Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2015: 19.9% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 661 | Ratings: 3,708
4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Sampled with RandomBattle and some others on a NY trip home:

Appearance - there is no head whatsoever on this beer, very reddish brown in color, like the color of dark leather

Smell - vanilla, and bourbon. Very enjoyable, probably one of the best smelling BA Stouts

Taste - Wow this beer will creep up on you. With such a smooth taste I can imagine downing more than I realize when that ABV hits me. Lots of dark fruits, sweet molasses and a bit of vanilla towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Considering the style, its pretty thin, not the huge chunky mess that some other stouts have become at this point. However, I think it did work out pretty well considering its drinkability.

Overall - great beer, I realize its very hyped but I'm impressed with what I got when I got to try it

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I brought this bottle and shared it with friends at beerloco's house on New Years Day.

Appearance: First off let me mention that the appearance experience really starts when you look at the bottle. It's one sexy label. Beer pours opaque with 2 fingers of tan foam that shows some retention and lots of lace.

Smell: Loads of bourbon, molasses, cocoa powder, deep roasted malts (20 of them to be precise!) Really pungent and really impressive. The nose makes you want to just dive right in to the tasting :)

Taste: Huge flavors that are blended extremely well in my opinion. The 19.5% abv pulls a Jimmy Hoffa on you, as it's nowhere to be found! I mean come on, how do you conceal 19.5% alcohol so well? I'm impressed. Loads of bourbon, roasted malt, vanilla, molasses, and perhaps a touch of brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: This one is thick and syrupy but comes off so creamy! Don't let the thickness perturb you as this beer is smooth!

Drinkability: If it wasn't for the well hidden 19.5% abv I'd give this one a 5.0 for this category as well. The flavor profile is great, the mouthfeel fantastic, and you just want more of it each time you sip it!

Believe the Hype!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap back when Provisions had tasters.
Poured a pretty thick looking black with a small light tan colored head that fades into a lasting ring that leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma is everything I could want in a stout. Bourbon with big roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, and vanilla. The taste is almost as good with lots of creamy chocolate, coffee, vanilla and roastiness the bourbon and alcohol also incorporate. Its got a creamy full body with light carbonation and a bit of heat, very enjoyable for a big stout. Would drink over and over /10

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my homies rhertan and RJ for my first BT, most recently again tried with youradhere

A:Poured a big jet black with good carbonation and a brown head.

S: Nose is booze, cocoa, black licorice, hint of vanila and coffee.

T: Up, down, round and round. Every time I sipped it I picked a new note. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, toasted grains, liquorice, vanilla, coffee, wood. End is sharp, bitter and dry but complex. Booze is well masked.

M: Big feel, well carbonated, lots of taste.
Creamy and hot..pervert..
O: Drinkability is well, good. For the style it is awesome but man is it hot n heavy by the numbers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottle: Had this with a few friends for a Christmas party... All I can say is how much hedonism can you fit into a bottle? At least that's what my notes said. Big chocolate syrup notes, dark fruit, coffee and unsweetened cocoa powder. The mouthfeel is silky and immense, It was almost hard to drink between the three of us, at least it would have been if it wasn't so delicious. That being said, this beer is probably the most extreme examples of a stout there can be, and definitely worth picking up and sharing with some good friends.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours lighter than expected, but still damn near black in color. Chocolately brown colors in the body near the edges with a very small head, that is more of a thin film on the top of the beer.

S- Big notes of sweet vanilla and bourbon right up front. The booze hits next on the nose with an oaky spiciness and plenty of heat. Dark malts, including coffee, chocolate, and burnt malts finish out the scent with a sweetness mixing in with oaky spiciness.

T- Starts off with a sweet bang of chocolate and vanilla flavors. Oak flavors and bourbon come next with some burn, but not as much as one would think. Creamy chocolate flavors come right after the burning sensation. Last flavor on the tongue at the end here is a blend of sweet and spicy chocolate and bourbon.

M- Thick, creamy, and boozey all the way through the drink, but surprisingly easy drinking and doesn't quite feel as strong as the label says. This will definitely put you under the table, but is so smooth and silky, it is almost a welcome feeling.

Overall, this is a great beer, but I'm not sure it is worth the price tag and the effort to procure. Still, a great beer that I would seek out and drink again.

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Pour at a tasting. Dark thick black body. Big Sweet aroma. Wow, huge big sweet chocolate taste. Tastes like a chocolate covered caramel. So good. After warming up a bit though, that big 19.2% alcohol burn starts to be noticeable.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

My second review of the great Black Tuesday. This time out of a bottle. largadeer was kind enough to share this awesome rarity - thanks a lot, Chris!

A - Well, it's black. I was really expecting more of a light golden-straw color. Huge disappointment when I realized this was a -bal aged imperial stout rather than an American adjunct lager. Can't win 'em all I guess.

S - Aroma did not wow me as much as before. In fact, this is the one area that this beer fell short. To be frank (as in candid, not hot dog), Cigar City Hunahpus, Marshal Zhukov, and -bal aged 110k+OT, which I had before this, smelled considerably better. I mean it has nice chocolate, roast, bourbon, and vanilla, but I also got a bit of soy sauce that was a little reminiscent of Sam Adams Triple Bock. Don't get me wrong, it smelled better than average, but there are a lot better imperial stouts in this category out there.

T - Well, once again, it's amazing, and I've got to give it a 5 here. Rich chocolate, molasses, roasted malt, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, a little dark fruit - it's all in there. Lasts a long time and does not disappoint in the least. Not much booze at all, but the 19.5% does hit you later. Had about an ounce of a Black Tuesday/Utopias blend also and it was incredible.

M - Thick and viscous with medium-low carbonation, just the right level for this beer. Not syrupy or cloying like you'd think it might be. Booze is there, and you can sense that this is very strong, but not nearly as strong as you'd expect for the ABV.

D - Finished my glass incredibly quickly. Way, way too easy to drink. This was at the end of a large tasting, and the BT sent me over the edge. Still have a headache from it as I write this.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle. Thanks for the trade Whatsarezaf! October 2011 release. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours dead black with a mere wisp of tan head around the edges. Zero lace.

Smells of booze right off the bat. Bourbon, roasty malt, cocoa, dried dark fruit, vanilla and caramel.

In a word- delicious! Bourbon, cocoa, vanilla, roast malt, dark fruits, wood and raw sugar. Booze is there the whole time, as expected with over 18% alcohol. Mighty tasty.

Thick syrupy feel with mild carbonation. Phenol alcoholic cooling effect. Lingering sweet bourbon aftertaste.

One of the best barrel aged stouts I've had. Drinks as easily as a stout with half the alcohol. Thick, sweet and complex. I very much want more.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

I had this at a bottle share a few weeks ago. Its is a big-boys beer. It reeks of booze but is drinkable and tastes lighter than something like a bourbon county.I wouldn't exactly say this is an enjoyable beer that I'd drink time and time again, but its one good way to have a nice night-

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Type: 750-ml bottle (25.4 oz.)
Glass: AleSmith Barrel-Aged Reserve snifter glass
From: The Bruery in Placentia, Calif.
Price: $25.99
Purchased: N/A; Received on Nov. 8, 2015
Consumed: June 10, 2016
Misc.: Bottled on Aug. 25, 2015; 2015 version (19.9 pct. ABV)

To say that I was excited to have this was the understatement of the century. I can’t think of a beer I’ve wanted to try more than Black Tuesday. A big thanks to Chris for letting my buy one of his bottles. This is going to be good.

Poured a black color with two fingers of fizzy tan head. Serene setting underneath. Decent spotty lacing. Decent retention. (Sight - 3.50)

Smelled sugary milk chocolate, smooth bourbon, toffee, caramel, dry cocoa, chocolate syrup, crayon, licorice, hints of molasses, figs, dark raisins and dark plum. Got boozier each whiff. (Smell - 4.50)

First taste was just awesome, definitely warming all the way down to my gut. Got sugary chocolate syrup, milk chocolate, rich caramel, creamy toffee, smooth bourbon, molasses, black licorice, creamy espresso vanilla and light woody oak. Huge warmth in my throat. Drinks like a port dessert wine or some other complex red wine. This is warm, but not super hot. Definitely drinkable. Amazing. (Taste - 4.75)

Full body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Long, surprisingly smooth finish. Perfect. (Feel - 5.00)

This was just incredible. Might be my favorite beer ever, knowing that Pliny the Elder and Younger might come down a tad once I rate them again. (Overall - 4.75)

4.64 | 100 | A+

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into snifter. Reviewing a 2013 bottle on 10/24/14.

A: Pours dark black with less than a finger of khaki head. The head is very thin and reduces very quickly to practically no collar.
S: Strong aroma of bourbon, chocolate, coffee, molasses, and a fairly pungent alcohol burn. In the back I get dark fruits, vanilla, and roast. Needless to say there's a lot going on here. The heat is not a surprise, but still worth mentioning.
T: The chocolate and bourbon are what I get as the boldest flavors. Fading in the background are vanilla, coffee, molasses, and roasted malts. At 18.9%, I expected something complex and bold, and this delivers. Very enjoyable, and as a bourbon fan, I have to say this bring the bourbon notes along very well.
M: Moderately low carb level, but high enough to keep from calling it syrupy. Leaves a very sweet after taste that helps cover up the heat.
O: This is a delicious beer, one that I'd recommend to any craft beer nerd who is also into bourbon ( which is almost every craft beer nerd I know). Lots of heat going on as expected, but the aroma and flavor pack the punch to make this an all around enjoyable beer.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Pours a deep brown color with garnet highlights, with almost no head or carbonation. Heavy aroma of Raisinets (and I love Raisinets), along with notes of port wine and a good dose of booze.
Palate is big, rich, and luxurious. Up front, huge notes of dark fruit (fig and prune), maple, and honey. Chocolate, port wine, and a bit of roasted malt follow, with a long, sweet, maple finish.
Body is thick and rich, and just a touch sticky. Holds the flavors really well, the perfect vessel for the ridiculous complexity of this beer. Just phenomenal.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Review from memory, unfortunately. 2013 bottle served in a Duvel tulip. Got the bottle in a Reddit beer trade and split it with a friend. Served slightly cool, not sure of exact temperature.

A- Pours a very dark brown, which is much lighter and clearer than I expected. Pretty much no head.

S- Boozey nose, but that's expected. Rich and oakey.

T- Woahhh bourbon all the way through. Sweet vanilla and chocolate notes down to the burn from the booze. This beer is huge in every way. Almost a little spice character in there along with lots of dark fruits.

M- Thick and velvety, rather than aggressive. Light carbonation.

O- This beer was just a pleasure to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2009 Bottle: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass and was motor oil pitch black in color with a creamy 1 finger brown head that faded slowly and left decent lacing; wasn't sure what to expect after cutting off the wax, and this beer looked mean as it poured - like the heartless souls of Wall Street dumped into a glass.

The aroma was all business and very impressive; starts off with a whiff of bourbon and then meanders into dark fruit like plum, dates and raisin, molasses, chocolate, cocoa, burnt grains, coffee grinds, brown sugar, toasted malt, vanilla, toffee and something else sweet which I can't put my finger on because the alcohol presence seems to come in waves. This defines the imperial stout aroma to me, as the bourbon barrel aging is so evident that this feels like an after dinner dink. This is super sweet and powerful in every sense, but yet somehow still alluring and pleasant to inhale. Exactly what I hoped for in the odor and I am psyched to have this bottle all to myself as this smells spectacular.

Tastes like it smells, with bourbon, dark fruit like plum, dates and raisin, molasses, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa, burnt grains, coffee grinds, brown sugar, toasted malt, toffee, smoked/burnt wood, red wine, dates, and an overall sweetness that pushes your taste buds to the limit in a good way. The alcohol heat is evident and lets you know it's there, but somehow manages to blend in nicely with the bourbon and malt sweetness which is at an extreme level and took on some of the barrel woody notes. There might be some hops in here, but they are so overwhelmed that they were not present to me; the lack of hops didn't matter much as this flavor is so incredible it wouldn't matter what was used since this is so complex and tasty - wow, just a great beer. This flavor is for anyone who likes stouts, bourbon and getting fucked up.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick considering the ABV heat that burns as it goes down and then warms your insides in a peaceful manner; this is a chewy stout that has a heavy body and a real rich feel as the weighty ingredients make for a beer that is dynamic and robust, and gets you wasted all at the same time.

Kept this for a year and then opened it today to enjoy it's earthly pleasures; slow sipper is an understatement, I nursed this bomber. Outstanding taste and beer experience, this was delicious and while it messed me up from the high ABV, I enjoyed each and every sip of this world class brew. I highly recommend this beer and advise everyone to grab a bottle if they can.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Got a chance to try this awesome beast thanks to ShogoKawada's trading prowess and our "Rush Hour Tasting" of epic magnitudes. I had to back log a bunch of beers so I could write this up for my 200th review as I'm trying to do something epic for each centennial review. My review will be a little less in depth as usual as I was truing to scribble little notes into my notebook and enjoy/savor the awesomeness of the beer at the same time.

A: Super dark rich thick heavy pitch black color. Pours like molasses almost. A light head and carbonation.

N: Nose is loaded with chocolate up the wazzoo, and I'm talkin all kinds of chocolate, bakers chocolate, mild chocolate, dark chocolate, malted chocolate. Some bourbon and oak make their way through it's lusciousness. A little boozy on the nose, but not close to what I would expect for 19.5%. It adds some malty aromas, but not overwhelming.

T: Taste just blows it away. Is so rich and thick. Very sweet with some maple and molasses and a huge malty sweetness. Some bourbon flavor permeates, but doesn't overpower like the chocolate and sweetness. Which brings me to the chocolate. Again, just about every chocolate you can dream of coming out the taste of this. It adds a nice stoutty flavor too with more earthy charred malt flavor. Add some roasted malts to it and you got a nice mix going. Still somewhat boozy but not what you would expect for 19.5%. As it warms more alcohol comes out a bit, the sweetness lessens, your mouth gets used to the chocolate, and some fruity qualities come out. Even a touch of toasted coconut comes through, as well as some fig and plum maybe.

M: So rich and thick my mouth is partying thinking it died and went to beer heaven. It's like liquid velvet blended with the smooth skin of a baby's ass. Some warming alcohol, but not overbearing.

F: Finish is still very sweet, although it seems to lessen on sweetness as it warms but ups the boozy taste. Although I would still put this beer at 10-12% abv so this blend really hides it well. Some bitterness comes out on the finish probably a combination of some hidden hops as well as the earthiness of the starched malts and stout like qualities.

This beer basically lived up to the awesome hype. I was a little worried that it wouldn't, and we all wanted it to bomb out so we could downgrade the score. Instead it did the opposite and made is happy but sad at the same time. I would love to see how this does with a few more years under it's belt. I hope they continue to make batches of this and make higher quantities. The only difficult part of it was the sweetness that was a little overbearing at times, and it was hard to finish, even slowly, but that just pushes the sipping aspect of it, which is very thankful as it masks the 19.5% so well you could just put it back much easier otherwise.

Here goes...

Appearance is surprisingly good, usually when you get this high into ABV you are looking at near stillness. This is black as can be with a very nice head and lacing.

Scent is just fantastic. Nowhere near as boozy as some several percentage points less. Rasins, other dark fruits, bourbon, vanilla, and maple syrup hit me as I opened the bottle.

Taste, while not nearly as boozy as several beers with quite a bit less alcohol, is still a tad on the boozy side, which I feel is the only thing keeping this from a perfect 5. The dark fruits and a sweet maple presence make themselves known, along with the vanilla, smoke, light wood.

Mouth is just great, a great level of carbonation that I would consider medium level overall, and a pretty suitably thick feel.

Overall, this is a really incredible achievement in the style. Managing to get the ABV this high, and having it not taste like rocket fuel and fire, LET ALONE having it taste damn good in the process, is just amazing.

Review #600

Poured into a mini snifter glass.

Pours a small tan head. Decent retention for the small layer. Color is pretty much black, but around the edges it is has copper hue to it.

Aroma: Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, raisins, cherries, plums. It smells hot, but very nice.

Taste: A little hot off the top. Lots of bourbon. It's not bad fore the high abv. Vanilla, oak, and tons of dark dried fruits: raisins, cherries, and plums. Chocolate and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: A little hot, huge malty beer. A little creamy as well. Full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. I was told this beer had no heat with it, but it brings a lot to the table, granted that it should, being 19.5%.

EDIT: After being able to drink a lot more of this beer at the Bruery, I have to adjust my scores. This beer is really amazing and I wanted to keep drinking it. Superb.

Overall, this beer is good, but I can see it getting a lot better with age on it. People claim that the abv doesn't show at all, well I am going to have to call that a lie. There is definitely a fair amount of heat showing in this beer. I will be reevaluating this beer once I get to try it again with some age on it.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Thanks gford217 for bringing this to the amazing tasting at Brick Store Pub last night. Also much thanks goes out to portia99 and sonicdescent for generously hooking me up with bottles. What a treat!
Thick and syrupy pour into a tasting glass - appearance is black with a thin dark brown head.
Smell is heavy on the bourbon but there is also so much chocolate, vanilla and molasses.
Taste is amazing - there is so much going on that it's hard to pinpoint all the flavors. There is obviously a lot of bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla, but in the background there is brown sugar, tobacco, leather, dark fruits (plum, cherry), coffee.
Mouthfeel is exceptional - it's so thick that it coats the mouth very well, and the creaminess is wonderful.
Drinkability is high considering it's over 19% ABV - that is hidden very well. However, I don't think I could drink more than 8 oz of this beer in one sitting. This is a beer meant for tastings since 4oz is plenty.
Overall, this is an exceptional barrel aged stout and one of my favorites now.

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. Simply an amazing beer.aroma is strong of booze and bourbon. Looks dark as night and black as death. Tastes like sweetness mixed with goodness and love. Heavy on the notes of barrel and vanilla but really couldn't discern much bourbon. Amazing and really unique. This is what world wide stout wishes it was like. Much thanks to steveb24 for sharing

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle (quick notes)

Appearance - Black, with a ruby hue around edges. Little to no head. There is no lacing, rather legs, like wine. It looks intimidating almost.

Aroma - Raisin, bourbon (vanilla and burnt oak), prunes, and a touch of chocolate.

Taste - Chocolate, anise, raisin, prune, vanilla, oak, bourbon. The flavors all are there separately, and distinguishable.

Mouthfeel - Burn! Sweet, smooth burn!

Overall - This guy's HUGE! It's complex as hell, but intriguing all the way through. This was fresh as of a month or so. I think it needs at least a full year or two to mellow and mature.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Much thanks to kzoobrew for bring this one to the tasting!

A - For a small (4-5oz pour) there was a significant amount of tan head on top of the dark black base. Head dissipates slowly, and then a syrupy viscosity coats the glass.

S - Booze. It dominates. Hints of chocolate and brown sugar. Overall, the tone is booze and sweet.

T - Highly bourbon, but shockingly smooth for the high abv. Some chocolate around in the middle, and some interesting fruit tones in the end that are a bit difficult to pick out. Wonderful.

M - Exactly what you want from a big bodied stout. Its entirely full and creamy, and coats the mouth.

D - My wife could not finish hers (too boozy), so my 5ozs turned to around 9ozs. After that much, I was done, but the booze began to dominate. I dinged it a couple points just because of that.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%

Pitch black and minimal cream head. Booze/bourbon, chocolate aroma. Delicious taste. Chocolate, sweet, bourbon. Mouthfeel is syrupy, but just short of thick. Remarkably smooth for 18%, with a very bold chocolate smooth taste.

Black Tuesday is one-of-a-kind. That said, World Wide Stout scratches the same itch, IMO, and WWS is so much easier to get. But don't get me wrong -- Black Tuesday is without a doubt the superior beer. So incredibly smooth for 18%.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Near black with no head and minimal, thin lacing--but pretty understandable considering the booze in this thing

S: Lots of bourbon, oak, booze, dark fruits, roasted malts; this smells so hot--so boozy and sweet and yet incredible

T: Wow, that is boozy--so much bourbon and oak and dark fruits but man does it all mingle so well together; this beer will probably age really well but it is so damn good fresh

F: Viscous, thick, syrupy, awesome mouth feel

O: This is an amazing beer--it is so boozy but some dark fruits and roasty malts do linger making this a world class beer: one of my favorites

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black Tuesday pours, well, black, with a thin and wispy beige head that recedes to a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Thick, vinous legs on this one, too. The aromas are intense: heavy, heavy alcohol presence that's a lot like straight bourbon (though the alcohol aroma settled substantially as the beer warmed up); dark red fruit like raisins and cherries; chocolate; and a very nice oaky vanilla. Flavors are a dream: sweet, booze-drenched chocolate; spicy alcohol heat; caramelized brown sugar; vanilla marshmallows; more vanilla and molasses; more of those dark red fruits; and a faint char or roastiness on the finish. There's almost a sherry- or port-like flavor to Black Tuesday, which transforms this beer into one fit not only for mortals, but also for the gods. Mouthfeel is not thin, but not as viscous as I was expecting. It's just smooth, substantial, and exactly right for what's going on with the flavors. There's definitely a bit of alcohol burn, but this seemed to dissipate as the beer warmed up.

Overall, Black Tuesday is one of the best straight BA stouts I've ever had, maybe slightly ahead of BCBS and slightly behind the king of the roost, Parabola. The flavors are rich, complex, and hard to capture adequately with words. If you're a BA stout fan, you'll love this one.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery