Melange No. 3 | The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

Added by Floydster on 02-14-2009

Reviews: 262 | Ratings: 1,838
4.68/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

color: dark brown

head: very thin, off white, fades very quickly

nose: caramel, dark fruit

flavor: caramel, dark fruit ( Raisin, Prune), brown sugar, light bourbon.

Some booziness in the finish, but overall a surprisingly un-boozy for such a high ABV.

Overall an excellent American Strong Ale. I've tasted this one several times, and will continue to revisit it.

----------------------------------------------------------
update: 5/24/15

2012 vintage

Aging seems to have diminished the nose, I didn't find dark fruit, but noticed some oak and nuttiness.

Noticed some oak in the flavor, flavors noted early persist except the bourbon, but are more subtle.

The sweetness is dominating the flavor.

I liked it better fresh.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

Reviewing the Melange 3 from The Bruery. This is a blend of Black Tuesday, White Oak and Papier. This is only the second beer that I have ever tried from The Bruery, the other one being 100% Barrel Aged Cuir -- which was divine. The Bruery is probably best known for their highly sought after Russian Imperial Stout -- Black Tuesday. I should have a bottle of all three arriving in the mail soon!
Score: 97

Red waxed 2011 vintage bottle served in a Surly Darkness snifter and enjoyed on 01/19/12.

Appearance: Pours a deep brown color with caramel highlights at the top of the glass. One finger of frothy off white/cream colored head that settles into a ring around the glass. Light lacing -- leaves behind some oily brown residue on the side of the glass that slowly drips back down -- but that is to be expected from a 15.5% ABV beer. 4/5

Smell: There's a ton going on in the aroma. From the first pull I get tiramissu, vanilla and brown sugar. There's definitely some molasses in there too. I cannot put my finger on exactly what type, but there's a distinct type of cake aroma here. I wish I could pin down which cake I'm thinking of. Further whiffs reveal raisin/dark fruit and some chocolate. There's a smooth leathery bourbon aroma in there too, but no real "alcohol" booziness in the nose, which is surprising because this one is a 15.5% ABV beer. 4.5/5

Taste: Wow. The flavor to this is divine. Upfront I get some vanilla flavored cake of sorts with alcohol warming, but no alcohol flavor/bite. There's some brown sugar and molasses here, as well as bourbon soaked raisins. Lots of sweet malty flavors present, but this beer is not overly sweet -- it is very smooth, balanced and complex. There are some other dark fruit flavors and some chocolate in the background as well. Lots of creamy vanilla. Lingering finish of bourbon and dark fruit. I cannot get over how smooth the bourbon flavors in this beer are. They are very mellow (rather than aggressive) and "palate soaking" at the same time. There is no "boozy sting" to the flavor at any point. I'm surprised so much alcohol can be so well hidden. 5/5

Mouthfeel: High-medium bodied, no carbonation. Mouthfeel is viscous, sticky and a little chewy. Finish is sweet. 4.5/5

Overall: An excellent blended beer -- probably the best blended beer that I have ever had.

Recommendation: Everyone needs to seek this one out.

Pairings: Digestif. Could go great with some buttery nuts like cashews or peanuts or almonds.

Cost: $35 for a 750 ml bottle.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

I've been on the hunt for this beer for quite some time. I can't wait. Poured from 750 to mini brandy snifter.

Pours like a fresh cup of coffee - burnt caramel body with a brief finger of light brown head that dissipates within a minute, leaving a dense and stubborn collar that laces wonderfully with oily booze legs.

The nose is massive. Very reminiscent of BB4D I think. Big, syrupy toffee and caramel, charred wood, burnt marshmallow, chocolate syrup, cocoa powder, a slight suggestion of dark ripened fruits. The alcohol is so perfectly integrated here... it provides just enough heat to off-set the syrupy sweetness.

The taste is all over the place. Without thinking too much, my first reaction is "Old Ale, of course." But upon further inspection there is much more. Leathery caramel, molasses, milk chocolate, graham cracker, syrupy sweet fruity booze. This beer holds the same complexity as a good bourbon without the imposing booze bill.

Exceedingly drinkable given the style and ABV.

A masterpiece of a beer.

2010 batch.

Melange No. 3 pours a dark opaque brown with ruby highlights. A small tan head tops it and doesn't last long, quickly receding to a crown.

The aroma is an intense and alcoholic mix of bourbon and caramel, stonefruit and vanilla, chocolate and dates. Very deep and complex. Some earthiness shines through the sweetness. As it warms the fruitiness comes out more, balancing the powerful bourbon character.

Bourbon and caramel hit the tongue first. Chocolate candies, surprisingly a lot of fruitiness too, stonefruit and dates. Molasses-like sweetness, mellow alcohol, a bit of tannic oak. While it tastes quite strong and rich, it's actually very mellow and easy to drink. It finishes semi-sweet with a leathery, bourbon-toffee aftertaste. The sheer viscosity of it is impressive, a few ounces is plenty, but I wouldn't complain if I could drink this regularly. Nice job, Bruery.

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

At the time of this review, this is the #3 beer on the "Top Beers - American Strong Ale" list. Served in a Bruery tulip because the end of the world is coming and I want to go out in style. It should be stated that this is one of my longest and most elusive wants.

Beer is brown, hazy, thin tan head of small bubbles, head breaks and pulls to the walls of the glass. A little lazy looking but it is a blend of three barrel aged beers, what was I expecting?

Here we go! BOURBON! And brown sugar, caramel and roast, mild woodiness and oak and some booze / alcohol as well. Smells like awesome.

Beer is heavy in my hand, I can feel the density and the gravity as I raise my glass to my mouth, although the beer finishes a little thin and dry the forward flavors are sweet bourbon, mild spiciness on the late palate, sweet, dry finish, lingering sense of almost corriander and citrus. Heavy throughout, nice nutty oakiness on the backend as well. About as complex as a beer can get. I love it. And I should know, I'm a certified beer server.

had on tap 11/29. 2 5oz pours

A - black with a brown head. about a finger's thick

S - bourbon, malt, vanilla. has a very sweet smell to it

T - taste is like the smell, can taste a sweetness at the end. some alcohol heat but a great taste

M - the feel is good, from the look you expect something more chewy, but its about right. there is enough carbonation.

D - it's delicious. could have kept drinking it all night if they didn't have to close!

4.67/5  rDev +7.1%

Color: Very dark in color, but there is a semi-red tint around the sides of the glass. Almost no head.
Smell: Strong sweet aroma of vanilla along with some woody oak aroma. Liquor aroma of brandy comes to mind.
Taste: Whoa! Unbelievable vanilla taste. Like a vanilla custard taste. Some oak and bourbon characteristics, which would be woody and some spice. Slight burn down the throat, but extremely mild for 15% ABV. Smooth vanilla lingers on the palate long after the last sip.
Overall: This is an unbelievable beer by The Bruery.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, if you like Black Tuesday, this beer is for you. The dark thick pour and richness from black tuesday was all evident. White oak sap and some of the anniversary beers available before 2013 were also mixed in. This sweet mix of booze is a great beer and should definitely be shared.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 Vintage

L- Dark, dark brown, basically black.

S- When I finally made my way through the wax and opened it up I was a bit concerned. It smelled hot - burnt my eyes a bit. Also a bit of toffee, bourbon, dark chocolate.

T- Wow. Right out of the fridge it was still hot. Yet smooth. Is that possible? But as it warmed the flavors really opened up. Sweet caramel and butterscotch. Delicious bourbon. Dark chocolate. Quite complex but they all play very well together. The alcohol that I got on the nose is there but tones down a ton as it warms. Really, really smooth. Sweet but not sticky sweet. A sipper for sure but very enjoyable.

O- Fantastic beer. Maybe my favorite Bruery offering so far and my first Melange No. 3. I'll be picking more of these up in the future for cellaring purposes and hoping for similar results. Just fantastic.

4.66/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is not the cheapest growler I've ever bought, but I figured this was my best shot of having Melange #3 in New York.

A - Solid ruby brown with a nice amber-red frame when placed against the light. Thin light tan head.

S - Aged oak, pipe tobacco, hazelnut, rich milk chocolate, blackberry jam, and woodsmoke. Like a campfire with s'mores and someone smoking a pipe next to you. Yeah. Like that.

T - The bourbon is subtle, mostly evident in the hazelnut and vanilla notes. The main event is a berry/plum/cherry medley with light coffee, cocoa, nougat, and a hint of lemon zest. finishes with a smokey sweetness.

M - Sticky and medium heavy. It coats your mouth anew with each sip. The alcohol stings just a bit.

O - This is one opulent SOB. I've never had Black Tuesday, but this is definitely my favorite of the Bruery beers, a perfect night ender. Reminds me of an old-world barleywine, but the flavor wallop and many different notes make it hard to classify. What it is is frigging delectable.

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

In celebration of finishing my dissertation slides, I headed down to the Bruery for a couple glasses of this wonderful brew.

Pour is very dark brown, with a one-finger tan head. A swirl of the glass indicates that it's pretty thick. Plentiful, thin spotty lacing left on the sides of the tulip glass.

Smell is quite sweet: brown sugar, toffee, caramel, and an undeniable smack of bourbon and alcohol heat. Very nice. I can definitely pull the Papier and the Black Tuesday out of this.

Taste is fantastic. It's quite sweet, which was expected, but it's not cloying. Sweet, sugary candy flavors are there in abundance, but the oak and bourbon flavors counter them admirably. Perhaps an undertone of rich melted chocolate. The sweetness I can definitely see coming from the Black Tuesday. A bit of warmth on this one too, which I attribute to the Papier.

Mouthfeel is wondrous. Spectacular. I put this on par with the best mouthfeels I have experienced with any beer. Although it is thick and viscous, it is not heavy. It has a... I don't know how else to say it... fluffiness that keeps it light on your palate despite the massiveness of the brew. I think that the White Oak Sap really shines here on the mouthfeel.

Drinkability is good, considering what this beer is. I had three 4 oz pours - if I wasn't driving, I would have had another one or two. The sweetness and booziness might slow some people down... but not me.

Highly recommended. Looking forward to this being in bottles next year.

On tap @ the Rattle n Hum 03-13-09

Wow very dark brown with a brown head that fades pretty quickly. So much going on in the smell department, definitely bourbon coming through, but not overpowering, along with almond, vanilla, coco, oak, dried fruit, some alcohol, but not much. (i probably smelt this beer 5 times before even taking a sip). 1st sip, wow so much going on roasted malts, oak and vanilla, dry finish, with a caramel coating. I could definitely feel the alcohol in the 1st sip. After drinking more the alcohol wasn't as strong and you couldn't really tell you were drinking a 15% beer. Really a nice sipping beer, would love to try more from this brewery. Glad i had the chance to try it, SEEK IT OUT

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Deep ruby red color. Very little head. No legs or lacing.

Tons of earthy, malty, agave, raisin (tons), vanilla, spice, pear, red apple, ginger, red wine, slight tartness.

Sweetness is mellowed by great boozieness. Amazingly blended. Nearly perfect in mouthfeel, but slight sharpness overtakes at the the on set. A bit raisin and green. Lots going on. Booze is forward, yet mild. Carbonation is very light and compliments nicely. Red wine barrel is nice.

Dances a smooth sweet line. Just before you see the booze the sweetness kicks in. A damn fine brew. I would love to treat this brew again. Highly recommended. Thanks for the share Bigaltemple!!

4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle shared with JLindros. Poured into a tulip and reviewed from notes.

A - Pour is almost blackish hue but its really just a super dark ruddy brown. A creamy mocha halo and nice clouding. This is 15.5%?!?!

S - WTF!!?? No booze at all with this just loads of nice chocolate and dark fruits, sweet caramel, and bourbon.

T - Lots of coconut, dark fruits, and chocolate. Barrels galore. So much delicious bourbon. Ohhh my goodness, what am I drinking?! I want more, its sooo rich and delicious.

M - Uhh...15.5%?! Bullshit! This stuff is so, so freaking good. Goes down amazingly easy. Stuff is amazingly good.

O - Overall this was phenominal. I cant believe a blending of beers can come out tasting like this. Wish this delightful beer was readily available.

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%

Sampled from a growler at The Bruery,

A: Pours a murky brown, small smattering of bubbles, really no head, not surprising though when I found out it was 15%. Looks good for a high alcohol beer.

S: Smell is just great. Beautiful aged malt, molasses, prune/raisin/dark fruit. Has the smell of fine English barleywine, outstanding.

T: Big on the malt for sure. Wheatwine is really most evident and stands out. Fermented brown sugar, hint of vanilla, caramelized dark fruit, butterrum candy.

M: Very light carbonation, very smooth, full-bodied for sure, really no alcohol.

D: If I thought Partridge in a Pear Tree held its alcohol well this is exceptional. I knew the blend of the beer so I was thinking 10%, but I found out it was 15% and was shocked. Really it drinks like a 5% beer. I hope they have this on cask at a later date, I'd really like to have it again.

4.64/5  rDev +6.4%

750ml bottle split 3 ways into tulips. Thanks to BA morningthief for splitting this with me.

Appearance: Careful pour yields a bit of an offwhite froth. Pours a dark chestnut and leaves minimal lacing.

Smell: Raisin, oak, and bourbon. Less prominent is bread and molasses. Decadent and boozy. Alcohol aromas are almost flowery like good vodka. Pastry aromas hugely elevate flavor.

Taste: Sweet and a little cidery up front, leading to giant oak and bourbon influence (caramel, vanilla). Hot aftertaste--I believe 15%. Delicious.

Like a less savory Cuir with tons of bourbon and oak. Unique and well balanced. Dark fruit, molasses, brûléed (some copy paste action there) desserts, toast, caramel and vanilla oak.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Nicely carbonated. Tingly and hot finish. Very smooth.

Overall: The Bruery kills it with beers like this. Wish I'd insisted that my friend pick up another. Excellent.

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Bruery tulip glass. Thanks Scott for trading this to me a couple years ago. I think this is a 2013. Bottle says 15%.

Pours a muddy brown opaque body with not much of a head, it's off white and reduces quickly to leave pretty much nothing but a very faint ring. Good amount of sediment. /

Aromas are outstanding.. complex.. rich.. molasses, vanilla, lots of dark fruits to the point of being reminiscent of a heavy red wine, nutty, caramel, toffee, butterscotch, bourbon, chocolate, crazy amount of complexity coming through here, letting this warm up really woke it up.

On the tongue it's equally as complex and rich.. overall its super sweet with notes upfront of molasses, brown sugar, dark fruits, caramel, vanilla, chocolate cake, lightly boozy bourbon, followed by chocolate chip cookies, char and roastyness, syrupy malt extract, finishes sweet and rich. Body is heavy with low carbonation.

This is the definition of a dessert beer.. sweet, rich, and complex, you could spend forever analyzing the flavors and nuances of Melange 3. Very nice.

4.62/5  rDev +6%

Served from tap into a Bruery sampler imperial pint glass at the Reserve Society Party. Poured a deep dark brown with a minimal tan head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, chocolate, vanilla, and maple syrup. The flavor was of sweet malt, chocolate, vanilla, and cream. It had a heavy feel on the palate with low carbonation. Overall impression... Effing wow! This brew was just plain excellent in all aspects. The flavor was more toward the sweet side without being overly sweet. The 17% ABV was NOWHERE to be found... This one is a must try without any doubt and I'm definitely glad I got to try it...

4.62/5  rDev +6%

2011, Batch 2, 15% ABV, 750ml into a tulip glass. Huge thanks to Rempo!

A - Pours a murky dark brown body with a red tinge when held up to the light. Initial pour yields a nice one finger light tan head with large bubbles. Settles down quickly to a thick edging. Decent amount of lacing for this amount of abv. Sticky alcoholic legs that last forever.

S - Big in every way. Molasses, dark caramelized fruit, bitter chocolate, leather, and huge bourbon notes of vanilla and oak. Sweet and spicy with some robust and savory notes. This beer is just all over the place, a complete diabetic complexity. Its smells so damn tasty though. I've had Cuir, and its very reminiscent of that but with more depth and a touch of stout notes. It does smell primarily like an old ale though.

T - The taste is also massive. Super syrupy malt sweetness. Caramelized dark fruit, molasses, toffee, maple, and smokey leather. Like the nose, this leans toward the anniversary beer more so than the Black Tuesday and White Oak. Bourbon barrel notes of oak and vanilla on the finish along with a huge yet pleasant alcohol burn. I get the slightest hint of chocolate and coffee on the end as well, but its all about the fruit here.

M - Thick, coating, chewy and syrupy. Medium level of carbonation. Huge booze warmth, but the thickness is really what holds back the drinkability. 15% is very well integrated though.

O - A huge beer of massive complexity. I've only had Cuir on its own and I do detect a lot of those flavors. I was hoping for some more action from the Back Tuesday or the White Oak Sap. Its still an amazing beer and accomplishment though. The Bruery can work wonders with insanely high gravity thick brews. It lived up to my expectations for sure.

4.62/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

25oz consumed on 11/27/2009 on tap at The Bruery over a couple hours. I should have had more. The color is dark brown and opaque with a big thick light brown head.

The nose has a lot of brown sugar and a distinct bourbon presence. I detect maple, and the brown sugar and maple notes pervade every aspect of the aroma. The beer is boozy but not 17% (as the sign reads) boozy. Perhaps 10% boozy? It's evident but at a level that I enjoy. Strong caramel, toffee, and vanilla notes are evident. I detect cocoa but it's hidden behind the bourbon and brown sugar sweetness. When the beer warms, the combo of bourbon, butterscotch, brown sugar, and vanilla is intoxicating. I'm a sucker for The Bruery's barrel aromas.

The taste opens with brown sugar, maple, butterscotch, and bourbon. Booze heat is powerful yet delicious. Sweetness is at an upper moderate level and oak is noticeable. The beer is quite sweet, but the robust bourbon and maple absorb it nicely. I get bourbon soaked dates. Strong brown sugary maple finish. Delicious bourbon booziness. I don't get any roasted malt out of the blend, despite previous reviews mentioning it.

The mouthfeel is robust, smooth, and sticky. Big bold and boozy. This beer is not for everyone, but it is definitely for me. This is one refreshing craft beverage.

Poured into a snifter.

Heavy handed pour yields a finger of khaki head. Dies down to a ring of foam around the edge of the glass. No lacing. Nice legs though. Almost black with caramel/ruby highlights around the edges when held to light.

Smells of rich caramel, toffee, molasses, brown sugar, and oak. Huge dark fruit notes of plumb, raisins, and figs. Hints of baker's chocolate, roast, vanilla, tannins, bourbon, and fusel alcohol. Also, some clove like spice.

Taste follows smell. Up front are huge and complex dark fruits. Dark cherry, raisins, figs, plumbs. Even a subtle dark fruity tartness. Then comes caramel, toffee, vanilla, bourbon, and brown sugar. Oaky tannins, alcohol, and spice help balance out the sweetness. Finishes on a clove/alcohol spicy note with dark fruits and residual caramelized sugars lingering.

Syrupy and full bodied with fairly smooth carbonation that is ample and breaks up the viscosity. Warming and somewhat spicy alcohol character rounds out the mouthfeel.

Hugely complex, huge in general as well, multidimensional, quite a good blend. Really interesting, unique, and tasty.

4.61/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours quite still with limited carbonation as you would expect. The color is deep and dark, basically just this side of black. The smell changes with each nose as you get some bourbon, some roast, and some fruit. This beer is basically somewhere in the old ale/barleywine spectrum with hints of the RIS. It would pair incredibly with a cigar and blow right through the smoke. So much flavor. Different with every sip from roast to fruit to toffee all with full richness and dense mouthfeel. A pleasure to drink and worth the price tag for a special occasion.

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Steingarten LA for a Bruery tap takeover. Paired with a delicous chocolate cake w/ hazlenut sauce.

A - Dark brown with no head. As it warms, it is almost the color of flat coca cola.

S - The booze is at the forefront. Heavy burbon smell but sweet raisins come through as well

T - The barrel aging is very apparent in this but very drinkable considering the abv. The burbon is delicious, but does not overpower the complexity. Very sweet. Strong toffee in the front that moves into light chocolate and raisins.

M- Medium to full mouthfeel. Appropriate for the flavors. Good carbonation is present. This is important to me as I am not the biggest barleywine fan. Thick and a little syrupy.

O - Ive been wating to try this for awhile and having it makes me more excited for my bottles of BT. Delicious and sweet, excellent paired with dessert. It exceeded my expectation and I look forward to having it again.

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%

2011 bottle

Appearance. Pours a murky deep brown with a little rust and a thin, light tan head.

Smell. Wow! Big sweet bourbon, some caramel candy, a little bit of coffee, molasses and chocolate. Smells pretty awesome.

Taste. Oh man. Sweet bourbon and chocolate. Just a ton of both!! Some nice caramel and toffee with a little creamy sweet coffee and toasted wood. Fucking incredible.

Mouthfeel. Full body, but not in any way thick or syrupy. Does that even make sense? Lets say it defys the laws of physics. Medium carbonation.

Overall. Good lord, this is just packed with flavour. All good stuff too. Wishing I hadn't traded away my other bottle now!!

Edit: I can't believe I drank that whole thing myself. Yikes. I'll be enlising some help the next time I crack something like this...

4.59/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: 750 mL bottle covered in red wax. Poured into a Cigar City tulip glass after being chilled for half an hour. Huge thanks to sugit for this long time want.

Appearance: Dark brown in color, although it can appear almost black in color at times. Medium brown on the edges. A one finger beige head that recedes rapidly into a pretty nice lacing. The head is really light in color compared to the body.

Aroma: Really big bourbon barrel character takes center stage. There's also strong caramel, vanilla, oak, and dark fruits. The alcohol is strong, but the sweetness definitely tones it down very well. Does a really nice job of combining the best notes of a barrel aged stout and an english barleywine.

Taste: Unapologeticly sweet and barrel forward. Really big notes of caramel, molasses, vanilla and bourbon. Despite the slight burn of the alcohol, this is really easy to drink and goes down smooth. This is really tasty. Light milk chocolate, figs, and more dark fruits add complexity and complement the barrel tones.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and adequately carbonated for the style. Definitely some warming tones on the way down.

Overall, an insanely tasty blend of beers that surpasses the individual components. This is incredibly easy to drink for the ABV and really tasty to boot. I would definitely classify this as a hugely sweet, barrel aged strong ale. This was a huge want of mine for a while and it completely surpassed my expectations. I will be seeking this out again in the future.

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery