Melange No. 3 | The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

Added by Floydster on 02-14-2009

Ratings: 1,874 |  Reviews: 269
4.02/5  rDev -7.8%

750 ml waxed, vintage 2011
Served into a tulip glass

A: Medium to dark brown with ruby hues throughout the body. A vigorous pour yields a thick bubbly light beige head. Some lacing is left behind but the head settles out into a thin ring around the edges.

S: Huge sweet caramel, toffee, rich malts, cocoa and touches of really sweet whiskey dance around the back. This is one big smelling beer, tons of complexity which is expected from a blend of this kind.

T: Like the nose, big sweet caramel and bourbon notes come through first. Toffee, Werther's Original candy, milk chocolate and some oak break through. This is over the top in its sweetness however, a signature trait I've come to expect from The Bruery.

M: Carbonation is kept right where it should be, not over the top or underdone. Feels sticky and viscous on the palate.

This was certainly a nice treat to open but it was very big, rich and sweet. A little too much in that aspect for me but a good beer as a whole.

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Holy heck, this thing is good. I had a 2oz sample at the Boulder Strong Ale fest...then another...then another...then another.
A black pour, thick brown head. Good lacing, some parts were sticky, some not.
Aroma was full of goodies. Cocoa, caramel, toffee, some toasted bread, roasty malt. Thought I got hints of banana, but not sure.
Taste is great too. Follows the nose, very complex but not 'in yo face'. Smooth movement between the toffe/cocoa to dark fruits and toast.
Feel is great. Feels velvety but not as 'thick'..kind of like a powder that dissolves quickly and softly.
A really good beer. Alcohol (I have 15% version) is well hidden.

4.21/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2011 Vintage poured in to Bruery tulip.

A - Poured dark brown and settled black with a thin layer of cream coloured head that immediately disappeared.

S - Big barrel notes come through first - bourbon, charred oak and vanilla. Chocolate fudge and dark caramel are also present from the base beers.

T - Sweet bourbon, charred oak and vanilla dominate as the barrel notes come to the forefront. Chocolate fudge, dark caramel and molasses flavours come through as well as lighter dark fruit flavours. The Black Tuesday seems to dominate this a little too much.

M - Medium body. Almost no carbonation.

4.82/5  rDev +10.6%

On-tap at The Bruery is this, a three thread beer with 30 proof. Yummy goodiness is calling my name. On to the beer:

The beer is charcoal black with creamy caramel colored edges. Trickles of thin lacing stick to the glass, and a paper-thin sheet of retention remains over the liquid. The flavors found in this beer make me think this is 30 proof, but the medium-heavy, un-viscous body and hidden booze scream no way. This is like Bourbon County Stout with much of the boozy feeling bitchslapped out of it. Out come the barrel, chocolate, caramel, vanilla, whiskey, burnt sugar, and a mild, well-controlled cinnamon-hot alcohol. Very drinkable and approachable.

Just when you think Pat and the crew can't further diversify their portfolio of beers, they do it again. And once again, quality is not an issue. This might be my new favorite Bruery beer, and instantly one of my all-around favorites. Well, until Melange No. 4 is conceived.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

The color is a very dark mahoghany, almost like black.

The aroma has tons of deep sweet caramel, bourbon, vanilla, almond, dark fruit, plum, and some woody oak.

The flavor follows with a punch of sweet juicy plum, raisin, prune, almost like a candy. Then there’s vanilla, caramel, oak, bourbon. It’s almost like biting into a caramel plum candy that just explodes with deep rich sweet flavors.

The mouthfeel is extremely rich and creamy. It’s almost like oil with how huge and thick the body is. There’s a slight booze on the back end, which makes sense for this beer.

For me, it’s mostly the Papier that comes through, as it’s much like an old ale with its molasses, bourbon, vanilla, oak, caramel. I don’t really get the stout characters of Black Tuesday, although I’ve never had either.

This is clearly one of the best beers I’ve ever had. Up there with the huge amazing bourbon barrel aged stouts. I love this beer.

2.96/5  rDev -32.1%

Thanks to SaucerSam for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a medium to dark brown color with some red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is extremely sweet. I get a ton of brown sugar and molasses notes, as well as some wood, maple and vanilla. Unfortunately the flavor is just as sweet as the aroma. I get a lot of dark fruit and oak, as well as some brown sugar. I get some maple notes as well. I know Black Tuesday is a part of the blend but I get no roasted malt or chocolate notes. Very boozy. Thick, syrupy mouthfeel and low carbonation. I am very glad I got to try this one, but it was way too sweet and messy for my liking. Still, definitely a unique brew.

4.46/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.88/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Another gem from the finewinemike tasting event.

The beer pours an amber brown color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this beer comes across as very sweet and boozy (what a surprise), and I seemed to pick up some of the component parts of black tuesday and barleywine. In any event, I picked up considerable sweet cherry, vanilla and underlying chocolate. This beer was very sweet and rich on the palate, as the flavor profile replicated the nose, but with more intensity than expected (and I was expecting a full flavored beer). I also seemed to pick up some brown sugar, cherry cough drops and light coffee. The alcohol is very noticeable in this boozy beer (given the abv., that's hardly a surprise), and while the beer wasn't hot on the finish, the combination of sweetness and huge alcohol tended to wear out the palate after a while. Mouthfeel was full with a very long, very smooth, rich, sweet finish.

This beer was delicious, albeit quite warming, and there' no doubt that a little bit goes a long way in this beer.

3.2/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

2011 Release, Sampled March 2012
A soft pour into my small tulip glass produces a fat-two-finger thick, pale brown tinged, dirty tan colored head. The ber is a concentrated brown / amber color that shows a brilliantly clear, cranberry-ruby hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells quite alcoholic, but has lots of other notes as well, but that is certainly prominent. Notes of vanillin, toasted coconut, Sherry, lots of nut like notes, toasted caramel, sweet caramelized brown bread. The sherry character is actually quite striking, both the alcohol, the rich, sweet nutty notes and the oxidized malt contribute to this really smelling quite a bit like sherry. This definitely smells like desert in a glass.

As expected, from the nose, this beer is quite sweet; the sweetness seems a touch simplistic / sugary as opposed to really rich, concentrated malt like in character, by which I mean there seems to be a fair amount of residual, simple sugars left in this beer. The body is certainly viscous, but actually somehow seems light for a beer of this strength; much of the, perceived, lightness is likely contributed by the amply noticeable, warming and even hot, alcohol notes that play a prominent role in the flavor. Ample flavors of sweet coconut, vanillin, sugar coated / toasted nuts, sweet sherry, amaretto, and perhaps a touch of brandy like fruit character are noticeable. Woody oak, with a touch of astringency and some spiciness comes into and lingers through the finish; the alcohol also lends to the spiciness and heat in the finish. There is a definite fruitiness here as well, it is sort of evocative of prune juice, perhaps a touch of fig and raisin as well. Other flavors of maple syrup, toasted oak, brown sugar syrup, touches of roasted bitterness in the finish, and a toasted, brown bread note add some character.

This is definitely a HOT beer, at this alcohol level that is not unexpected, but I can’t say that I necessarily appreciate that either. The sweetness is also a bit too simplistic in this beer; I would have been more appreciative if the malt character was less simple sugar focused and had more of a dense, almost savory, concentrated malt character. Interestingly enough, given how hot this beer is, I don’t get as much Bourbon character as I was expecting; more of the vanillin, spicy oak, and toasted oak come out individually rather than reminiscent of actual Bourbon. Not a bad beer if you are only having a couple ounces as a nightcap, but anything more for me is just a bit underwhelming (not complex enough in flavor) and overwhelming (in the hot alcohol and sugary sweetness) at the same time. I must say that I really like the oxidized malt character / sherry notes that are on display here (is this the anniversary old ale contribution), it really adds an extra dimension that keeps me much more interested than I otherwise would be. Drinkable and even enjoyable in small amounts if I am not critically evaluating the beer. Before cracking this beer, I had not reallized how strong it was going to be, I wish I had, as I would have planned to use the rest of the beer for cooking of some sort; I could imagine this being used quite well in a “rum” cake recipe, or even a dense fruit cake would likely be a perfect use (just make sure to reduce the level of sugar called out for in the recipe to account). I am planning on this already with the bottle of Black Tuesday that I am opening; in fact I am almost more excited about the Imperial chocolate stout cake that I am going to make than actually drinking the beer :-).

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Brown sugar, caramel, cinnamon, vanilla, boozy sweetness. Almost a jammy quality. People say this is too sweet, but I think the alcohol cuts through and balances it, then again, I don't mind sweetness. For such a big beer it doesn't feel sticky. No alcohol burn. think I preferred Fruet to this, but barely.

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery