Autumn Maple | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

Added by MiScusi on 09-21-2008

3.8

Ratings: 2,050 |  Reviews: 630
2.68/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was excited to try this given the time of year and the fact I've never tried it before...keyword "was".

A: Pours a dark brown and ruby with a big bubbly deep almond colored head that disappears quickly and completely. No lacing.

S: Smell is an unusual dry earthy brown sugar aroma, hint of maple, alcohol. It's not very inviting. More sweet and dry/earthy than anything.

T&M: Sweet, sugary, not unlike some of Bruery's other offerings (BT anyone?). Lots of brown sugar, molasses, maybe a hint of maple syrup. Could hazard a guess there's nutmeg or clove in here, or both. Not sure, this seems to be a grab bag of spices. Too much that none of them stand out, and lend to the overall taste experience. Wouldn't have been able to guess there's yams in here either. This is mainly a very sweet carbonated syrup beverage. Speaking of carbonation, it's a little on the low side. Could be a bit less watery and a bit more bubbly.

O: I don't know. Bruery has some OK beers and some great beers but I haven't tried anything yet that has blown my mind. And more often than not, it's just a miss for me. This beer is not great. I'd say this is more an experiment and in early development stages than a complete final product. Maybe with some work they could make it good, but until then I will not be buying this again.

EDIT: This ended up being a drain pour :(

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

A: deep copper brown
S: yeasty, with hints of alcohol and unfermented sweetness
T: a bit thin for alcohol, on sweeter side, unusual with decent taste but not to my liking, bitterness is there but sweetness wins out, very little head, big fat bubbles
M: sweet but not lacquerish
D: it is what it is but not my style

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours amber, lighter than I expected. Good foam.

I like the aroma, it smells like sweet potato mash with cinnamon.

Well, OK. Not a lot of sweetness...some rotten maple syrup...seems overly bitter for the style. Alcohol, while not tasted, is extremely warming here. I'm not a fan. This should be sweeter, creamier, and around 7%.

Thin feel, which I would probably like if I thought the beer tasted better.

I was expecting something else. This is a big alcohol bomb with some maple and sweet potato flavors, but not enough to keep it interesting for me. Doesn't need to be 10%. At all.

2.72/5  rDev -28.4%

This beer pours a cloudy brown colow, with a thin tan head. The head fades quickly, leaving very little lace.

This beer has a mild maple syrup flavor. It has a slight cinnimon aroma as well. Some yam and marshmally aroma also.

Wow...This beer is unique. It tastes like it smells. Yams, marshmallow, maple syrup and cinnimon. It is a little over sweet.

This beer is full bodied. It is too sweet. It leaves a sweet aftertaste.

This beer wouldnt make a good session beer. The sweetness is overpowering.

Overall: Nice try. It is unique, and if is wasnt so overpowering, it might be good. As it is, it is way too sweet.

2.72/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer was my first experience with a yam brewed beer. I must say that while the beer description was great, the beer its self was not to my liking. I drank this beer on a cool winter day, and I just could not enjoy this beer. The smell was defiantly a tuber brewed beer, smelling sweet and earthy, but the flavor was peculiar. On initial taste, the beer is overpowering. I suggest letting the beer breath for at least a few minutes. Again, earthy and sweet, not a regular flavor for beer. I believe the intent of the brewers was to have you enjoy one of these after thanksgiving dinner with a piece of pie. Best of luck in your adventures, Z.

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a dark, murky brown color with a short lived head. The aroma is sweet like candied yams, perhaps a touch of fruit and certainly alcohol. Tastes follow suit with sweet candied yams, alcohol, belgian yeast, stranger dryness and an overall strange profile. The maple adds to the sweetness and the beer really doesn't go anywhere. More of a chore than a pleasure to drink, but certainly interesting.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Man was I let down by this one. I had high hopes for this beer, and this is the first time the Bruery hasn't knocked my socks off.

A: 750 mL bottle poured into tulip glass. Pours a fairly clear brownish red with an off white one finger head.

S: Yams, yams, more yams, a bit of nutmeg and other spice, and more yams. I can pick up trace hints of alcohol and Belgian phenols behind the yam onslaught.

T: Pretty much what the nose suggested. There are traces of toasted malt, phenolic flavors, spice and sweetness, but all of it is crushed by the dominate yam flavor. Just way too much, totally out of balance. Maybe age will help?

M: Good, a pleasant heaviness that doesn't become too viscous or clinging. Moderate carbonation

D: Awful. On one hand the alcohol was very well hidden, but the flavors are just so crushing that I couldn't finish more than 4-6 oz before I had to hand off the bottle to a friend, who had less than that before handing it off to the drain.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Pour / Appearance: Capped bottle poured into a Heavy Seas tulip. Dark, partially opaque ruby red. Very pretty. Little carbonation; a small ring around the glass but no real head to speak of. For a 10% beer I'm not really surprised, although I'd think the bottle conditioning would have more of an effect. Slight detractor to the appearance, but not a major flaw.

Aroma: Heavy spicing (allspice, nutmeg?) and hints of yam, but not overpoweringly so. Darker malts balance the nose, and faint sugars provide a nice winter warmer aspect. Alcohol is present but masked. Nothing like a brown ale, but a great smell for a yam / pumpkin beer.

Flavor: Wow those spices really quick. Oddly there is a very watery aspect to the whole thing, which is incredibly off putting. It's like mulled water on the backend, and I'm halfway wondering if this did get infected. There is some belgian yeast character, but mostly spice water. I'm very disappointed

Overall: Would have been great if it weren't for the mouthfeel and resultant taste. Maybe well carbed it was excellent, but now it's kinda died,

Bottom Line: I'm not going to bother next year, though I may be in the minority. Can't recommend based on the bottle sampled.

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%