Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2015: 19.9% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 661 | Ratings: 3,705
4.36/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Smells like a bourbon bomb. Taste is obviously very very sweet due to the high ABV but still a fantastic barrel aged stout. Only knocks i have on it are the beer is a little thin in the mouthfeel and a touch too sweet.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2014 all to myself. Not as ominous looking as I was expecting. Fantastic big nose though. Fanastic big taste. Not as refined as bourbon county heat wise, but much bigger as well. Enjoyed Monday better, still have Wed and Rain to go.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Almost 20% abv? Amazing - ususally something that big turns out to be a fiery mess, but here we have a surprisingly smooth big beer. Dense and a bit sweet, with caramel and brown sugar notes, overlapping intense roasted malts. This would be the ideal fireside sipper.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

thanks to mtomlins for this - 2013 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a small size frothy head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, grains, coffee, wood, booze

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and faint coffee. There is also quite a bit of booze and some vanilla and wood.

Overall - One of the booziest beers I have ever had.. but this is not a bad thing. I was expecting this to be cloyingly sweet, but instead it still manages to remain quite drinkable especially given the ABV - not that sweet at all either. Definitely a good bottle to share and worth seeking out.

Thanks Eric!

This pours like motor oil. Really rich dark black, with ruby high-lights on the sides in the light. A large mocha tan head that quickly fades and dies off.

The nose was full of molasses, some chocolate and spice, toasty and smokey, raisins, espresso and cocoa, some real light red fruit coming from the alcohol. This is just a great aroma. Hard to take my nose out of the glass.

The taste follows but with more complex flavours. Super rich, chocolatey, molasses stewed plums, dates and raisins, some vanilla hints in the dark espresso roastyness. There is a cool toasted coconut like taste that swims around in this one. Some smokey notes are also present. This is a little sweet, but still fairly dry for the alcohol content and complexity.

The body is oily, sweet, thick, slimy and moderate carbonation. Not too hot.

An amazing sipping beer. Really really rich and inviting with flavours coming out as it warms. I think this is a winner. It does live up to all the hype. a "Wow" beer.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

750ml bottle poured into tulip 12/10/12 generously opened by alpinclimber with Mattsander and myself

A not black but dark brown with deep cola edges, no head or lace as expected but some sexy thin legs, looks good but far from as dark as I was expecting

S almost smells more like bourbon then a beer, booze is strong with some molasses, soy faint teriyaki and even some smoky bacon, I get some woody earthy notes and chocolate, smells pretty good

T the booze is strong but if it wasn’t I’d be concerned, not as much soy but the vanilla and chocolate liqueur that replaces it works better for me, most of what I smells still there in one form or another but improved upon

M flat but syrupy and thick, much thicker then I’d guess from the color, its hot but manageable, silky boozy and a lovely bourbon aftertaste, well done for such a massive beer

O this is amazing now and I can only imagine what this would be like in a decade or two, pretty intense brew, I need to use some strength getting my lips apart, seriously though diabetes in a glass

I’m pretty stoked I got to try this one and now I feel the need to own one so I can lay it down for ages. This will end up as a truly amazing beer in 10 or 20 years. Thanks for the crack at this one Adam

750ml bottle shared at woodshop 5.1

Poured a dark as night black like motor oil with a very thin head and almost no lacing left on the glass. There was a lot going on in the aroma which consisted of chocolate malts, coco nibs, brown sugar, slight bourbon notes, vanilla and toffee. It had a sweet nose which probably included dark fruits as well. You can definitely smell the bourbon. The flavor was really complex with the chocolatey brownie striking first on the palate with bourbon, toffee, vanilla and caramelized sugar accents. After a couple sips I also got slight coco like the nose and booze for sure. Black Tuesday was full bodied with a low amount of carbonation that had a silky sweet and boozy finish. It was pretty drinkable considering the ABV on this beast. I actually enjoyed it more on tap before they released last year don't get me wrong it is still a great beer I just had to put in my two cents on it that's all. This is something everyone should try at least once.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My first BT.
2011 vintage, about time I tried this. Solo.

Look: Semi vigorous pour yields a 3/4 inch head that is gone, but for a ring, in a matter of minutes. After ten minutes, the ring is gone but comes back with a few swirls of the snifter. After 20 minutes the ring can not be brought back. RIP.

Smell: I could smell the booze in this as soon as I lifted the cap. Smells of port soaked raisins, dark chocolate, bitter chocolate. As it warms those raisins are still there but with something new, leather and a distant coffee/espresso essence off in the distance. Raisins dominate.

Taste: Boozy fruit cake, chocolate covered, of course!

Feel: At first I gave it a 4, now at 20 minutes in, 3.75.

Overall: Glad I finally cracked this. I really like beers like this that push the envelope. I will be opening my 2013 sooner rather than later AND with someone else!

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Big thanks to Eric for opening this one. You went through a lot of crap to get these, but this is a damn fine beer.

Pours just shy of black, with dark brown highlights when held up to the light. A mocha head soon fades to a collar before disappearing altogether. The aroma is neat - chocolate, vanilla, coffee, bourbon, wood. Lots going on, but not quite as intense as expected.

Flavour is complex and liqueur-like in its intensity. Lots of chocolate at first, a fruity sweetness in the middle, and a spicy finish. At times there are notes of coconut, pepper, brown sugar and vanilla. Nice and an ideal dessert beer. My one slight criticism is that I'd like a bit more roastiness, but that's pretty minor. Decadent, full mouthfeel suits this beer to a tee. Drinkability is impressive, and the alcohol really is not anywhere near discernible. The sweetness and richness certainly limit the size of the pour, and I think it worked great over 150ml. I'd probably go close to double that, but no more.

Well worth trying. Kinda hyped, but actually worth it. Definitely a sharer, but a unique experience as far as beer is concerned. Thanks again, Eric!

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Many thanks to corby112 for bringing this 2009 vintage 705ml bottle to our tasting on 1/23/11!

A - Definitely blacker than Monday with a burnt tan ring around the top of the glass. Oily and ominous.

S - Although the bourbon is quite pronounced (no surprise there), the aroma is rounded out by chocolate, molasses, vanilla and a hint of soy sauce.

T - As with the aroma, the bourbon character dominates the initial flavor. Underneath all of the boozy warmth lies the true heart of Black Tuesday, though. Wood, chocolate, tobacco, vanilla and soy sauce all emerge to create a delicious flavor profile. While the bourbon presence is clearly over zealous, the alcohol remains fairly restrained for an 18% ABV beer.

M - Full bodied with an extremely oily, viscous texture and timid carbonation. While this is 18%, it drinks more in the 8-10% range. Mouthfeel is sticky and warm overall with a moderate alcohol burn in the finish.

D - OK, the Bruery finally has my attention now. Full-bodied, complex and brimming with bourbon and vanilla goodness, Black Tuesday is a pretty amazing BBA Imperial Stout.

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"This was my beer of the day!"

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a dark black chocolate color, nice.

Smell is of brown sugar molasses, alcohol, chocolate, and roasted malts.

Taste is of alcohol, molasses, sweet caramel and toffee. Very big and complex stout, but the alcohol is very prevalent.

Medium carbonation, sweet, smooth, very boozy.

Sweet and boozy, good beer but the alcohol is really strong, but maybe that is to be expected from an 18.2% beer.

Overall a great beer, but not something you could ever drink an entire bottle of.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottle shared by Jason, into a snifter. 2012 bottle.

A: Pours still-looking, with a mahogany-black body and a tiny bit of brown lacing around the edges.

S: Lots of marshmallow and caramel character from the barrel in the nose. Thick hot chocolate. Pleasant booziness builds as it warms.

T: Boozy chocolate, roasted grain, light figgy sweetness, caramel and tannic vanilla. Big alcohol burn in the finish. The maltiness matches it, though.

M: Thick-bodied, tingly carbonation with some pleasant alcohol warmth.

O: Really tasty beer. The alcohol, despite being palpable, is less disruptive than I expected.

4.34/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 25 oz bottle into a Bruery snifter glass. Acquired in a trade from vitese, thanks buddy! One of my biggest ISOs.

A- Upon the pour a chocolate brown, translucent stream enters the glass, exhibiting a deep brown body with a 1 finger light mocha colored head that reduces slowly to leave a brown ring of foam. Little lacing.

S- Upfront come big aromas of bourbon, vanilla, maple, and molasses. Upon further evaluation, he background reveals aromas of caramel, toffee, and coffee. I get some boozy aromas every so often, but any 19% beer that doesn't smell like booze is not 19% alcohol.

T- Sweet milk chocolate and caramel upfront, next up next is coffee and a roastyness. Super sweet.. a syrupy fudgyness that coats the tongue. The finish is somewhat roasty, charred. Boozy but not too boozy.

M- Rich, thick, low carbonation. The definition of a sipper.

I was really looking forward to Black Tuesday, and it did deliver. It is on the sweet side, so if you don't prefer sweet stouts this probably isn't for you. I was expecting something more dry like BCBS, but nonetheless the flavor profile worked for what it is. Share this one or split it over a few nights, it's a meal!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Split a bomber with my brother in law after we had already had another barrel aged stout. Wow, did this beer kick my ass! This was the highest ABV beer I had ever had and I felt it. It was well worth it though as this beer was great.

Pour appears somewhat thin but the mouthfeel was super thick and chewy. Maybe the barrel aging thinned out the beer but fortunately it did not affect the mouthfeel.

The taste is sweet and malty with a huge bourbon backbone. The sweetness I expected with the high alcohol content but what was nice was there wasn't any kind of alcohol burn despite the potency of the beer.

Overall, this beer was probably one of the best 10-15 beers I have ever had. I know I won't get many chances to try this with Black Tuesday not hitting general distribution. Quite the treat.

4.34/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to stevemcqueenjr for bringing this bottle out east!!
A - Deep, deep reddish brown/black. Tan head.
S - Chocolate, some booze, Sweet dark malt, dark fruit. Super rich.
T - Some alcohol heat up front, bourbon, dark fruit and licorice.
M/F - Round and pretty thick. Active carbonation.
D - Very tasty and pretty extreme. A good bottle to share with 5 others!

4.34/5  rDev -2.9%

750 ml bottle shared among theoretical friends, provided by the former king of Portsmouth, rpstevens the great.

Black as night with a kuh-hakie ring o' foam round the edges. Awesome giant legs and curtains of booze sliding down the glass like a downpour on a car windshield. I wish it would rain. It's so hot.

Smells like a bunch o' powdered cocoa in a bourbon frappe. Touch of coconut. Pretty standard fare for this kind of mega-stout. Quite nice. Smell really reminds me of Angel's Share.

Taste is sweet chocolate and raisins, and hot hot hot, but pleasant hot, not like this heatwave weather I'm moored in. So sweet. It almost isn't even a stout... It's like stout liqueur. Damn tasty, though.

Mouthfeel is awesome and fluffy. It's like a chocolate cloud. It possesses an interesting duality in that it is both thick and viscous, but light and fluffy at the same time.

Drinkability is amazing for an RIS, especially one at 19.5% abv. Normally I would penalize a beer so boozy as this one, but this is so quaffable and delicious, I could drink much more than I was allotted... Cheers.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Boy am I pissed off that this was one of the three reveiws i lost from the weekend crash. Atleast I have notes but this wont nearly be as long. Bottle courtesy of Shogokawanda

A: It was black with only mild amount of dark brown carbonation on top. Not as thick as I thought it would be but still pretty dark.

S: As soon as the bottle was cracked, I could smell milk chocolate. The bourbon was milder than I expected which was good, but there was no real roastiness in the aroma. Sweet chocolate, brown sugar, molasses, and vanilla are also there, but I prefer my stout to have some hint of roasted character

T: I wanted to hate this, i really did, but i couldnt. The first sip was amazing. It started out chocolaty then transitioned to a bit of bourbon with hints of wood coming through and then as it went down, amazing flavors of coconut and almond. Dammit why did it have to taste really good.

M: Good amount of body and definitely thick without being to thick, if that makes sense. The bourbon did add some booziness, but i found that it added to the overall experience of the beer.

D: I, as did others, sat on this one for quite some time. I couldnt even think about having one all to myself, or even half a bottle at that. It did live up to the hype and I am very happy to have had the opportunity to try it

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a deep, opaque black. Stone colored head that diminishes to a few bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smells of heavy licorice. Some raisin. It hits you very hard right up front. A lot going on and very rich and heavy, a bit of a roasted scent. Bitter dark chocolate, cocoa smell.

Tastes sweet. A lot of dark fruit, blackberries, licorice. A lingering hazelnut aftertaste in there at the end. The alcohol is extremely masked which is an incredible surprise. As it warms, caramel and chocolate notes seem to seep through and become more prevalent.

Surprisingly smooth for the heftiness of the brew and the onslaught of smell and flavor. The carbonation has slight bite to it, but its not too bad and balanced by the malt load.

The drinkability is low due to the fact that you can't have very many of these. It's so rich and heavy in alcohol. It's quite the treat but a doozy.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks Jared & Kevin for making this review possible... An appropriately sinny rapturebeer™ if ever there was one. Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours an imposing black with blood red ruby edges that glint in the light. Slim amount of foam, tan ring around the edge, surprising there was any foam considering the abv. The glassy obsidian surface reminds me of the oily black pool at Glastonbury Grove in Twin Peaks.

Toasted marshmallows, melted milk chocolate bars, deep roasty char.

Rich and fudgy (understatement), caramel toffee, almond fudge, fried plantains, warm chocolate syrup. Mucho dry roast and bitter bakers chocolate in the aftertaste. So decadent. Impossibly dense, fudgy and chewy to the nth degree, a perfect liquid dessert. About 4 oz. is enough for one sitting, although I could certainly drink more if I forced myself.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

It came on a Monday night....Black Tuesday!! Hugh thanks to the generosity of BeerFM Andy for sharing this one of a kind brew. Pours a thick midnight black a la motor oil with a two finger tan head. Sweet aroma taste which is body slammed by the hot booziness. Great tones of chocolate, vanilla, mild bourbon, and molasses.

A cage match in a glass between the sweet and the booze which can be fatiguing. Think I'll skip the next train fuel station and just pour Black Tuesday into the tank. A powerhouse of a stout.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

With much anticipation I had my first Black Tuesday last night. 2015 vintage poured into snifter

Appearance- pitch black with zero head. Exactly what I would expect from a beer this strong
Smell- booze. I expected this but it is intense
Taste- I get vanilla, caramel up front, barrel late and the booze hits like an iron fist. It is very evident
Feel- almost no carbonation. Slightly syrupy .
Overall- a special occasion beer I am so glad I was able to try. But there are better ba imp stouts out there that easier to finish.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

2010 vintage. Shared yesterday by hu5om in La Crosse with a few other BAs. Served in a snifter:

A - Black with brown edges. Little head that dies to bubbly foam around the edges. Slinky lacing retention.

S - Nice bourbon, cream, chocolate and roast. Caramel and brown sugar. Candy, booze and wood.

T - Booze and candy sugar. Chocolate, roast and booze. A bit sweet and fruits, with dark fruits like plums and figs and booze. Oak and pretty hot, probably from the booze. Did I mention that this is pretty boozy?

M - Slightly smooth. Stinging sensation from the booze heat. Heavy and thick, but expected.

D - Not the easiest thing to drink. Thank God that I didn't have to drink this by myself. Although it was a pretty good beer, I think the hype train has taken this for a ride. I'm really glad I got to try it but I won't be seeking it in the future. We even mixed a bit of it with some 120 IPA to make a really extreme black and tan...it was an improvement. Thanks Ryan!

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

2015 -19.9%ABV

This poured out a dark and slightly murky brown with a thin foam cap that fizzled away quickly. Looks more like a bourbon barrel aged barleywine than a stout. The nose was sweet. Raisins and mash dominate. Taste is sweet as well, but not off putting. Just plain, thin feel. The fact that this is an enormous ABV leads me to believe that it will be somewhat "hot", but it isn't at all. I could have easily blindly placed this in the 8-11% range. Pretty enjoyable overall.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

I got a pretty small pour of this one as it was split many ways at the tasting, huge thanks to the man who brought it. In all honesty, I don't know if I'd even want more than a couple ounces. The aroma is all sorts of heady, with tons of bourbon, chocolate, and sugar going on. The taste is similar with lots and lots of sweetness. Some underlying chocolate and vanilla from the bourbon. I've said it before, but never has it applied more - this one's a sipper. The first thing that came to mind for me was the similarity to bourbon county stout just from the full-on rush of sensation. The tastes are similar (although this one's a little more sweetness and chocolate and a little less outright bourbon) and since I'm a huge fan of BCS that can only be a good thing. Glad I got a chance to try this very special beer.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

2011 vintage. On tap at the Bruery for 2011 Black Tuesday release.

Pours very dark coffee brown, some small bubbles but basically no head. Smell is well integrated bourbon and chocolate, big aroma of dark cocoa powder, some vanilla bean, cola and mocha. Really good stuff. Taste is pretty dry bourbon, mocha/chocolate syrup, some cola, moderate alcohol (but I guess not bad given the ABV), finishing again with a hefty dose of cocoa and also a light espresso bitterness. Very light carbonation and kind of thin/Coca Cola-like body. There's a moderate amount of alcohol burn which kind of overwhelms the light body. Overall, this is a big stout with nicely integrated flavors, improved by the barrel, but lacks body and is a little hot. Still, at 18% this is drinkable enough--surely a miracle of nature.

Between this, Chocolate Rain, and S'More Tuesday, this was my least favorite.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery