Hottenroth Berliner Weisse | The Bruery

Ratings: 1,593 |  Reviews: 432
2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

2.75/5  rDev -31.6%

2.76/5  rDev -31.3%

Hazy yellow hoegaarden color.

Sweet apple, lemon. Citrus.

Sprite with alcohol basically. Lemon/lime. Nothing below the surface however, and the taste is generally lacking.

Great texture. Refreshing I suppose.

Meh! Not the best Bruery beer out there.

2.77/5  rDev -31.1%

I just didn't dig this one. The pour wasn't too bad. Light, hazy straw colored. Decent, loose frothy head on the pour, pearly white. Not a ton of retention but decent lacing. The smell was very interesting. Unconventional but interesting. Plenty of toasted wheat and some odd spices. Yeasty but not overly estery. Some tartness, but again, odd. The taste was full of the toasted wheat but with some unidentifiable off flavors, or what I feel were off. This was washed away but a lemon water or watered down lemonade type flavor. Some tart fruits before the lemon water but very light in both fruit and tartness. The mouthfeel was very watery and the carbonation couldn't help it. The low ABV would help the drinkability but the off flavors and watered down mouthfeel doesn't make me want to drink this.

2.8/5  rDev -30.3%

2.82/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Huge disappointment. Really expected more but was letdown. Pours like yellow fizzy swill from a can, no head whatsoever.

Smells of tartness and granny smith apples, maybe a hair of pilsner malt.

Taste is pretty straight, tart tang and some back end grains with a bit of granny smith.

Way to much carbonation, which was especially surprisingly considering I could get any head with my pour. So much so I swirled some of it out

Overall, a big let down. Would grab New Glarus or bells Berliner before this.

2.83/5  rDev -29.6%

Pours an extremely pale yellow, verging on colourless, very cloudy with a thick fine head of pure white foam. Lacing is very good, and the extreme, fine carbonation looks like tiny streams of pure effervescence. A very sophisticated and refined looking beer, and just exactly what you want in a Berliner Weisse.

Loads of funk and acidity on the nose, tart citrus rind, grapefruit, composting greenery and crushed vegetation. A hint of wet burlap sack, and a more organic yeast character are also noticeable. Not bad.

Taste is far different from expected. There's only an initial tart character on the front of the tongue, which disappears almost immediately, leaving a thin biscuity character, and an odd flavour of marzipan. The yeast funk is noticeable, and the finish is left quite phenolic and rank. Mouthfeel is extremely thin, which I guess is average for the style, but without much acidity, it just leaves exposed the very mediocre back palate.

Everything just fell away once I took a sip; this beer ends up thin, bare and empty. Maybe this is a Berliner Weisse which really requires syrup to give it any character (or rather, to cover the weak, but unpleasant characters it has). It was promising on the nose, and it looked the part, but it couldn't hold its end up when it counted. A shame.

2.96/5  rDev -26.4%

109th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
750ML bottle

App- A dark yellow with a large three finger head that was very fast dissolving. This was a lot darker than I thought it would be.

Smell- Tart & Yeasty with a somewhat mild earthiness.

Taste- I'm leaning towards saying they put sour liquid in a vat and called it beer and bottled it. This thing is tart and tangy, a bit much for me.

Mouth- Its a big flavor rush on this. Its crisp and clean and sweet.

Drink- I finished the bottle. If all sours are like this, then I don't think they are for me.

2.98/5  rDev -25.9%

Shipped back from my San Diego trip (bought at South Bay). Poured from a 750ml capped bottle into a tulip. No dating info. Was a hazy pale straw color with lots of carb from the etching. No lacing. It had a fizzy white head that quickly evaporated into nothing.

The description, style and other reviews had me believing I was going to get some tart and sour in the aroma and taste but not in this one. The aroma was very subtle. Some sour and lemon but very faded. Very disappointing. The taste matched the aroma. Very muted sour and lemon flavors and not much else. Extremely watery. Almost like an iced lemonade that had all the ice melt into it. Mouthfeel was watery.

Overall, a very disappointing beer that continues my hit or miss from the Bruery (2 great and 2 so-so). I love sour beers so had high hopes for this one but not much here besides lemon tinged water. Can't really recommend. Rotation: not avail here. One and done as I didn't find much flavor to it.

2.99/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours the palest yellow I've ever seen in a beer, with a large white fluffy head that left little lacing. A lot of raw wheat in the aroma, grainy, husky, light sourness. Taste is more sour than the aroma lets on, light funk in there, grassy, lemony, with a lovely wheaty twang and a dry finish. Crisp body, easy to drink. Never becomes too sour. Really not digging the raw wheat aroma when I take a sip, as I it takes away from the good flavor, I try to hold me breath. Wish I had some raspberry syrup to pour in this thing. Not bad, but there's still no Berlinerweiss that can hold a candle to NG's Unplugged version.

Pours straw in color. Acidic aromas, tartness and puckery are the best descriptors here.
I was recommended this from my local retailer, and I am a fan of sour, acidic/tart beers including this style. It could use a splash of woodruff or raspberry syrup as tradition dictates. Decent beer, it's nice to see someone attempting this style at all in the U.S.

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery