Love Belgian Beer?

PapierPapier

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: Old Ale

Papier is our first anniversary ale, loosely brewed in the English-style Old Ale tradition using our house Belgian yeast strain. The traditional first anniversary gift is something made of paper. The Bruery is giving their loyal fans the gift of Papier, their first anniversary ale. Layered with complex flavors of dark fruit,vanilla, oak, and burnt sugar, Papier is a robust ale, surely the perfect beer to mark our first big milestone. Best for sharing, this beer is ideal for cellaring until you have a celebration of your own…if you can wait.

Added by Halcyondays on 05-16-2009

Reviews: 107 | Ratings: 222

We opened this beer for my 22nd b-day!"Which is today" It's number 1915..

A- Pours a nice dark brown with no head at all.

S- Smells like a caramel apple that was fermented.

T- Taste is very similar to the smell. Tastes like apple cider that was spiked ! Very delicious indeed and Very sweet and satisfying!

M- Mouth feel is very smooth .. Has absolutely no carbonation at all.

D- Drinkability is good but we would definitely recommend aging this beer for a few years.. the alcohol is soo overwhelming that you can't enjoy all the flavors that this beer has to offer.

4.89/5  rDev +21.9%

I had bottle #3755/4777, corked and waxed, at the Gingerman in Manhattan, split with a friend. This was the first time I've found the beer, and it was waaaay better than expected. It poured dark reddish brown with no head, just a few random bubbles on the surface. The aroma was really impressive, damn near perfect. It smelled more like a port wine than anything else, just so good that I couldn't stop from sniffing. Rich and redolent, dark fruits and caramel, absolutely delicious smell and taste. Holy crap but this is in the top tier of all beers I've tried, the real deal. Lots of sweetness in the taste, plums and raisins, and also the light burn of alcohol but not too much to really hurt the drinkability. The body is thick but it fits the flavors well. Very little carbonation but again this fits the overall style, at least it felt right. A very impressive beer that I was glad to find, worth the $25 at a fine bar.

4.87/5  rDev +21.4%

A- A magnificent crystal clear ruby with a very very small amount of white head that has goldfish eye-sized bubbles in the midst of a tight foam.

S- Splash of bourbon, fig, caramel, spice and all sorts of running complexions that are too strong to pick apart one by one...

T-Plum, strong warming alcohol, vanilla, and creme brule`!!

M- firm, yet silky smooth, with a spicy dry finish.

D- I want this to be served with my last meal if i ever get thrown on death row. Its very heavy but bearable. I love heavy beer like this.

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

A - dark cola brown (lighter than expected) that fades to a dark amber around the edges. Pours with little to no carbonation, I choose to tack this up to stylistic choice - and a good one given the flavor.

S - dark fruits (prunes, dates, apricots, dare I say persimmons), alcohol in general and bourbon in particular. Wow. I'm impressed

T - Lives up to the smell. Very strong and robust dark fruits and bourbon, but accompanied by a light buttery, caramel flavor. Cocoa nibs and coffee round out the deliciousness. Again, very impressed yet again by the Bruery.

M - Heavy but fits the flavor. Too much carbonation would detriment the perception of the amazing complexity of the flavor. Flows, doesn't bubble, across the palette.

D - Not a session beer, but not intended to be. Would be excellent with a nice German chocolate cake...I think I'm in love!

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

750ml bottle #1998/4777 poured into tulip shape glasses:

A: Little to no head, just a lace of vanilla around the rim on top of a dark maple body, with a vibrant rosy tint to it. Absolutely looks delicious.

S: Port wine, maple syrup, brown sugar, and toffee. Then the alcohol pulls through a little bit, just to be covered up again by the overall sweetness of this beer.

T: Dark fruit on the front of the palate, with the alcohol definitely making itself known. (Although that is expected do to the high ABV.) Then comes a rush of sweet maple syrup, caramel apple dipped in hazelnuts, vanilla, oak, with banana bread on the side. Really a nice treat for the taste buds.

M: Thick like maple syrup with very little carbonation. The alcohol gives a perfect sensation/warming throughout your mouth, and then into the chest. This beer makes dreams come true.... not really sure what that means, but I think were starting to feel the effects of this wonderfully complex masterpiece.

D: We could share at least two of these bottles, definitely a sipper, but still goes down extremely well, and a lot easier than we thought it would.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

4.57/5  rDev +14%

A - a dark rich mahogany, almost no head, juts a thin ring of lace around the rim

S - oomph, big dark fruits, raisins, plums, prunes, dates; some dark molasses and even some hints of bourbon

T - wow, dark ripe fruits, like cherries or strawberries, rich butery sweets as well, toffee, vanilla, and caramel, the bourbon notes are still present as well

M&D - complex, thick, syrupy, heavy bodied, a supreme Old Ale. layers and layers of flavor, super smooth and in addition a well hid 14.5% well done Bruery

4.54/5  rDev +13.2%

Bottle 2042 of 4777 shared with some friends on 8/22. from notes.

Pours a brownish color with ruby highlights and streaks of tan. No head forms, but bubbles are abundant and struggle to form the slightest film.

Aroma is really mindblowing. It took me a while to figure out everything that was going on here. Raisins, dates, cherries, roasted nuts, vanilla sweetness, caramel and bourbon soaked fruits. Toasted malts and yeast esters. Toffee and chocolates... a toblerone bar. If I had to describe it in one word... 'decadent' might be appropriate... or would it be 'rich'? And yes, of course there is some alcohol apparent, but that is ok, right?

Taste follows the aroma but with less complexity due to an unbalanced initial sweetness. After the first few sips, it isn't hard to detect the similar complexity in the flavor as is apparent in the aroma. Alcohol is apparent and warming, low carbonation works well with the flavor profile here.

Mouthfeel is not what I would expect at all for a beer of this ABV. It was nice and creamy, coating. Drinkability is great for its ABV, but having said that, I wouldn't be eager to split this bottle any less than 4 ways. Alcohol becomes more and more overwhelming as the glass gets closer to room temp, but in the grand scheme of things, this is really an amazing beer. Can't wait to see how much better this gets over time.

4.52/5  rDev +12.7%

Reviewed from notes. Beer was about a year old when consumed. Thanks to bmanning for pulling this out.

Pours a nice caramel tan color with a slight head that dissipates somewhat quickly. Fairly impressive that it was there for as long as it was. The nose brings forward a bit of booze, dark sugars, caramel, nice fruits, and some toffee. The taste really integrates everything quite well--the booze is there but there is some nice sweetness and great fruit notes in addition to some toffee. Medium feel with really nice warmth. A very nice beer that is aging quite well.

4.49/5  rDev +12%

Bottle # 3770 into red wine glass.

Pours a beautiful deep mahogany color, fading from dark ruby brown in the center to a honey brown around the edges - may be the perfect color. On the flipside, however, there's no head to speak of on the pour - just a smattering of big bubbles, almost like a cask ale. Fantastic legs though - once you take a sip, a thin film of it clings tenaciously to sides of the glass.

Nose is full of maple, candied dried fruits wrapped in caramel, brown sugar - so much going on, and all of it delicious. Alcohol in back, but incredibly delicious and rich as it melds with the other flavors with no real heat.

Taste is very nice, and superbly balanced at this stage. Initial taste is molasses, more dried fruit though this time without the candied aspect, brown sugar and toffee, and vanilla and quite a bit of oak from the bourbon. This really feels old - there's an almost leathery tannic woodiness towards the finish that balances the rich, sweetness beautifully. The alcohol isn't nearly as hot as I was expecting, instead contributing a light, pleasant burn on the swallow - very well done. I'm very impressed.

Really no carbonation, but with a mouthfeel that's full bodied, robust, and a bit slick. I have to admit, I was worried about the lack of carbonation, but even with nary a bubble in sight, this one still manages to pull it off. The complexities of texture you get from the body are reminiscent of a big red wine.

Drinkabaility is stunningly high. Delicious and satisfying, with a complexity that has you coming back sip after sip and an abv that's hidden extremely well. I do not understand how teh Bruery can consistently produce ultra-high abv beers that never feel overly hot and boozey. Superbly satisfying beer.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Thrilled to get to pop open this black wax capped 750 last night. I seriously needed this one after a mentally trying evening. Served at cellar temp into a snifter, this one was consumed on 10/06/2009.

The pour was what I had heard about so I expected the flatness and stillness of it. Dark garnet brown in color with only a small amount of bubbles on the side of the glass that quickly faded themselves leaving a motionless and still liquid in the glass. As I sipped though it did leave some nice touches of foam down the sides of the glass so that made me happy. Aroma is very sweet, lots of vanilla and butterscotch on the nose right away. Caramel and other sweet notes dropping in behind a touch of vanilla. Very well put together I have to admit. Warming brings out a subtleness that is just sublime I have to admit. I go in for the for the first sip and a wave of toffee and butterscotch coat the tongue, again just what I am looking for here and really very nicely done. Rich notes of vanilla and caramel, earthy with a fine touch of woody flavor as well. Seemingly endlessly complex a light booziness now starts to take over. Not flat at all, just very lightly carbonated and this actually really worked quite well for me here. ABV well hidden despite the high strength and this only served to further the delightful experience.

Overall this was just what I had wanted. A finally crafter old ale that really just hit the spot. I am continued to be impressed with everything I try from the Bruery. Top notch for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a deep woody brown with a thin tan head.

Nose has rich candies, whiskey, oak, vanilla, fruity alcohol and lots of dark brown sugars.

Taste has sweet malts, toffee, caramel, bourbon, wood, vanilla, spicy alcohol and ripe fruits.

Full body is lightly carbonated, but drinks quite well for 14 plus. Another great ale from the Bruery. I'm sure the 100% barrel aged versions are near perfect.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Even with an aggressive pour there is NO head here. Deep ruby/amber color. Light shimmers through the beer and casts a deep red shadow below the glass. No lacing at all.

Aroma is fantastic. Cherries, vanilla, slight alcohol, dark fruits.

This is a very nice beer. Lots going on. Cherry again, brown sugar, vanilla, lots of fruity esters. Warming effect of alcohol at the end. There is a wonderful depth to the flavors that makes this just one to enjoy over time. The beer keeps opening up and you get more of a sense of the wood aging.

Smooth and silky. Almost no carbonation. At the risk of getting myself in trouble this reminds me of Angel Share... And again, I have no complaints

I'll sit with this bottle all night. A slow sipper, but one that's very enjoyable. Really well done here.

4.42/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a dark brown with a smooth tan head. Nose is complex and inviting. Sweet whiskey hits you first and yields to sweet fruit, molasses, vanilla and hints of sweet cherry.

Mouthfeel is big and full although some age will make it a bit "thicker." A bit thinner than one might expect but, again, age will improve this characteristic.

Flavors follow the nose with dark cooked fruit, plums and figs, brown sugar/malt and full of whiskey tones. Big, full bodied and expressive flavors with a full rich finish. This is going to be superb with some age. One can only imagine the rarer barrell aged versions which I will open as part of a tasting...a tasting soon since I'm one who likely won't be able to wait!

This is a brew worth trying now and very much worth following for as long as you can discipline yourself to hold some bottles. This is clearly one of the best quality beers from The Bruery.

4.41/5  rDev +10%

Opened up at a recent tasting. Super dark, little carbonation. Many "damn"s and "holy s***"s could be heard as we sniffed the mercifully small portions in our tasting glasses. Tons of whiskey, vanilla, burnt caramel, butterscotch.

Taste features big woody vanilla along with chocolate, caramel, coffee, and big booze (how could it not). Lot of whiskey. All of these flavors seem so concentrated, too. Some sweetness, but really nowhere near as sweet as I thought it might be. Feel is thick and syrupy, but look at what you're drinking - this is one of those beers you could probably pour over your pancakes.

Drinkability gets thrown out the window. The desire to drink a whole bottle is there, yet I don't think I have the physical capability to do so. I'm thankful I have a couple bottles of this, but they will be brought out only when I can share them with interested parties. Definitely one for sharing.

4.37/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml shared at our mega Bruery tasting courtesy of viggo, bottle 1499. Thanks!

Pours a rusty brandy caramel color, some murk especially at the bottom of the bottle and a few loose bubbles on the pour, not a ton of carbonation.

Nose is sweet and fruity, loads of plump juicy raisins, plums and other ripe fruit, toffee and caramel.

Sweet bready toffee, fruit bread, bourbon soaked raisins, caramel, candy sugar, vanilla, real sweet but offset in the finish with a light bitterness that never seems to let the sweetness get out of hand - like Black Tuesday in that regards. Somehow all that sweetness never seems too much. Soft silky mouthfeel though I felt it wouldn't hurt to have just a touch more carbonation. Light alcohol burn on the way down but it hides the ABV so well, again like Black Tuesday.

Not sure how the Bruery does it but this is another top notch, high ABV beer that is a real sipper yet never a chore. Reminded us a bit of a younger JW Lee's but more put together, more integrated. Not sure I would go for a whole bottle but as a share it was a real treat. Bot drinkable in the "I would down a couple of these in an evening" but for what it is, very drinkable. Would cellar very well IMO.

4.36/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Couldn't wait until later to try this beer, cracked a bottle as soon as we got it in. Disclaimer: the way BA scales the points, this beer will be scoring a lot lower from people than if appearance were lower on the chart, with more on taste.

Pours jet black. Like to me, it looks like if you melted down pure anise black licorice, and swirled it around, this is what you get. Ominous, spooky onyx black, like it wants to devour you instead of the other way around. But the biggest flaw is that it is very very low in carbonation. A thin layer of bubbles from an aggressive pour. Almost like a huge thick port in this regard. Thick and murky, but not very lifelike.

The smell off this beer is simply outstanding. I think this might be the only 5 for smell I've given thus far. Bourbon is the prevalent smell, with a good deal of dark fruit mingling with leathery tobacco, caramel, toffee, some vanilla/licorice coming through also. Hugely complex nose for a beer just as complex. Other people describe burnt sugar, there's a bit of that, but I don't get that as much in the nose as the taste.

The taste is just supermassive and supercomplex. I can still feel it on my taste buds. Dark, harsh burnt malts, but in a sweet way, like that crossed with plums or dates soaked in bourbon. Sweet and harsh at the same time, with a big helping of smokey tobacco from the oaking (I don't smoke, but I'd imagine this is why people like expensive cigars). I'm glad this blend is only 25% bourbon barrel, as any more would be way overpowering. Right now, it's got a bit of a harsh bite to it on top of the other deep roasted characteristics, but that is more of an alcoholic, boozey but warming bite. Like a high-end scotch or bourbon. It tingles, is the best way to put it. All of these things leave a slightly burnt but sweet, while tingly sensation on my tongue. I could still feel it after I went to bed. I tried to take the bottle myself, but regretfully fell a few ounces short, less than the difference between a 22 and a 750, though. Keep in mind, it took 2.5 or 3 hours to get to that point. This would do quite well shared, and everyone taking a few ounces. Split it 3 ways, $7 for an 8 ounce poor isn't too bad for what you get. It is absolutely sludgy and massive, sweet and harsh at the same time, like bittersweet burnt vanilla or butterscotch. Overwhelming and extremely satisfying simultaneously. It loses a lot for drinkability because of what it is, but for what it is, it is not too bad. My only other Old Ale, for the sake of comparison, was Founders Curmudgeon, and that was undrinkable for me. But this is a great experience, quite a trip fresh, and I will definitely be burying some bottles for a few years down the road. Given a few years to open up some, it will be legendary.

4.36/5  rDev +8.7%

2009 anniversary. Poured a dark cola color with negligible head and little lacing. The smell is a wonderful intense rich caramel, cinnamon, vanilla butterscotch. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is full bodied smooth and velvety creamy. All of the aspects of the nose are represented full in the bold rich flavors. The 14.5% ABV will get you there. I'm definitely going to seek this one out again

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to bman1113vr for sharing this bottle.

Bottle No. 1,377 of 4,777. The beer pours a dark brown color with a tan head. The aroma is dark fruit, oak, vanilla, chocolate and alcohol. The flavor is caramel, toffee, oak, vanilla and bourbon. The alcohol is very well hidden for a beer that has nearly 15 percent alcohol. This is one of the most drinkable high alcohol beers I have tried. Low carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Served colder than bottle recommended into non-beer ware (on vacation at a condo).

Low carbonation and no significant head, although there was a little lacing as you drank. Dark copper mahogany with hints of black. Rich smell with vanilla, bourbon, caramel, and possibly some maple. Taste is excellent with much of the same from the smell (vanilla, dark caramel and toffee, some darker fruits) but it is strong with a slight hint of alcohol bite, could probably have used a little more cellaring (2009 bottling)... glad I've got 2 more to lay down for a while.

Would be hard pressed to drink more than a full bottle by myself but it is an excellent sipper and great to share.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Got to try this one thanks to some good friends:

A: Very dark with a nice gold tint around the edges. No head at all.

S: Intense boozy scent. Might even be a little more than you expect for a 14.5%. Hints of dark fruit scent.

T: Very boozy with hints of caramel and dark fruits. The booze definitely overpowers a little, but not in a bad way. I like the boozy taste of this.

M: Slight carbonation and very sticky.

D: Goes down a little tougher because of the booziness. Still very good and gets you feeling good.

All in all this is a great beer to have on a special occasion where you don't need to drive later on. As long as you like the hard liquor taste in your beer, this one will definitely impress.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

Nice to try this stuff, and a lovely looking bottle too. I think this bottle was viggo's, so thanks Eric!

Pours an oaken brown with a off-white collar and a slight film. A couple of lace spots, but not much in the way of retention, which is what I expect from the style. Smell is what old ales are all about - rich, full and tempting. There's lots of raisins married to toffee, and there's a great bready base holding it together.

Taste lives up to the nose. Caramel drenched raisins, some vanilla, wood, nuts and sweet bread. A lot of brown sugar makes this one sweet, but its fairly well-balanced by a decent bitterness. Alcohol is nicely hidden. Full, chewy mouthfeel with low carbonation adds to the richness, and suits the style well.

This is a stellar old ale, and I'm really pleased I got to try it. Meag-impressed that the Bruery can make such strong stuff so drinkable. Sweetness would limit the size of my pour, but this is great in small doses.

4.31/5  rDev +7.5%

Got this one from HopStoopid120, cheers Tony!

Bottle 3589 pours a semi-murky chestnut with a sliver of mocha colored head. Nice viscosity to this along with some shreds of head retention

S: Prunes, raisins, cherries & oaky booze, loads of port notes

T: Dark fruit, woodyness, cherries, a touch licorice schnapps & much dryness up front, some leafy hops & figs in the mix. Chocolate covered cherries, boozey figs & dryness dominate as this warms. Finishes with much oak, a little cherry, a bit more booze, & just a bit too much dryness to give 4.5, close

MF: Chewy as all get out, fairly still carbonation, pretty warming indeed

Drinks a touch slow, but spot-on for style & ABV. Maybe I should've waited, would love try this in about 4 months when the weather should be at least 35 degrees cooler; but curiosity & my sweet tooth was calling. Not bad, but I'd love to have a case or 2 of this & just see how it gets better. Not bad at all for its young age as it is...

4.29/5  rDev +7%

It's pretty clear to me that this is what an Old Ale should be. A lot of complexity that derives from not-so-pretty starting elements but evolve to become rich in its maturity, varying in its age, and beautiful in its art.

The beer decants with a rusty mohogany, ruby haze, and garnet hues. Very, very low carbonation is a testiment to long term storage but does render the beer somewhat lifeless. Though carbonation, head formation, and retention are terse (to say the least), the beer shows classic brandy lacing on the glass, thus changing my mindset to expectations of port wines or liquors.

Extremely rich and bursting with flavors. The evidence of this is noticed in the heavy alcohol, fruit, and rubustness of the nose. Plumbs, figs, dates, raisons, bruised apples, grapes, cherries, prunes, and raspberries all come to life along with a rich rum-soaked fruitcake complexity, sweetness, and heartiness. Soy sauce and sherry notes give rise to the maturity of the beer and add even another layer to the unwaivering variety- virtually a new flavor with every sip. Throw in a hint of cocoa here, a dash of dustiness there, and a sprinkle of spicy cinnamon and nutmeg all about and we have a beery song that will rival the hokey pokey.

With all the flavor and smooth textures, it's easy to dismiss the low carbonation- the beer is just that good. Still, rich and lightly velvety with an unforgettable warmth and numbing to the mouth. Substantial bitterness seems part hops and part astringency from grain. Finishes with a long sweet linger of dehydrated fruits and sherry.

As wonderful and powerul as this beer is, the lack of carbonation leaves a pause mid way through that seems a bit void of vibrancy and life- maybe a bit of carbonation would help out here to help the beer making a transition from initial flavor to the long lasting aftertaste.

Thanks jlindros!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml black waxed bottle #4277 of 4777. Poured into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew appears a very dark brown with a khaki head that is comprised of very large bubbles. As the cap fades, it leaves spotty lace on the glass. Visually, this appears to be lacking carbonation.

Aroma is chocolate...like, lots of it then a hint of raisony alcohol and leather. Some caramel, molasses and a hint of oak. Yesterday I opened a bottle of Coton and the day before that a bottle of Cuir, both of them showcased deep layerings of oxidation. I get zero oxidative character in the nose of this bottle of Papier which is interesting considering this is the oldest of the 3 beers mentioned.

Taste has just as much dry, roasty chocolate flavor as the nose leads on. Then raisony alcohol and a firm herbal bitterness that lasts with an oily cling. There is plenty of malt character left tasting of caramel and almost a burnt molasses with enough residual sweetness to combat both the alcohol and bitterness. Only once the brew gets warm do I start to notice some mild oxidative quality but honestly, I am shocked at how little is present in comparison to Cuir and Coton.

This is medium to fuller bodied with light carbonation which I feel is fitting for this big sipper. For being 7 years old, I think its fantastic and holding up much better than some people claim, perhaps thats bottle variation and storage conditions playing into others experiences. For me, this is great and it tastes better than many of the others in the anniversary series.

4.29/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

- 4 oz. pour from 750mL bottle into tasting snifter
- Bruery Tasting Room on 19-Dec-14

Nice dark toasty and roasty aroma. No bubbles. Plum sweetness. One of the better smelling brews I've smelled in a while. No carbo, but like a refined port with no booze whatsoever. Overall real nice, but would've preferred a bit more carbo and thicker body. I'm gonna say this one peaked.

Papier from The Bruery