Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Ratings: 3,872 |  Reviews: 692
2.54/5  rDev -43.2%

I have yet to have a single beer from The Bruery that I felt had warranted any of the hype that the beer and brewery had generated, and Black Tuesday really was no different. It falls into the same vein of so many other barrel aged stouts in that it has that similar coca-cola taste that far too many brewers shoot for. The body is too thin, the taste is overly sweet, the heat picks up in an unsettling manner as it warms, the smell is cloying instead of engaging, and I've already explained the taste.

Please, folks, don't judge this on the difficulty you had getting a bottle, or the hype that everyone else spouts. Instead, take a step back and compare it to other BA stouts. It isn't special, and it doesn't distinguish itself when you set it with other world-class offerings.

Thankfully I did not pay or trade for this, but unfortunately a friend of mine did. Neither of us will make the mistake of looking for this again.

2.68/5  rDev -40%

2009 Vintage.

Am I supposed to eat this, or drink this? Does this stuff go into my car? Is it safe to consume? This thing is pitch black with no head unless I give it swirl, and the beer coats the glass a little bit like wine instead of leaving actual lacing.

What the hell? The same questions I asked before come to mind when I smell this. Fire, chocolate and whiskey. Strange combo.

My nose is on fire. Maybe it's my throat. I can't tell, but it's hot. I can feel all of my nose hairs. They burn. If you could see my face, it would say "grimace." I'm pretty sure this wasn't meant for me to drink, but I can't seem to chew it either. What is it? I taste wood, whiskey, chocolate, molasses, dark fruits and loads of dark malt, but mostly I just taste alcohol. Burning, nose-hair-melting, fusel fire.

Mouthfeel: Chewing on a mildly spicy pepper?

This thing is unique and complex, but it's also a sticky, jumbled mess. I don't want to try this one again.

2.71/5  rDev -39.4%

Apperance: Pours out a sludgy dark brown. Just a wisp of dark brown head forms, which has basically no head retention or lacing. To be expected. Some carbonation is apparent on the edges of the glass.

Smell: Initial smell is of booze and intense sweetness. Some barrel is in there too. Not getting much else.

Taste: Intense milk chocolate sweetness up front, very cloying. A bit of barrel shows. Rest of the back end is mostly pure rubbing alcohol. Finish is cloying and messy.

Mouthfeel/Overall: Very thick on the palate initially with appropriate carbonation. Again, finish is super hot and messy which retracts. Overall, I did not like this beer and won't seek it out. All hype. Super boozy and sweet with no balance.

2.72/5  rDev -39.1%

2.75/5  rDev -38.5%

[Bottle] shared by tytoanderso. Pours a not very viscous looking black with a quickly dissipating tan head. Aroma is very sweet, and I actually get some cabernet sauvignon, touch of smokiness, oddly a touch of tartness, strong alcohol, chocolate, light soy sauce, and, of course, alcohol. Ungodly sweet, but the alcohol manages to dilute it a little bit, kind of tastes like syrup without the thick gooey texture, amazing alcohol presence, roasted malt, not too much else. Really lacks the complexity that something like the Hunapu's has and the subtlety that the Narke has.

2.76/5  rDev -38.3%

'11 bottle. Thanks for bringing this exitmusic00. I've been curious in trying this after having Chocolate Rain Batch 1.

A- Pours a deep black with a thin mocha head that leaves no lacing behind.

S- Harsh alcohol, dark fruit including prunes and raisins and some sugary sweetness. The 18% is making itself known.

T- Bourbon hits the palate followed by loads of candied sugar, roasted malt, prune juice, raisins and black cherry. Damn, this is incredibly sweet and is pretty much diabetes in a bottle. Really no balance or complexity for that matter. Maybe some chocolate and caramel, but the alcohol and sugar overpower pretty much any flavor.

M- Medium carbonation and a syrupy body with the heat lingering on.

O- It's amazing how undrinkable this beer was. Way too much sugary sweetness paired with the harsh booziness. It was a chore to drink 3 ounces. The hype behind this and Chocolate Rain confuse me as both are just hot boozy messes.

2.95/5  rDev -34%

Bottle shared by Fiver29. Thanks John.

Pours pitch black with a decent brown head. Has the look of Motor oil, or a very thick milkshake. Aroma of sherry, chocolate, coffee and some booze. I don't get any barrel. Flavor is pretty much the same - chocolate, sherry and coffee - but it has an odd, twangy sour finish that wasn't appealing. The best thing about the beer was the body, nice and thick. Not very drinkable, but ok in small doses.

This is a very average beer, nothing special.

2.97/5  rDev -33.6%

2010 Bottle

A - A fair amount of carbonation bubbles for the ABV. Certainly worthy of it's black title.

S - Mildly diluted rubbing alcohol.

T - Sugary black licorice. Alcohol vaporizes in your nose as you sip. Lip lingeringly sweet. Boozey but not overwhelming.

M - Thick. Smooth. Very little carbonation.

D - Sip sip sip. Quickly becomes fatiguing.

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for sharing.

2.98/5  rDev -33.3%

Tap at The Bruery barrel room for the RBSG Grand Tasting. Thanks to Patrick Rue and the gang. A pleasure meeting you all. Pours a deep brune, thick tan head erupts. Nose is thick, sweet tomato paste; bourbon, maple, whoppers candies, vanilla extract. Taste is very sweet, whooo, that is a sweet one. Maple, booze, vanilla try to save something that is overloaded with sweetness from the alcohol level as the brewers are telling me this one actually attenuates very low. So the perceived sugar is really just the abv. I thought the Chocolate Rain felt a little less sweet than this one. The finish on this is also pretty hot unlike the CR. 7/24/2012 7/4/5/3/12=3.1

Had to adjust my rating here. The fact that this is a really good beer is completely overshadowed by a pretentious, conceited brewery with rude employees. Unfortunate, but that kind of pretentious nonsense is repulsive to me. Lots of great beers out there, enjoy it if you want, then move on...it is not all it is made to be. Overpriced...

Enjoyed a bottle of this with my brother on 19 April 12. We chilled the beer for a while, but probably cooled it down a little more than we should have. I prefer some of these bigger stouts with a slight chill, and sometimes close to or right at room temperature. This beer started out really strong on alcohol...the alcohol almost overpowered the flavor and taste of the beer. We probably took about 25-30 minutes to go through the bottle, and by the time it warmed up closer to room temp it was getting really, really good. The last sips were the best. I have another bottle of BT and will be drinking it a lot closer to room temp (60 degrees or so).

A: pitch black
S: Licorice, alcohol, figs, molasses
T: See above, at cooler temps alcohol smothers underlying flavors, takes away from the beer
M: silky smooth, very thick
O: really nice...can't wait to enjoy another!!

Black Tuesday from The Bruery