Autumn Maple | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

A capped 750ml bottle purchased at Abe's in Bethlehem for around $8. Well, I was hoping to cellar this until next year to allow the flavors to mingle a bit, but I couldn't resist it's call as I opened the beer fridge on this chilly Thanksgiving night.

Uncapped and poured into my trusty Duvel tulip glass. The ale appears a mildly murky crimson chestnut color with about two fingers of fizzy, quickly fading ecru foam. A nice looking pour. The flavors and aromas are of cinnamon, nutmeg, a pungent bitterness that I'm guessing is coming from the molasses, a good amount of maple sweetness, banana taffy notes, spicy cracked black pepper, caramel, roasted sweet potatoes/yams, belgian yeast. Medium bodied and I'm glad to see the carbonation problem that plagued last years release has been resolved. This ale is quite effervescent and the spiciness from the pepper and/or yeast lingers well after each sip. The alcohol is well hidden as well. Overall, this is something I'll look forward to each fall. Put me down for a bottle next year.

3.04/5  rDev -20%

Chilled bottle into a glass. 2010 vintage. Shared with alfrantzell (Arne) and chswimmer (Ted).

A: Pours a deep amber body with a light beige head that retains poorly, but keeps a nice cap and collar on the brew as I sip.

S: Definitely an autumnal aroma; it reminds me of a pumpkin beer in its spice combination of cinnamon and nutmeg. I got a touch of maple or molasses, yam (this reminded me of The Vine from a long time ago), and vanilla. Quite nice on the nose.

T: The taste is a bit of a letdown. It's underattenuated and sweet. The spices noted in the nose take some of the edge off; cinnamon and clove lend a light bite that gives the impression of finishing dry, but after several sips it becomes apparent that that isn't the case. The maple and molasses dominate. After a while it got to be too rich to my palate.

M: Carbonation is low for a BSDA, but this is somewhat of a mutant attempt at the style, so I'll let it pass. It brings out the flavors quite a bit, but it emphasizes how heavy the beer is, which is a drawback. I'll call it a wash.

D: None of us cared for it; it's not offensive, just "there." I could have finished it, but I wasn't excited enough to do so. Most of the bottle went down the drain so we could move to something else. I think I'm just not in the target market for this heavy sipper; won't buy again.

Bottle purchased in August 2010.

A- Pours a clear red/brown liquid with a thin but creamy off-white head.

S- Candy, Belgian yeast, white bread, and just the slightest hint of spices. Overall, a bit on the mellow side considering the ingredients and alcohol content.

T- Some spices, yams, white bread, molasses, and fruit. Definitely has a Belgian aspect to it.

M- Very creamy body but the finish is a bit astringent with some lasting warmth from the alcohol.

O- A very interesting and well made take on the "pumpkin" style. The alcohol is pretty well hidden which adds to the drinkability. Worth trying, especially on a cool fall night.

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.38/5  rDev -11.1%

Off-tap this beer was a cloudy copper color with a head that displayed nice retention and left spots of lacing. The aroma was of caramel malt, yams, and spices. The flavors were a bit odd in my opinion, semi-sweet malts, alcohol, light esters, hints of maple and a lot of spices in particular nutmeg that seemed to sit on top of everything else. I didn’t get the subtleties I was hoping for due to this element. The mouthfeel was good, the body medium and the carbonation a little low.

750ml bottle received in the Black Booty 3 BIF from jmoore50. Thanks! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a translucent, yeasty amber orange color with a finger of cream colored head that fades quickly dropping down to a thin collar and sparse islands of bubbles on the surface. No lacing left on the glass.

S - Sweet and spicy...cinnamon, nutmeg, maple, sweet potatoes, molasses. Interesting and a bit unique. I'm liking it though.

T - Sweet up front with sugary malt, molasses, maple, sweet potatoes all contributing. A good amount of alcohol enters the flavor along with a slight sourness on the fringes...and of course spices are in the middle of it all - cinnamon and nutmeg especially. Some yeasty flavors too, but not really Belgian in nature - more bread yeast like. Interesting and good. This is a pretty catch all style, so I guess it is to style, but a bit outside of the box...not necessarily a bad thing.

M - Medium bodied with ample carbonation...pretty fizzy in feel. A bit of alcohol warmth. Sweet sugars of a multitude of types and sources in this recipe coat the mouth and feel a bit sticky as they go down.

D - Interesting and different. Overall I like this beer, but the spices are a bit much to have a lot of...split this bottle and this made it the perfect amount in a session. Definitely would go for this again, in moderation...maybe sided by side with the BA version I have in my cellar next time.

3.64/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.17/5  rDev -16.6%

Pours a deep brownish-red, pink highlights. 1-finger beige head quickly forms to a thin ring, no lace.

Smell is a bit odd but intriguing, dark fruit, dark bread, some spice and tartness...only a hint of what's to come.

Taste has alot more to it, but is quite bizarre... dark fruit, licorice, tons of fall and winter spice, potpourri, a bit of funky tartness, medicinal notes. Not really my cup of tea but the complexity/oddness kept me sipping.

Oily mouthfeel, high carbonation, some booze but felt lower than 10.5%.

I can appreciate this for it's originality, I've never had a beer quite like this. But this is pretty wacky, and overspiced in my opinion.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery