Hottenroth Berliner Weisse | The Bruery

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Reviews: 428 | Ratings: 1,574
4.3/5  rDev +7%

On tap at the Toronado 22nd Anniversary Perty. Poured into a tulip glass.

A-Pours a hazy, watery light yellow. It has a nice 3/4 finger white head that has some nice retention.

S-Smells of crisp, sharp, tart citrus. Lemon is definitely apparent. It also has some nice breadiness to it.

T-A lot like it smells. It is very tart lemon and the flavor slaps the tongue upside down. After a sips the tartness isn't as pervasive and the bready flavor is more apparent. It finishes extremely dry.

M-Lighter bodied with the nice tart citrus zing.

D-I love it as a low abv session beer that works great after having a few heavy IPAs.

I was glad to finally try this one. Being as though most 3.10% beers have no flavor, this one was great. There aren't many examples of this style that are avaialble. It was perfect after having a few bigger beers.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

750ml bottle poured into a HF stemmed glass

cloudy straw yellow, opaque, no lacing and the retention of the initial large white fizzy head is minimal.

smells like green apples, pure lemon juice, lactic acid, sour grapes.

Taste is very sour. Lots of acid. Green apple bite chased with sucking on a lemon. Not much sweetness to this at all. I like the sour but there is basically no complementing flavors. The wheat backing is there but isn't very loud in the setting of brash acid onslaught.

Feel is light modied with high carbonation, crisp and very dry, puckering, good for a hot day.

Overall I'm bumping this up because when mixed with a fruit beer like Rubaeus, it is actually very nice. Perhaps a fruit syrup mixed with this, as in traditional for the style, would make this a more complete beer.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

I think this is an excellent beer. I'm really coming around to the Berliner Weisse--it strikes me as a less intense sour that's very refreshing and light. My only complaint for this one is the appearance really. It's not bad, just the color is very pale, almost like a chardonnay with white head.

Smell is very good, big lemon and lactic notes, a bit of pale malt and wheat. Taste is similar, complex and delicious. Lactic sourness is refreshing and interesting. Feel is light and fizzy, nice for the style. Great drinkability. Delicious.

This is the first time I've spent $8 on a 3.1% beer... ABV does NOT always equal flavor. Berliner Weisse is a style that will really make one reconsider lower ABV brews, especially when you're tired of big, sweet flavor bombs.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

(From notes)

A - Really clear, light green-tinted yellow color and was poured with absolutely no head at all

S - Lemon-lime sweet-sourness and a bit yeasty

T - Lightly tart at first but not as sour as suggested by the aroma. Refreshingly sour, but had some sweetness as well.

M - Very light body, a little dry, and nice snap of carbonation

D - Hugely drinkable as it was refreshing, interesting, and I could scarcely believe the 3.4% abv. Very easy quaffing

Overall, a neat brew and one that would easily be a staple in my diet if I were able to find it more often. Great stuff, and worth a look.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Poured from the bottle into an Optimator mug

Pours pale, murky yellow with a small head, not unlike lemonade.

Smells like wheat and unripe, white grapes.

Taste is sharp with wheat. Tart yeastyness with a barnyard like mustyness coming in at the end there. Real refreshing.

Mouthfeel is crisp with tiny bubbles and light bodied.

Drinkability is awesome. You could drink this all day and feel fine.

Overall, an excellent beer. I could see myself putting back gallons of this on a hot day.

3.87/5  rDev -3.7%

750 ml bottle with no discernible dating, though label implies this is a cellerable offering.

Pours beautiful pale yellow with nice amount of head & carbonation. Beer is cloudy with yeast sediment. Unfortunately, head does not retain after a couple minutes and goes completely flat.
High yeast scent, sour with strong note of lemon and hints of the wheat as well. Very inviting.
Flavor is as champagne-like as its appearance. Soft & delicate; heavy on lemon peel, backed by the wheat and rounded out by the funkiness of the yeast. Overall sour, with a dry, tart finish.

The only downside of this otherwise enjoyable take on Berliner weiss would be the beer going completely flat after about 5 minutes, both in the glass and bottle. Subsequent pours illicit a quick fizziness followed by what appears to be dull lemonade when all is said & done. And this does affect the flavor, especially in the last 1/3rd of the bottle.
Otherwise, a fine offering for a style we see rarely here in the US.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass.

A- pours a pale, hazy yellow. Looks exactly like I poured a glass of lemonade. Produced a thin, half fingers width of white head. Dissipated instantly.

S- A very strong, wheat presence along with a hint of corn. Also notice some lemon in the background.

T- For the style, pretty damn solid. As in the aroma, wheat definitely is at the forefront. What I liked is that almost instantly a subtle sourness comes into play that just grows and grows until the finish. For simple ingredients and a simple beer, this is fantastic.

M- Thin, but well carbonated.

D- Probably the single most sessionable beer I have ever had in my life. Nothing else needs to be said.

Overall, this beer reaffirmed why berliner weisses are one of my favorite styles of beer. Simple, clean with a hint of sourness. I forgot to add...extremely sessionable.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Poured a light yellow and a bit fizzy. Slightly hazy. This had the best aroma of any weisse I've had; with a more fruity aroma as opposed to a lactic (spoiled milk) smell I've noticed in some other Berliners. Tart enough for the style; but certainly not mouth-puckering sour. Very light in body with a dry finish which normally would make a beer very quaffable, but the sour character actually had me sipping this beer. The very low alcohol content made this very refreshing after moving some furniture.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

A: pours clear straw yellow, with a initially two finger head which settled to a thin white layer.
S: a sharp/tart wheat, kristalweizen like banana and bubble gum.
T: tart, but not overly. Wheat and tartness lends to a light lemon flavor. Very crisp and refreshing
M: very crisp, light on the palate with prickly carbonation.
O: between Berliner Weiss and Gose two hard to find styles in, mainly by different brewers yet are my favorites.

750 Ml bottle poured into a Darkness Snifter

A- Pours a two finger white frothy head, hazy golden/dark hay color, well carbonated, minimal splotchy lacing.
S- Very nice aroma, barnyard funk, lemon zest, the sourness really comes out in the aroma. Been having a good amount of berliners lately, Really exited to try this one.
T- Very interesting definitely tasty, slight funkiness, not as evident as in the aroma but definitely present. Nice lemon zest, slight tartness, pretty straight forward but still tasty and refreshing.
M- Very light mouthfeel, clean and crisp finish.
O- I really enjoyed this beer, very refreshing and tasty, as usual the berliner style is perfect for the summer weather would definitely have again.

4.22/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A style we don't get to drink often, so thanks to The Bruery for giving it a shot. This brew pours a very pale yellow, cloudy and even lighter than a Lite beer; the head is frothy and white but goes away quickly. Aroma is lemony and herbal with a slight funk. Taste is the same, lots of lemon pepper and with a nice sour kick that brings this brew together. Still a little thin, but I think that's the point of this brew, might want to hit 1809 for a slightly more robust version. All in all, very tasty, hopefully I can grab a couple bottle come summer.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottle. Aroma: Lots of funk, white wine (cat piss), lemon. Weird but nice. Appearance: Milky yellow with small head. It’s far from cute but it is so unusual I kinda like it. Taste: Packed with flavors I can’t believe it. Lots of lemon, brett. This is very dry and very tart. I love it. Palate: Dry, thin Overall: This is the more drinkable and refreshing beer I’ve ever had. This 3% berliner weisse couldn’t have been better executed. If it wasn’t for the price tag and availabilty, that’d be my go to summer beer. Best surprise in a long time.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

No bottled or best by date on this bottle as far as I can tell.

Bruery Hottenroth is probably the palest beer I've ever had--probably 1 SRM, if that. It's lighter in color than lemonade, and the first pour is almost crystal clear, whereas the second is hazier. The beer foams up with a thick white head that quickly fizzes out. The beer smells a little funky sour, not entirely like an American wild, but like spoiled milk and a little lemony. It also smells a bit doughy. The beer is tart upfront with good round mouthfeel and light carbonation. The finish is very dry and sour. This is not a very complex beer, pretty bland sour with a little lemony bite and a clean aftertaste.

4.44/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle purchased at Connecticut Ave. Wine and Liquors in NW D.C., dated 3/25/13 (hard to find!), poured into my Rogue chalice, drank 8/9-10/13 over an hour.

A: 3/3 - straw yellow coloration, minimal clarity (cannot see through) but more clear than other wheat beer styles, e.g. hefeweizen, pours with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates in 1-2 minutes into a very subtle glass lacing; carbonation is essentially pouring off the bottom of the glass , no alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - a terrific admixture lots of sour (especially lemon and green apple) and wheat notes, but the sour wins this battle

T: 17/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's a quick slap of funk - again, that lemon and green apple mixed with some vinegar in the background; in the middle of the mouth, I start picking up the wheat; don't taste any alcohol but wouldn't expect much at 3.1%

M: 4/5 - light-bodied and high carbonation makes it tart and refreshing; close-to-perfect mouthfeel for me

O: 9/10 - another solid offering from The Bruery, which continues to emerge as one of my favorite American breweries; they nail sours better than any other American brewery to my palate and this, to my recollection, is the best American Berliner weissebier that I have tasted (looking forward to trying NEBCO's Weiss Trash Culture though...)

TOTAL = 43/50

4.1/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Poured with a very thin white head, which quickly dissipated; no real lacing. The body was a cloudy pale yellow color; little bits of visible carbonation.

S- The aroma is citrus; a little lactic tart aromas over husky grain. A very mild nose overall.

T- On the palate it starts out quite neutral, and then some lactic sourness kicks in moderate to strong on the midpalate. As the sourness begins to fade, some nutty/husky grain emerges and linger on the palate long into the finish. Relatively close to style.

M- Thin body. Little bit of texture from perhaps the wheat in the beverage. Spritzy carbonation.

D- Super quaffable. Super refreshing. Drink it straight on a hot summer day. I would definitely covet a 750ml bottle for myself in a sitting!

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%

Well it's been a little while, but here it is in NYC. Had the pleasure of trying this at the Bruery a few months ago, and now here it is, practically in my lap. But really, it's in my mouth. My co-worker turns to me, "Shouldn't we just stop working and drink berliner-weiss all day?" I don't have an answer. Suddenly, I do have a berliner-weiss in my hands. Ahh, an answer revealed. The work is done..Or has it just begun. This feels like a field beer, an operating heavy machinery beer. A fucking hot day and have a giant bottle to yourself beer. While you work. Whatever happened to our heritage?!
Tart with a refreshing lemon zing. The wick of lactic sour lit in my mouth. The head of the beer is so sexy, it pours, sparkles away. You can hear the head dissipate into the air, a mystic wonder. This is an excellent version of it, alcohol content spot on, the true working class beer, in spite of the talent and patience it must take to make. Cheers to the rue in all of you!

750ml bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Cloudy pale yellow body. Decent head that quickly fades to nothing, typical for the style.

S: Lemon-like tartness and a bit of wheat.

T: It opens with a blast of overwhelming lick-puckering tartness. If you can stick it out, the sourness recedes to reveal notes of Cheerios and fruitiness, kind of like a yogurt parfait.

M: Medium-bodied, good amount of carbonation.

D: Definitely hits the spot on a hot summer day. Don't be a sissy and drink it with syrup, though.

2.33/5  rDev -42%

08/29/10- Had a 750 mL bottle of this one.
A: Very pale golden with a puffy white head that shrunk to a very thin film.
S: White wine, very sour apples, musty wheat, salty cured meat (salame).
T: Starts off great, but turns to a very moldy salame casing (the innoculated one you're supposed to remove before eating). Lemon pucker and cidery notes. For me, this isn't undrinkable, but it almost is.
M: Very thin and spritzy, like bad soda.
D: Not a big fan; this one is almost a drainpour.

I like sours and I still didn't like this one. Maybe I had a bad bottle or it is a little too intense for me.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 750ml bottle into an Allagash chalice. Served at fridge temps.

Appearance- Cloudy yellow/orange with one finger of thick white head that lasted about a minute. Very nice lacing.

Smell- Lemony/wheaty aromas, white grapes, soft green apple, chardoney-esque, and some light malts.

Taste- Apples and grapes up front mixed with mild cider vinegar and lemon. Wheaty malty sweetness comes through nicely. Very clean tartness. Not very funky at all.

Mouthfeel- Super light and refreshing. High carbonation with mild apple tartness. Extremely drinkable.

Overall- This is my second or third Berliner Weiss and it's the best I've had yet. Super drinkable on a warm day like today. If I could get this regularly in the summer, I'd drink it all day especially at 3.1%.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

A - Pours a very pale yellow and crystal clear. Think chardonnay. The white head is about a finger deep and is gone within a minute. No lacing to speak of in the glass. Carbonation appears very active.

S - It's fruity up front with hints of apple and lemon. Malt base gives a sweet middle to this beer. Honey notes are what I'm getting. It's a little musty toward the end. Aroma is light overall. Not bad though.

T - Boy, this one is bright at first. Apples come through first. Tart, then it smooths out pretty quick. Honey and sugar come and go from midway to end. It's no surprise that the alcohol is nowhere to be found. Could be a faint graininess at the very tail end. Once again, no bad.

M - Light bodied with a healthy carbonation that really has a nice effect on the palate. Simply put, it tickles all the way down. Finish has a residual sweetness that doesn't hang out for too long.

D - Drinkability is good. The low alcohol and abundance of flavors make this a very interesting choice. I can see this beer being very good in warmer weather along with also being a nice compliment to a hearty winter's meal. This is one of a few times that I can easily agree with the 750 ml bottle size. Even at that size, the bottle disappears quickly. I think I'll be hunting down more examples of the style based on this brew. Another good beer from the folks at the Bruery.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

I had this on tap at The Bruery yesterday 12/9/11.

A: A pale golden color with very little head.

S: Wheat, some banana notes, tartness.

T: Right up front you get a nice tart flavor with some banana flavors a bit. I couldn't get many other flavors from it but I can tell you this beer tastes real good.

M: Nice mouthful and very smooth and easy to drink. Considering the low ABV it should be.

O: I like this one alot but just wish it was at least around 5 %. That being said this would be a nice one to drink on a hot summer day.

4.33/5  rDev +7.7%

Let's try a different format for this one.

I purchased this growler last night at Capone's saison event (though obviously this isn't a saison) and am drinking it tonight on a lazy Friday evening.

It pours into my Hopback Amber weizen glass a hazy, pale straw gold, though still a few shades darker than macro-lager color. The head is huge and rocky and initially forms a 2-finger high froth. Eventually it shrinks to a nearly full cap going no further.

The nose presents an acidic tartness coupled with some major citrus (lemon especially). A sweet malt base is a little tricky to pick out, but it's there. Some light floral notes lurk as well, hinting at some herbal additions perhaps.

The first thing that strikes me is the complete dryness of the beer. The body is light with a lower carbonation (surely from repeated fillings and pourings). Tartness is quite prevalent, particularly in the finish, with backup notes of lemon, flowers, and a candy sweetness. Each sip gets me coming back for another, forming an endless cycle.

What a beer for a summer day. But I think the smartest thing I did was choose a 3.1% beer to get a whole half-gallon of. This should be gone in no time.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hottenroth feels like The Bruery going hard on some William Eggleston grind -- full spectrum of emotional color here. Nestled amongst the many hued sunsets and supermarket promontories and pre-war lamps tossing their many hued lights there is something pristine/sinister that feels utterly appropriate and inextricable from the total composition. A real glassfull of considerate juxtaposition and moral play.

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%

A - Pours a pale yellow/wheat color. The head is more fizzy than puffy, dissipates quickly.

S - A funky sour smell, a bit tart, almost like a really natural lemonade. Some earthy background

T - Quite acidic and tart. Not unpleasant. There's just a bit of funk in here but it doesn't really pack the punch or anything. Provides a lot of tart lemon. Very interesting

M - Light body, very seltzer-y

Overall - Very drinkable and tasty in the summertime. Well brewed beer

3.55/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an opaque, muddy straw producing 2+ fingers of effervescent, white, shortlived head that leaves no lace. Aroma is wheat, lactic acid sourness, green apple & lemon/lime with a hint of Brett mustiness. Taste is very lactic, thin wheat malt, some citrusy & green apple fruitiness, a little Brett & brine. Fruitiness & brine most prominent in the finish. Afrertaste is tart & salty. I'm not sure that this is brewed with salt as is the case with Gose but it certainly has a saline twang. Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied with medium carbonation, prickly, crisp, dry & puckering. If you liked Sweet Tarts candy as a child then you will most likely give this a solid 4-5.

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery