Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2017: 19.5% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

#67

Ratings: 4,008 |  Reviews: 718

Had to adjust my rating here. The fact that this is a really good beer is completely overshadowed by a pretentious, conceited brewery with rude employees. Unfortunate, but that kind of pretentious nonsense is repulsive to me. Lots of great beers out there, enjoy it if you want, then move on...it is not all it is made to be. Overpriced...

Enjoyed a bottle of this with my brother on 19 April 12. We chilled the beer for a while, but probably cooled it down a little more than we should have. I prefer some of these bigger stouts with a slight chill, and sometimes close to or right at room temperature. This beer started out really strong on alcohol...the alcohol almost overpowered the flavor and taste of the beer. We probably took about 25-30 minutes to go through the bottle, and by the time it warmed up closer to room temp it was getting really, really good. The last sips were the best. I have another bottle of BT and will be drinking it a lot closer to room temp (60 degrees or so).

A: pitch black
S: Licorice, alcohol, figs, molasses
T: See above, at cooler temps alcohol smothers underlying flavors, takes away from the beer
M: silky smooth, very thick
O: really nice...can't wait to enjoy another!!

3.03/5  rDev -33.3%

2011 vintage from the bottle into a wine glass

I was really disappointed by how sweet and cloying this stout was. I've had the 2010 before (which I thought was a soy sauce bomb) so I wasn't expecting much from the '11 but, it didn't even meet my lowered expectations. Really, how does this beer have an A on BA? It's like the Bruery chaptalized the hell out of what may have been a very good base stout. I realize the residual sugar has to be high for a stout with 18% abv but, this was really over done. I think I need to go to the dentist...

3.05/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2014 bottle. Pours dark brown with little to no head. This isn't black. Smells like bourbon and vanilla. The flavor is intense and cloying. Bourbon dominates the profile, and the flavor is super rich...there is some vanilla coming through, but that is about it. I am not picking up any oaky notes. I don't taste any malt or hops. All sticky sweet bourbon goodness. The body is medium, and much lighter than i anticipated. The mouthfeel is bit fizzy, and lacks the creamy texture that i want in a big stout. Carbonation is very low. Overall, i am glad i tried this but i think this beer is more for those who prefer the thrill of the chase, and the novelty of this beer.

3.06/5  rDev -32.6%

The alcohol smell when poured into a reserve society snifter is so potent that it made me cough. It's difficult to pull anything beyond bourbon/alcohol from the nose. The color is jet black and viscous. The body is not thick enough to carry this much booze. More of an after dinner drink than a beer. No carb to speak of. There's a hint of roasted malt trying to poke through the bourbon character. This "beer" is a hot mess when compared to other high end bourbon aged stouts.

3.08/5  rDev -32.2%

I've been a Bruery Society member for 3 years - and have now tried 3 vintages of BT. I've recently come to the conclusion that I simply don't like this beer.

I feel that a bourbon barrel aged stout should have certain characteristics:

A deep, dark, opaque black color
A rich mouthfeel
Little to no carbonation
It should taste like beer - with notes of the bourbon barrel characteristics

I feel that BT defies all of these. The color is more of a dark amber. Mouthfeel is very thin and perhaps the most disappointing aspect of this beer. The carbonation - while not very noticeable while pouring - is definitely noticeable while drinking. This beer usually falls in the 18-20+ %ABV range - which I'm all for - if the bourbon/booziness isn't overpowering. In this case - the huge ABV seems to be the dominating characteristic of this beer - and I'm just not a fan.

3.08/5  rDev -32.2%

2009 bottle shared generously by punkrkr27 at FL invades MI May Super Tasting, thanks Steve!
Served at room temp, it poured a super jet black with a one finger, light brown head. Smell is dark, boozy chocolate and what seems to be dry wood. Taste is syrupy dark chocolate as well as some vanilla and honey dipped marshmallow. Mouthfeel on this beer was the highlight to me--a very full, viscous body that’s complimented by a supporting chewy malty-ness. Definitely a hot finish in the throat.
The noticeable abv makes it a dry finish after swallowing, but this beer was super sweet with lots of rich malt and there’s no way I could enjoy more than 3oz.

3.12/5  rDev -31.3%

Thanks for this one goes to Grant. Thanks a lot homey! Poured into a wine glass. This one pours a thick looking black with a finger of dark tan head.

The aroma gives off lots of rich molasses and cinnamon spice with hints of spicy cinnamon. Lots of richness and heavy bourbon in the background. This one is super sweet on the pallet with spicy sweet cinnamon and molasses. It's good at first but after a couple sips the bourbon comes through quite a bit but it wrecks the pallet after a few.

The body on this is heavy and thick. Syrupy even with soft carbonation.

Overall this one has tons of flavors that work together alright. After a few sips I think this just destroys the pallet. That's really what kill it for me; you can only taste it for the first few sips, afterwards your pallet is just hot ruined.

3.12/5  rDev -31.3%

3.13/5  rDev -31.1%

750ml black waxed bottle, 2010 Vintage.

Pours a super dark inky black with a small but super dark brown head. Nose is crazy boozy, malty, sweet, raisin and molasses.

Taste is very hot, boozy, sweet and honestly just a bit too much. The mouthfeel is syrupy but almost too thin, sticky and quite low carbonation. There is a good dark, sweet melty chocolate.

This is pretty much the concent of my group - not sure about the high ratings on here

3.13/5  rDev -31.1%

Review from notes.

Had this at a Jackie O's bottle share. Date, can't remember, didn't write it down, lol.

Pour was about 3 oz. Looks fantastic, dark as night, nice dark mocha head that is about a finger tall, and sticks around pretty well given the ABV.

Smells like a bourbon barrel stout should, with roast, chocolate, coffee, and booze, and the booze is readily apparent, which shouldn't be surprising with the ABV, but...

GAH! Rocket fuel! Roast and chocolate give way to an unbearable fusel alcohol that just doesn't taste good. Burns all the way down. I feel like I can light my breath on fire.

Just not pleasant, and this was a 2010 vintage. I shudder to think what a fresh bottle is like. Maybe the 2010 was just overly boozy. Who knows? I certainly won't go out of my way to find out.

3.14/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.15/5  rDev -30.6%

2013 bottle. A 19% stout sounds fun, but I found Black Tuesday borderline undrinkable after even two or three sips. Unless you have a high tolerance for extreme sweetness, I would only recommend opening it in a group of at least four people. For me, it felt like a stunt beer, and was much less enjoyable than the Bourbon Counties and Parabolas of the world.

3.16/5  rDev -30.4%

I really wanted to like this. I’ve heard great things about the Bruery and decided to become a Society member to give them a try. This is supposed to be one of their best but sadly, like most of their beers, it’s just too sweet for my liking and very reminiscent of a dessert wine. I appreciate their ingenuity but I’m coming to the realization that their style, while interesting and complex, is just not my thing.

3.18/5  rDev -30%

Have had this on two occasions and just wasn't that impressed. Appearance was what you would expect for this type of beer. Felt it was better served at cellar temperature. Seemed to be drinkable at this temp. As it warmed the malty sweetness really made this hard to finish. Not overly heavy on the bourbon. Was definiely a sipper. First bottle was shared with about 8 people with each getting about 4-5 ozs. And all felt that was a large enough sample. Bottle two wa sshared with 4 other people . With half the bottle left unfinished.

3.18/5  rDev -30%

Many, many thanks to HopHeadlouie for sending this to me... I'm saddened that it was not what I had hoped for.

A viscous black, liquified dark, nothing on top at all. Stains, not legs or lacing, remain on the sides, a glass of ink, black ink, careful it doesn't stain your clothes.
One whiff and you remember your childhood. You used to love sweets. Eat them all day. Pecan pie, Hershey's chocolate syrup, fudge, chocolate cake. These are what you smell, the aromas that you used to love. But now you are older. Now you also smell the alcoholic burn in it... you catch the hint, the hint of that soy-sauce-sweet-syrup, that called Triple Bock. No, really. Yes, really. A good dose of Triple Bock with the chocolate cake in the nose.
And the flavour, there again, reminds you... well, no sense in remembering, let's break out the ol' photo album, and there you are. Chocolate cake all over your face, your hair, your hands, chocolate icing, chocolate milk, chocolate fudge, chocolate brownies, and caramel. Milky Way, take a bite of alcoholic Milky Way. Alcoholic sweet, chocolatey, syrupy, nougatey, fudgey, Triple Bock.
That Hershey's syrup mouthfeel too, syrupy, sticky, creamy, immensely thick, almost no carbonation, and a lingering syrupy warmth.
This thing would be wonderful if you still loved to eat chocolate cake until your gut could no longer take it anymore. It's little but a chocolate fudge liqueur. Nothing RIS about this one. No roastiness, no balance, just tons and tons of chocolate syrup. Alcoholic, liquid chocolate cake.

3.21/5  rDev -29.3%

Shared by capra12 (Jon). Opened at a tasting 5/29/10. 4oz. pour from a 750ml waxed wine bottle into a snifter. Reviewed from notes. You know your tasting is epic when BT becomes an afterthought.

A: Pours a 1/4 finger mocha head that quickly collapses in on itself. Beer is a black hole. Perhaps the blackest I've ever seen any RIS. No lacing.

S: Ridiculous booziness upfront drowns out all pretenses of complexity. My nostrils fight to try to get something more here. Some chocolate, prunes, raisins, other dried, dark fruit, brownie, and licquorice. Not the most appetizing aroma as I think I'm gonna get a facefull of alcohol...

T: Chocolate, dark fruit, brownies, and licquorice. Exceedingly sweet and a huge booze bomb. Make no mistake about it, I tasted all 19.5% of this one and every sip made me cringe. Aftertaste is... what else? Sweet is all heck and still incredibly hot and boozy. The complexity is definitely there... but its blanketed by alcohol.

M: Medium to full bodied with more carbonation than I'd expect. Oily in the mouth and silky going down. Very smooth for its ABV. Finish is messy with a big, lingering aftertaste.

D: All hype. How could I think anything else? Waaay to boozy and waaaay too sweet. Its sad since there's a lot going on here and the feel is near perfect but why does it have to be 19.5% and why does it have to flaunt every single % in the taste and nose?!?! I'll give it another try down the line but as it is now, definitely not my cup of tea and DEFINITELY not worth the buzz and trouble.

3.25/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Black Tuesday from The Bruery