Melange No. 3 | The Bruery

Melange No. 3Melange No. 3

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of Black Tuesday, anniversary ale, and White Oak Sap.

Added by Floydster on 02-14-2009

Reviews: 258 | Ratings: 1,820
4.7/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review number 10 apparently..this deserves all the hype it has received!

Incredible beer. Beautiful notes of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, molasses and caramelized sugar. The flavor follows suit and is incredibly complex and balanced. Dark fruits. Rich, but easy to drink. The wheatwine part of the blend seems to really soften the body and mellow this rich, strong beer. Way too easy to drink for 15%. You can taste the alcohol, but it integrates very well with everything else that is going on.

One of the best beers I've had for a while. Highly recommended.

4.37/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml waxed bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a murky brown with a nice white head that fades to a ring and leaves no real lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is definitely Black Tuesday with huge notes of vanilla, molasses, chocolate syrup, brown sugar, and bourbon but there are also different aromas in there like graham cracker and a touch of citrus.

T: The taste is very interesting with the main components being BT but I can definitely pick up the White Oak and Anniversary ales in there as well. Nice notes of vanilla, molasses, brown sugar, bourbon, citrus, and a slight tangy rye like flavor.

M: The feel is on the thinner side of medium with a nice slick finish that lasts on the palate for a long time.

O: Another beautiful beer from The Bruery. The blend really gets all the best aromas and flavors from the base beers. Mouthfeel suffers a bit but that's a small complaint.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

On-tap at The Bruery. 8 oz. allotment into my tulip glass.

A: Melange No. 3 is a dark chestnut color, nearly opaque if viewed from a distance, but up close the color of a dark brown sugar. Creamy tan head looks nice, leaves little lacing (not unimpressive for 15% ABV).

S: Bourbon, brown sugar, candy, hints of dark fruit.

T: Quite along the nose. Delicious brown sugar and bourbon melted together. Swirls of dark fruits, vanilla, and oak. The three base beers in this blend mix together expertly. The bourbon and brown sugar are intense but perfect--unbelievably smooth--never cloying or harsh. Masterful.

M: Heavy body and silky smooth, not quite chewy. Low carbonation appropriate for the flavors.

D: Taste is simply amazing and drinkability is equally magnificent. 15% ABV goes down smoother than than many beers with half the ABV, but there is no need to down it quickly with such rich flavors. The worst part about this beer is that it is likely I will never taste this again. The best beer I have tasted yet from The Bruery, and on par with any world class barrel aged blend. Epic.

4.97/5  rDev +14.3%

Shared by Huhzubendah.. Thanks Matt!

Pours a dark amber with a one finger cocoa head. Great lacing on my snifter. Nose is butterscotch, caramel, toffee, Vanilla, burned toast. Taste is the same profile... Super smooth, with an incredible taste to it. Feel is perfect. Where's the alcohol? Overall, a really amazing brew with a slight alcohol burn. This is a strong beer, and very stealthy alcohol-wise. I literally fell asleep for 30 minutes after enjoying this brew.... Not for the faint of heart. Cheers!

4.77/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at the 2nd annaversary party.

Pours a cloudy brown. Light head. Little lacing.

Aroma of bourbon, cocoa, brown sugar toasted sugars.

Tastes awesome. Just as it smells. Sweet but nice. I'm about to get another taste.

Mouthfeel is great. Light carb. Not too thick.

Overall an awesome brew. Can't wait to get some bottles

4.75/5  rDev +9.2%

Consumed on 3/20/12. 2011 version served in a HF tulip at just shy of 55 degrees. Thanks Cory.

A - Dark brown with a head that rises over an inch, then fades into thick off-white lacing. Beautiful.

S - Somewhat complex. Dark malts, molasses, oak, caramel-like bourbon notes. The caramel and vanilla really come out when you dig in there a bit. There is some sweetness evident, maybe more than I'd like. However, I'm liking this a lot.

T - First two sips were a little sweet upfront, but was too interesting to put down. Sweetness from the wheatwine upfront mixed with the spices from the strong ale (Coton this time around?). This transitions so smoothly into the middle/finish. Maybe a little bit of raisin in there. The Black Tuesday begins in the middle, yet really shines in the finish with those chocolate, oak, caramel notes shining through. Slightest clearing of the nose, but no real burn. Some vanilla lingers with the slightest dryness of the oak. Great transition and development of flavors. Do I love this? I think so?

M - Somewhat thick with enough carbonation to make it drinkable. I honestly couldn't ask for a better feel for this style. Thick, yet drinkable.

O - I'm really having a tough time giving this beer anything short of a 5. I had a long day at work, I've been looking forward to this one for quite some time, it is my b-day and I haven't eaten dinner. All of those combined probably give me a skewed perspective, so I'll hold off on the 5 until I get an additional opportunity to sit down with another bottle.

Consumed on 3/26/12. 2010 vintage. Not sure where I got this, but thanks to whomever provided. Poured at cellar temp into a HF tulip.

A - Pours dark brown with a medium head, mostly comprised of bubbles instead of foam. This leads to eventual lacing. Looks nice with the thick legs after the bubbles go away. 4.0.

S - Getting some sweet notes, some spices and then some caramel coming through quite strong. There is a hint of vanilla, but mostly caramel. Smells more like a sweet old ale than anything else. 4.0.

T - A sweet beginning suddenly clears the nostrils. I knew I should have held off for another year. Some spices come through, bits of a brown sugar, raisin and then some caramel and vanilla kick in. The vanilla, again, is subtle. Caramel and heat in the finish. As the flavor develops, more dryness is evident int he finish. 4.0

M - A lot like the '11, but maybe a tad thinner. 4.5.

O - Not as good as the '11 at this point. Hotter, not quite as smooth. Still a very nice beer.

4.3/5  rDev -1.1%

Review #3, cellar temp, served in tulip

A : Not quite black, some reddish hues, reminds me of root beer, minimal off-white head, lacing was minimal, nice legs though.

S : Oak, vanilla, caramel, touch of cocoa and I swear I get hints of anise from somewhere

T : Dark fruits, black cherries, hints of chocolate, vanilla & toffee. Sweetness hits mid-palate as does some bourbon, finishes a bit syrupy but not unpleasantly so.

M : Smooth, bold, a bit lighter than I expected honestly

O : I like this, more than I thought I would as I am not the biggest Black Tuesday fan (non-09 anyway!), oak was a bit more forward than I prefer and once it warmed became a touch cloying. Glad I have more, looking forward to it already.

4.42/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle 15,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled and split between an over sized wine glass and a snifter.
No bottle date

Thanks to futura123 for this bottle.

Appearance: Melange #3 appears a very deep brown in the glass, with a backlight showing deep red highlights and bright golden edges. A rough pour yields a good sized beige coloured head that lasts well for the abv, but does not leave much in the way of lacing.

Smell: Mmmm, this smells fantastic – the nose is absolutely massive and incredibly decadent. The initial nose offers tons of bourbon, dark caramel, vanilla, oak and butterscotch. As the nose opens up a big dark fruit character (cherries, bourbon soaked raisins, figs and dates) becomes apparent, alongside brown sugar, a toasted character, a touch of chocolate, a leathery note, some liquorice, a touch of tobacco, and a lightly spiced note (reminiscent of Christmas cake batter). There is a little alcohol noted, but it is gently warming and not harsh or unpleasant.

Taste: Wow, this is quite a lot sweeter than I expected and strangely seems sweeter than all of its components! Don’t get me wrong, I love massive sweet beers, but I have a feeling it might get a little much since I have the whole bottle to my self. Flavour notes include: Sweet dark caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, butterscotch, some oak, bourbon soaked raisins, cherries, figs, molasses, dark treacle, some toasted notes and a little chocolate. As with most beers from the Bruery, there is far less alcohol noted than you would expect.

Mouthfeel: The body is just about bang on for the style – full, fairly sticky and with a distinct sugary feel. The carbonation is however not quite as good. The medium level is a little high for me and it could be a little smoother.

Overall: As I suspected, the sweetness became a little much as I approached the end of the bottle. That said, Melange #3 is still a fantastic beer and would be perfect split with a friend. I have not had White Oak Sap, however I can’t say that I noted much wheatwine character and I would guess that the Anniversary ale and Black Tuesday make up a much higher proportion of this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +1.1%

I was fortunate to be in Irvine visiting the in-laws for Thanksgiving when learning that Melange 3 was on tap yesterday at the Bruery. At $4/5 oz pour, this wasn't cheap. But it's quite good. Pours very dark brown with ample carbonation levels. Smells and tastes extremely sweet - brown sugar, vanilla, bourbon, fruits, and alcohol. As expected, the body is quite thick. There's plenty of carbonation to prevent this from coming off as syrupy. Really good stuff - I had 3 glasses of it - but it was tough to finish that third glass given the high ABV and sugar level. So not the most drinkable of brews in my opinion. But it's really good in small doses.

4.5/5  rDev +3.4%

2011 bottle with just over a year of age on it.

A - Deep brown body, barely an off white head.

S - Oak, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, toffee. Sweet.

T - Bourbon, vanilla, toffee, chocolate, very sweet. Can definitely pick up on elements of both black tuesday and their anniversary beers.

M - Medium mouthfeel, low carbonation, very smooth.

Very good. Was surprised at how much I enjoyed this. Not sure if it is greater than the sum of it's parts, but it's pretty close.

3.93/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Pours a deep deep brown. when just sitting it is pitch black but there was a little bit of light able to get through. Faint carbonation during the pour that rises about an inch but then quickly falls. No lacing but there is a ring that sits nicely atop the beer.

S: Very sweet with loads of raisin and prune notes. Some woodiness and a boatload of vanilla. Brown sugar and molasses notes.

T: The initial flavor is of sweet molasses and caramel followed by dark fruits. The white oak aspect is definitely noticable and actually a bit more present than most other flavors. The bourbon is there but not super strong but there is a little bit present in the finish

M: A little bit goes a long way with this one. The tiniest of sips unleashes a world of flavors. It is boozy but that is more likely from the barrel again and not from fusol alcohol. A little more creaminess would have been a nice touch

D: a very slow sipper that is quite enjoyable but huge. I dont think it would be wise to even have as much as i am enjoying right now but i would love to try this again and think that this would be definitely be better on tap

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks to a generous BA for this one!

Pours a dark brown with a ruby red hue. Thin off-white film across the top. Light lacing. This beer has some decent legs to it as well.

Toffee, caramel and dark fruits rise up from the glass. Touch of alcohol heat. Figs and caramelized apples. Quite sweet. Lots of vanilla and a little bit of oakiness. Great nose.

Sweet cherries, figs and grapes dance across the tongue. Caramel with bready malt. Almost has some Trappist-like qualities to it. Vanilla and a touch of spice, possibly cinnamon. Bittersweet dark chocolate and some alcohol round out the finish. Good mixture of dark fruit, vanilla and spice.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with a touch of spice. Carbonation is spot on for the style. Nice warming alcohol. Somewhat chewy, but not too thick.

This is surprisingly drinkable for the ABV. Definitely a sipper, but a quick one. The flavor, aroma and mouthfeel are all great. This is a finely crafted brew and one of the best stong ales I have ever had. A perfect brew to sip on next to the fire on a cold winter's night. I'm really excited to see how the other bottle ages. Nice work Patrick!

4.47/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Deep mahogany, syrupy wine-like consistency, nice legs. Some fizz at first, but the carbonation is quite light. Looks like a nice liqueur.

S: Leathery spice, vanilla, cherry, toffee, deep caramel, fig, coconut. Very fruity, reminds me a little of egg nog! Delicious.

T: Sweet fruitiness up front, tons of barrel character and spice. No booze flavor but highly warming. Awesome.

M: The Bruery has a talent for producing gigantic beers that aren't cloying or too thick. This smells, looks and tastes like a fine liqueur.

A very delicious blend. I'd put this on par with Black Tuesday.

4.2/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to MrKenendy for sharing. Reviewed from notes.

Deep mahogany with a beige head of modest retention. Falls to a collar.

Initial balsamic pungency gives way to stewed fruit, toffee apples, cherries, muscatels, raisins.

Flavours are wayyy richer and sweeter. Redskins, stewed plums blackcurrant and caramel fudge.

Syrupy, rich and decadent, but not overly big for the ABV. Light carbonation. All told, it's quite drinkable.

Big but balanced. The high sweetness is offset by the barrel complexity, making it a pleasure to drink.

4.57/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Bruery

Presentation: Poured a hazy dark mahogany with very little head or lacing. Very viscous.
Smell: Definitely bourbon - with cocoa, vanilla, toffee, some dark fruit. Really complex.
Taste: Follow the nose with a lot of complexity - cocoa, roasted coffee, sweet caramel, raisins, some toffee, some dark fruit. A little boozy, but not much considering the ABV. Finishes with a bit of oakiness.
Mouthfeelj: Medium body - lighter than expected. Moderate carbonation. Very creamy texture. Surprisingly little alcohol burn.

Overall: Really, really good. Lots of complexity and intensity. It's a huge beer.

4.76/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Melange No. 3... a brewery only selection I am lucky to be enjoying thanks to a very good friend of mine. A mixture of Black Tuesday, Anniversary Ale and White Oak Sap, weighing in at 15.5%- this one will make it truly a night to remember! In the glass, this concoction is a deep garnet, yet still manages to let some light through. A tan ring encircles the glass. Very alluring indeed.

The aroma is an intoxicating hodgepodge of earthy sweetness... Vanilla, bourbon, molasses, oak barrel, leather, coffee, cinnamon & spices, milk chocolate, and bold malts. It's simply incredible. As the flavors blissfully overwhelm my palate, I am nearly at a loss for words. This is one godlike beverage! It begins with a juicy, syrupy sweetness, before the warm, roasty, and strong alcohol waves envelop the taste buds. Everything previously mentioned aspect somehow balances out... It's a minor miracle. The Bruery says this a black and tan... what a joke. Black and Tan for your last wish on this earth perhaps! It doesn't *feel* heavy, but as soon as it goes down I'm left with a sensation that says, boy was that strong! It feels so silky and velvety in the mouth though!

Overall, I would recommend this for anyone who loves barrel aged beer, sweet, or strong ales. Very unique blend of astounding components. Loving life right now, Happy New Year 2014!

3.44/5  rDev -20.9%

I had this one yesterday 12/9/11 on tap at The Bruery. They only serve you six ounces due to the ABV.

A: Dark brown; cola color.

S: Strong oak smell; maple syrup and you definitely smell the alcohol at 15.5 %.

T: You get a strong oak taste up front and then the sweetness hits your palate. To me it seems the beer has many flavors but I couldn't seem to separate them on my palate; I just got sweet and syrupy and maybe a bit of vanilla. One thing I will say is that the alcohol is hidden well here.

M: A nice full mouthful; somewhat thick and syrup-like.

O: I was disappointed overall on this one with all the great reviews this one got. By no means does it not taste good I guess I just wasn't into the style of this one. For me the oak flavors took center stage and didn't allow any of the other flavors to come through. I didn't feel like I was drinking a beer it was more like a dessert wine in a way. For the price you pay for this one I don't know if I would revisit it.

4.66/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is not the cheapest growler I've ever bought, but I figured this was my best shot of having Melange #3 in New York.

A - Solid ruby brown with a nice amber-red frame when placed against the light. Thin light tan head.

S - Aged oak, pipe tobacco, hazelnut, rich milk chocolate, blackberry jam, and woodsmoke. Like a campfire with s'mores and someone smoking a pipe next to you. Yeah. Like that.

T - The bourbon is subtle, mostly evident in the hazelnut and vanilla notes. The main event is a berry/plum/cherry medley with light coffee, cocoa, nougat, and a hint of lemon zest. finishes with a smokey sweetness.

M - Sticky and medium heavy. It coats your mouth anew with each sip. The alcohol stings just a bit.

O - This is one opulent SOB. I've never had Black Tuesday, but this is definitely my favorite of the Bruery beers, a perfect night ender. Reminds me of an old-world barleywine, but the flavor wallop and many different notes make it hard to classify. What it is is frigging delectable.

4.84/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at The Bruery. From notes.

A - slightly murky dark ruby brown color. Low tan head with high retention. Lots of lacing.

S - boozy bourbon. Dark malts with a little toffee. Raisins and alcohol.

F/M - caramel and toffee and dark fruity raisins. Big alcohol flavor with a touch of bourbon. Vanilla and prunes. Low bitterness. Full bodied with decent carbonation. Nice lingering aftertaste of dark fruits and bourbon.

D - exceptionally good for such a huge beer. The clean alcohol and well-balanced flavors make this an easy drinker for being such a big bold beer.

4.59/5  rDev +5.5%

Batch 2, 2011. 750ml served in snifter glass at cellar temp.

A: Pours deep brown with red highlights. Tan head that quickly fades to a thin skin around the edges of the glass. Little lacing left behind.

S: Lots of sweetness: vanilla, toffee, maple, caramelized sugar, candied dark fruit. Also bourbon/oak.

T: More bourbon and oak in the taste than in the smell. Still lots of sweetness and dark fruit. Also some leather, coffee and toasted malts. Boozy, warm finish. Very good, but also very sweet. A bit boozy, but in a good way. And considering the 15% avb, the booze is actually hidden very well.

M: Medium-full body that is syrupy & sticky. Medium-low carbonation.

O: Great beer! It's heavy and really sweet, so I'd definitely recommended it as a beer to share with several people.

4.55/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured in to a Bruery tulip. Still trying 'new' Bruery offerings to dictate my level of 'engagement' in RS this year. Thanks to cduckett16 for this in a trade.

A - the beer pours a murky deep brown in color; there are some lighter brown hints around the edges within the very quickly dissipating head; lacing is virtually non-existent

S - up-front, the beer smells like a bourbon-raisin punch to the nose; I get all the vanilla, "rich caramel" and oak that the label suggests I should; I also get some sugar cookie and general alcohol notes; the barrel aging aromas are prevalent

T - bourbon-soaked raisins; I recently had Fruet for the first time and feel like that is much sweeter than Melange; I get candied dark fruits and that sugar cookie flavor again; there are caramel, brown sugar, figs, toffee, and a hint of cherry in here; take all of those wonderful flavor notes and swirl them in to a vat of bourbon

M - this beer certainly provides that sticky sweetness I expected, but it's not at all syrupy, at least not to me; there is extremely little in the way of carbonation in the bubbly form, but I think the carbonation comes through in the overall mouthfeel experience; somehow, it's present without seeming so...like the fizz is there but concealed in all the complex flavor notes; the heat is noticeable but not overpowering

O - I'm glad I've already ordered up four of these bottles through RS; this is a really good and complex blend of what I anticipate to be three amazing Bruery beers...I've only had the White Oak. I'm sitting on a BT and Papier can't be too bad; that said, I wish the sweetness in Melange 3 shone through like it did with Fruet...hopefully that one is blended in to another Melange offering. Great sipping beer with numerous flavors present and a great balance of beer infusions.

4.33/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to Rempo for this long (really long) time want! Opened this up tonight to celebrate my first cycling race and the completion of my goal to not be DFL (Dead F'in last) in the race...
Melange is not black, rather deep, deep brown, with dark red auburn highlights. A decent off tan/light tan head sits atop the ale, it actually never fades completely from sight. Smells strongly of alcohol, hot alcohol, but barrel too, caramel, toffee, lots of vanilla and chocolate. Coconut too! Really fine smelling beer as I love bourbon bombs. The taste too is great, toasted marshmellow, caramalized brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate, yes bourbon too. You do get a touch of alcohol in the flavor. Thick and heavy mouthfeel, almost oily and slightly cloying....though what would you expect? Super tasty ale here.

4.67/5  rDev +7.4%

Color: Very dark in color, but there is a semi-red tint around the sides of the glass. Almost no head.
Smell: Strong sweet aroma of vanilla along with some woody oak aroma. Liquor aroma of brandy comes to mind.
Taste: Whoa! Unbelievable vanilla taste. Like a vanilla custard taste. Some oak and bourbon characteristics, which would be woody and some spice. Slight burn down the throat, but extremely mild for 15% ABV. Smooth vanilla lingers on the palate long after the last sip.
Overall: This is an unbelievable beer by The Bruery.

3.51/5  rDev -19.3%

Dark maroon color. Smelled mostly like Black Tuesday. Sweet, syrupy, bourbon and heat from the alcohol. Some toasted coconut and vanillin.

Taste had figs, dates, glazed raisins all rolled into one with a splash of high gravity sweet wort. Tangy wheat flavor and chocolate dipped oranges. Raisins in the finish. Very hot and very sweet. I suppose BT could not hide the heat in Papier. The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected.

Interesting but hard to drink that much of.

4.32/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap @ Brasserie Jo during the CBC. Served in a snifter.

Pours a dark brown with a tan head... which is fairly thin. Not the most attractive of beers... but who really cares?

Smells of chocolate, raisins, toffee and a fuckload of heat! Having Black Tuesday prior... I can pick out that particular sweet aroma. Getting past the booze, this smells darn nice!

So much burn in this. Dark fruit, toffee and rum cake. Again, this is a touch hot... but I'm still grading it a 4.5 because it's incredibly complex. This is great now, but may be amazing in about 20 years.

Full body with a splendid mouthfeel... but that 17% destroys any drinkability. Looking forward to the bottle version.

Melange No. 3 from The Bruery