Autumn Maple | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

Added by MiScusi on 09-21-2008

3.8

Reviews: 624 | Ratings: 2,034
4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Served into a Bruery tulip glass at about 40 degrees.

Pours a mahogany with an off-white froth and decent lacing. The nose is soft and complex with aromas of Belgian yeast, Yams/pumpkin, molasses, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, dark fruit, slight funk, & a slight tart character. The flavors cover everything listed above with a slightly tart finish. The mouthfeel is creamy and slightly dry with some weight and a long finish. Overall, this is an amazing beer that I was happy to have last Thanksgiving, thrilled to have this Thanksgiving, and look forward to having at my next. An absolute must try!

3.61/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The Beers of California

#98

Freshness Date: None

A: Deep amber brown with an effervescent head of off white to khaki foam which dissipates to a thin layer that then slowly fades to a cling on the glass.

S: The spice complexity jumps out with highlights of maple syrup from a base of yam sweetness. The sweetness to build as the beer warms.

T: The allspice and cinnamon build as the molasses and maple syrup join in an attempt to bring a balancing sweetness. The yams add a sweet carbohydrate, slightly candied foundation to the brew. There is very minimal earthy hop bitterness. The yeastiness comes through in the end with a moderate amount of booziness.

M: The beer has a light to medium feel with similar amounts of carbonation.

O: The spices shine here but in the end overwhelm the remaining components of this beer, particularly the candied yam presence. The flavors here don't quite combine into a synergistic whole. A laudable attempt at creating a novel fall brew but overall can use some polishing.

3.54/5  rDev -6.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at my local whole foods about two weeks ago. Wasn't quite sure about distribution and how much was produced/the perceived rarity of this one but was glad to get my hands on one and waited for a worthy occasion. Had a girl over for dinner, cooked, and realized we didn't have any wine. Ah ha! Autumn Maple did more than suffice.

Truth be told, she enjoyed it more than I did. But hey, I'm not complaining about that...

Appearance is a nice mahogany color with a small tan had and no lacing. I'm trying so hard not to smell pumpkin in this one but I'm pretty sure I do. Does that even make sense? Otherwise the scent of sweet potatoes mingles with those of cinnamon, nutmeg, and some caramel.

I expected a bit more from this beer on the taste front. "A Belgian Ale brewed with..." I thought I would be blown away by the taste of this one but in that regard this beer is a bit too quiet. The scents noted mostly translate into the taste here. Additionally, there's a bit of a bready element and a bit too much alcohol.

It's light to medium bodied with a good deal of carbonation. Again, not quite what I expected. This beer suffers in the mouthfeel category in my opinion. Drinkability is good nonetheless.

3.49/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a rich woody-red color with virtually no head. Aroma of pumpkin spices. Big flavor of yams, which works surprisingly well, spice, and some notes that remind me of rum-raisin ice cream. For all of that, the body is on the thin side, and combining that with the lack of carbonation, the beer is somewhat unsatisfying. There is less alcohol warming than I'd expect for 10% ABV. Tasty, but not really in a beery way. A worthwhile experiment, worth trying, but not something I'd likely buy again.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had to try a yam beer once I heard of it. Very similar to a pumpkin beer overall, so not too exciting there. Very bold flavors all around though. Yam, spice, and yeast all strong but well balanced. I wouldnt drink this all the time, but one on the first chilly autumn evening wouldnt be a bad way to kick off the season.

Bottle Pours a murky brown amber with a good light tan head. The head is lasting and laces okay. Has a sweet aroma of yams, spices, and maple syrup. The carbonation is good. Has a good flavor with spices and a slight burn. Has a full body. The texture is watery but it is the best watery beer I have tasted. Has a good finish and a nice aftertaste. This is a good beer.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured into my DT tulip glass. Thanks for the trade Mattolish!

Brownish color. No head or carbonation. No lacing at all. Totally flat beer. Cinnamon cloves and pumpkin/yam in both the nose and taste of this beer. A bit sweet with great flavor.

If I were judging this purely on flavor it would get very high marks. Maybe the best tasting "pumpkin" beer I have had. The total lack of carbonation killed it for me. It was so flat that it ruined the mouth-feel and drinkability of this one .

I hope if they brew this again that they adjust the carbonation of this beer. If they do I would highly recommend this one.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

With an opaque copper color, it is bright, sweet and malt forward with a citrus marshmallow aroma. The taste is dark biscuit savory with rosemary and a bit of cotton candy booze. It’s slightly too boozy, but is a nice concoction of sweet flavors overall.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - At first pour it had a small head and then quickly dissipates into a dark root beer color and actually looked like coca cola in a pint glass. This large bubbles formed in the bottom and around the pint glass.

S - Thanksgiving dinner in a bottle! Sweet potato and pecan pie which follows through with a light smell of apricots. The smell is complex but you can differentiate between the spices which i can smell nutmeg, cinnamon & cloves.

T - First initial taste it was Thanksgiving in a bottle. The sweet potatoes shine but finish with almost sweet carrots which turns to an apricot finish. The spices that i described above are a little subdued but hit you at the aftertaste.

M - Lightly carbonated and was one of the most deliciously carbonated beers i have had in awhile for a belgian style brown ale. It had a nicer almost stouty beer feel but then it was smooth and then it felt like a brown ale but easily drinkable.

O - I was impressed had it on tap and it seemed like that keg was flat but this second time in the bottle it was able to keep a great carbonation and i can't wait to open more of them in the next upcoming years.

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to BeerTruth/Nanoslug for this.

Pours brown with a ring of huge bubbles around my snifter.

Smell: Faint Pumpkin Spices, Bananas, Vanilla, and Maple Syrup.

Taste: Pumpkin Spices, Molasses, Dark Fruits, and Brown Sugar. Barely any Carbonation.

It's really interesting, I think if it was more carbonation this would be great.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A-Ruby. Brilliantly clear. big tan head that quickly disapeared.

S-Rum raisin with some clove thrown in. Nice that this isn't an over spiced mess like most pumpkin beers. Some perfumy alcohol. Very nice

T-Raisin. Some alcohol. Dark Crystal malts. Rummy. No hop flavor

M-Medium thick bodied but not sickly sweet. Medium carbonation, could be a bit higher.

D-Much better than all of those over spiced pumpkin beers out these days. Actually a nice base beer with a bit of spice underneath. Alcohol is a bit too high to have more than one.

3.39/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance- well its pretty when it poured out. It's a brownish orange color sparkling clear which I imagine is had to accomplish with he sweet potatoes in it. It has a thin off white head. The head has no sustain, probably the least head retention I have seen in a commercial beer. I imagine that is also due to the sweet potatoes.

Smell- bread cinnamon clove yeasty with what I can detect is a significant amount of booze smell. Phenolic ?! not sure but it smells kinda like a moonshine wash.

Taste- cinamon clove and a significant boozey warmth. dont taste too much sweet potatoe but the fermented maple syrup is a familiar aspect of this beer. little to no hop profile. Not sure if its the alcohol of unfermented sugars that leaves it a bit sweet in the finish.

Mouthfeel- mild carbonation, boozey warmth and a of course a bit syrupy. but not sticky. I think its best aspect might be the mouthfeel, because it does feel like a mouthfull of mashed potatoes.

Overall- I thought this beer was okay, I would have enjoyed it along with a thanksgiving dinner but It is not something that an average beer drinker would appreciate. I have had beers that disguise the alcohol content better at a higher ABV. I have had beers that I think do the spice additions better. But as a lover of sweet potatoes I was curious. I think this would be better barrel aged or cellared .

3.7/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 Vintage.

Pour: Deep, dark mahogany brown with hints of orange and a small off white head.

Nose: Candied yams, maple syrup, pecan, Belgian yeast, an abundance of all spice and nutmeg.

Taste: kind of strange but the yams and maple come through pretty quickly with all spice, nutmeg, and some vanilla as well.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a moderate amount of oily presence. Slightly carbonated.

Overall: Pretty great for the style as I enjoy this much more than the usual pumpkin beers out there.

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very yeasty farmhouse style Belgian ale, reminds me of something Unibroue might produce.

Pours a milky translucent brown with a light tan head.

Aromas of sugary yams and yeast.

Mouthfeel is particularly astringent, dried my mouth out the way a well oak-aged red wine might.

Tastes of yams and sweet malts, not much spice other than nutmeg. The yeast is definitely powerful, and little to none of the maple syrup taste I was really hoping for, kind of a big disappointment considering the $14 price.

I was pleased however that the typical fall pie spices were not at all dominating like most pumpkin beers, just mild nutmeg and yam.

Not a bad beer, the 10% alc packs a punch, but yeast is a bit overpowering for me and the lack of maple hints were a disappointment

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Had on-tap at the Bruery Provisions in Orange.

A - Murky copper to light brown, light orange/tan head. Pours about a finger's worth and it sticks around for a while.

S - Cinnamon, clove, nutmeg. Your typical pumpkin pie/beer spice combo. Not really picking up on the ginger. Some malt and faint esters also present.

T - Mmm. Yams instead of pumpkin, and it works. This was actually the first Bruery beer I'd tried, last year around this time. The 2011 version tastes better than I remember. I can pick up on the maple syrup, but the spices dominate. Somewhat belgian. A little sweet.

M - Not a lot to say here you probably don't already know. It's like every other pumpkin ale, but with yams. Smooth, medium body.

O - Not really a pumpkin beer, per se, but still amazing. I can't wait to try the BA and 100% brett versions.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a deep brownish orange color that is quite opaque, only the slightest amount of light come through around the edges of the glass. A fluffy off white head forms at the top of the pour with no lacing remaining on the sides of the glass.

S: Malt and yeast dominate the nose. Yams are present along with spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice. A slight maple note is also present.

T: Sweetness hits the tongue at the outset. Yams and maple start the sip, but it quickly moves into malt and yeast of a belgian ale. Slight maple towards the finish, but the spice really comes though in the finish. Nutmeg, allspice, and even some clove flavors accompany the yeast to sting the back of the throat as the sip concludes.

M: This is a medium bodied beer with prickly carbonation.

Overall, this is a tasty beer. It really drinks more as a belgian brown (which is its base) than a spiced vegetable beer. I would have liked more maple and yam flavor, but this is a tasty brew that does an excellent job of masking the 10% ABV.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours murky brown orange full of yeast with a tab head

S- spices sweet yams orange pumpkin

T- very complex and sweet yams pumpkin spices vanilla oak brown sugar

m- creamy but low carb

d- probably one of the fav holiday beers very complex and all the flavors go great together

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

A - dark, murky amber Medium carbonation, no lacing

S - Belgian yeast, sweet honey

T - Belgian burnt sugar (caramel), sweet, some yam, lightly crisp hops, nutmeg/allspice/vanilla

M - medium bodied, good carbonation in the mouth

Very good beer. Bruery is really putting out some unique and tasty beers. This is one of them! I recommend it!

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy amber color with a decent amount of head. Aroma just screams of yams and spices, I'm not even a big yams fan but it is an inviting aroma. The taste is very diverse and full of flavor with maple syrup, yams, and spices like cinnamon coming through strongly. The high ABV of 10% is relatively well hidden. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation, and crisp and smooth.

Overall, this a nice beer, my favorite beer of the fall season so far. The spices and yams just give this beer an enjoyable complexity, and it truly is a nice beer to enjoy on an autumn night like I did tonight.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

On tap at the brewery during AHA rally. It's thanksgiving in a glass. Orange amber color with a creamy tan head. Aroma is spices like pumpkin pie meets candied yams. Taste is rich, full malt, some sweetness, and yes you can taste the yams! Some alcohol. Full bodied and smooth for a beer that strong.

3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Received this in a trade with EliottJW. Poured into a Tulip on Thanksgiving, cuz we're classy.

Appearance: Big 3-4 finger head on top of a dark reddish brown beer. Head recedes slowly to 1 finger but never seems to leave. Moderate amounts of lacing. Some floaters swimming around in the brew.

Smell: Sugary sweet smell. Sweet like maple syrup. Sort of a brown sugar kind of scent and some other spices. Does smell quite a bit like a baked sweet potato. Some yeast and caramel malt aroma.

Taste: Maple syrup sweetness, not too overwhelming at first but a little more so as it warms. Then breaks into a spicy sweet potato flavor. Some fruity yeast notes as well as roasted malts. Alcohol provides a bit of a warming feel but it blends pretty well with the syrupy sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol warmth and moderately carbonated. Medium bodied. Smooth, sweet finish.

Drinkability: I took my time with it, I think it took about 2.5 hours to finish the bottle. The sweetness becomes a little cloying, and the alcohol starts to show itself both in the flavor and in your head after a while. Nice body to it though.

Not a bad beer. A different take on fall beer compared to all the other pumpkin ales, but I think it misses the mark.

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

Not my favorite - ended up trying to finishing most of the bottle myself cause the wife hated it. Was OK paired with some dark chocolate, but all the unique flavors never really came together.

2.08/5  rDev -45.3%

Chestnuts roasting in the kitchen prompted me to open a bottle I originally envisioned opening on Thanksgiving. I am trying this beer with the girlfriend - she is hard at work prepping for tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast while I am happily sinking into the couch.

Beer poured into an Allagash tulip.

A: The beer looks exactly like sweet tea, minus the ice. Despite an aggressive pour, there is absolutely no head, nor any semblance of carbonation or bubbles rising to the top.

S: This was the strong point of the beer. Very interesting scents with initial notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and raisins. At first I did not detect the yams but the aroma became more distinguished as the beer warmed slightly in the glass. Some of the smells really do (for me at least) conjure up images of fall.

M: The mouthfeel was very weak, which I would attribute primarily to the aforementioned lack of carbonation. It lacked any sort of body. Tangy, and not in a good way.

T: Exhibits some qualities of the more typical Belgian brown ale. However, the more I have, the less I can discern the attributes of the style and the more I notice the yams and spices. It becomes overpowering. There is a bitterness that lingers long after the sip and I find myself wanting to cleanse my palate after each sip.

D: Not good. The bitter aftertaste makes more than a smallish glass of this untenable. There is quite an alcohol wallup - noticed by both me and the girlfriend - which is hidden quite well. As I prefer my beers on the strong side, I view this as a positive.

Overall, this beer was memorable, but for the wrong reasons. I applaud the Bruery for their creativity, but in my (admittedly) novice opinion, the Autumn Maple just doesn't work. If they can get the carbonation worked out, I would be curious to try a small glass on tap next year, but I will not be buying another bottle. Ever. I am looking forward to the Bruery (hopefully) redeeming itself in the bottle of Saison Rue that I will be opening shortly.

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Light golden color. Goldfish and clear.

S: Strong honey. A resemblance of mead.

T: Starts with honey and yam and finishes with baked beans. Yes..I can taste baked beans.

M: Light, fruity but slightly viscous.

O: A good beer from The Bruery. I'm glad they tried something different for their fall seasonal..not sure it really beat the good ol' pumpkin ale though. It definitely got very sweet towards the end. Good beer overall.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Wow this stuff is killer. Pours a reddish-copper with some head that quickly dissipates.

Smells heavily of booze and spices. Very sweet and boozy, its a pleasant taste, but gets to be too much over time.

A fair amount of carbonation, but the alcohol just makes it tough to drink more than a few ounces of it. Like I said, a pleasant taste, but very hard to drink.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery