Melange No. 3 | The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

Added by Floydster on 02-14-2009

#233

Ratings: 1,898 |  Reviews: 272
3.16/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.66/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thin, boozy, nearly flat. Thankfully, I can now pass over any future releases from The Bruery.

4.27/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.41/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev -13.2%

Pour from the bottle I get a lot more wheat wine that stout. I'm a bit disappointed just going in. However once in the snifter I'm getting a rather dark color, more a light porter than 16% stout but things are looking up.

On the nose I get a stout like malt (chocolate, caramel, roasted notes) with some oak and barrel notes. vanilla, oak, and a lot of subtle notes are coming through.

BOOZE!!!!! Wow this is hot! Chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla, burnt malt, roasted malt, slight sour notes (green apples?), so much going on here. Brown sugar and raisin as well.

Bruery really makes acidic barrel aged stouts. This is something that I seem to be getting more sedative to as I get older which is a shame. That said very very oaky a lot of chocolate and raisins with some vanilla notes. From the acidity I get a lot of acidic fruit notes (think more like apples than say an orange). Really complex beer but the oak bitterness dominate most of the taste with a lot of acidic fruits.

The mouth feel despite the acid and booze is actually pretty good. It's rich and full. I would like it to be a bit more creamy, but the wheat wine addition likely was not ideal. I really wish this had a few years on it...maybe 5 even.

This is a nice change of pace for us barrel lovers. I can't put it up there next to the best of the best, but this is a worthy offering. Wish the price weren't 30, but what can you expect from these guys?

4.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 version tasted at the Bruery on 2/1/17 -- unfortunately I didn't notice if it was off the tap or a bottle pour. In the past, I've been underwhelmed my this melange, but tended to have it fresh, and have been asked several times if I've had it with a few years of age on it. And now I know why. It's a totally different beer. The palate is a wonderfully smooth blend of of dark fruit and barrel flavors, almost too much to describe, but beautifully integrated in a way, frankly, that I rarely find Bruery beers to be. I have bottles from 2011-2013 and have been staring at them wondering why I had them, but now I can't wait to pop them. Buy, but be patient before opening.

4.71/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +2%

4.32/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Vintage 2012, so almost 5 years old at this point....and I'm in awe at how well this held up.

First of all....for all intents and purposes, this is a barrel aged English Barleywine. And an excellent one at that.

Smells of oaky bourbon, dried fruit, brown sugar, baked spiced apples. Taste is smooth for 15% ABV, pleasantly sweet, with strong balancing alcohol heat. Reminds me of banoffee pie. I could see this aging gracefully, easily beyond its current 4+ years. For essentially a Bruery shelfy... I'm quite impressed. Highly recommended.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.37/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured (in the blind-I didn't know what I was about to drink) into a tulip glass. Slight carbonation w ruddy brown look, slight head. Once poured the nose picks up the bourbon and fruit (cherry) and spices. It gives a sense of a barley wine. Bourbon, pepper greet the palate with with very slight sweetness; it falls off leaving a subtle spice feel that gently lingers.

4.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery