Melange No. 3 | The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

Added by Floydster on 02-14-2009

Ratings: 1,874 |  Reviews: 269

4.34/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - 3.75 - In all honest the muddy brown appearance is a little wierd, but it does have a nice initial tan head, which on the other hand dissipates pretty quick
S - 4.75 - Reminds me mostly of a great English barleywine. Caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, oak barrels, coconut, fig newtons, plums, apricots, raisins.
T - 4.25 - Definitely the better of the two Melange beers I've tried so far (1 and 3), caramel, figs, maple syrup, vanilla, toasted coconut, brown sugar, sweet booze, but not quite to the smoothness I'd want to see from an oak aged beer. Also, I'm disappointed in these beers that are blended with Black Tuesday. I think they're using a TINY percentage of Black Tuesday, and just putting the name on there for marketing.
M - 4.25 - Alc present but appropriate @ 16.8%, aftertaste is syrupy, caramel and vanilla. Mouthfeel is medium, syrupy, sticky.
O - 4.25 - Not as good as I'd expect with a 98 rating. I'm going to save 2/3's of this bottle and blend it with a nice robust imperial stout. I think that'll give me more of the flavor I'd want in a big beer like this, especially one that leads you on to think it's going to have flavors from the Black Tuesday in there (which it doesn't).

3.75/5  rDev -14%

3.84/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery