White Oak | The Bruery

White OakWhite Oak

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Wheatwine

White Oak is a blended beer-- 50% wheatwine aged in Bourbon barrels (we call it "White Oak Sap"), and 50% Mischief (our Golden Strong Ale). Vivid caramel, coconut and vanilla flavors blanketed in a crisp yet robust wheat ale, White Oak is an exercise of balance.

Added by OlieIPA on 07-12-2009

Ratings: 1,316 |  Reviews: 304
3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

3.27/5  rDev -17%

Poured from the bottle into a Boulevard tulip.

Appearance: For a blended beer, it's pretty solid. Orange and blond hues, with a delightfully resilient head. Very cloudy, likely the combination of the aged wheatwine (White Oak Sap) and the bottle conditioning. Not a bad example at all, and fits the style, but far too average.

Smell: Actually some oddly tart notes pretty quickly. I dig it myself, and it fits the flavors I was expecting, but I figured the bourbon barrel would be more noticeable. Instead it falls into the background notes, complementing a nice wheat malt and some caramel notes. The tartness is surprising but I dig it.

Taste: What a strange combination of bourbon, tartness, and traditional belgian strong ale. The wheat doesn't impact the flavor as much as I expected, and it's a bit too sweet to my liking. Perhaps some more time aging would help the flavors blend a bit further, but it seems to be stretching for too much. Makes me wonder more about how White Oak Sap would taste than the beer I'm drinking.

Mouthfeel: Nicely lasting, with alcohol heat and vanilla sweetness primarily. A bit thin while drinking but the lingering makes up for it. A big beer without a big impact.

Overall: Not my cup of tea, but seeing as I'm not a big belgian fan, I think I'd prefer the original wheat wine instead of this blend with Mischief. Interesting, and oddly refreshing for such a big beer, but won't be buying it again.

3.96/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Pours a light amber color with a fair amount of white bubbly head. A thin layer retains, leaving a fair amount of lacing.

S: Strong fuit notes with a background of bourbon, malt, and wheat. There's a touch of sweet burning campfire wood.

T: Bright fruit, sweet bready grain, leading into a malty and relatively dry finish, with a touch of citrus.

M: Full body, medium carbonation.

Overall, this is quite good, though quite strong.

White Oak from The Bruery