Autumn Maple | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

Added by MiScusi on 09-21-2008

3.8

Ratings: 2,052 |  Reviews: 630
4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Amber colored body with a huge frothy tan head. Somewhat transparent body.

S- Belgian yeast and spices dominate the nose with complementary notes of sweet potatoes, maple syrup, candied sugar, brown sugar and sweet dried fruit.

T- Belgian dark ale flavor up front with dark fruits and Belgian spices. The middle of the taste is where the Autumn flavors kick in. Yams, spices, cinnamon, brown sugar. Overall, flavors work well together.

M- Pretty heavy with medium-high carbonation. Full-bodied and a slow drinker.

O- Strong take on a Belgian style fall beer. Very flavorful and full bodied.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%

appearance is very cloudy with a deep brown hue and a very tan head that is creamy and thin yet sticks around for a fair while leaving a large sheet of lacing.

Wowwza! lots of yammy, cinnamon and nutmeg and nutmeg goodness on the nose. no hop character to be spoken of truly. sweet and spicey, in the simplest of terms. smells like sweet potato pie, and I shut my mouth.

the taste takes on a much more malty character, some caramel and toffee bits. lots of spice again, nutmeg and cinnamon. there is a particular sweetness that the yams lend to this beer, sort of borderline tartness with a highly sugary content. also the molasses seems to leave a lightly bitter bite on the finish. I love sweet potato pie.

the mouthfeel is smooth as silk, lots of creamy goodness with a fairly thin body. light carbonation and a sweet finish. I don't even need to wait for thanksgiving.

super drinkable. Almost as much as a sweet potato pie is eatable.

Awesome beer, if you don't like pumpkin beers, this one isn't for you. If you don't like sweet potato pie, then you need to go kill yourself. Seriously, I think I'm gonna go put some whipped cream on this mug.

3.79/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Deep ruby amber color. Light passes and reveals a cloudiness to the brew. The head is modest, leaving some streaks of lace.

An autumnal smell of nutmeg, clove and cinnamon. Quite sweet with darker toasted malts--think cinnamon toast.

Starts with toasted (dry) malts. Slightly sour. The swallow brings out a strong alcohol warmth, along with the spices of black pepper and what I would think to be pumpkin, but I guess is yams. (Blindfolded, I would never come up with that). The aftertaste has an element of homebrew here.

The body is rich and the carbonation is low. Overall, this is a big beer, worth seeking out.

4.42/5  rDev +16.3%

My first beer from The Bruery!

Pours out a deep brown with amber and orange hues and 3-4 fingers of off-white head.

The aroma has a lot of buttered yams, maple syrup, caramel malt, clove, vanilla, allspice, nutmeg and dark fruits.

The taste is just as complex as the aroma. There are decent notes of buttered yams throughout, but there are strong notes of clove, dark fruits, caramel malt, cinnamon and brown sugar. There is some bready notes as well as coriander from the Belgian yeast strain.

Medium-full bodied with a decently thick mouthfeel. A very good balance between spicy and sweet. A great Fall seasonal that shows no hint of the ABV content and could become dangerous.

A great beer from The Bruery and I'm excited to look for more from them! It's like Fall has been captured in a glass.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Takes a pleasant orange-amber color out of the bottle. Thick luxurious head that lathers nicely and makes itself at home for a while.

S: Thanksgiving in a bottle. Candied yams, brown sugar, spice bread (!!!), dates, walnuts, pecans. Warm and inviting. Really nice.

T: Spicy and yammy. Fills the mouth with a well-blended mixture of sweetness and spice. Caught a light bourbon burn on the back end along with a drier finish.

MF: Satin, with some carbonation that tingles, but doesn't rush you to gulp it down quickly. A brew to savor.

O: I really enjoyed this one. Carried an unpretentious "home-cooked" feel that reminded me of holidays past. Definitely a seasonal taste, but one I definitely wanted and appreciated. Gotta grab some more!

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

On tap at The Bruery in Placentia, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots and streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, yams, brown sugar, and spices. Taste is much the same with a mild spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

3.33/5  rDev -12.4%

Presentation: 750 mL bottle, 2012 vintage. Served chilled and poured into my Portsmouth Brewery snifter glass and enjoyed over about an hour span as it warmed.

Appearance: Medium to dark brown in color with a nice beige head and good retention on the first pour.

Aroma: Big belgian yeast and clove notes upfront. Some toasted malt and a touch of yam, although not as much as the label would have me believe. Ginger, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg round out the spices. The booze is much stronger than I expected.

Taste: The belgian yeast is really strong here and paired with some really strong booze notes. I really expected the sweetness of the yams and the spice notes to round out the booze much better, but it's just not happening for me. The ginger and nutmeg give off some nice flavor, but also give off a strange bitterness. I wish I got more maple though. This just doesn't come together for me.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is on the lower side, with a pretty full body.

Overall, an interesting beer where the concept seems better than the execution. I wanted to like this beer a lot more than I did. The maple notes are barely there and the yams are lacking as well in my opinion, although I've never had a beer with yams so I don't know how qualified I am to judge that. The spice notes wear thin quickly and don't mesh as well with the base beer as I'd expect. I have another bottle and I think a couple years might really help smooth out the edges....hopefully.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%

Split a 750 ml poured into a duvel glass

A: pours a murky copper ish brown with a little over a finger of lightly tanned head. Dissapates into a lingering film, some spots of lacing.

S: notes of Belgian yeast come through at first, bannana peal and a slight hint of Clove, followed by an earthy yam aroma along with some faint spice notes, a light warming toastyness, dont really get much maple in the aroma... Out of the spices I can deffinatly notice some cinnamon, not a huge fan on the aroma here, dose not smell like something I am really goin to enjoy.

T: yah deffinatly note a huge fan here, everything I picked up on in the nose is intensified, especially the belgian yeast characteristics, I get a light hint of maple sweetness on the finish but I feel as though it is being overwhelmed by the yeast and spices, this beer doesn't feel rounded to me at all, a lot of flavor all over the place and none of them particuarly flavors I enjoy.

M: medium body with a medium carbonation the hits the tounge a bit sharply on the finish, that doesn't seem to complement the brew well, also I am left with a yammy aftertaste in my mouth that I do not find I credibly pleasant.

O: I do not like this beer, I feel like it is not very week rounded, the flavors clash, and the Belgian yeast overwhelms just about everything else.... Deffinatly my least favorite offering from the bruery...

On draft. 4 ounce pour in mini-snifter.
Appearance: Brushed copper with a thin ring of foam.
Smell: Smells like fall. Nutmeg and pumpkins. Imagine a pumpkin pie before it’s thrown in the oven.
Taste: Sweet caramel, nutmeg, allspice, with a little whiskey bite at the end. I love the soothing warmth it leaves. Like a liquid blanket on a cold day.
Mouthfeel: Sweet, smooth, and soft.
Overall: I love fall beers and this is one of my favorites. It’s not just pumpkin spices thrown into a brown ale and distributed for the season… it’s carefully crafted to compliment this time of year. Well done.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Served from a bottle into a snifter

Lovely rusty amber colour with generous creamy head.

Smell of coriander, nutmeg, slight cinnamon, slight maple. Definite Belguim fruity scent.

First taste was ok. Needed to allow brew to warm a bit to get the full flavor. Maple came out along with the yam once warm.

Carbonation was adequate and not too thin.

Overall content with this brew but it's not my ab fav of the Oktoberfest beverages. Hybrids are a seasonal liking for me. Delicious at first then I get fatigued with the cinnamon, nutmeg, spice thing etc...only until Christmas hit the shelves. :o)

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%