Melange No. 3 | The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

Added by Floydster on 02-14-2009

Ratings: 1,872 |  Reviews: 269

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

pretty wild beer here, their version of a black and tan, what a gas! the color is red and caramel mixed together, very thick like sludge, dense, minimal but lasting light brown head. I smell everything, no joke. rich malts, darker grains than the color shows, aggressive sugars, whiskey barrel, vanilla, clove, rye malt, booze, and molasses. what I don't smell or taste in this, is yeast. it is mysteriously absent from the flavor profile, not that this beer is hurting for complexity, this is a hell of a blend. dried fruit and sugar, as well as the best richest elements of black Tuesday are what I taste here. its oaky and rich, almost too much really, but the booze is not that obvious for something so high. this goes way beyond beer to something else entirely, more of a barleywine than anything, just so much happening, and such a heavy buzz from even small quantities of this. good carbonation for the size, and about all the body you can pack in. this is not my favorite beer from the bruery, but it is yet another example of their expertise in all aspects of beer making. a blend like no other, worth trying for lovers of huge brews and the bruery more generally.

3.2/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2011 Release, Sampled March 2012
A soft pour into my small tulip glass produces a fat-two-finger thick, pale brown tinged, dirty tan colored head. The ber is a concentrated brown / amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, cranberry-ruby hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells quite alcoholic, but has lots of other notes as well, but that is certainly prominent. Notes of vanillin, toasted coconut, Sherry, lots of nut like notes, toasted caramel, sweet caramelized brown bread. The sherry character is actually quite striking, both the alcohol, the rich, sweet nutty notes and the oxidized malt contribute to this really smelling quite a bit like sherry. This definitely smells like desert in a glass.

As expected, from the nose, this beer is quite sweet; the sweetness seems a touch simplistic / sugary as opposed to really rich, concentrated malt like in character, by which I mean there seems to be a fair amount of residual, simple sugars left in this beer. The body is certainly viscous, but actually somehow seems light for a beer of this strength; much of the, perceived, lightness is likely contributed by the amply noticeable, warming and even hot, alcohol notes that play a prominent role in the flavor. Ample flavors of sweet coconut, vanillin, sugar coated / toasted nuts, sweet sherry, amaretto, and perhaps a touch of brandy like fruit character are noticeable. Woody oak, with a touch of astringency and some spiciness comes into and lingers through the finish; the alcohol also lends to the spiciness and heat in the finish. There is a definite fruitiness here as well, it is sort of evocative of prune juice, perhaps a touch of fig and raisin as well. Other flavors of maple syrup, toasted oak, brown sugar syrup, touches of roasted bitterness in the finish, and a toasted, brown bread note add some character.

This is definitely a HOT beer, at this alcohol level that is not unexpected, but I can’t say that I necessarily appreciate that either. The sweetness is also a bit too simplistic in this beer; I would have been more appreciative if the malt character was less simple sugar focused and had more of a dense, almost savory, concentrated malt character. Interestingly enough, given how hot this beer is, I don’t get as much Bourbon character as I was expecting; more of the vanillin, spicy oak, and toasted oak come out individually rather than reminiscent of actual Bourbon. Not a bad beer if you are only having a couple ounces as a nightcap, but anything more for me is just a bit underwhelming (not complex enough in flavor) and overwhelming (in the hot alcohol and sugary sweetness) at the same time. I must say that I really like the oxidized malt character / sherry notes that are on display here (is this the anniversary old ale contribution), it really adds an extra dimension that keeps me much more interested than I otherwise would be. Drinkable and even enjoyable in small amounts if I am not critically evaluating the beer. Before cracking this beer, I had not reallized how strong it was going to be, I wish I had, as I would have planned to use the rest of the beer for cooking of some sort; I could imagine this being used quite well in a “rum” cake recipe, or even a dense fruit cake would likely be a perfect use (just make sure to reduce the level of sugar called out for in the recipe to account). I am planning on this already with the bottle of Black Tuesday that I am opening; in fact I am almost more excited about the Imperial chocolate stout cake that I am going to make than actually drinking the beer :-).

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery