Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 681 | Ratings: 3,821
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to brew33 for sending this one my way!

2011 vintage:

Not as 'black' as the name might suggest... edges of cola brown clarity, a full finger of khaki tan head fades quickly to a stubborn ring and spotty islands of carb across the center of the glass, thick oily booze legs dominate the lacing.

Loads of rum raisin and tasteful sweet bourbon, dense caramel qualities, smooth charred oak notes play against the different booze notes, vanilla and toffee, faint milk chocolate with figs or dates... it's all over the place. Smells fantastic.

Wow. Sweet syrupy booze that doesn't burn, chocolate sauce, brown sugar, tons of molasses, bold but well integrated barrel notes, figs, quite sweet... one big ass beer, that's for sure. The bourbon character blossoms a bit more as the beer warms. Surprisingly approachable for such a massive beer. A bit cloying but with the lack of boozy burn I expected, I'm fine with that. Definitely a beer that you have to be in the mood for... it's big, it's sweet, it's strong as hell. Thumbs up.

Great, great beer. I wish I had another to play with in the cellar.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks for mlaroche for this bottle.

Review #1000!

Vintage 2010

Pours a wicked dark black color, no light getting through this, not even at the edges, smallish head that fades very quickly and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass.

Huge notes of dark fruit, especially fig and raisin, even has almost a chocolate sherry aroma, subtle hints of wood, bourbon is quite prevalent on the nose as well.

Taste starts out with a bourbon burn, even after almost 4 years of aging this still packs a punch although it's not nearly as bad as when I first tried it a few years ago, quite sticky and sweet although the sugary aspects have also mellowed out and allowed the dark fruit to have a large presence, carbonation is low but more than adequate for this style and is very soft on the mouth, finishes with a very sticky feeling.

To be honest, I didn't care for it the first time. It was way too sugary sweet and burned too much as well. It's still very strong in both of those arenas but have considerably mellowed out and allowed other flavors to come through. Overall, a good choice for my 1000th review as it demonstrates a good usage of cellaring. I think I'll sit on my 2011 bottle until I hit 1100 reviews (at my current pace, it might be awhile).

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2014 version, so already a bit of age.

L- Black, thin off-white head that barely lingers.

S- Holy crap, that's boozy. Keep away from open flames. Behind that's there's a nice bourbon and milk chocolate aroma, The booze faded a bit once it warmed up.

T- Much like the smell, it's very strong. Once you get past that, it's a nice caramel/chocolate/bourbon. Smoother and more drinkable once it warmed up.

F- Thick, sticky syrup. Very rich.

O- There's some good stuff here, but the booze is a bit overpowering. I would like this more if it were in the 12-15% range. It was a lot better once it warmed up, a chocolatey and sweet after-dinner beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a cigar city snifter. When the bottle opened, it stated foaming.

A: I'm a little surprised on the carbonation on this, pretty bubbly. Pours pitch black, with a half inch mocha colored head. Turned into a small ring of bubbles with a bunch of alcohol sticking to the glass.

S: A bold and powerful smelling brew. Bourbon with chocolate, sweet roasted malts and booze.

T: Rich chocolate and bourbon blends with oak, vanilla, roasty malts, a bit of dark fruits and caramel sugar. Rum like alcohol flavor is very present, not drinking like almost 20% but hot, none the less.

M; This is an out there American style beer, not surprised about the hype on this stuff. Strong and incredibly sweet and flavorful. At 19% alcohol this is a dessert brew thats for sipping only.

O: It reminds me of an all malt mixed drink, and I can't really drink more than 6oz. Really awesome though, just something I'd keep in the cellar for 5 years to a decade and drink occasionally with a crew of homies.
It's not my favorite ba imperial stout, I prefer Hunahpu, bcbs and bcbcs and a couple of others just mainly because of mouthfeel and drinkability. This is a great beer though that pushes the limits of brewing. glad I finally got to try this.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

BT 2011, pours a deep black color, Medium sized tan foamy head. The aroma is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla and woody with some alcohol. A full bodied Imperial Stout. A VERY BIG Imperial Stout. The malts are chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, some bourbon and some cherry. The hops are herbal. This beer has a big alcohol presence the first sip and smell are dominated by the alcohol, after that the other flavors start coming through. There is a nice mix of malts, sweetness, vanilla and wood going on here, once you get past the big alcohol blast. This beer has an awesome potential for aging. It is very good now, but a couple or five years of bottle aging would make this beer even more amazing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

Got this beer at the Great Amercian Beer Fest multiple times.
Pours deep space dark black with a caramel head that disolves quickly.
Smells extremely intense and complex. Nots of caramel, dark fruits are very heavy and range from dates to bing cherrys and apricots. Chocolate and coffee round out the nose with a boozy undertone and essences of vanilla and charred wood and roasted marshmellow. Rich orange marmelade and maple even follow through.
Taste is more intense than the smell. Thick, fudge like mocha sweetness with a huge raisen and dark fruit character found more often in barleywines. Honey notes and slight vanilla hints turn up at the end with a good constantly growing alcohol warmth.
I love the complexity of this beer and it's very heavy indeed so go slow. The mouthfeel is moderately heavy but the complexity of flavors make it seem more thick. Love this beer

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle, shared at a recent beer tasting to cap off the evening. Cheers to Jeff for sharing this one with us!

Poured into a snifter glass. Deepest darkest black, with a thin light brown head that dissolves quite quickly under its own weight. A think little smattering of foam is all that survives. You can see the weight on this as it pours.

Nose is sweet and sugary, with notes of roasted malt, molasses, bourbon, vanilla, dark chocolate, caramel and a slight peat or leather quality. Rich and inviting.

Well this is all kinds of wonderful. Definitely a sharing bottle, even if the ABV wasn't as high as it is. Rich stout flavours, very sweet, with assertive notes of bourbon, chocolate, sugar and vanilla. The booze is certainly there, but despite being 18%, it tastes more like around a 10%er, which makes for some dangerous drinking indeed. A headache-inducing brew, but oh-so-worth it.

Medium-high thickness, mild carbonation, creamy on the palate. Drinks like a liqueur.

Terrific double stout, very sweet, full of flavour. When drinking this brew I had that calm euphoria folks must have felt in the late 1920s with stocks at what Irving Fisher described as a "permanently high plateau". The high ABV hit me a short while later, with the high sugar content causing an irreversible crash. With a brew this good, however, it won't take a war to get me on my feet again. Terrific stuff, well worth a pickup. Share this brew, or don't come crying to me later.

4.44/5  rDev -0.7%

Enjoyed for new years eve, poured into my new CBS snifter. 2011 vintage.

Dark mahogany colored brew with very little head. Smells like oak and booze. Literally smells as hot as I could imagine a fresh 2011 would be.

Taste: amazingly smooth, dark fruits like a Belgian with a lot of sugar. This is like a fine cognac but its a beer. Delicious! One of the better RIS that I've had in a long time...I'd like more but I'm buzzed off a 1/3 of the 750 haha

Mouthfeel was smooth but with a hint if alcohol. Good accomplishment for an 18% brew I'd say.

Overall: more please. I wish I could snag another couple of these to see how they develop over time!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 version, opened too soon, but was jonesing to try it. Incredibly rich and full-bodied, with a ton of malt-y sweetness, laced through with coffee and caramel. A bit one-dimensional at this point, but I would imagine this will be great in a couple of years.

4.44/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

enjoyed at a share - this is a big beer. pours black and has everything you want in a high ABV BA stout. Not overpowering in any specific way but a knock out for sure.

The Bruery Black Tuesday
750mL bottle poured into a snifter
2011 vintage

A huge thanks goes out to Redbeeron for sending over this big time want over in a trade!  Thanks Matt.

A: Pours a very dark brown, not quite black, with lighter browning on the edges.  Just under 1 fingers width of light mocha colored head quickly settles to an outer ring and wispy center, which remains throughout the drink but leaves no appreciable lacing.  Actually looks rather thin, and not all that impressive.

S: Aroma on the other hand, is huge, with massive bourbon notes.  Oak, lighter dark fruits such as cherry and plum, an interesting unique character that I can only describe as herbaceous, smokey barbeque sauce, molasses, and booze. I like.

T: Hugely sweet.  Caramel, candied sugar, some roasted notes, a nonspecific bitterness, bakers chocolate, bourbon, toffee. Incredibly sweet, almost to the degree of Dark Lord, but unlike Dark Lord, there are other characteristics to balance out the sweetness and prevent it from being cloying.   Some booze is noted but in a balancing way, not a dominating way.  I was not terribly impressed at first, but it definitely gets better as it warms, with the other flavors coming out to combat the sweetness.  Finishes strong.  Very tasty beer here.

M/D: Appropriately low carbonation, slightly syrupy but not terribly so, thicker than it looks,and slightly chewy.  Absolutely incredibly job of masking the absurd ABV.  This is officially the highest ABV beer I have ever drank, just edging out DFH 120, and I never would have guessed it.  Ive had IS's with half the ABV that were hotter than this.  Incredible job in that aspect.  Drinkability is scary good with the first glass poured from the bomber.  In fact, I drank the first half of the bomber way to fast, and had to take a little break to settle my stomach.   After a short recuperation period (and a slice of pizza to balance out the sugary sweetness) I was onto the second glass of the bomber.  And similar to the first, the drinkability is still incredible, however, I made sure to take this one a little slower.  This is made to be a slow sipper, so take your time.

O: Overall, very good-bordering on great, but IMO not elite.  I do find it incredible how they were able to produce such a drinkable beer with the crazy ABV, and in that sense this beer is a masterpiece.  Unfortunately, I am not a huge fan of the flavor profile, as I tend to shy away from the overly sweet stouts.  However, unlike some of the other crazy sweet IS's (I'm looking at you Dark Lord), this one has much more of a balance, which I mostly attribute to the big bourbon presence.  I dont plan to seek this out as aggressively as some of the other big stouts (for example, KBS, BCBCS, Imperial Biscotti, Darkness, The Abyss, and even MZ are all beers that are far easier to obtain and better beers IMO).  That being said, this  is definitely a beer I would drink any chance I got, I would certainly recommend, and Im glad I got to try.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2011 Black Tuesday poured into an Orval glass

A: Black, can't see through it when I hold it up to a light. Two random litte patches of light tan bubbles linger on the surface, other than that there are little signs of carbonation.

S: Booze and chocolate mostly with bourbon and oak being second. I could smell this one the second the seal from the cap broke.

T: Lots of boozey flavor but no burn! Its intense but well balanced out by the chocolate, more of a milky sweeter chocolate, and bourbon. Hints of vanilla and maybe a bit of caramel in the background.

M: Very very thick, maybe the thickest beer I've had up to this point. Its pretty amazing!

O: Seems like this beer is a huge hit or huge miss for a lot of people and I have to say it was a huge hit for me. Its not as sweet as I expected and the alcohol is actually far less detectable than I had anticipated even though it plays a pretty big role in both aroma and flavor. Really nice beer.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage bottle poured into a snifter, sharred with many people.

A- Pours pitch black color, slight tan head that dissipates to nothing, no lacing; no apparent carbonation as well, from the appearance I can tell this is going to be a big beer.
S- Huge bourbon flavors, vanilla, alcohol is present, caramel, slight coffee presence, some dark fruits, raisins, plums.
T- Now this is a big beer, I was not turned off at all by how high the abv is, I can definitely tell the alcohol is there but I liked the warming effect it had, I’m really impressed with this massive brew, nice sweet malts, oak, vanilla, slight chocolate taste, coffee, big bourbon flavors are there, dark fruits, raisins, plums, I can see what everyone is saying about the 2009 vintage, ageing this beer would do wonders, still really impressed.
M- Big mouth feel, coats the palate, slight carbonation, sticky.
O- Very grateful to dougofthefuture for bringing this beer to the dinner tonight, I’ve been wanting to try any vintage I could get a hold of and now I finally have. Big Big beer that I hope to get a hold of again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not a huge Stout fan and really not a bourbon barrel fan but I try to be fair to the tastes and beers I try, like this one.

Smells big and intense yet tasty even to me. Rather intense/big taste but still felt smooth to me over all. The taste, to me, didn't seem to linger on the tongue so long that I couldn't taste anything else, which was a nice difference to me at least. This baby is big and can slap you in the face at 18-19% but if you're a fan of stouts and bourbon barrel aging, definately get this.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried 2014 vintage at the brewery, by donating canned foood which gave me access to this beer. Dark, pitch black, minimal head. Smell is chocolate, malt, and some dried fruit. Taste is much dark cocoa, oak, chocolate dipped apricot flavor here, finishing like a port, but more robust and nutty. Pair with dessert.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black as fuck!!

Bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, beautiful!!

Smooth as can be! I can't comprehend this is 18%. The finish is so perfectly balanced. It's unreal!

Velvety smooth and chewy.

One outstandingly crafted brew. Hats off to The Bruery. Salud!

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Black as night with a barely there ring of mahogany nighlight when tilted and held to the light. Brown head reduces to a thin foam cap. Sexy ass legs with brown bubbles

S: Bourbon, vanilla, roast, booze, oak, chocolate, coconut. Reminds me a bit of GI BCS and the Firestone Walker anniversary beers. Licorice and dried figs.

T: Sweeet, bourbon, roast and musty wet oak. Again I am reminded of BCS. Booze finally becomes apparent as it gets to room temp. Also huge dark fruit as it gets warm.

M: Rich and velvety, nice appropriate carbonation. Oily and slick.

D: I split this beer with three other people and the 6 ounce pour was perfect.
This was never a chore but it was quite intense.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

Motor oil black pour with a loose brown head. The aroma is heavily charred oak and smoky bourbon with notes of vanilla bean, 100% cacao chocolate and boozy dark fruit. The begins with bitter dark espresso and blends to bourbon, smoke, and oak. It finishes with lingering dark chocolate, a dark fruit liquor, and a hint of amaretto. The FULL body is oily feeling with a moderate carbonation level and a big alcohol burn.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Huge thanks to GregSVT for sharing this bottle. I was beginning to doubt whether I would ever get to try this one.

2011 vintage.

The beer pours a very dark brown to black color with a few brown bubbles but no real head.

The aroma is awesome. I get a ton of bourbon and molasses notes, as well as some raisins, chocolate and roasted malt. The other barrel-aged notes also come through and contribute quite a bit of maple and oak.

The flavor is just as good, if not better than the aroma. The first notes are some sweet chocolate, which is quickly followed by a heavy amount of bourbon. I also get some great maple, oak and vanilla notes from the barrel-aging process, as well as some coffee and brown sugar. The alcohol is very present and the beer is extremely sweet.

Medium to thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. Thanks again Greg for sharing this bottle.

2009 Release

Black Tuesday definitely lives up to its name. It’s pitch black in color. No light cuts through at all. It’s topped with a darker, mocha colored head. It rises just above the surface, but falls quickly. Perhaps the high abv got to it. Lacing was definitely on the lighter side. Good looking stuff.

The nose is fantastic. It’s full of chocolate and roasted m alt scents. It smells sweet and sugary. There’s definitely a mix of sweet milk chocolate and bittersweet dark notes. Bourbon is definitely notable, but seems only moderately strong. That’s my ideal approach. It complements the malty notes extremely well. Secondary scents of oak, vanilla, molasses, and brown sugar. Alcohol is surprisingly mild given that it’s 19.5%. Wow.

The flavor is just as impressive. It’s all kinds of malty and sweet. The chocolate flavors are sweet and bittersweet. Roasted malts buttress the chocolate flavors and add nice depth. Bourbon definitely has a moderate presence and plays that role perfectly. Barrel-aging imparted really nice vanilla and oak flavors. Brown sugar and molasses emerge late. It seems to grow sweeter with each passing sip. There is a slight dark fruit tanginess on the tail. Alcohol is definitely there in flavor. It’s also quite warm. No big shock given the size. Finishes sweet and chocolaty with a kiss of bourbon. Excellent.

Black Tuesday has a medium to full body. It is nice and smooth. Carbonation is light and the bubbles feel soft. It’s good, but it could use just a little more body. I really was anticipating a thick, viscous beast. It’s not quite there. Having said all that, it goes down relatively easy for a beer of its size. It is big and the alcohol is definitely there though.

Black Tuesday is the best beer I’ve tried from the Bruery. I expected that. It is excellent beer. It’s packed with tons of flavor. The bourbon flavor is excellent and works its magic extremely well. My only two small complaints are that it’s a bit too sweet and the alcohol is a bit much. I suspect it’s integrated some over two years, but perhaps not that much. I didn’t try it fresh. It’s definitely excellent beer nonetheless. Well worth seeking out.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

pour was jet black motor oil with a very little cocoa head

huge bourbon, dark cherry, vanilla, licorice, and molasses

very sweet, the sugar lined my gums afterward. lots of bourbon but in a very sweet way, not much heat at all for a 19.5% ABV. bits of molasses and vanilla with slight hints of oak and dark cherry. bourbon and sugar dominates.

hands down the thickest stout i have ever had. it lined my mouth and then some.

i was impressed, it lived up to the hype. the ABV was well hidden although in the back of my head I knew it was there. it was a tad too sweet though, that as the only flaw i found. i would drink this again but with other people. 19.5 will wreck you.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

2011 Version poured into a Bruery Tulip Glass....

A) Black but a bit more opague then I would have thought...thin head no real lacing after a swirl.

S) Bourbon and Vanilla, a little dried fruit.

T) Absolutely amazing, bourbon and vanilla again, figs, plums and cherries the sweetness abounds!

M) Starts off smooth but you do get that alchohol burn!

O) Glad I have another bottle to age...this might be the beer for me that really has the best complimentary smell and taste. Outstanding!

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured into a Hop Valley snifter. Celebratory beer for making it through a week of the Olympic Track and Field Trials being in town.

A-Opaque black. Darker then the darkest night. Pours with little carbonation and not a lot of head. This is surely a big imperial stout just by the look.

S-Licorice, notes of cherry, and bourbon. Burnt wood/ leathery. Smells delicious

T-The first thing I get is the sweetness. Expected from a beer this big. It's not overly sweet. I think the barrel aging helped it out. Then the bourbon comes through along with the deep roasted notes. I get cherry on the pallet, much like I did w/ Dark Lord. Toasted vanilla and charred oak

M-Motor Oil. It is think and sticky and awesome. The body lingers on the mouth for long after the beer is gone.

O- This beer is a beast. And at 18%+ it drinks like 10%, which isn't saying much because that is still big. the alcohol burn is there, but not what you would expect from something this big. I has Melange #3 which i thought was fantastic. This beer has reached the expectations that I had for this beer. I will seek out again for the cellar. When the Patrick and Tyler do it right, they do it right.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Special thanks to Mike for bringing this to last nights tasting. Out of a snifter, 2010 bottle.

A- Pitch black. Little to no head, and light ring remains. No lacing, but a film coats the inside of the glass.

S- Sweet and boozy. Some notes of dark fruit and bourbon. Some oak, soy, and chocolate.

T- This stuff is seriously sweet. Strong notes of bourbon and dark malt and molassas. I get some oak and chocolate as well, plus some coffee notes. As I was drinking it, I couldn't help but think to myself "This tastes a lot like Sugar Daddies"

M- Definitely a little cloying, but the body and carbonation were spot on. Not too thick, and surprisingly drinkable for the ABV.

O- Overall, a great beer but maybe a little over hyped. It is so sweet, I just couldn't picture myself drinking too much more than I had. A very nice sipper, and a great beer to have tried.

-GFunk

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Finally cracked open a bottle to share with a friend last night. Too bad this isn't easier to get a hold of.
A: Pitch black and thick. Nice head retention with the brown frothy head.
S: This is really the highlight of this beer. If you like beers like Firestone Walker 12 or SA Utopias, this beer will be a treat. The aroma is full of bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, fig, and molasses.
T: Not quite as good as the aroma, but still impressive. I read a review where someone mentioned chocolate cake, and that is exactly what I got. There is also a strong bourbon presence here as well.
M: Thick and sweet. Covers the tongue.
D: A bit too boozy and sweet to easily drink a ton. Still a great beer. Damn did it hit me hard after a full glass. I would drink this 6oz at a time.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery