Autumn Maple | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

Added by MiScusi on 09-21-2008

3.8

Reviews: 629 | Ratings: 2,043
3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours mahogany, with little head retention or lacing. Smells of maple and spice. Malty, almost apple-y flavor. Maple in the aftertaste. Taste is immediately a tempered malt sweet with what I would describe as pumpkin pie spice. The Maple flavor weaves itself in through the secondary part of the flavor profile, and sticks around till the end where both aspects are well balanced. Alcohol is not apparent until it warms up.

3.28/5  rDev -13.7%

A - translucent brown with orange and red around the edges. Pours a beefy three finger head that turns into a small, bubbly layer on the top with a fair amount of bubbles around the edges. Heavy lacing.

S - Sweet potato, spicyness from coriander, orange peel, pepper, some kind of sweet fruit, maybe apricot or raisin. The smell is large and impressive, but not my favorite smell. A friend of mine said "This smells exactly like a Hacker Pschorr, but with yams".

T - Lots of sweet potato, but none of the sweetness from the beer comes from that flavor. A plethora of spicyness, mostly coming from what's listed in the smell - coriander, orange peel, banana, pepper, anise, fresh apple cider, caramel. The hop profile is barely peeking out in the finish, a small amount of bitter and citrus. The sweetness is really hanging around. Personally, this feels much more like drinking a yam infused hefeweizen instead of a brown ale.

M - medium body, high carbonation - small bubbles, yay! Coats the mouth and is crisp, very nice.

D - This isn't really for me, so the sustainably isn't high. The sweetness limited me to a glass, and the other two guys I split a bottle with didn't want any extra after their first pours.

3.8/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The beer is a light brown color with a lot of active carbonation. The beer is hazy and the slight head it did had did not last long. The beer gives off a strong aroma of yams. Despite the higher ABV I do not get a strong alcohol smell. You can smell the cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar and other fall spices. The taste is very similar to the aroma but you get a little more alcohol flavoring. The beer has a nice warm feeling to it and great carbonation. It sticks to your mouth and the sweetness sticks in your mouth.

Thanks to mikedashg for sharing one of these. had it before, but never reviewed.

pours a ruddy brownish caramel with some head that recedes quickly and leaves no lace. i think this might be due to the glass shape, because other people at the tasting got a lot of head and lace. we all were vigorously swirling them too, which is sort of weird.

Smells of sweet brown sugar and there's a slight smell of yams, but not what you would expect. There's very mild spice, but it's not prevalent.

Instantly there's a spiciness that isn't overwhelming, but not so light that I'd call it subtle. The sweetness in the nose shows up in the form of sugar and candied yams. The spice and sweet blend very well and there's even a slight hint of nutmeg that rounds everything out.

Overall, this is a good light bodied holiday brew. It was great for a seasonal tasting.

NOTE: Having this side by side with BA Autumn Maple I really think this one is better. There's more subtlety to it, but I'll get into that in my review of the BA version.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Well, I was impressed with this Brown Ale. The quick hit of the molasses soothes out to a candied yam finiish. The aftertaste to me was subtle spices that only lasted for less then a minute. The smell was soft and pairable with it's flavors. If you are looking for a brew with flavors inspired from old fashioned Dutch then It's worth a try.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nutmeg heavy on nose and tongue. The yams and maple are overpowered by the alcohol and the nutmeg. A little too much carbonation for this type of beer. It is a big powerful cold fall eve beer.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer was recommended by a sales member at our local Bristol Farms so I decided to give it a try. At $11 it was a bit more expensive than I wanted but I hoped it would be worth the hype. In short, it was!

This is a classic winter ale that is perfectly suited for a cool evening and a fire (in fact, I've already set aside another bottle for Thanksgiving). It is very sweet and full of lingering spicy flavor. The body is full, almost like a dopplebock in the level of flavour and heaviness. I preferred the taste at the beginning of the bottle more than I did during the last half. This is likely due to the sweetness of the maple and yams and I would suggest you share the bottle (something I neglected to do!).

If this beer was a holiday it would be Thanksgiving. It is full of fall, spicy flavors with a wonderful full-bodied, sweet taste that reminds you of your grandmas sweet potatoes or pumpkin pie.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

Tasty. I have tried a few different beers from the bruery and I have liked most of them. This was no exception. Before it warmed up it just tasted like a real nice dubbel I thought....as it warmed up the flavor became more complex.

The carbonation is a bit higher than I like, but the overall mouth feel is pretty good. The taste is hard to describe as it warms up. It definitely changes , but I don't get the taste of yams, maple...maybe a bit of spices.

I would buy this again. I would like to set a bottle aside and see how the flavor develops over a year or two.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

So excited to try my first beer from The Bruery. Pours a nice dark brown, with ruby highlights when held to the light. It pours with a nice three finger head that really hangs around awhile.
Very nice aromas, peppery spicness and some nice earthy yeast. Lingering in the background you can find some nice clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, and maple syrup.
This is one intensely spiced brew. All of your favorite fall spices are in this one. Again I'm getting some clove, allspice and cinnamon at first. I wish I could pick up some of the yam but I can't really pick that out. Hints of the maple syrup and molasses as well. Didn't pick up any alcohol flavor at all.
It's a little too carbonated I think and comes across just a touch too thin. Overall a very fine brew and I can't wait to try more from The Bruery!!!

1.97/5  rDev -48.2%

750 split with my girlfriend.

Pours a muddy red, with a not so impressive tan head. It has a slightly see through body that looks like flat cherry coke. No legs left behind on my Darkness snifter at all.

Smell is of sweet, brown sugar coated, molasses. I pick up slight hints of Robitussin and cherries on the end.

Taste is sweet cough syrup with more sweet sugars added in.

I was expecting a semi full mouthfeel, but I was left with a stringy, water-like substance that was a struggle to get down.

Overall, I hated it. Enough said. You can't make a bad beer good by adding in more sugar. This is too one dimensional.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a dark red brown color with a one finger mocha colored head. Smells like maple syrup, yams, cinnamon, brown sugar, sweet bread. Tastes predominantly like candied yams with subtle cloves and nutmeg in the finish. Yikes not quite what I remembered from last year. Enjoyable, but too heavy on the yam.

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours dark copper with blood orange highlights when held to the light. One inch of very bubbly head evaporates quickly, settling to a thin white film on the surface.

Mouthfeel is medium-full but with enough carbonation to bring some tangy flavor to the tongue.

This beer hits the nose with molasses, brown sugar, coriander and citrus. There's an earthy undertone that I would guess comes from the yams.

The taste gives you a lot to think about. The sweet molasses and brown sugar flavors come through first. Then the coriander and cinnamon flavors meld in nicely. Some yammy earthiness and depth comes at the midpoint and escorts the beer to its finish which melds that earthy flavor with some hop and alcohol bitterness. the flavor of the yams comes through pretty unmistakably and is distinct from the sweetness. If yams aren't your thing, this isn't your beer.

I'm rating this in comparison to the other fall/pumpkin beers since the yams are really a replacement for that gourd. Based on that standard, I think this beer does quite well. It's not overly spiced and you can actually taste the yams (whereas many pumpkin beers are designed to mimic pumpkin pie rather than actual pumpkin). Not my favorite style or my favorite example of the style, but it is evocative of the season and is worth a try when the leaves change. A worthy experiment from a forward thinking brewery.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured on 4/1/11 into a cigar city snifter

Pours a dark reddish amber with a huge fizzy head that dissipates to no lacing on the glass.

Smells of maple and malt. Tons of spices, molasses, maple, and earthy hits.

Taste is the same. Lots of smooth malt and spices. Maple and other tastes come through but this beer is not great by any standard.

Over all is medium. Not a great beer and high ABV makes for an Oscar Blues substitute.

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

Wow, this is one sweet beer. Maple syrup galore. I'm almost screaming "please turn sour!" come to find out they make this same beer with brettanomyces. I would love to get ahold of it.

It has thick and cloudy burnt orange color with an orangeish tan foam that clears away to a film. Leaves a few bubblies on the side of the glass.

Full bodied beer with tons of rich, toasty malts and gobs of sweetness. I'm thinkin' roasted candied yams, but to be honest, I can't taste actual yams much. It is a maple beer, but it is almost like beer-flavored maple syrup. Phenols are pretty good. Hops show up at the end, but are still pushed aside by the strong sugars and smoky malt aftertaste. Does a pretty good job of covering up the booze until you breathe out. I bet this would be awesome to eat with some sort of fried dessert. I'm also interested to taste one of these that has been cellared.

I rounded the mouthfeel up and the overall down.

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

A: Brownish redish with no head. Beer is the same color as the label.

S: Dark sweet fruits, belgian yeast. Not getting ANY maple/pumpkin/spice

T: Tastes EXACTLY like Treogs Mad Elf, which is one of my favorite beers of all time. I don't think I would be able to tell the deference between the two in a blind tasting.

M: Carbonated and full. Not as carbonated as other belgian ales.

O: Low overall because I don't think this was worth the price, and it didn't taste or smell ANYTHING like a pumpkin seasonal.

4.57/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really like yams and maple. I do NOT like any pumpkin beer I've tried other than Heirloom Pumpkin Barley Wine ( almanac).

This is a very complex, Belgian yesat, copper colored, malt-forward, not too sweet, yammy, maple concoction: barrel aged. It still tastes like beer, excellent beer. It does not taste or resemble most pumpkin beers in any fashion.

From first frost until sugaring season, I'm apt to pull one out of the cellar to pair with duck, turkey, roast pork.

IMHO, the Bruery makes great beers. This is one of the more under- appreciated examples.

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

On tap toronado SD, would love to try a bottle after a year in storage. As the toronado staff noted, this would be awesome with thanksgiving meal. A bit sweet, some spice but with great texture. Really interesting nose and sweet and lingering finish. Like a thanksgiving meal wrapped up into a brew. Very enjoyable. I don't have a lot of experience with this style brew.

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

First beer from the Bruery for me. I've been looking forward to this one. Gorgeous fall in MN this year, so let's have a beer to match.

Pours golden brown, ample carbonation, a bit cloudy. Apparently previous years were undercarbonated. Mine isn't at all. Nice white head with a careful pour.

Smells are spicy. Nutmeg, clove, belgian spices. Feels like a pumpkin beer to my nose, but the label says yams. Whatever it is, I like it.

Tastes are right where you're expecting them to be. Belgian spice, with the other spices mentioned above. Yam/pumpkin pretty obvious too. Everything in harmony, a good integration of flavors. Some sweetness, but not as much as you'd think. I was expecting "too sweet" to be a criticism of this beer, but it really isn't. Very belgiany, which I'm not a huge fan of in general, but works with the spices here.

Mouthfeel is spot on. Thick enough to support the flavors and let them linger, but not overdone. Alcohol pretty well hidden. Easy to drink if you like the flavor profile. I liked the flavor profile. So I finished the 750ml easily.

I liked this beer. I don't know if I've had a better fall harvest pumpkin belgian strong dark ale. I also don't know if i've had another fall harvest pumpkin belgian strong dark ale. But if I had, I imagine it would not have been as good as this one.
Would like to try the barrel aged version of this.

4.22/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a dark cider brown with some dark red highlights on the edges. Off white bubbly head fades to a cap relatively quickly. There's really no lacing to speak of.

S - Aromas of yeast and spices like cloves and cinnamon. A little bit of raisin in there as well.

T - Yams are noticeable, also a bit bready and yeasty. There is also a nice fruitiness, raisin or plum, balancing this off. There is definite warming from the alcohol. As it warms, the molasses makes itself apparent.

M - Medium bodied, tingly carbonation.

O - A nice seasonal brew, very glad I tried this. Good for a nice cool fall night. Definitely gets better the longer it is in the glass

3.82/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pour like dirty Apple cider -- a murky orangish brown. Absolutely no head whatsoever, so it looks like Apple cider too, with just a few large bubbles congregating on one side of the glass.

S: Aromas are a cross between a pumpkin beer and a sweet belgian dubble. Aromas of baked apples, cinnamon, pumpkin pie filling, brown sugar, unsweetened Apple cider.

T: A lot of the aroma comes through on the taste. It actually tastes like a flat -- and i mean flat -- Apple skin-flavored cider, with molasses, maple sugar, mild spice and a bit of the yam coming through.

M: Ok, this is where you go WTF? The beer falls flat here, literally. There's only the slightest detectable touch of carbonation, and this medium bodied brew comes off tasting flat and lacking any kind of consistency. Somewhat syrupy, but a thin syrup.

D: Overall, this beer lacks a feel and carbonation, which kind of spoils it. There is 10% ABV in this beer, but it is so tasty that I cannot detect the slightest bit of it. Kind of tastes like a pumpkin brew you left open and out all night that somehow retained all its flavor but not its carbonation. Its still very drinkable, just half as enjoyable as it would be with some body.

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Have had this beer multiple times on both tap and bottle

Pours a merky brown with a slight hints of orange coming through. Small finger head the resides quickly but leaves a small lacing that stays for a while
Strong smell of sweet oven roasted yams, this reminds me ove oven cooked sweet potatoes with maple syrup, alcohol is farily present as well.
This is very sweet, maple taste up front, followed by yam, and a very sweet malt in the finish, the yam favor balances out the sweetness
light carbonation, full bodied, fairly smooth, very nice balance in the mouthfee

Very sweet but very smooth, heavy but I love having a few of these each fall

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

750 from Westmere Beverage in Albany, NY.
Consumed on 11/1/2009.

I'll start by saying I was very excited for this beer based on the flavor implications.

A - muddy brown. 1 finger foam subsides with limited lacing. legs.

S - brown sugar, yeasty, malty...almost tripel-like. can detect a hit of yam and maple syrup, but it's not strong enough to be obvious.

T - candi sugar...like an offering from Unibroue or Ommegang. yeasty. alcohol is there as well. fluffy malts and spice and lots of residual sweetness. pretty good, but i can't really pick out the damn yams and maple syrup, both of which i really like.

M - high carbonation and light/medium body

D - tasty...10% but i could see this being better with more yam/maple flavor covering a barleywine base.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I enjoyed this beer on a cold autumn night in Colorado, from a vantage point where I could practically hear falling leaves scraping against the window as they listlessly fell onto a fading suburban lawn. It's a fine setting for this dark brew, and shortly after the pour I get a real sense of how appropos it is. THe aroma is packed with molasses, and seasoned with dark pepper and bay leaf. Overall, my impression is a scent that is both deep and sweetFascinating aroma. Lots of molasses and black pepper and all spice and even bay leaf. It's a smell worth of competing with a slow cooker running through a deep autumn afternoon. And now we move to the body, thick and deep in palate and flavor. Sweet potato tang and sweetness appear here, borrowing some spice from the nose for a pungent, but deep, dulcet and satisfying flavor. Dark molasses provides that body and sweetness, mixing together well with all the other flavors. But do take cautious: this is immensely boozy. Let it age a season or two, or if you just prefer strength to finesse.

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Served in a tulip glass and had it on tap.
This years version was the highlight on tap but from the bottle not so much. I guess it does makes a difference. You get spice, nutmeg, slightly hot but drinkable. The color is maple syrup brown but the taste not so much. The overall taste is balanced on tap with the bold flavors of liquid yams, spices, sweet mouthful of goodness. The bottle is lack of any of yams and its heat(alcohol) overpowers it. It's very inconsistent to what I tasted on tap then from the bottle. Go figure! Cheers.

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into 8oz tear drop @ Bier Stein

A - Pours a hazy deep red w/ small prickly beige head that fades quick to a ring and leaves no lace

S - Smells of brown sugar, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spices, prunes, fruity esters, sweet malts, light floral notes.

T - Tastes of Cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spices, sweet potato pie, caramelized sugar, dried fruits, and floral alcohol

M - Alcohol warmth, prickly acidity from high carbonation, spicy heat in the semi dry finish, smooth

O - Very rich and deep, complex, fruity esters play well with the spices and maple. Very drinkable, warming, hints of floral from the alcohol. Nice beer.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery