Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 688 | Ratings: 3,847
4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

My second review of the great Black Tuesday. This time out of a bottle. largadeer was kind enough to share this awesome rarity - thanks a lot, Chris!

A - Well, it's black. I was really expecting more of a light golden-straw color. Huge disappointment when I realized this was a -bal aged imperial stout rather than an American adjunct lager. Can't win 'em all I guess.

S - Aroma did not wow me as much as before. In fact, this is the one area that this beer fell short. To be frank (as in candid, not hot dog), Cigar City Hunahpus, Marshal Zhukov, and -bal aged 110k+OT, which I had before this, smelled considerably better. I mean it has nice chocolate, roast, bourbon, and vanilla, but I also got a bit of soy sauce that was a little reminiscent of Sam Adams Triple Bock. Don't get me wrong, it smelled better than average, but there are a lot better imperial stouts in this category out there.

T - Well, once again, it's amazing, and I've got to give it a 5 here. Rich chocolate, molasses, roasted malt, caramel, bourbon, vanilla, a little dark fruit - it's all in there. Lasts a long time and does not disappoint in the least. Not much booze at all, but the 19.5% does hit you later. Had about an ounce of a Black Tuesday/Utopias blend also and it was incredible.

M - Thick and viscous with medium-low carbonation, just the right level for this beer. Not syrupy or cloying like you'd think it might be. Booze is there, and you can sense that this is very strong, but not nearly as strong as you'd expect for the ABV.

D - Finished my glass incredibly quickly. Way, way too easy to drink. This was at the end of a large tasting, and the BT sent me over the edge. Still have a headache from it as I write this.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750mL bottle. Thanks for the trade Whatsarezaf! October 2011 release. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours dead black with a mere wisp of tan head around the edges. Zero lace.

Smells of booze right off the bat. Bourbon, roasty malt, cocoa, dried dark fruit, vanilla and caramel.

In a word- delicious! Bourbon, cocoa, vanilla, roast malt, dark fruits, wood and raw sugar. Booze is there the whole time, as expected with over 18% alcohol. Mighty tasty.

Thick syrupy feel with mild carbonation. Phenol alcoholic cooling effect. Lingering sweet bourbon aftertaste.

One of the best barrel aged stouts I've had. Drinks as easily as a stout with half the alcohol. Thick, sweet and complex. I very much want more.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

I had this at a bottle share a few weeks ago. Its is a big-boys beer. It reeks of booze but is drinkable and tastes lighter than something like a bourbon county.I wouldn't exactly say this is an enjoyable beer that I'd drink time and time again, but its one good way to have a nice night-

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Type: 750-ml bottle (25.4 oz.)
Glass: AleSmith Barrel-Aged Reserve snifter glass
From: The Bruery in Placentia, Calif.
Price: $25.99
Purchased: N/A; Received on Nov. 8, 2015
Consumed: June 10, 2016
Misc.: Bottled on Aug. 25, 2015; 2015 version (19.9 pct. ABV)

To say that I was excited to have this was the understatement of the century. I can’t think of a beer I’ve wanted to try more than Black Tuesday. A big thanks to Chris for letting my buy one of his bottles. This is going to be good.

Poured a black color with two fingers of fizzy tan head. Serene setting underneath. Decent spotty lacing. Decent retention. (Sight - 3.50)

Smelled sugary milk chocolate, smooth bourbon, toffee, caramel, dry cocoa, chocolate syrup, crayon, licorice, hints of molasses, figs, dark raisins and dark plum. Got boozier each whiff. (Smell - 4.50)

First taste was just awesome, definitely warming all the way down to my gut. Got sugary chocolate syrup, milk chocolate, rich caramel, creamy toffee, smooth bourbon, molasses, black licorice, creamy espresso vanilla and light woody oak. Huge warmth in my throat. Drinks like a port dessert wine or some other complex red wine. This is warm, but not super hot. Definitely drinkable. Amazing. (Taste - 4.75)

Full body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Long, surprisingly smooth finish. Perfect. (Feel - 5.00)

This was just incredible. Might be my favorite beer ever, knowing that Pliny the Elder and Younger might come down a tad once I rate them again. (Overall - 4.75)

4.64 | 100 | A+

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into snifter. Reviewing a 2013 bottle on 10/24/14.

A: Pours dark black with less than a finger of khaki head. The head is very thin and reduces very quickly to practically no collar.
S: Strong aroma of bourbon, chocolate, coffee, molasses, and a fairly pungent alcohol burn. In the back I get dark fruits, vanilla, and roast. Needless to say there's a lot going on here. The heat is not a surprise, but still worth mentioning.
T: The chocolate and bourbon are what I get as the boldest flavors. Fading in the background are vanilla, coffee, molasses, and roasted malts. At 18.9%, I expected something complex and bold, and this delivers. Very enjoyable, and as a bourbon fan, I have to say this bring the bourbon notes along very well.
M: Moderately low carb level, but high enough to keep from calling it syrupy. Leaves a very sweet after taste that helps cover up the heat.
O: This is a delicious beer, one that I'd recommend to any craft beer nerd who is also into bourbon ( which is almost every craft beer nerd I know). Lots of heat going on as expected, but the aroma and flavor pack the punch to make this an all around enjoyable beer.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Pours a deep brown color with garnet highlights, with almost no head or carbonation. Heavy aroma of Raisinets (and I love Raisinets), along with notes of port wine and a good dose of booze.
Palate is big, rich, and luxurious. Up front, huge notes of dark fruit (fig and prune), maple, and honey. Chocolate, port wine, and a bit of roasted malt follow, with a long, sweet, maple finish.
Body is thick and rich, and just a touch sticky. Holds the flavors really well, the perfect vessel for the ridiculous complexity of this beer. Just phenomenal.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Review from memory, unfortunately. 2013 bottle served in a Duvel tulip. Got the bottle in a Reddit beer trade and split it with a friend. Served slightly cool, not sure of exact temperature.

A- Pours a very dark brown, which is much lighter and clearer than I expected. Pretty much no head.

S- Boozey nose, but that's expected. Rich and oakey.

T- Woahhh bourbon all the way through. Sweet vanilla and chocolate notes down to the burn from the booze. This beer is huge in every way. Almost a little spice character in there along with lots of dark fruits.

M- Thick and velvety, rather than aggressive. Light carbonation.

O- This beer was just a pleasure to drink.

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2009 Bottle: Poured into a Duvel tulip glass and was motor oil pitch black in color with a creamy 1 finger brown head that faded slowly and left decent lacing; wasn't sure what to expect after cutting off the wax, and this beer looked mean as it poured - like the heartless souls of Wall Street dumped into a glass.

The aroma was all business and very impressive; starts off with a whiff of bourbon and then meanders into dark fruit like plum, dates and raisin, molasses, chocolate, cocoa, burnt grains, coffee grinds, brown sugar, toasted malt, vanilla, toffee and something else sweet which I can't put my finger on because the alcohol presence seems to come in waves. This defines the imperial stout aroma to me, as the bourbon barrel aging is so evident that this feels like an after dinner dink. This is super sweet and powerful in every sense, but yet somehow still alluring and pleasant to inhale. Exactly what I hoped for in the odor and I am psyched to have this bottle all to myself as this smells spectacular.

Tastes like it smells, with bourbon, dark fruit like plum, dates and raisin, molasses, chocolate, vanilla, cocoa, burnt grains, coffee grinds, brown sugar, toasted malt, toffee, smoked/burnt wood, red wine, dates, and an overall sweetness that pushes your taste buds to the limit in a good way. The alcohol heat is evident and lets you know it's there, but somehow manages to blend in nicely with the bourbon and malt sweetness which is at an extreme level and took on some of the barrel woody notes. There might be some hops in here, but they are so overwhelmed that they were not present to me; the lack of hops didn't matter much as this flavor is so incredible it wouldn't matter what was used since this is so complex and tasty - wow, just a great beer. This flavor is for anyone who likes stouts, bourbon and getting fucked up.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slick considering the ABV heat that burns as it goes down and then warms your insides in a peaceful manner; this is a chewy stout that has a heavy body and a real rich feel as the weighty ingredients make for a beer that is dynamic and robust, and gets you wasted all at the same time.

Kept this for a year and then opened it today to enjoy it's earthly pleasures; slow sipper is an understatement, I nursed this bomber. Outstanding taste and beer experience, this was delicious and while it messed me up from the high ABV, I enjoyed each and every sip of this world class brew. I highly recommend this beer and advise everyone to grab a bottle if they can.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Got a chance to try this awesome beast thanks to ShogoKawada's trading prowess and our "Rush Hour Tasting" of epic magnitudes. I had to back log a bunch of beers so I could write this up for my 200th review as I'm trying to do something epic for each centennial review. My review will be a little less in depth as usual as I was truing to scribble little notes into my notebook and enjoy/savor the awesomeness of the beer at the same time.

A: Super dark rich thick heavy pitch black color. Pours like molasses almost. A light head and carbonation.

N: Nose is loaded with chocolate up the wazzoo, and I'm talkin all kinds of chocolate, bakers chocolate, mild chocolate, dark chocolate, malted chocolate. Some bourbon and oak make their way through it's lusciousness. A little boozy on the nose, but not close to what I would expect for 19.5%. It adds some malty aromas, but not overwhelming.

T: Taste just blows it away. Is so rich and thick. Very sweet with some maple and molasses and a huge malty sweetness. Some bourbon flavor permeates, but doesn't overpower like the chocolate and sweetness. Which brings me to the chocolate. Again, just about every chocolate you can dream of coming out the taste of this. It adds a nice stoutty flavor too with more earthy charred malt flavor. Add some roasted malts to it and you got a nice mix going. Still somewhat boozy but not what you would expect for 19.5%. As it warms more alcohol comes out a bit, the sweetness lessens, your mouth gets used to the chocolate, and some fruity qualities come out. Even a touch of toasted coconut comes through, as well as some fig and plum maybe.

M: So rich and thick my mouth is partying thinking it died and went to beer heaven. It's like liquid velvet blended with the smooth skin of a baby's ass. Some warming alcohol, but not overbearing.

F: Finish is still very sweet, although it seems to lessen on sweetness as it warms but ups the boozy taste. Although I would still put this beer at 10-12% abv so this blend really hides it well. Some bitterness comes out on the finish probably a combination of some hidden hops as well as the earthiness of the starched malts and stout like qualities.

This beer basically lived up to the awesome hype. I was a little worried that it wouldn't, and we all wanted it to bomb out so we could downgrade the score. Instead it did the opposite and made is happy but sad at the same time. I would love to see how this does with a few more years under it's belt. I hope they continue to make batches of this and make higher quantities. The only difficult part of it was the sweetness that was a little overbearing at times, and it was hard to finish, even slowly, but that just pushes the sipping aspect of it, which is very thankful as it masks the 19.5% so well you could just put it back much easier otherwise.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Huge thanks to mdfb79 for gifting me this bad boy. Cheers Dan!

This was a 2012 vintage Lot 4.3 - aged approximately 3 years
Domed the full bottle – FW snifter glass - 10.06.15

The pour is dark shadowy black body without waiver. Not even some dark brown mixed in. Sits still in my glass with a only small filmy layer of dark tan foam forming over. Even it circles out to a halo rather quickly. Low on the stick factor but with some nice boozy legs to it. Tons of fudgy bourbon soaked chocolate goodness exudes from the glass. Sweet molasses, vanilla-coconut, and dark fruits. The taste is divine as all of the flavors have melded together in lavish decadence. Gourmet style chocolate with hints of coffee, toasted oak, vanilla cream, caramelized sugars, coconut, dark fruit, alcohol, and some loamy earthiness. Full bodied with a richly sleek feel. Not the smoothest beer ever but rather amazing in this moment. The alcohol is ever present and warming but without any obstruction. It actually helps cut back all the sweetness along with some moderate amount of bitterness there. With just 3 years on it this was fan-freaking-tasty! Maturity is where it’s at.

I had generally written this one off to the hype train but this has got to be one of the best dessert beers ever had.

Here goes...

Appearance is surprisingly good, usually when you get this high into ABV you are looking at near stillness. This is black as can be with a very nice head and lacing.

Scent is just fantastic. Nowhere near as boozy as some several percentage points less. Rasins, other dark fruits, bourbon, vanilla, and maple syrup hit me as I opened the bottle.

Taste, while not nearly as boozy as several beers with quite a bit less alcohol, is still a tad on the boozy side, which I feel is the only thing keeping this from a perfect 5. The dark fruits and a sweet maple presence make themselves known, along with the vanilla, smoke, light wood.

Mouth is just great, a great level of carbonation that I would consider medium level overall, and a pretty suitably thick feel.

Overall, this is a really incredible achievement in the style. Managing to get the ABV this high, and having it not taste like rocket fuel and fire, LET ALONE having it taste damn good in the process, is just amazing.

Review #600

Poured into a mini snifter glass.

Pours a small tan head. Decent retention for the small layer. Color is pretty much black, but around the edges it is has copper hue to it.

Aroma: Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, raisins, cherries, plums. It smells hot, but very nice.

Taste: A little hot off the top. Lots of bourbon. It's not bad fore the high abv. Vanilla, oak, and tons of dark dried fruits: raisins, cherries, and plums. Chocolate and earthy hops.

Mouthfeel: A little hot, huge malty beer. A little creamy as well. Full bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. I was told this beer had no heat with it, but it brings a lot to the table, granted that it should, being 19.5%.

EDIT: After being able to drink a lot more of this beer at the Bruery, I have to adjust my scores. This beer is really amazing and I wanted to keep drinking it. Superb.

Overall, this beer is good, but I can see it getting a lot better with age on it. People claim that the abv doesn't show at all, well I am going to have to call that a lie. There is definitely a fair amount of heat showing in this beer. I will be reevaluating this beer once I get to try it again with some age on it.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Thanks gford217 for bringing this to the amazing tasting at Brick Store Pub last night. Also much thanks goes out to portia99 and sonicdescent for generously hooking me up with bottles. What a treat!
Thick and syrupy pour into a tasting glass - appearance is black with a thin dark brown head.
Smell is heavy on the bourbon but there is also so much chocolate, vanilla and molasses.
Taste is amazing - there is so much going on that it's hard to pinpoint all the flavors. There is obviously a lot of bourbon, chocolate, and vanilla, but in the background there is brown sugar, tobacco, leather, dark fruits (plum, cherry), coffee.
Mouthfeel is exceptional - it's so thick that it coats the mouth very well, and the creaminess is wonderful.
Drinkability is high considering it's over 19% ABV - that is hidden very well. However, I don't think I could drink more than 8 oz of this beer in one sitting. This is a beer meant for tastings since 4oz is plenty.
Overall, this is an exceptional barrel aged stout and one of my favorites now.

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. Simply an amazing beer.aroma is strong of booze and bourbon. Looks dark as night and black as death. Tastes like sweetness mixed with goodness and love. Heavy on the notes of barrel and vanilla but really couldn't discern much bourbon. Amazing and really unique. This is what world wide stout wishes it was like. Much thanks to steveb24 for sharing

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 bottle (quick notes)

Appearance - Black, with a ruby hue around edges. Little to no head. There is no lacing, rather legs, like wine. It looks intimidating almost.

Aroma - Raisin, bourbon (vanilla and burnt oak), prunes, and a touch of chocolate.

Taste - Chocolate, anise, raisin, prune, vanilla, oak, bourbon. The flavors all are there separately, and distinguishable.

Mouthfeel - Burn! Sweet, smooth burn!

Overall - This guy's HUGE! It's complex as hell, but intriguing all the way through. This was fresh as of a month or so. I think it needs at least a full year or two to mellow and mature.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Much thanks to kzoobrew for bring this one to the tasting!

A - For a small (4-5oz pour) there was a significant amount of tan head on top of the dark black base. Head dissipates slowly, and then a syrupy viscosity coats the glass.

S - Booze. It dominates. Hints of chocolate and brown sugar. Overall, the tone is booze and sweet.

T - Highly bourbon, but shockingly smooth for the high abv. Some chocolate around in the middle, and some interesting fruit tones in the end that are a bit difficult to pick out. Wonderful.

M - Exactly what you want from a big bodied stout. Its entirely full and creamy, and coats the mouth.

D - My wife could not finish hers (too boozy), so my 5ozs turned to around 9ozs. After that much, I was done, but the booze began to dominate. I dinged it a couple points just because of that.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%

Pitch black and minimal cream head. Booze/bourbon, chocolate aroma. Delicious taste. Chocolate, sweet, bourbon. Mouthfeel is syrupy, but just short of thick. Remarkably smooth for 18%, with a very bold chocolate smooth taste.

Black Tuesday is one-of-a-kind. That said, World Wide Stout scratches the same itch, IMO, and WWS is so much easier to get. But don't get me wrong -- Black Tuesday is without a doubt the superior beer. So incredibly smooth for 18%.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Near black with no head and minimal, thin lacing--but pretty understandable considering the booze in this thing

S: Lots of bourbon, oak, booze, dark fruits, roasted malts; this smells so hot--so boozy and sweet and yet incredible

T: Wow, that is boozy--so much bourbon and oak and dark fruits but man does it all mingle so well together; this beer will probably age really well but it is so damn good fresh

F: Viscous, thick, syrupy, awesome mouth feel

O: This is an amazing beer--it is so boozy but some dark fruits and roasty malts do linger making this a world class beer: one of my favorites

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2016 version from the Bruery.

pours a dark black with little head.

dark chocolate, figs/ fruits, molasses and bourbon nose. taste is very similar- but hides the booze really well.

super excited to see how my other bottles age

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black Tuesday pours, well, black, with a thin and wispy beige head that recedes to a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Thick, vinous legs on this one, too. The aromas are intense: heavy, heavy alcohol presence that's a lot like straight bourbon (though the alcohol aroma settled substantially as the beer warmed up); dark red fruit like raisins and cherries; chocolate; and a very nice oaky vanilla. Flavors are a dream: sweet, booze-drenched chocolate; spicy alcohol heat; caramelized brown sugar; vanilla marshmallows; more vanilla and molasses; more of those dark red fruits; and a faint char or roastiness on the finish. There's almost a sherry- or port-like flavor to Black Tuesday, which transforms this beer into one fit not only for mortals, but also for the gods. Mouthfeel is not thin, but not as viscous as I was expecting. It's just smooth, substantial, and exactly right for what's going on with the flavors. There's definitely a bit of alcohol burn, but this seemed to dissipate as the beer warmed up.

Overall, Black Tuesday is one of the best straight BA stouts I've ever had, maybe slightly ahead of BCBS and slightly behind the king of the roost, Parabola. The flavors are rich, complex, and hard to capture adequately with words. If you're a BA stout fan, you'll love this one.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle pour at the Bruery Reserve Society initiation party at The Phoenix Club in Anaheim, CA.

2011 vintage.

Pours an opaque super dark brown with a tan head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is of dark roasted malt, vanilla, wood, and bourbon aromas. Taste is amazing and is of dark roasted malt, dark fruits, vanilla, wood, and bourbon. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is an exceptional stout with a fantastic barrel aged presence.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%

750 mL bottle of the 2010 vintage. It was allowed to warm a little bit, and was split between my Duvel tulip (first half) and Southampton snifter (second half).

Black Tuesday pours just like the name suggests. It might have been my imagination, but I'd swear the lights actually flickered when I cracked the bottle. The dark caramel head drew itself up to about three fingers in height, before fading away somewhat quickly, and not leaving anything in the way of lacing. I starting picking up the nose a little bit when I popped the cap and poured, but when I first leaned into the glass my nose got absolutely blasted. This thing smells rich beyond belief. It's the aroma of a decadent chocolate cake that had some bourbon added into the batter. It's pungent, and it smells great, but if there was a little bit more complexity it would be perfect. Ask and ye shall receive, because Black Tuesday absolutely crushes it flavor wise. That bombastic bourbon chocolate cake is still by far the centerpiece, but it's supplemented by sensations of dark fruit and molasses. There's a slight warming from the alcohol, but it's pleasant, and nowhere near how intense it should be for a beer its size (even after a year). The body is impossibly rich and creamy, and the carbonation is perfectly dialed in to prevent the beer from becominy syrupy, while maintaining its malt forward nature. I wouldn't change a thing. Holy hell does Black Tuesday live up to the hype. I grabbed two bottles last year, and cracked this one to see if it was worth trying to get more bottles going forward. The answer is a resounding yes!

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into my KTG Snifter. 2011 vintage.

Appeared black as night with a quickly dissipating small khaki colored head. Slightly oily in appearance.

Smelled of roasted/burnt malts, licorice, chocolate, booze-soaked plums and raisins, woods, and a bit of vanilla.

Begins with flavors of dark fruits, licorice and chocolate. Then comes in some of the barrel notes – vanilla, wood, bourbon. Finishes with some alcohol and more roasted malt flavors. Very intense, yet enjoyable.

Mouth feel is nice an coating, oily, slight carbonation. Alcohol is a bit warm but fits the intensity of this beer perfectly. Not one to be pounded.

I must say, this is fantastic. So complex, so much going on. At first the alcohol was a bit overpowering, but after drinking a glass of this you see that it fits in perfectly. I would like to try one of these with 3-4 years on it to see how it tastes a bit more blended. Wow…

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

2011 vintage, poured cold and waited until warm (ok ok, i sneaked some sips!). I have had several '10 and one '11 before, so i will try and review it with a fresh mindset

A- Pours a thick dark brown, not black motor oil ish as much as a dark brown thick bourbon. thin head reduces to a thin ring that sticks around for a long time, looks murky and menacing. Thin bubbles rise to the top like swamp water.

S- holy rich bourbon. Loads of booze and vanilla, with definite spiciness as well. Loads of oak, a bourbon blanket over rich notes of maltiness and chocolate. a little coffee as it warms up, definitely a great smelling stout under barrel.

T- Bourbon fills the mouth and the nostrils, so much sweet vanilla and chocolate. the stout really comes out as it warms, too. the bourbon is forward and warming, but smooth and not too hot. dark fruits drenched in bourbon (like those bourbon filled chocolate candies, maybe osme kind of chocolate bourbon date?). This definitely has the potential to be better with age, but is phenomenal now, some complex cinnamon and dessert favor. so good.

M- Not going to lie, this thing is warm. not a biting hot, though, a once-you-swallw-your-throat-warms-up heat that is actually quite awesome. this beer is also much thicker than it poured, ans surprisingly smooth for the alcohol.

O- incredible. The crazy thing is, I think it will actually get BETTER with age, this really is a masterpiece. Probably my favorite beer.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

The much hyped Black Tuesday shared generously by Shane. I also managed to score a bottle thanks to Weibull, thanks, Jason! While it took a while to finish this, it was anything but a chore.

Looking at this beer, I ask myself: How much blacker can a beer get? The answer, my friends, is None more black. A dense dark brown head is present, hanging around leaving some foam as it settles into a ring. Incredibly dark, this beer has gorgeous legs, the only way I was able to tell that the the alcohol might be up there.

What an exceptional nose! Rich and layerd with rich chocolate cake, vanilla and bourbon. Devoid of alcohol, this is really quite outrageous. Reminiscent of OADL. Even the chocolate character is outrageously rich - I get layers of milk and dark chocolate as well as some cocoa powder. The vanilla is exceptionally incorporated and the bourbon is outstanding. Very faint rummy character, with some dark fruit - raisins soaked in bourbon and rum. Malted milk balls are present too. I have to mention that this is sweet, but also balanced, much along the lines of Dark Horizon 1st Ed. World Wide Stout/Darkness, this is not.

The palate opens with a ton of sweetness, mildly sugary with a rich and delicious molasses character. A touch sweet for my taste, this is still very very good. A lot of the chocolate complexity appears early on, with dark and milk chocolate character. Nougat like with toffee, bourbon and vanilla appear mid palate. Oak is reserved and while present, it's whelmed by the sweetness. Big in body with soft and smooth carbonation, the finish is LONG lasting with plenty of flavor, vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. Every now and then, I get a touch of a meaty character too. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden.

Evaluating the drinkability of a beer like this is difficult. While not quaffable, I have to admit that I drank 6oz of my 8oz pour in about 20 minutes and had to really hold myself back in the better interests of my sobriety. This really is a feat of brewing, thanks for sharing this with us, Shane.

**Edit 26 March 2011**

I shared a bottle of the 2010 batch at our Philly tasting.

The nose is a lot simpler - soy sauce and bourbon, brown sugar, booze, caramel. The palate opens with plenty of sugar, caramel, booze, brown sugar, vanilla, and all things sweet. Prunes, dates, raisins, rummy and bourbon are present. Intense. Sweet and moderately boozy on the finish, there's some port. Not as chocolate-like as the 09, there's a stunning lack of all things stout - no roast, no coffee, no chocolate. More of an American Strong Ale imo. 4.5/4/4.5/4/4

**Edit 23 Dec 2011**
Devin shared a bottle last night. Holy fucking fuck, is this beer a hot and boozy mess or what? It tastes like they dumped fucking Everclear in this, it's sinus-clearing boozy with plenty of chocolate and vanilla. Just too fucking intense, this vintage is nothing like the 2009. S/T/M=3.5/2.5/3

**Edit 26 Dec 2012**
Drinking a bottle of the 2011 release with my dad.

Hot, boozy, moderately messy, but a lot more enjoyable. Sweet caramel, vanilla and booze with some chocolate and dark fruit. The palate is similarly big and boozy, with plenty of vanilla and alcohol. Very sugary, this has some chocolate, but is mostly devoid of roast, chocolate and coffee. Enjoyable in small quantities.
3.5/3.5/3.5