Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Autumn Maple | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

Added by MiScusi on 09-21-2008

firstprev| 2001-2025 | 2026-2050 | 2051-2075  | next → last
Ratings: 2,060 |  Reviews: 631
4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at the brewery during AHA rally. It's thanksgiving in a glass. Orange amber color with a creamy tan head. Aroma is spices like pumpkin pie meets candied yams. Taste is rich, full malt, some sweetness, and yes you can taste the yams! Some alcohol. Full bodied and smooth for a beer that strong.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tap at Toronado.

Dark brown with a nice tan head. Good clarity.

Smells of fall spices, yeast spiciness, and a earthy flavor. Some sweetness on the nose as well.

Taste was a little disspointed as I figured the beer would have more caramel flavors, and a little more yam. Taste is sweet with a slight carmel, spiciness from the spice additions and the yeast.

Mouthfeel is okay, but a little light for a big dark beer.

Drinkability is actually pretty good for a 10% beer. I would say that the sweetness is the only thing that kept me from having another.

I think the beer may have been a little cool and that I had some unfair expectations of what this beer was and should taste like. It was a good beer just not what I expected.

3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

On tap toronado SD, would love to try a bottle after a year in storage. As the toronado staff noted, this would be awesome with thanksgiving meal. A bit sweet, some spice but with great texture. Really interesting nose and sweet and lingering finish. Like a thanksgiving meal wrapped up into a brew. Very enjoyable. I don't have a lot of experience with this style brew.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%

Thanks to Joey for sending this bottle out to the Southeast. Arrived yesterday and immediatly thrown into the fridge. This one was served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass. Consumed on 11/08/2008.

The pour was rather uninspiring I have to admit. I had heard about the carbonation problems on this one, and it really hit home once I opened the bottle. No head, no foam, no bubbles, no nothing. Just a flat, lifeless, brown liquid. Nearly opaque in its darkness was the only saving grace to this one.

The aroma was pleasant, albeit a little lighter then I was expecting. Nice touches of molasses and maple syrup weighed in heavily, though the spices seemed to be all but covered up under a bit too hot alcohol profile. The flavor though started to redeem itself quite nicely. Rich notes of maple syrup and molasses washed over the tongue immediatly, falling into a spiced yam like flavor that was layered on top of a nice bready malt profile. Lots of alcohol in thiso ne, as the sips starting to warm as I went through it. The carbonation level came into play again in the feel as it just did not have any life to it and it really could have benefitted from this here. Still though, admirably sippable for sure.

Overall, I am looking forward to getting this one again next year, as this years batch has suffered far too greatly from lack of carbonation. It just felt lifeless and dull, which is a shame as this may have been a remarkable brew otherwise.

4.79/5  rDev +26.7%

Served on tap at the Bruery tasting room.

A: Nice brown color with a tint of rusty orange. Not much of a head, but some lingering foam throughout. Looks to be moderately carbonated.

S: Wow. This beer smells incredible. Take a bunch of cooked yams and coat them with about half a bottle of Aunt Jemima and take a big whiff. Other spices come through strong on the nose, cinnamon, vanilla, aroma of a fresh baked bread. Makes me hungry.

T: Thanksgiving dinner liquified. This is by far the best autumn beer tasted to date. The yams obviously plow through out of the gate, but as the beer warms and opens, all other spices really work well together. The beer literally melts in your mouth. With all the commotion, one can still appreciate that this is a belgian brown ale.

M: Perfect carbonation, like a soft cooked yam melts away on your tongue. Alcohol very well balanced for being a 10.5% monster. Give me a glass of this and send me to an apple orchard and I'm a happy man.

D: Very drinkable. Despite all the yam flavor and spices, the beer is not too thick that it is filling. Great from the tap.

Awesome beer, awesome brewery. Like whats going on there and look forward to many future offerings.

3.22/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a light reddish brown. Almost no head. I'm noticing this with some of the Bruery beers. Not sure what's up with that, but I do like a bit of carbonation/head even with very strong brews (unless it's a stout, in which case I don't mind them completely black with only the slightest hint of bubbling murkiness. But I digress).

Smells like ... egads, insane yam smell. Taste brings some crazy spices. Cinnamon? Whoa, flavor explosion. This sucker tastes like it was poured straight from the fermenting vat into your mouth. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, considering the ABV and obvious amount of ingredients that went into it. I detected no maple syrup, though the beer was sweet.

**I just found some tasting notes on this that appear to be about a year old! In any event, repeated bottles demonstrated that the lack of carbonation was an endemic problem. Even on-tap, only mild carbonation, but really flat out of bottle. Will update review/scores.

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured a light brown/orange color. Very unfortunate in the head department as there was no real head to speak of. A few bubbles formed but quickly fizzed away. Looks are not everything a complete lack of head?

Ok, the smell...Wow, the smell on this brew is good. Does not smell like a beer at all actually but has some nice warm spicy notes (some stemming from the yeast I imagine) along side a heaping of yams.

The taste, without a doubt this is a very interesting brew. You can definitely taste the yams right up front. The hints of spices come through followed by a taste that I cant quite pinpoint...it's actually probably the molasses & maple syrup. The hops are kept to a minimum.Though on the back end of things, there's an odd aftertaste that I don't find too pleasant.

It does feel nice in the mouthfeel department. Full bodied an syrupy with very little carbonation. This beer packs a bunch at 10.5% ABV. It's a very interesting brew that's big on yams but I can recommend to try, but in the end, it's not my cup of tea...and I'm a big pumpkin/spice ale fan

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Ah yes...the long awaited Autumn Maple. 400 ml serving on-tap at The Bruery, on to the beer;

The head went away quickly on my sample, the color being a dark russet orange. The aroma is maple syrup at first, then as the beer warms the assorted spices (clove, nutmeg) and yams really come out. If you try this, allow this to warm up to let the overall flavor shine. Yams, yams, and more yams here with assorted spices. (Dark) Fruity Belgian yeast is very noticable. The alcohol can't be found, the carbonation is at a perfect level, it has a full body...I like the feel. Sip and enjoy with a Thanksgiving dinner, or in my case a bratwurst and German potato salad.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

Approximately 400 mL on-tap at The Bruery and a growler, a yam beer, but brewed in the style of a pumpkin ale,

A: Pours a deep burnt orange, before trying it I expected it to be lighter, but I think the deep colour goes well with strong nature of the brew. Fair head retention. Edit - The growler I had of this brew had excellent head retention, it looked really good so I'm upping the score.

S: Fall spices galore, definite nutmeg and cinnamon, allspice is used here too, but it's tough to pick out everything.

T: Spicy upfront with a bite of cinnamon. Yams come into play with a sweet finish with their characteristic taste, some marshmallow and an undercurrent of molasses and maple syrup throughout the whole drink. As close to October in a bottle as I've found so far.

M: Mouthfeel is spot on, the perfect amount of carbonation for a beer of this size. Full-bodied, viscous and spicy, no booze to speak of.

D: A beer that drinks as if it had much lower alcohol, but it still contains some heaviness making it more of a sipper. Best of the style I have ever had, I can't wait 'til it comes out in bottles, I know what I'm drinking this Halloween.

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%

On tap at The Bruery during tasting hours. This beer is brewed with yams, not pumpkins, the traditional pumpkin pie spices, and a Belgian yeast strain.

It's a really nice orange color. Basically the perfect color for a pumpkin spiced ale. Pours somewhat clear, maybe a slight haze or denseness of color.

Smell is sweet and of course spicy... hard for me to ever pick the specific ones out unless they go overboard so I had trouble, but it combines with the Belgian yeast character to make it really interesting. Definitely one of a kind smell.

Maybe I wouldn't have thought maple when I tasted it but it did seem to have sort of a maple syrup type sweetness going on. A bit of the earthy Belgian yeast character too.

It's got some body and slickness to it at 10.5%, but it's not thick and gooey or anything.

Easily the best "pumpkin" ale of the handful I've ever had, though it has it's own unique take with the yams, Belgian yeast, and any other secrets in it. I don't think I'm the biggest fan of the taste of pumpkin ales traditionally, so it says a lot for this one to score so high for me.

firstprev| 2001-2025 | 2026-2050 | 2051-2075  | next → last