Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse | The Bruery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Ratings: 1,595 |  Reviews: 432

4.96/5  rDev +22.8%

4.94/5  rDev +22.3%

Here is a beer that I think people have a hard time rating without the proper exposure to the style. Having tried about 7 different Berliner Weisse brews from commercial breweries, and many many homebrew attempts, I think this beer is the perfect example of the style. The smell is clean with a touch of wheat/grain, yet you still get that touch of lacto vinegar and citrus. The flavor is well rounded and features citric acid and light grains. It is the perfect level of sour, and the carbonation is spot on. I love this beer and could drink it all day. The only part that isn't perfect is the head, which didn't seem to last long. But who cares about that with a stellar berliner like this.

4.94/5  rDev +22.3%

appearance: poured fizzy. golden with no head rentention and no lacing

smell: lemon, tartness

taste: good sour weiss, first real berliner I have had. interesting

mouthfeel: light bodied, high carbonation

drinkability: great summer ale and good for it's purpose

update: starting to love this style and this beer. re rate

4.85/5  rDev +20%

poured out of a fresh growler into a pint glass.

pours a nice hazy light yellow color thats somewhat clear with almost no head.

amazing sharp smell with a great wheat spicyness to it.

this beer is flat out tasty it is amazing how much flavor is crammed into this beer for such a low ABV, its got a nice sharp citrus sour funk to it and yet still has some spice and smoothness from the wheat.

great mouth feel and drink ability extremely refreshing easy to drink and just a flat out tasty beer. Wish I still lived close enough for growler fills.

4.83/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from bottle into tall weizen glass

Aroma: Tart lemon zest, accompanied by a pleasantly musty barnyard funk. Hay with light cereal grain in the background.

Appearance: Light pillow of three-fingered bright white foam collapses quickly after first pour, but hangs around more after subsequent ones. Wow! The body is crystal clear, and of an almost iridescent light gold color that's more striking than any other beer I've had.

Flavor: Lemony tartness meets the tongue first. Extremely light with significant refreshing tartness, which works very well with the crisp carbonation. The puckering sour citrus flavor remains through a quick, clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, champagne-like CO2. Light body. Low alcohol is evident, but not missed in this one.

Overall: I've said from time to time that, although I love craft beer, I still think a light American lager is the most refreshing beer during the summer. Well, I'm eating my words big time with this one. Highly sessionable, and HIGHLY recommended! I just wish it were more readily available...

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

Fo a Berliner this is one of the best I have tasted. I hope to duplicate this in a homebrew some time. It is verytasty.

poured into a Weihenstephan weizen glass. Perfect color. Very light but cloudy. Nice head formed but dissapated to a thin film. If it had a better head it would look perfect.

Smells a little more funky than some of the ones from Germany I have had but I love the smell.

Taste is awesome. Not too tart. A slight funk from the Bret. And a nice wheaty flavor. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is perfect. High carb and predict viscosity.

Drinkability is high. Jm aboutto drink the whole 750 myself. I could drink sever pints at a bar.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

on tap at the Linkery in San Diego. pours a cloudy straw color with three fingers of tight pillowy white head. great retention and no lacings.

aroma is of funk and wet hay mainly with a subtle sour/sweet note that fades behind the funk. little else.

taste is very crisp and fresh on the palate with less funk and only a touch of sweet yeast on the back end. very well put together and refreshing. the light funk gives way to a subtle sour note on the back of the palate. excellent.

mouthfeel is light bodied, lightly effervescent and so crisp it cleanses the palate. the texture is lightly tart after a bit of warming.

drinkability is excellent. perfectly proportioned with a crisp, refreshing profile. an excellent summer beer with the perfect balance of funk and sourness. cheers!

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%

I am really smitten over this beer.

Funny story: My mom "hates" beer. Up until a few days ago she has not had a bottle of beer she enjoys. I took the label off this guy and brought it home to my folks, and said it was a rare champagne with no label and it had been given to me by a friend as a gift.

I poured her a glass of it and she just dug right in. She absolutely loved and raved about how nice and refreshing it was. Only when I told her it was beer did she realize how much her pre-dispositions had warped her appreciations.

Appearance: Brightly yellow. A foam of bubbles. Looks like an oasis of liquid gold.

Smell - Smells a bright, tart, delicious 'yellow'. You can almost taste how the beer is from the nose alone.

Taste - This Berliner Weisse is really friggin' delicious. It goes down SO easy. Why don't we make table beers like this any more? Acidity is spot on--it's really hard to take your lips off the glass.

Mouthfeel - The highlight of the beer. It is so delightfully thin, drinkable, bright, yeasty. Uhn! The high level of carbonation carries this tarty tingle all over your mouth. It's like winning the lottery. I could drink this beer for ages, especially in this Virginia Heat.

Overall - Exemplary. Refreshing. A delightful burst of refreshment. Only gripe is I wish I had about 30 more bottles of this nectar.

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +18.1%

Pours slightly hazy, ultra-pale yellow, almost dishwatery, with a small, fizzy white head that quickly disappears.

Nose is musty, some horse blanket - wet leather really sticks out. Lemony citrus as well.

Taste is a combination of musty, wet leather and some citric sourness & acidity, with hints of barnyard coming through. Zesty, refreshing, delicious.

Mouthfeel is light, softly fizzy. Greatly adds to the drinkability.

Drinkability is through the roof - low abv, very refreshing. on a hot summer's day, there's no end to how much of this I think I could put down.

Overall, an interesting Berliner Weiss that seems to have just a touch more of a gueuze-like quality to it than is common. Loved it.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%