Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse | The Bruery

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Ratings: 1,595 |  Reviews: 432
4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours the color of grapefruit juice with a big, fluffly white head that has pretty good retention.

S: A big wheat aroma and a tad of funk. Some hints of white pepper and lemon.

T: Very light, but has a great taste. Lemon, tart green apple, vinegar, and a touch of baby aspirin. Tart but not exactly sour. Like it restrains itself before it gets so sour that it makes you pucker up. A great take on the style and the perfect summer beer.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Hazy pale golden colour, light white head, subtle lacing. Smell is funky, tart lemons, sour in the nose and pretty yeasty. Taste is sour, tart and lemony, yeast, citrus, lemon juice like points, very nice. High prickly carbonation you can feel all across the tongue, good feel, nice weight. Very nice stuff here, very drinkable, I think we knocked off the bottle in about 3-4 minutes, would welcome again gladly.

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells like sulfur. Tastes like water with lots of lemon. Not overly sour. Decent.

2.96/5  rDev -26.7%

109th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
750ML bottle

App- A dark yellow with a large three finger head that was very fast dissolving. This was a lot darker than I thought it would be.

Smell- Tart & Yeasty with a somewhat mild earthiness.

Taste- I'm leaning towards saying they put sour liquid in a vat and called it beer and bottled it. This thing is tart and tangy, a bit much for me.

Mouth- Its a big flavor rush on this. Its crisp and clean and sweet.

Drink- I finished the bottle. If all sours are like this, then I don't think they are for me.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

I found this bottle about three months ago on the bargain shelf. I checked BA, and it recommended against extended cellaring. At the price ($9), I figured: "Why not"? I held it for three months while trying to convince my wife to share it with me. I thought that my wife would enjoy this.

After three months, we opened the Hottenroth to share over barbequed chicken. They worked well together. The sweetness in the beer went with the wet sauce and the grilled bell peppers.

This is a good example for the style. The sweetness and a touch of funk work really well with white meat, or on its own. I can see picking this up for a summer evening. I hope to have both again soon.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Another brew sampled at Downtown Johnny Brown's San Diego.

A: Pours a very light clear yellow hue. Little head with lots of fizz.

S: Nice, tart, and funky. Apples dominate with hints of funky Brett.

T: Nice tart kick in the mouth. Under ripe green apples mix with tart grapefruit. Light notes of funky yeast push through as well.

M: Very light, tart, yet drinkable.

D: Good I like this one, will head back for a few more pints before I head home.

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery