Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Autumn Maple | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

Added by MiScusi on 09-21-2008

Ratings: 2,062 |  Reviews: 631

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.76/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

A capped 750ml bottle purchased at Abe's in Bethlehem for around $8. Well, I was hoping to cellar this until next year to allow the flavors to mingle a bit, but I couldn't resist it's call as I opened the beer fridge on this chilly Thanksgiving night.

Uncapped and poured into my trusty Duvel tulip glass. The ale appears a mildly murky crimson chestnut color with about two fingers of fizzy, quickly fading ecru foam. A nice looking pour. The flavors and aromas are of cinnamon, nutmeg, a pungent bitterness that I'm guessing is coming from the molasses, a good amount of maple sweetness, banana taffy notes, spicy cracked black pepper, caramel, roasted sweet potatoes/yams, belgian yeast. Medium bodied and I'm glad to see the carbonation problem that plagued last years release has been resolved. This ale is quite effervescent and the spiciness from the pepper and/or yeast lingers well after each sip. The alcohol is well hidden as well. Overall, this is something I'll look forward to each fall. Put me down for a bottle next year.

3.04/5  rDev -19.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2010 vintage. Shared with alfrantzell (Arne) and chswimmer (Ted).

A: Pours a deep amber body with a light beige head that retains poorly, but keeps a nice cap and collar on the brew as I sip.

S: Definitely an autumnal aroma; it reminds me of a pumpkin beer in its spice combination of cinnamon and nutmeg. I got a touch of maple or molasses, yam (this reminded me of The Vine from a long time ago), and vanilla. Quite nice on the nose.

T: The taste is a bit of a letdown. It's underattenuated and sweet. The spices noted in the nose take some of the edge off; cinnamon and clove lend a light bite that gives the impression of finishing dry, but after several sips it becomes apparent that that isn't the case. The maple and molasses dominate. After a while it got to be too rich to my palate.

M: Carbonation is low for a BSDA, but this is somewhat of a mutant attempt at the style, so I'll let it pass. It brings out the flavors quite a bit, but it emphasizes how heavy the beer is, which is a drawback. I'll call it a wash.

D: None of us cared for it; it's not offensive, just "there." I could have finished it, but I wasn't excited enough to do so. Most of the bottle went down the drain so we could move to something else. I think I'm just not in the target market for this heavy sipper; won't buy again.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

750ml bottle received in the Black Booty 3 BIF from jmoore50. Thanks! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a translucent, yeasty amber orange color with a finger of cream colored head that fades quickly dropping down to a thin collar and sparse islands of bubbles on the surface. No lacing left on the glass.

S - Sweet and spicy...cinnamon, nutmeg, maple, sweet potatoes, molasses. Interesting and a bit unique. I'm liking it though.

T - Sweet up front with sugary malt, molasses, maple, sweet potatoes all contributing. A good amount of alcohol enters the flavor along with a slight sourness on the fringes...and of course spices are in the middle of it all - cinnamon and nutmeg especially. Some yeasty flavors too, but not really Belgian in nature - more bread yeast like. Interesting and good. This is a pretty catch all style, so I guess it is to style, but a bit outside of the box...not necessarily a bad thing.

M - Medium bodied with ample carbonation...pretty fizzy in feel. A bit of alcohol warmth. Sweet sugars of a multitude of types and sources in this recipe coat the mouth and feel a bit sticky as they go down.

D - Interesting and different. Overall I like this beer, but the spices are a bit much to have a lot of...split this bottle and this made it the perfect amount in a session. Definitely would go for this again, in moderation...maybe sided by side with the BA version I have in my cellar next time.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Off-tap this beer was a cloudy copper color with a head that displayed nice retention and left spots of lacing. The aroma was of caramel malt, yams, and spices. The flavors were a bit odd in my opinion, semi-sweet malts, alcohol, light esters, hints of maple and a lot of spices in particular nutmeg that seemed to sit on top of everything else. I didn’t get the subtleties I was hoping for due to this element. The mouthfeel was good, the body medium and the carbonation a little low.

Appearance - Shared with my parents (and by that I mean I drank most of this because they did not like it, heh). Pours a terracotta color into the available yet lackluster glassware at the hotel I am staying in. A small half finger of white head is achieved that dissipates at a rather quick pace leaving little lacing.

Smell - Smells of spices such as nutmeg, heavy molasses, yams, some cider like smells (and actually appearance now that I think of it). Once it warms up there is also the maple (which I may have mistaken as molasses earlier) and more spices (cloves).

Taste - Exactly what you would expect them to be, and similar to the nose. The yams are quite prevalent along with Belgian spices and the other aforementioned spices. There is quite a bit of maple flavor along with a heavy brown sugar presence.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, nice and creamy, lower carbonation.

Drinkability - A sipper for sure, but damn appropriate on Thanksgiving. I get almost no alcohol heat or burn from the beer and it is a great pre-dinner holiday beer. Really glad I brought this along to try today.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

2.7/5  rDev -28.6%

A: deep copper brown
S: yeasty, with hints of alcohol and unfermented sweetness
T: a bit thin for alcohol, on sweeter side, unusual with decent taste but not to my liking, bitterness is there but sweetness wins out, very little head, big fat bubbles
M: sweet but not lacquerish
D: it is what it is but not my style

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Autumn Maple from The Bruery