Black Tuesday

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Black TuesdayBlack Tuesday
Notes: Our infamous Black Tuesday is an imperial stout aged in bourbon barrels for over a year. Rich caramel, toasted malt, vanilla, burnt wood and anise are just a few of the many flavors in this rich, decadent imperial stout.

2009: 19.5% ABV
2017: 19.5% ABV
Reviews: 737 | Ratings: 4,090
4.26/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2018 bottle thanks to the generosity of @2beerdogs, opened in honour of my Opa Jan.

Pour is actually thinner/lighter than I'd expected, though once it gathers in the glass it does gain some more of that menace. But ultimately it's closer to a cola/dark syrup/dark chestnut brown than it is a molasses black. Not much head at all: nothing more than a drifting of bubbles around the edge. No lacing to speak of.

Nose brings less alcohol heat than I'd feared. Sweet bourbon vanilla and oak. Some caramel. Honestly just not as strong as I'd expected overall. More pleasant and mellow and sweet.

Flavour again belies the behemoth that lurks in these waters. 19.2% on the label, but I could be convinced of significantly less than that. Maybe not half, but closer to that than actuality. While I do get some heat, especially as I work my way through the glass, the prominent flavours are more the rest of the barrel, much like the nose. Vanilla, oak, caramel, maybe a hint of sweet sweet chocolate, maybe riesen-like toffee... This is decadent and rich without really being luxuriant.

Smoothe and while it's thin (unsurprising given the alcohol and that), it is not conspicuously so. Again, this is a masterclass in taking an overbearing characteristic and folding it in to subtly be simply a presence. That may sound like damning with faint praise, but I absolutely do not mean it as such. Dangerously easy to drink for the near-liqeuer level abv.
Thank you Derek for supplying me with this delicious inebriant!

4.53/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours slick black with a thin mocha colored head settles quickly to a thin ring.

Aroma - Bourbon dark fruit, chocolate and vanilla.

Taste - Lots of chocolate, bourbon soaked raisins, oak and vanilla.

Feel - Surprisingly smooth lots of heat and burn from the alcohol but pretty easy drinking

Overall - Big boozy stout slick really tasty and easy drinking.

4.02/5  rDev -12.4%

L: More dark brown than the expected blackness, and head is paltry thin with little retention. Some lacing.

S: Rich bourbon and vanilla. Notes of dates and marshmallow, still a touch muted, less than rich, and underwhelming.

T: Again with figgy bourbon flavors and sweet malt, definite soy sauce and booze still a bit rough after aging this one 3.5 years! Cherry tartness. Drenched in syrupy sweetness.

F: It’s a big beer so some heat is expected still and the carbonation is decent, but it is quite thinner than expected.

O: Aged 3.5 years to be drinkable still starts hot when chilled, nice tartness but a bit boozy and sweet! So many better big stouts. Not up to this hype.

4.43/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2016 release consumed 5.1.18. Amazing express of the style. Drinks soft and smooth for 20% abv. More like an old ale look but drinks like a stout. Heavy booze and chocolate.

4.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Huge beer! 2014 version. Pours jet black with minimal head. Aroma is lots of raisin and dates, caramel and bourbon. Hides ridiculous high abv very well. Only a slight hint of booziness. Lots of dark fruits, caramel, molasses, almost a little cherry, cocoa. Awesome, complex huge beer.

4.59/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2017 bottle.
Pours dark brown/black with a thin tan head on a heavy pour.
Smells of bourbon, roasty, chocolate, vanilla.
Taste is roasty malt, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla.
Full bodied, good carb level.
Overall an excellent one that I'm glad I finally got to try. Alcohol was present but not like I would expect in a near 20%ABV beer.

4.62/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours an inky black with glimmers of brown cola, scant head but surprising carbonation. Aroma is bursting with dark cacao supported by bourbon caramel, espresso, oak & anise.

Not surprisingly, the barrel characteristics really dominate the palate - tons of boozey caramel & vanilla upfront, some fudge bark & burnt chocolate after that. On the backend there is definitely a sharp anise / black licorice flavor that helps counter some of that sweetness. Finishes with more bourbon heat & bitter anise.

Thought it was a little bit thin, and a tad too hot on the booze (but I mean, for a 19% beer whadda ya expect?) but I liked that it wasn’t just a sweet bomb and had some earthier notes.

Had a glass at Bruery Terreaux last night.

Look: pitch black
Smell: coffee, bourbon, some maple
Taste: sweet, not a super strong alcohol burn.
Feel: full of body, not thin

I've recently tried some Founders CBS (shared a 750 bottle) and KBS (12 oz bottle). Both are great, but Black Tuesday has got more complexity.

4.55/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Black as tar. Dark roasted chocolate and nuts. Doesn’t drink like 19%. Love the aftertaste and it feels coating and smooth. Abv does not allow for lacing at all.

4.31/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

03/2014 - 2011 vintage - Wow, this is boozy but amazing! Bourbon, wood, caramel nose; velvety, hot, chocolate, oak all over mouthfeel; lasting finish. It's intense but yum!

4.96/5  rDev +8.1%

Good lord what an experience! Look is cola with some alcohol legs. Not the best looking Impy Stout by a long shot. But look is by far the least important attribute, and at nearly 20%, it wasn’t going to look like beer anyways. Nose is world-class! Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, coconut, prunes, tobacco, leather, malts. Possibly the best beer I’ve ever smelled. The taste follows the complexity of the nose with a huge alcohol punch. Mouthfeel is velvety with a mild prickly carbonation. Overall a word class beer that might benefit from the ABV being dialed down just a tad. Worth seeking out for sure!

4.89/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Opened a bottle today that I obtained direct from brewery last Dec. It has been stored at 36F most of the time. I had a taste of another bottle in December, and it immediately reminded me of BCBS, but with some difference in character. It had a more pronounced dark fruit flavor. After 8 months of cold storage, I finally tried my bottle, and it immediately grabbed me with its strong, mellow flavors, and its similarity to BCBS. I now find it better than BCBS, as it seems to have stronger flavors. Beautiful dark, sweet flavors of raisins and plums, along with strong bourbon and barrel flavors, plus a good dose of alcohol. Label says it "contains alcohol". No kidding.

Tastes very much of alcohol, perhaps too much for some people, but I like it in small amounts. Takes 3 days of dedicated effort to finish a bottle. I'm about half way through this one after 2 days. Seems to last quite well with fridge storage after opening, no doubt due to high ABV. There is little carbonation to begin with, and no perceptible change in flavor profile after a couple days of bottle being opened.

Really tremendous stuff, and I'll have to see about getting some more.

3.99/5  rDev -13.1%

Well, lets just do it. Pouring a 2016 bottle from a 750 ml. into a tulip glass. This beer poured surprisingly lighter in color than most of similar style. It had medium brown highlights throughout the whole pour. Forms in the glass dark, but even still with highlights around all edges. It formed a very thin and incomplete crown that was light tan in color. The smell is hot and boozy with big dark fruit notes like raisins, plums and figs. The taste comes in with those dark fruit notes again but now providing some cherry like element as well. It is definitely warm, but less than would ever be expected from a 40 proof bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. Finishes with that warmness mixing with some nice chocolate notes. Honestly though, I'm a little let down on the amount of flavor being delivered. Overall, this wasn't bad but I've definitely had better from the Bruery. I will give them the achievement of making a 40 proof stout that is drinkable as hell and the ABV that hidden tho.

3.49/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on 10/05/17. Poured into a small snifter.

Overrated. A “depth charge” of a beer. When are folks going to learn moderation?

Poor head. Thin mouthfeel. Vanilla, caramel, oak and roasted malts are al there but totally overwhelmed by bourbon.

4.51/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours black with a finger of khaki foam. Small pour (8oz glass), so easily more head formation with a 12oz or larger pour. Aroma is roasted, toasted, and caramel malts with a swell of bourbon behind. Plum, toffee, and molasses give it a little extra boost. Aroma mellows as the beer warms, providing a kaleidoscope of dark stout flavors, with the alcohol receding into the background. Flavor profile is roasted, toasted, and caramel malts quickly followed by toffee, molasses, and bourbon. There is a boozy, heavy burn at the back fresh out of the fridge, but as it warms the bourbon turns to more of a warm liquid, as opposed to a molten express delivery of alcohol. The dense flavor profile covers up the near 20% ABV well, but the booze still peeks through, even after aging for a little over a year. Mouth feel is thick with a velvety, grainy texture. Overall, a hearty, boozy stout with a huge ABV. It remains well balanced all things considered, but the ABV still peaks through.

Served in a 8oz Black Tuesday glass from a 750mL bottle. 2016 bottle reviewed in 2018.

4.29/5  rDev -6.5%

2013 vintage. Enjoyed with two friends on the shores of Loch Duich near the small Scottish town of Shiel Bridge before embarking on a backpacking trip across the nation.

Surprisingly pale black body given the ABV. Aromas and flavors are almost like that of a barrel aged barleywine or a chocolate liqueur: lots of molasses, dark fruits, dark chocolate, and bourbon. Feel is a little limp, but otherwise good.

86/100

3.95/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle poured into Bruery tulip. Received both in a BIF from 2beerdogs, thanks!
Thought I should start with the OG before moving on to the days of the week variants. Drank at recommended temperature of 55 (give or take). The pour is somewhat disappointing. Brown and cola like, 3/4" of large bubbles that just fizzed away very quickly. Just about thought this was infected. Thankfully it is not. From my first whiff I get anise, some roast, a ton of bourbon, figs and just a hint of chocolate. Moving on to the taste. First sip was all the raisins. Going back for more produced just a bunch of heat, whiskey, burnt caramel. I'm getting some root beer, Hershey's syrup on the back end, and definitely coconut and marshmallow from the wood. I've tasted old ales and barleywines that have these flavors but without this heat. If I had regular access to this I'd let it sit for a year or two. The booze is strong on this one.
Now to the most disappointing component...for a beer to be this big, I needed a thick, velvet coating of the mouth aspect. Black Tuesday does not have it. And that's going to bring my rating down by a lot.
My overall impressions-Everyone should try this beer. It has cult status in my opinion. I'm very glad to have tried it. Fresh out of the gate, it's too hot to enjoy, it needs time to rest. Since I did open it fresh, it's unique, hot and complex. I enjoyed it over the course of a few hours letting new flavors develop as it warmed.

4.61/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Hot and sticky. Needs to sit several years to let the booze calm down. One of these bottles to the dome will put you down for the count. Wish they made these in smaller portions.

4.94/5  rDev +7.6%

This beer is what turned me in to a craft beer lover. I tasted it in a flight years ago and began to hunt down stouts. Many disappointed, but it opened up my pallet to good beer in general. I wish I could find this beer near me!

4.82/5  rDev +5%

Pours thin from a bottle very little head. On the nose I smell plum and candied apples. Definitely get the booze. Very syrupy on the finish. Lots of chocolate on the back end.

3.16/5  rDev -31.2%

I really wanted to like this. I’ve heard great things about the Bruery and decided to become a Society member to give them a try. This is supposed to be one of their best but sadly, like most of their beers, it’s just too sweet for my liking and very reminiscent of a dessert wine. I appreciate their ingenuity but I’m coming to the realization that their style, while interesting and complex, is just not my thing.

4.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2015 version. Not a great looking stout. Kinda thin/no head etc. Aroma is bourbon and cardboard. Big and boozy. Chocolate, bourbon and buttery greatness. Quite a great stout.

4.34/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2016 at a bottle share. Looks and smells great but the booze really detracted from this one for me. The coffee in Mocha Wednesday helps mask it but drinking this one I was glad I only had a taster. I can't imagine opening a bottle for less than four people.

4.4/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage, cellared 4+ years.
Very strong and complex, great for aging.

Lots of big, sweet caramel toffee and raisin, vanilla and slightly sour cherry, port wine flavors. Boozy and full bodied but very smooth and mellow - some family members complained of a slight medicinal quality but I thought it was not at all harsh. A lovely sipper for after Christmas dinner!

Aged this old there's almost no detectable roast flavors of coffee or chocolate, just a nice old sweetness. Aromas have definitely faded compared to what previous reviewers say. I'd like to try a fresher batch, as this may have already peaked.

3.08/5  rDev -32.9%

I've been a Bruery Society member for 3 years - and have now tried 3 vintages of BT. I've recently come to the conclusion that I simply don't like this beer.

I feel that a bourbon barrel aged stout should have certain characteristics:

A deep, dark, opaque black color
A rich mouthfeel
Little to no carbonation
It should taste like beer - with notes of the bourbon barrel characteristics

I feel that BT defies all of these. The color is more of a dark amber. Mouthfeel is very thin and perhaps the most disappointing aspect of this beer. The carbonation - while not very noticeable while pouring - is definitely noticeable while drinking. This beer usually falls in the 18-20+ %ABV range - which I'm all for - if the bourbon/booziness isn't overpowering. In this case - the huge ABV seems to be the dominating characteristic of this beer - and I'm just not a fan.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery