Autumn Maple | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with 17 lbs. of yams per barrel (in other words, a lot of yams!), this autumn seasonal is a different take on the "pumpkin" beer style. Brewed with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup, and fermented with our traditional Belgian yeast strain, this bold and spicy beer is perfect on a cold autumn evening.

ABV: 10%, IBU: 25, SRM: 15, Release: Fall

Added by MiScusi on 09-21-2008

3.8

Reviews: 630 | Ratings: 2,048
3.35/5  rDev -11.8%

Received this in a trade with EliottJW. Poured into a Tulip on Thanksgiving, cuz we're classy.

Appearance: Big 3-4 finger head on top of a dark reddish brown beer. Head recedes slowly to 1 finger but never seems to leave. Moderate amounts of lacing. Some floaters swimming around in the brew.

Smell: Sugary sweet smell. Sweet like maple syrup. Sort of a brown sugar kind of scent and some other spices. Does smell quite a bit like a baked sweet potato. Some yeast and caramel malt aroma.

Taste: Maple syrup sweetness, not too overwhelming at first but a little more so as it warms. Then breaks into a spicy sweet potato flavor. Some fruity yeast notes as well as roasted malts. Alcohol provides a bit of a warming feel but it blends pretty well with the syrupy sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Alcohol warmth and moderately carbonated. Medium bodied. Smooth, sweet finish.

Drinkability: I took my time with it, I think it took about 2.5 hours to finish the bottle. The sweetness becomes a little cloying, and the alcohol starts to show itself both in the flavor and in your head after a while. Nice body to it though.

Not a bad beer. A different take on fall beer compared to all the other pumpkin ales, but I think it misses the mark.

3.08/5  rDev -18.9%

Not my favorite - ended up trying to finishing most of the bottle myself cause the wife hated it. Was OK paired with some dark chocolate, but all the unique flavors never really came together.

2.08/5  rDev -45.3%

Chestnuts roasting in the kitchen prompted me to open a bottle I originally envisioned opening on Thanksgiving. I am trying this beer with the girlfriend - she is hard at work prepping for tomorrow's Thanksgiving feast while I am happily sinking into the couch.

Beer poured into an Allagash tulip.

A: The beer looks exactly like sweet tea, minus the ice. Despite an aggressive pour, there is absolutely no head, nor any semblance of carbonation or bubbles rising to the top.

S: This was the strong point of the beer. Very interesting scents with initial notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and raisins. At first I did not detect the yams but the aroma became more distinguished as the beer warmed slightly in the glass. Some of the smells really do (for me at least) conjure up images of fall.

M: The mouthfeel was very weak, which I would attribute primarily to the aforementioned lack of carbonation. It lacked any sort of body. Tangy, and not in a good way.

T: Exhibits some qualities of the more typical Belgian brown ale. However, the more I have, the less I can discern the attributes of the style and the more I notice the yams and spices. It becomes overpowering. There is a bitterness that lingers long after the sip and I find myself wanting to cleanse my palate after each sip.

D: Not good. The bitter aftertaste makes more than a smallish glass of this untenable. There is quite an alcohol wallup - noticed by both me and the girlfriend - which is hidden quite well. As I prefer my beers on the strong side, I view this as a positive.

Overall, this beer was memorable, but for the wrong reasons. I applaud the Bruery for their creativity, but in my (admittedly) novice opinion, the Autumn Maple just doesn't work. If they can get the carbonation worked out, I would be curious to try a small glass on tap next year, but I will not be buying another bottle. Ever. I am looking forward to the Bruery (hopefully) redeeming itself in the bottle of Saison Rue that I will be opening shortly.

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Light golden color. Goldfish and clear.

S: Strong honey. A resemblance of mead.

T: Starts with honey and yam and finishes with baked beans. Yes..I can taste baked beans.

M: Light, fruity but slightly viscous.

O: A good beer from The Bruery. I'm glad they tried something different for their fall seasonal..not sure it really beat the good ol' pumpkin ale though. It definitely got very sweet towards the end. Good beer overall.

3.63/5  rDev -4.5%

Wow this stuff is killer. Pours a reddish-copper with some head that quickly dissipates.

Smells heavily of booze and spices. Very sweet and boozy, its a pleasant taste, but gets to be too much over time.

A fair amount of carbonation, but the alcohol just makes it tough to drink more than a few ounces of it. Like I said, a pleasant taste, but very hard to drink.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Bruery tulip glass

Pours a very dark brown/copper color with a small light brown head which dissipates rather quickly into a fizzy top layer, leaving no lacing behind. Wow. The aroma is really strong on this one. This began with a strong aroma of Belgian yeast and burnt caramel, with hints of allspice and molasses. Oh yeah.... and YAMS. The first sip was quite spicy, with a sweet backend, almost tasted like teriyaki sauce. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice all dominate the flavor up front, but burnt caramel and sweet yams to end It. There is also a very noticeable spice from the alcohol content. Mouthfeel on this is kind of syrupy, while displaying a great amount of carbonation. Just like someone mentioned earlier, kind of a medicinal feel to it. I think this is a great, and creative interpretation on this style of beer. Cheers to The Bruery for keeping it creative and different, while maintaining the high-quality we have come to expect from them.

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%

A- A hazy brown redish haze of a beer. I guess it looks like brown or a pumpkin, there is almost no head.

S- I smell maple, hints not nutmeg, even smaller amount of allspice. I get some Belgium yeast in this. I know that this has a better aroma, or I hope it does. I'm going to let this warm up and see if it reviews. The real disappointment is how strong the aroma is not.

T- Lots of molasses, thick and sweep yams coats the tongue. Once the beer is gone, a buttery sweet maple taste coats the tongue. Savory but still very sweet from the imperial brown malt background. I think I would like to have something to off set the sweetness, almost a salty or bitter or burn to it. I'm thinking of maple bacon or ham, but with no salt. This beer is just so smooth and syrupy and Belgium.

M- very sweet, savory due to the buttery maple coating. Very thick, carbonation. Really coats the whole tongue. There is surprising no burn from the 10% alcohol, but this is common and to be expected by the Bruery.

O- This is a solid deconstruction of Fall flavors recombined into a sweet thick and mapley beer. While it has the flavors of fall, I think the combination could be combined and tamed into something better. I want some more savor in my sweetness of fall. Overall I will drinking another one of theses while eating left overs of cold turkey.

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Had this today at The Bruery.

Poured copper brown with a khaki head that slowly dissipated.

I smelled brown sugar right off the bat, some spicy cinnamon, and some molasses, though not really yammy or vegetal to me.

Tastewise, I did detect some yammy sweetness if that makes sense. Nice brown sugar and molasses profiles as well, maybe even a little nutmeg. I'd say the big flavor in this was the brown sugar/molasses notes. Good carbonation on this as well, nice mouthfeel.

I liked this mostly because I was expecting an overly spiced big sweet potato pie, but instead I got some good balance between the sweetness and the spice--good body and good balance. And the ABV was also well-hidden.

I bought the barrel-aged version in a bottle as well, so I can't wait to compare the two.

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%

My search for the perfect autumn ale has lead me to try this in the middle of spring. Why not! The weather is cool probably for the last time in a long while so let's go.

Beautiful red orange color. A tan head sits on top for a while. A very pretty beer.

Lots of spices in the smell with cloves and yams and sweetness.

I have to give credit to emmasdad who said this is Thanksgiving dinner in a bottle. Exactly right. Everything is here except the turkey and the stuffing. This beer has a huge flavor profile that softens as it warms. We tried it with some honey ham and then some apple pie and it was terrific with both. The alcohol is more pronounced when cold but as it warms up, it takes a back seat to the rest of the autumn explosion.

I've been disappointed several times searching for a good autumn seasonal ale. This one fills the bill nicely. While it's definitely a niche beer those who like this sort of thing will be rewarded. Next fall, I'll be popping the cork on more of these.

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured this one into the suggested goblet style glass. The body is the color of dark caramel and the head, which is full of bubbles at first, fades away quickly leaving

Aroma: Wow! Candied yams right up front, a syrupy sweetness on the back end.

Taste: Rustic and grainy on the tongue. It is definitely unique and complex. The thick body and heat of a barely wine with some floral touches of a Belgian/Farmhouse ale. Not much carbonation in this one either.

This beer is a meal in itself. Share this one with friends!

3.29/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2012 Vintage poured on 27DEC12

Poured a nice reddish brown with about 2 finger head that dissipated quickly.

Don't really get the yams, get a little fall spices and some maple flavor. Get a spiciness from the yeast.

Taste the yams molasses and syrup really come though. Definitely sweet start that lingers throughout the finish. Don't taste any of the alcohol and don't get any warming so it was hidden well for 10%.

Feel a little thin would have preferred for it to stick around a little bit longer.

Overall a decent beer but probably won't buy it again.

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall, a great beer! It tastes like crushed Christmas cookies (I came up with this description on my own... I swear). Drinks smooth, with a slightly sweet aftertaste. Definitely worth seeking out and trading for!

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Hadn't had this beer before and was excited to see it come into the store on Friday!

A: pours a cloudy amber. One finger white tan head on the beer

S: pick up the yams and sweetness from the maple syrup right away. After that comes the spices specifically cinnamon.

T: wasn't sure what to expect. I like pumpkin beers buthadnt had a yam beer before. The first taste was great. Smooth and subtle from the yams then sweet and spicy with the maple syrup and cinnamon and nutmeg, This beer has a much more pleasing taste than the pumpkin beers I have had in the past. The yam really makes this beer almost desert like, similar to the sweet yams my grandma brings to thanksgiving dinner.

M: smooth at first with light carbonation and a very subtle alcohol burn on the finish. Makes for a really nice drink.

O: This beer is wonderful. As a year round it would be ruined, but as a seasonal it is an absolutely wonderful beer. The temperature is dropping and this beer has the flavor and size to make everything a bit warmer and cozy-er. I would pick up a f of these for some of the colder nights ahead!

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

Had it on cask @ Beachwood. Thanks gabe!

A very interesting beer! My first sip made me "Wow!" with all the flavors to take in. You can definitely taste the yams and it's fairly spiced but very drinkable. Cinnamon, ginger and allspice (i think) jump out at me. The color is light amber and the head was well formed. I hear the bottles have a carbonation problem, but it works well on cask because you don't expect much. It tastes like what a autumn amber should taste like. I wouldn't drink it every day, but I would gladly grab a bottle next autumn to enjoy.

3.14/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Not a big fan of pumpkin/pumpkin spiced beers but been trying to get into them. Disliked this one for reasons I didnt expect. It had really nice autumn flavours of the yams, the spices and some caramel, but then a big, hot booziness which I was not expecting at 'only' 10%.

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to one of the Erics for this bottle.

Pours a nice brown, slightly copper to orange. Creamy off white head.

the aroma is spicy, cloves, bready, touch of sulphur, maple sweetness blended with caramel. Very nice.

I was expecting this to be much sweeter from the nose. It's nice a balanced with a touch of bitterness to balance all the sweet stuff going on. Following from the nose there is some spices, cloves, pepper, a hint of honey or very light maple syrup sweetness. Balanced with a nice earthy tone in the beer.

Medium carbonation, nice body being full, and being fairly dry on the finish.

This is worth trying, though not my favourite of the Bruery beers.

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Pour / Appearance: Capped bottle poured into a Heavy Seas tulip. Dark, partially opaque ruby red. Very pretty. Little carbonation; a small ring around the glass but no real head to speak of. For a 10% beer I'm not really surprised, although I'd think the bottle conditioning would have more of an effect. Slight detractor to the appearance, but not a major flaw.

Aroma: Heavy spicing (allspice, nutmeg?) and hints of yam, but not overpoweringly so. Darker malts balance the nose, and faint sugars provide a nice winter warmer aspect. Alcohol is present but masked. Nothing like a brown ale, but a great smell for a yam / pumpkin beer.

Flavor: Wow those spices really quick. Oddly there is a very watery aspect to the whole thing, which is incredibly off putting. It's like mulled water on the backend, and I'm halfway wondering if this did get infected. There is some belgian yeast character, but mostly spice water. I'm very disappointed

Overall: Would have been great if it weren't for the mouthfeel and resultant taste. Maybe well carbed it was excellent, but now it's kinda died,

Bottom Line: I'm not going to bother next year, though I may be in the minority. Can't recommend based on the bottle sampled.

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours orangish brown with huge tan head that quickly dissipates into nothing with no lacing.
Aromas of brown sugar, maple syrup, cloves, cinnamon, plums, and orange zest.
Autumn Maple tastes like a sweet yam casserole with brown sugar, black pepper, grape juice, lemon, and a multitude of spices. There's definitely a lot going on here. The beer is spritzy in mouthfeel but it's thin too. This is a good fall beer, but I think I prefer the taste of pumpkins in my beer over the taste of yams.

4.29/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

I was not sure I'd love this beer but I was sure my guests would love it. But it turns out that I knew I would love this beer and I ended up drinking almost a third of the bottle. It's definitely a tricky beer to pull out at T-day (the perfect beer but...) some people just don't love a complex beer like this. Have you ever had sweet potatoes with maple syrup? Yeah. So this is that and somehow better. It takes a moment, but it strikes you that the flavor and mouthfeel of this ambitious T-day beer is rightly balanced. I was sad when the bottle was done, despite all the other beers at my fingertips (I over-prepared for Thanksgiving cuz it was my first time hosting...lots of leftover food and beer!) Thanks The Bruery, let's make this a tradition.

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not bad. Orangey pale hue, like unripe mango. cloudy with a white head that lingers thin on top of the beer. Belgian yeast comes through first on the nose followed by warming alcohol. there is some sweetness, not so much maple, maybe brown sugar and a strong scent of unripe jackfruit. The taste is pleasant but relatively one dimensional. spicy belgian yeast, some powdery fruit and not much maple or yam, which is what got me excited about this. A little thin and undercarbonated for me. All in all not bad, but somewhat dull.

3.86/5  rDev +1.6%

Appearance: beautiful blood orange color. Almost no head to speak of. Nice alcohol legs and big lacing around the glass.
Smell: nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, spicy esters, pumpkin
Taste: a little boozy, mild sweetness, spices are well balanced but the yam doesn't really come through except to give it a richer mouthfeel. Molasses too. There is a nice roasty, spiciness from the belgian yeast although it tastes like rye. Yams really start to come out as the beer warms up. There is also a nice breadiness without any of the yeasty notes characteristic of many belgian beers.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied with light carbonation.
Overall: a first the booziness was a little off putting but it's only appears at the tip of the tongue and actually melds very well with this well balanced beer. None of the spices are too aggressive. This makes for a very nice take on the pumpkin beer.

2.67/5  rDev -29.7%

Bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Maybe a burnt orange color with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Pretty average.
S: Not too bad. Some nice spice smells with a some of the yammy-ness to it. A bit of some rich sweetness... molasses or maple syrup like.
T: Just totally off. It's overly sweet and the yams taste more like undercooked yams than sweet delicious ones. Decent amount of spice coming through but that plus the belgian style sweetness is the show here. Totally unbalanced.
M: Medium mouthfeel to it. Nothing too overly special here.

Overall: Really just not very good. It had some interesting smells, but the flavor was very unbalanced. Nice try, but something I really didn't enjoy. Plus... it's dang pricey.

4.15/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a deep amber with deep reddish highlights and a beige one finger head. Lots of carbonation lines the edge of the glass leaving a very fine ring. Looks super appetizing. Aroma is predominately sugar and spice and everything nice. Reminds me of pecan pie for some reason. Smells a bit "hot." I can tell there's a good amount of ABV lurking inside. Taste is fig, raisins, molasses and spices. I'm reading the label right now and it's spot on.. "..brewed with yams, molasses, maple syrup and spices." If that's not an accurate description I don't know what is. Mouthfeel is on par with other top belgian strong dark ales. I wouldn't say this is a super drinkable beer. I'm through one glass and I'm feeling a lil cloudy-headed already.
Overall, a pretty good brew and perfect for the fall months!

Sampled on-tap at Hops & Pie. Compared side-by-side to Upslope's Pumpkin Ale.

Cloudy light orangey-amber color, with a little noticeable particulate. Sort of looks like unfiltered, fresh apple cider. Minimal head, light carbonation. Some may not like the cloudiness, but I feel it suits the beer nicely, as it's a bit rustic in nature, in a good way.

An intriguing nose and palate that is a bit earthy and subtly complex, with a nice rawness to it, like opening up a fresh can of pureed pumpkin or yams. The spice is nicely integrated, at least when I tried it, and not overblown by any means (although the Short's Huma Lupa Licious IPA I had beforehand could've skewed my tastebuds a bit).

Like comfort food, this is comfort beer. A wonderful Fall seasonal.

2.62/5  rDev -31.1%

A- Unfiltered, light coppery brown color with a small, brown head. Not much to look at. Kind of a brothy, soup stock sort of vibe. Earthy but light. Light carbonation with little activity. The head dissipates fairly quickly and doesn't stick to the glass.

S- Sharper smells with lemon accents. Initially a big yam boldness, belgian yeast, light dark bready aromas and a spicy fruit character. Overwhelming roasted mashed yam/sweet potato smells, light banana, and clove characters throughout. Extremely sugary- dark maple syrup and vague spice shine with the roasted yams bouquets to round this one out.

T- Sweet brown sugar melded with a light roasted yam character and plenty of belgian yeast. A little lemon citrus upfront. Sweetened maple syrup darkness mixed with molasses and herbal tea dominants the palate. Sugary bourbons, roasted textures, a mild lemon acidity, and a lemon herbal tea character from the spices finishes it out.

MF- Lingering candied traits and a modest spiciness on the tongue. A big belgian beer that's not overly thick but offers virtually no drinkability. Incredibly sugary, mild astringency.

O- This beer reminds me a lot of bourbon sweet potatoes served at a Thanksgiving dinner. Very sweet, lots of alcohol, a gigantic amount of maple syrup, all with roasted yams buried underneath the flavors. Booze stands in the finish amid a molasses and syrupy belgian style brew. Disappointing, rough to drink. Didn't like the balance between the flavors much. This beer could have improved from a different yeast choice. Also, not a fan of maple syrup…. that turned me off a bit.

Autumn Maple from The Bruery