Hottenroth Berliner Weisse | The Bruery

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Ratings: 1,594 |  Reviews: 432

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed out of a brown 750 mL bottle with a bottling date that had almost completely worn away: 05/25/13. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip glass.

Appearance - Frothy meringue-colored head sits atop a ruddy golden-yellow body with plenty of haze and cloudiness. Looks almost like lemonade. After very little time, the foamy head fades away to leave a halo of white around the edge of the glass. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - Crisp to the nose, acidic and lemony zest. Fresh and sinus-clearing and makes one want to dive in, due to the refreshing aroma. As the tartness fades, a softer element from the wheat peeks through.

Taste - Deliciously tart and refreshing, like drinking a lemonade that isn't sweet, but also isn't puckeringly sour. Like what you might have if you mixed lemon juice and sparkling water, with a very nice play of zest and acidity along the center of the tongue. Put it this way: it managed to be tart enough to satisfy my sour-craving taste, but also not overbearing to my friend who isn't a big puckerhead. An incredible tasting beer.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and dry. Light body and moderate carbonation.

Overall, this is probably my favorite BW style beer to date. I've also had Bell's Oarsman, Professor Fritz Briem 1809 and DH Festina Peche. The 3.1% abv also makes it easy to polish off a full 750 without getting sloppy, so that's nice. I will definitely have to seek out additional bottles of this wonderful sour beer from The Bruery. The more I have their beers, the more impressed I become.

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle, with bottled on date 03/25/2013 printed on the side. My second beer from The Bruery, acquired at the local beer store for $8.99 plus tax. Expectations are high considering this beer's current ratings.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Aggressive pour yields three fingers of quickly dissolving fizzing white bubbly head on top of a pale murky straw yellow colored body. Head audibly dissolves away into nothingness faster than the head on a soda pop. No lacing. Not great looking, in all honesty. The final pour a good hour later, reveals tons of sediment twirling, floating, and sinking in the glass.

S - Smell is of fruity tartness, lactic acid / bacterial funkiness, yeast, wheat grains, and vinegar. A more pleasant grainy aroma begins to creep out as the beer warms and opens up.

T - Taste is quite strange also: this is nothing like what I was expecting. I'm not very experienced with this style of beer, so the tart, sour nature of this beer is surprising to me. If I didn't know it was supposed to taste like this, I'd think I had bought an infected bottle. Bretty, yeasty, grainy, and tart fruitiness in the vain of lemons & sour green apples. Bacterial funkiness on the finish, not unlike a Kombucha drink.

M - Feel is tart, tingly, sour, and dry. Ideal carbonation.

Overall, a very strange different beer compared to what I'm used to. It definitely took a little bit for the flavors to come together, and for the beer to finally grow on me. Still, it is nothing like what I was expecting. Not a beer I would want to be out pounding, but it would probably pair well with some BBQ, despite the food pairings listed on BeerAdvocate. I would be interested to see what this would be like mixed with some raspberry or woodruff syrup like the bottle suggests doing. I was a fan of the lambics that I've tried, and was expecting similar results here, but I guess this style will take some easing into, for me. Still, I'm glad to have tried it, but I guess I need to further acquire a taste for this style.

The Bruery Hottenroth Berliner Weisse ---3.5/5

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle into tulip. bottled 03/25/13.

A: a minor haze on a bright straw yellow body. head is bright white and tightly bubbled. moderate retention and no lacing what-so-ever.

S: a lot of tartness starts the nose off. lemons. peels. maybe even a little bit of salt? mild earthy undertone. grain is there too, but hides behind much of the lacto-tartness.

T: flavor is an earthy tartness. lactic acid is there but not that strong. even more grain here than the nose. especially in the finish. a lingering tangy wheat flavor going on. lemons once again revisit the palate before a pretty dry finish.

M: carb is fulfilling without being overly vivacious. light bodied.

D: a really good take on the style. without necessarily trying a plethora of German-made examples of this style I think this is one hell of an American stab at it. get some.

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On-tap at Tørst.

A: Clear straw body with a thin head of fine white bubbles that settle into a ring. Not bad.

S: Wheat malt is dominant, with graininess and light spice. Faint lemony tartness, but not much. All right, but quite light on acidity for my tastes.

T: Better here, with green apple tartness front and center; the soft wheat shows up on the finish. Clean aftertaste - almost too cleanly watery. Very tasty, but almost like a Berliner Light, and yes I'm aware it's supposed to be only 3.1% - I'm talking about flavor intensity, not strength.

M: Light and delicate, with an initial burst of soft carbonation that fades quickly. Interesting.

O: This is a really well-made beer, but it lacked that depth of sour grainy funk that I love about the best Berliners. Maybe I've just been spoiled lately by Weiss Trash Culture and New Glarus Berliner Weisse, but this just didn't capture my fancy the way I expected. Excellent but not exciting.

Cheers!

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

750ml bottle poured into a HF stemmed glass

cloudy straw yellow, opaque, no lacing and the retention of the initial large white fizzy head is minimal.

smells like green apples, pure lemon juice, lactic acid, sour grapes.

Taste is very sour. Lots of acid. Green apple bite chased with sucking on a lemon. Not much sweetness to this at all. I like the sour but there is basically no complementing flavors. The wheat backing is there but isn't very loud in the setting of brash acid onslaught.

Feel is light modied with high carbonation, crisp and very dry, puckering, good for a hot day.

Overall I'm bumping this up because when mixed with a fruit beer like Rubaeus, it is actually very nice. Perhaps a fruit syrup mixed with this, as in traditional for the style, would make this a more complete beer.

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery