Hottenroth Berliner Weisse | The Bruery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2008

Ratings: 1,597 |  Reviews: 433
4.19/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into an Upland pint glass.

A: Pours a very, very hazy yellow to light gold. Forms a half-finger of white head that fades quickly, and low visible carbonation.

S: Tart, lemony, and a bit funky and yeasty. Wheat malt with some grainy character, and a bit grassy.

T: Tart, lactic, and moderately sour, a bit funky, lemon citrus, wheat bread, some grass and funk. The graininess in the malts fades before the swallow though, leaving a clean, dry, tart lactic character in the hang.

M: Light-bodied. No alcohol to speak of. The carbonation sensation is somewhat lower than it should be for style, but it's far from flat.

O: Nice, well-done berliner with a restrained level of tartness. It's not in the same class as Tartare, or the fruited Florida-weisses available. But a really enjoyable drink nevertheless. Recommended.

4.24/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle poured into a pilsner glass.

Appearance
Pale straw with 2 fingers of white head. Hazy with moderate-heavy carbonation.

Nose
Lactic sourness, lemon juice and wheat.

Taste
Lactic sourness along with lemon juice and tangy wheat. There’s a hint of strawberry sweetness. Finishes with a touch of chestnut as well as a Warheads candy essence.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, crisp, tart and refreshing.

Overall
This is a fantastic Berliner! $9.60 for a sour that you can drink all day? RIGHT ON!

4.8/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle, with bottled on date 03/25/2013 printed on the side. My second beer from The Bruery, acquired at the local beer store for $8.99 plus tax. Expectations are high considering this beer's current ratings.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Aggressive pour yields three fingers of quickly dissolving fizzing white bubbly head on top of a pale murky straw yellow colored body. Head audibly dissolves away into nothingness faster than the head on a soda pop. No lacing. Not great looking, in all honesty. The final pour a good hour later, reveals tons of sediment twirling, floating, and sinking in the glass.

S - Smell is of fruity tartness, lactic acid / bacterial funkiness, yeast, wheat grains, and vinegar. A more pleasant grainy aroma begins to creep out as the beer warms and opens up.

T - Taste is quite strange also: this is nothing like what I was expecting. I'm not very experienced with this style of beer, so the tart, sour nature of this beer is surprising to me. If I didn't know it was supposed to taste like this, I'd think I had bought an infected bottle. Bretty, yeasty, grainy, and tart fruitiness in the vain of lemons & sour green apples. Bacterial funkiness on the finish, not unlike a Kombucha drink.

M - Feel is tart, tingly, sour, and dry. Ideal carbonation.

Overall, a very strange different beer compared to what I'm used to. It definitely took a little bit for the flavors to come together, and for the beer to finally grow on me. Still, it is nothing like what I was expecting. Not a beer I would want to be out pounding, but it would probably pair well with some BBQ, despite the food pairings listed on BeerAdvocate. I would be interested to see what this would be like mixed with some raspberry or woodruff syrup like the bottle suggests doing. I was a fan of the lambics that I've tried, and was expecting similar results here, but I guess this style will take some easing into, for me. Still, I'm glad to have tried it, but I guess I need to further acquire a taste for this style.

The Bruery Hottenroth Berliner Weisse ---3.5/5

4.01/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

On-tap at Tørst.

A: Clear straw body with a thin head of fine white bubbles that settle into a ring. Not bad.

S: Wheat malt is dominant, with graininess and light spice. Faint lemony tartness, but not much. All right, but quite light on acidity for my tastes.

T: Better here, with green apple tartness front and center; the soft wheat shows up on the finish. Clean aftertaste - almost too cleanly watery. Very tasty, but almost like a Berliner Light, and yes I'm aware it's supposed to be only 3.1% - I'm talking about flavor intensity, not strength.

M: Light and delicate, with an initial burst of soft carbonation that fades quickly. Interesting.

O: This is a really well-made beer, but it lacked that depth of sour grainy funk that I love about the best Berliners. Maybe I've just been spoiled lately by Weiss Trash Culture and New Glarus Berliner Weisse, but this just didn't capture my fancy the way I expected. Excellent but not exciting.

Cheers!

3.46/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Smells like sulfur. Tastes like water with lots of lemon. Not overly sour. Decent.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours the color of grapefruit juice with a big, fluffly white head that has pretty good retention.

S: A big wheat aroma and a tad of funk. Some hints of white pepper and lemon.

T: Very light, but has a great taste. Lemon, tart green apple, vinegar, and a touch of baby aspirin. Tart but not exactly sour. Like it restrains itself before it gets so sour that it makes you pucker up. A great take on the style and the perfect summer beer.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Found this at Total Wine in Bradenton/Sarasota FL.

Poured a lovely light straw yellow, slightly hazy as it's supposed to be, with a 1" white short lived head. Very nicely tart and citrusy in the aroma. Hint of biscuit and a pronounced wheat twang. Flavor is a touch more complex than expected. Lemony tart, touch of yeast, puckering finish with a layer of "barnyard" funk, but this is almost hidden. Crisp and light, this beer is best served chilled (slightly above refrigeration temperature) in a flute or a weizen glass. Outstanding beer. Perfect for Florida weather.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Hazy pale golden colour, light white head, subtle lacing. Smell is funky, tart lemons, sour in the nose and pretty yeasty. Taste is sour, tart and lemony, yeast, citrus, lemon juice like points, very nice. High prickly carbonation you can feel all across the tongue, good feel, nice weight. Very nice stuff here, very drinkable, I think we knocked off the bottle in about 3-4 minutes, would welcome again gladly.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

I found this bottle about three months ago on the bargain shelf. I checked BA, and it recommended against extended cellaring. At the price ($9), I figured: "Why not"? I held it for three months while trying to convince my wife to share it with me. I thought that my wife would enjoy this.

After three months, we opened the Hottenroth to share over barbequed chicken. They worked well together. The sweetness in the beer went with the wet sauce and the grilled bell peppers.

This is a good example for the style. The sweetness and a touch of funk work really well with white meat, or on its own. I can see picking this up for a summer evening. I hope to have both again soon.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

2.96/5  rDev -26.7%

109th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
750ML bottle

App- A dark yellow with a large three finger head that was very fast dissolving. This was a lot darker than I thought it would be.

Smell- Tart & Yeasty with a somewhat mild earthiness.

Taste- I'm leaning towards saying they put sour liquid in a vat and called it beer and bottled it. This thing is tart and tangy, a bit much for me.

Mouth- Its a big flavor rush on this. Its crisp and clean and sweet.

Drink- I finished the bottle. If all sours are like this, then I don't think they are for me.

Hottenroth Berliner Weisse from The Bruery