Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Saison De Lente | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Spring

Our Spring Saison is light blonde in color with a fresh hoppiness and a wild and rustic Brettanomyces character. Lighter in color and alcohol than our Saison Rue, yet equally complex in its own way.

The wild yeast in Saison de Lente will continue to dry it out over time, giving a slightly more mature character to vintage bottles. Perfect for warmer weather picnics and Spring celebrations.

Added by ClockworkOrange on 01-02-2009

Ratings: 1,230 |  Reviews: 499
4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

4/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed from notes from The Bruery tasting I hosted Saturday night.

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Half Acre tulip.

A- Pours a cloudy orange with a 3" off-white head. Lacing covers half of the edges of the glass.

S- Pale malts with nice tart lemons and citrus aromas.

T- Semi-sweet malts with nice tart lemon flavors.

M- Light body, medium carbonation. Has a light acidity to it.

O- Very nice saison that has lots of citrus notes. I could see drinking this beer very easily by myself on a hot day.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%

A- Huge frothy, bubbly, white head that lingers. Leaves lacing all over the glass. Body is a transparent golden/orange color.

S- Some spicy black pepper, citrus, bread. Has a fresh smell to it.

T- Similar taste to a white wine. Citrus notes and spice comes through. A hint of a wheat like taste is in there as well.

M- Dry, with a dryer aftertaste. Light, crisp mouthfeel.

O- Not sure if I have had a beer with Brett before, but this one is very tasty. I am surprised how dry and wine like the feel was, but the flavors were crisp and refreshing. Good take on a spring seasonal.

4.02/5  rDev +0.5%

B+

750ml into a tulip. Pours a fairly clear golden copper, frothy towering slow to recede yellow cream colored head, great lacing.

Aroma reaches from the glass. Spicy, peppery and above all yeasty. Honey and citrus. A quiet musty dirt floor gives it backbone and depth. Delicious

Taste too is yeasty goodness. The brett, while obvious, is restrained and sits in the background. Hoppy citrus, mild grassy bitterness defines the aftertaste. Medium bodied.
cheers
jd

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.88/5  rDev -3%

Pours like any golden ale. Use a Duvel Tulip glass for this one.
It had a nice creamy, very creamy appearing white head that lingered quite some time (not sure if its the glass, this was the first time I used a Duvel).
Lots of fruit in the bouquet, nice freshly picked berries from the garden, plus there was just a fragrance of freshly cut flowers in a garden setting.
The taste was light crisp and somewhat bold. Almost all the flavors I picked out with my nose, where here in the taste. Some I wish werent in the taste. Now after each taste, I picking up more of the fruit smells and also along with the taste. Somewhat unbalanced.
I do have my favorites when it comes to styles of beers, but I try not to let that sway me in any one direction. The Saison/Farmhouse Ales are just not on my top ten.

4.27/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a brandy snifter.

A: Perfectly clear. Two fingers of light, fizzy head. Scattered lacing. Copper coloured.

S: It reminds me of open fields. Fresh clover, spicy yeast, light citrus. A bit of funky barnyard flavors.

T: Interesting! Berries, fresh grass, light citrus, and some funky yeast (light Brettanomyces?). Enough to satisfy me with this saison. Lightly dry-sweet aftertaste. More fruit.

M: Light, spritely and refreshing. Great for the summer months, I'm sure.

O: Good saison, great even. Recommended. Will have again. This is what I expect a saison to taste like.

Saison De Lente from The Bruery