malt is bready with noticeable biscuit like flavors. For a triple, looking more of a grain pils like flavor and this is really lacking. Stronger yeast notes with a Belgium twang. A touch of sourness more on the acetic sour milk thing. Some herbal notes in the finish.

The body is hard to pick out with such a high carbonation bite. More moderate feel. Overall, the carbonation is just offsetting and really distracts from the nose, taste and feel. Beyond that though, there are some nice saison notes but really lacking the triple notes.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: Over-carbonated it seems, takes up almost all of the glass. Pour is a light golden straw with a touch of amger

Smell: Typical tripel spiceness with some lemon and herbal notes

Taste: Everything about this beer seems muted and subdued, which is unusual for the Bruery. Herbal, citrus and floral notes with a bit of sweetness behind them.

Mouthfeel: Creamy but over carbonated

Drinkability: I picked this up on a whim; finished about 1/3 of a glass and then forgot about it / lost interest; dumped the rest in the AM

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

I was really excited about this beer, mostly because I have been seeing more and more of Bruery beer in the bottle shops I frequent. However, this was the first real plunge I took into the creative works of the Bruery, and it was at a premium ($16 a bottle).

Appearance: Bright, golden, almost tangerine color with a bright white head (how did they do that?!).

Smell: Very belgiany, for lack of a better term. However, the extreme head exhibited that the beer was perhaps overcarbonated, and it smelled as such.

Taste: The beer announces that it is brewed with rice and thai basil. I do not necessarily have a sophisticated enough palate, but I feel that I would recognize the Thai basil if it was even an undertone. However, the rice seemed to add an airiness to the taste. A decent belgian, but probably not worth the price I paid.

Mouthfeel: I think the carbonation came into play here quite a bit... Perhaps the bottle I had was agitated so much in transit or something (although I did refrigerate for over 24 hours). Either way, it was very bubbly and whisped off of my tongue very quickly, but left a lingering taste of belgiany goodness.

Overall: I have to say that I was a tad disappointed with what was on the label versus what the flavor turned out to be. With that said, I like everything that I read about The Bruery, and I will definitely explore more of their brews.

3.48/5  rDev -11.7%

[Best served in a Trappist glass]

Poured a hazy medium orange with a huge white fizzy head that was mostly diminishing and had great lacing. The aroma was quite strong with the odor of a soapy yeast, a mild herbal hop and straw malts with a hint of fruitiness. It tasted mildly sweet and acidic from the start and had a strong yeasty finish which had a hint of spiciness and a little taste of citrus with the flavor lasting an average amount of time. Mouthfeel was light in body and watery yet dry in texture with a nice lively carbonation. Overall a very nice tasting tripel.

3.47/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear golden colour with an extremely long lasted white head. Head retention should be much better given the style.

Bright and incredibly full of fruity yeast notes. Slightly tart. Where's the Thai Basil.

Light malt with the rice making itself known. Nice yeasty, tart fruit note with some good balanced herbal hops. Maybe that "hop" character is the basil but it's good nonetheless.

Light body with moderately-high carbonation. Very crisp.

A nice tripel with some good flavour. The tart fruitiness is interesting. Decent.

3.46/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750ml bottle, served in Stone Levitation glasses

A - pours with a HUGE amount of fluffy sticky white foam, absolutely covers the glass with huge chunks. the beer is clear, gold in color.

S - large amounts of freshly chopped basil, mint, thyme...underneath is a light layer of yeast.

T - quite herbaceous following the nose with more basil and mint, some lightly tart lemon rind and green apples. finishes yeasty.

M - light body with sharp carbonation, finishes insanely dry and prickly.

D - well, not a Triple...really reminds me (I'd have trouble picking one out blindly) of Saison Du Buff. OK enough for a small serving but not much more.

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

WOAH THAT'S A LOTTA HEAD! No seriously. Ridonculous amount of foam... which does settle down quickly and prettily leaving a very nice lacing and a dense, cloudy amber coloring.

It smells like a bar should smell, a happy/hoppy scent that is very obviously beer, with a bit of a croissant thrown in (sugary and yeasty smells).

This feels very nice on the tongue, but the immediate taste is a bit sweeter than some other Tripels I've had, though it has a good nectarine tartness as an end note.

I was recommended this beer by a Whole Foods employee/friend of mine who had nothing but rave reviews. Since he likes his women, I'd make this analogy: I wouldn't throw this beer out of bed, but it would be low on the list of my booty calls.

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

(From notes)

A - Lightly hazy orange-yellow color; with barely a wisp of a head

S - Sour peachy aroma; yeasty; very ripened fruit aromas; touch sweet

T - Boozey apricot and peach flavors; a little too sweet for me, but finishes pretty dry. The flavors are a bit out-of-whack to my palate, or maybe it's just the brew on cask

M - Medium; virtually no carbonation and dryish

D - I could barely make it through a full pint of this on cask; just didn't work out well and the boozey-sweet tendencies really made this too medicinal

Overall, I really need to try this in bottle form as the cask just didn't work out. This was just not great stuff on cask, and it's a shame b/c I'm a huge fan of the Bruery overall.

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a duvel tulip.

A: 3.75, a nice orange translucent amber with a quickly dissipating head. Nice lacing coats the side of the glass.

S: 3.25, mainly tropical notes, light notes with not much aromatic bouquet occuring.

T: 3.0, coconut, a little pineapple, and spiciness. The basil has to be discerned, not a very pungent note. As the brew warms the basil becomes more prominent. The rice adds a sweetness that is reminiscent of sake almost. A sweet abrupt taste on the tongue and the diminishes almost instantly into a drinking watery beer. At 8.1% watch it.

M: 3.25, The notes do not linger. A very tropical sweet swiftness occurs and passes like a windy evening storm.

O: The breury never lets me down and I appreciate their approach to brewing. On a hot summer day this beer is a superb alternative to IPA, crisp, a little carbonation, tropical, and finally, spicy. I was not expecting this favor, but I enjoyed the fusion.

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

Beers from The Bruery tend to be "big" in every sense of the word - from the bottling to the composition and taste, they seem to do nothing "small."

This beer is no exception: pours a deep, cloudy golden amber with a thick, sturdy off-white head. Aroma is subtle, nutty.

Taste and mouthfeel are reminiscent of champagne, minus the sugar. Smooth and lightly effervescent, this beer is bittersweet, foamy and frothy with a undertones of citrus and a mild woodiness.

Still, there is something slightly off-putting about this beer. It's drinkable enough, but I'm not sure I'll make it a "regular."

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

750ml poured into a St. Bernardus Watou chalice.

Appearance: golden orange with creamy white head and silky lacing.

Aroma: citrus, herbs, apple, ginger and oak.

Taste: bland overall. basil predominates with slightly grassy and delicately hoppy taste.

Mouthfeel: smooth light-medium body with medium carbonation.

Overall impression: crisp yet soft, but tastes more like a saison. a one-timer for sure.

3.42/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet.

L - Light golden color with just a bit of haze. Head is pure white and made of teeny tiny bubbles. It is not overly persistent, but does leave sticky lacing.

S - The aroma is dominated by spices, with basil being prominent. I also get some lemongrass. There is some grainy malt low in the background, but no obvious hops. I do not detect any of the yeast notes I'd expect from a tripel.

T - The flavors are also dominated by spices. Coriander and basil are my impressions, along with a low lemon tartness. There is little malt to give it background and no hops or yeast characteristics to compete with the spices.

F - Body is a bit thin for the style. Carbonation is low and does not make a major impression on the mouthfeel. Moderate hops bitterness and low alcohol presence.

O - This is an interesting, spice-forward beer, but it is not a standout as a tripel. If it was labeled as a Belgian Special Ale I would have had no preconceived notions and I would have judged it on taste alone. However, since it's called a tripel I feel I have to compare it to that style, and it is lacking in malt/yeast aromas and flavors that are expected.

Trade Winds Tripel from The Bruery