Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

2015: 19.9% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 660 | Ratings: 3,693
3.82/5  rDev -14.7%

2009 bottle split with 3 friends.

A: This poured dark black with a very thin mocha head. I was surprised that it has this much carbonation.

S: It smelled like a very hot bourbon. I could get some dark malts, soy and some dark fruits as well.

T: The taste was pretty similar to the smell. At first I thought that the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But then, after about 10 seconds or so, the alcohol made its presence known. This went away as my senses got overwhelmed. I was also able to detect some great dark fruits and soy in the taste. It was better than I was anticipating.

M: The mouthfeel was OK. It was a little too heavy for my tastes.

O: I found this to be slightly better than average. The alcohol makes it near impossible to finish by yourself. I figured after 2 years that it would have tamed down some but it was still pretty hot. This might be better in another couple of years. I will re-visit in 2 years and re-rate.

3.82/5  rDev -14.7%

2010 vintage. Kindly trucked up by Official Bruery Mule, womencantsail. Thanks Andrew.

A: Pours a pitch, opaque black. One finger of dark mocha head. It retains poorly, but it does leave curtains during sips.

S: Sherry jumps out at me immediately. This is well oxidized, but in a good way. Molasses, brown sugar. Bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, oak are milder. There is noticeable booze in the nose.

T: A strong, almost treacly sherry flavor to it; it reminds me of the strong raisin character of DFH World Wide Stout. But this is much less harsh. Other sweet flavors of molasses, brown sugar, caramel, and dark fruits jump out at me. Plenty of chocolate and vanilla. The finish is more bourbon than oak, and it lingers deliciously into the aftertaste. Not particularly complex as far as barrel-aged imperial stouts go, but it's thick, heavy, dessert-like, and appreciable by laymen. Definitely good virtues to have.

M: It is closer to medium-bodied this year vs. last year; it seems to be drier on the whole. That seems to make it feel a lot hotter than the '09, too. But it's restrained for something that's estimated to be almost 20%.

D: My second time having this. I like it enough, but I'm not a big fan. It's overall too sweet and too 'big', and my palate is too overwhelmed to pick out the nuances. Still, $30 is a decent price point for one or two bottles, because the beer goes over very well with my family. It makes the centerpiece of a nice tasting; beer nerd and layman alike enjoy it. The primary value of this beer (to me) is not in drinking it alone or even trading it, but in using it to convert beer neophytes. The Bruery fills that niche very well.

3.82/5  rDev -14.7%

A: Black, emphasis on silky, brown slivered trim. No practical head.

S: Smells sturdy enough but much less robust than anything I had imagined. Sweetness, bourbon barrel warmed cocoa and milk chocolate are foremost. It really does have a wonderful smell despite being lesser than I preconceived and makes me wish I could bath in it.

T: Definitely a let down for the price, hype, and what I imagined. This beer is definitely not comparable to any other beer but this fresh 2011 bottle is all about sweetness and has a VERY mild barrel presence. Something must be said about the fact that this 18% beer literally tastes and drinks like a 7% beer- obviously very impressive and intriguing.

M: Thin! WTF! It's silky as balls, but come on, rouse me a little, I can take it. You don't have to fuck me this gently.

O: I didn't put this on much of a pedestal, but I can think of literally dozens of other bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts that are better than this (and all cheaper).

#brueryhype

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for acquiring this and sharing this

Note: 2011 vintage

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - not exactly black, but very dark, approaching black - light tan head, impressive amount of carbonation given the barrel aging

Smell: Ow, my brains - tons and tons of bourbon aroma - vanilla and some wood - loads of booze, but not as bursting with ethanol as it could be, I suppose - sweet chocolate, loads of caramel, molasses, and a sack of sugar - some dark fruits - absurdly sweet, flirting with the "do not want" line

Taste: A sweet, sugary, bizarre potion - all kinds of sweet, including caramel, burnt caramel, molasses, brown sugar, white sugar, malt extract - sweet chocolate, like a chocolate hard candy - sweet vanilla - intense bourbon flavor - thankfully, light on the wood and dry alcohol - mild burnt bitterness - dark, cooked fruits - very sweet - absolutely disgusting if consumed with a gulp, but tasty if sipped, hard to give an actual score

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, syrupy, oily, with a legitimate alcohol burn, not a huge fan

Overall: Black Tuesday? More than one of these, and it's more like Blackout Tuesday (omg lol)

This is a syrupy, absurd creation. The level of crazy here is hard to assess. It's somewhere between genuinely disgusting and uniquely charming. I'm very happy that I had a chance to sit down with a full glass of this. It's really not suitable for a small pour at a beer fest. I'll be skipping it at future Extreme Beer Fests.

3.83/5  rDev -14.5%

Dark as night - slight tan head. Full, thick entry - so sweet. Big roast hit - then the sweetness takes over. Full mouthfeel...but the sweetness just kills.

Big alcohol burn on sides of mouth. A burnt sugar flavor hits me mid-mouth. Big roasty finish makes for a good out. The alcohol fire lingers.

I'd prefer this aged for at least a year to take out some of the sweetness.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pours pitch black with tan head. Aroma is amazing. I detect subtle notes of bourbon, slight oxidation, dark roast, coffee, chocoate, and dark grain. This has a really pronounced dark grain aroma that just dominates. If you have ever brewed with dark grains that is what it smells like. Those black grains just stand out the most for me in the nose. Dense and viscous mouthfeel. Flavor has a touch of alcohol, bourbon, coffee, grains, and finishes somewhat chocolate sweet with a slight grain astringency. The sweet chocolate and grain astringency finish knock this beer down a bit for me. I don't care for the sweetness or astringency. And that is what I'm left with as it finishes. It has all the layers of complexity that make it a remarkable if not one of the best beers on the planet. I just wish it finished better. Still a nice beer to try either way.

3.84/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2012 vintage split with my two brothers and dad, poured into snifters. Appearance was jet-black with no head to speak of. Lots of alcohol legs.

Smell was pretty inviting. Lots of booze, but balanced out by tons and tons of dark fruits and chocolate.

Taste, alas was just a bit too intensely overwhelming for me. It's obvious from the smell that you are about to catch a beatdown, but the bourbon is just ferocious. Don't get me wrong, I like bourbon well enough, but this is far and away the most aggressively barrel-forward beer I have ever tried. I split this bottle four ways, and the one guy who really liked bourbon thought it was awesome, the rest of us agreed that this is one that should probably be laid down for a long time. The heat was also very formidable, as you would expect from such a huge beer. There is plenty going on here, but my brain was just screaming "BOURBON" and "HEAT".

The mouthfeel was full-bodied, sweet and sticky, appropriate for the style.

Overall, this one was ok, but just a little over the top for me. Perhaps being consumed at the end of a long, intense stout season had a lot to do with it..I will let the other bottle I have sit until the fall and revisit hopefully a little more mellowed out version, and with a renewed desire for big, barrel-aged stouts after a summer of sours and IPA's.

3.87/5  rDev -13.6%

2011 750 mL bottle poured into my new CBS snifter. Split with baconbourbon.

Appearance - Doesn't really pour as black as I thought it would be, considering it's called Black Tuesday. It's a little translucent at the edges. Temporarily has a head, but it doesn't last. How could it, really? It incredibly sticky. If left for a while, I would expect this to reduce to a molasses-like sludge.

Smell - Bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. Whoah. I kinda get some of the stout behind it, but really it's overpowered by the bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. When I first smelled it, I got a lot of the barrel. As I drink it, I get less barrel and more alcohol.

Taste - Bourbon at first. Vanilla and caramel. No oak, but the barrel seems evident just from the bourbon and vanilla. Lighter malts shine through much more than any roasted malts. Immensely sweet. In the back I finally get some flavors from the stout itself. Chocolate and some coffee, but it's an afterthought to the sugar and alcohol. The finish isn't as boozy as I expected.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy. Boozy, but not in the taste. It's warming to the point of a slight burn. Split two ways, this is a big ask. I want to go to sleep, but I still have half a glass left and I know I won't feel so hot in the morning.

Overall - Disappointing, I suppose. I don't know what I expected out of such a gigantic stout. It's like the scene at the beginning of Super Troopers where they chug the maple syrup, except there's lethal levels of alcohol in this. Good night.

3.87/5  rDev -13.6%

A few canceled plans and some hospitalizations further, we were finally ready to sit down and break open these bad boys. A good time was had by all at the Cracked Kettle last Friday. We had been looking forward to this lineup for months. A huge thanks to GoGriz and Cedromar for the trades, and a massive cheers to Scott for providing us the bad boy for this special occasion. Too bad it didn't work out when you were here.

From a 750ml bottle into a 6oz sinfter
Vintage 2010 (18.2%)
Vintage 2009 (19.5%)
Note: Review for the 2010 with the 2009 as comparison.

APPEARANCE: Gushed upon opening, but poured out and settled just fine. A dark brown pour yields a medium, foamy looking tan head with decent retention. Head fades down to a ring with touches of wisp on top. Black body, opaque, with medium carbonation evident. Only a ring remains but leaves no real lacing down the glass. Nothing special about the ’10. However, the ’09 was much more impressive, with a darker, thicker pour and a more persistent mocha colored head that left some nice lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Lots of bourbon on the nose for sure. Oak and vanilla, with some sweet milk chocolate and quite a bit of booze. Faint notes of roasted malts and pure chocolate try to make their way through, but this one is very bourbon barrel heavy, which is probably the point. Definitely good for what it is, though I’d appreciate a touch more base beer on the nose for top marks. The ’09 delivered the goods in that department, however, with less booze and more stout, showing a better union between the base beer and the barrel. Really nice.

TASTE: Roasted flavors start it off before an avalanche of barrel and alcohol. Lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla and milk chocolate up front. Very boozy through the middle; the 18.2% is there in all its glory. Finish is quite nice, with some dark chocolate, cream notes, and dark cherries even, which compliment the bold barrel flavors. Aftertaste is big and menacing, with an overdose of bourbon, oak, some dark chocolate, and lots of heat. Lots of wonderful flavors for sure, but the heat needs to mellow out. Enter the 2009 vintage. This was insane. Way smoother than the 2010, with less booze and heat, but more roasted and chocolaty base beer in the mix. The base stout meshed superbly with the bourbon barrel, leaving us with an excellently balanced and absolutely decadent brew. Much less boozy, and way smoother and much more complex. The ’09 was simply as good as it gets.

PALATE: Fuller body and quite heavy and thick on the palate, with medium carbonation. Very viscious, and much thicker than we’d expected after it foamed out upon opening. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down fine with a lot of heat on the swallow and finishes quite sticky. Despite the heat, the thick, heavy body is what I love in this style. The ’09 was much the same, but not quite as heavy on the palate.

OVERALL: This was one of the most enjoyable and interesting beer experiences so far. Besides the fun company, this was an unbelievable pair of beers. I must admit that I was sceptical before opening this stuff, as this one gets far too much press, but the praise and love for this beer is more than deserved. The 2010 has piles of wonderful flavor and a obliterating feel that ranks up there with the thickest and meanest of them. The bourbon barrel is delicious and the base beer is still strong enough to hold its own. The heat needs to mellow out, that’s for sure, but given some time, perhaps that will take care of itself.

As a comparison, the 2009 was everything I hoped it would be. Easily an A+ beer. The flavors of the base beer were allowed to come forth and play a better supporting role for the beautiful bourbon barrel, which resulted in an absolutely decadent brew. Massive and superbly balanced nose and palate, with a great look to boot, this might be my favorite American brewed bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. With some time, I can only hope the 2010 vintage will smoothen out like this, and hopefully future vintages will follow suit. I will constantly be on the lookout for this brew. Thanks to everyone for a great time, and another huge cheers to those who made this evening possible.

3.89/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is cola brown, quite a bit lighter than I expected. Thin head, no lacing, some clarity. Nose is bourbon, fudge, char, and oak. Tons of sugar on the nose. Taste is super sweet with chocolate and vanilla, bourbon. Very hot towards the end, cloyingly sweet. Mouthfeel is hot with mellow carbonation. Overall, this is a very sweet beer but the astronomical abv is well hidden.

3.89/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Super dark beer with no head. Dark chocolate and raisin smell.
Boozy with salted caramel, fudge, dark chocolate taste. Lots of alcohol, usually I like that but I feel like it's a little overwhelming.

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

Again thanks to Miketd and Fiver29 for hooking this up for a small Friday tasting.

A: Deep cola black hole looking color with a small but sufficient head. Decent legs but not much lacing.

S: Interesting. I imagine taking some cocoa nibs and soaking them in soy sauce. After that you would take that old bourbon barrel you have out back that your Uncle Cornelius picked up for you that you thought would be good to throw some of your Aunt Mae's famous maple syrup in. Now throw those nibs in that barrel and add some grain to the mix with a little malt. Shake vigorously chill and serve. You would have just recreated Black Tuesday.

T: Read my thoughts on the smell of this beer and translate that to your taste buds. Pretty straightforward.

M: Definitely the highlight of this brew. Viscous. I should probably just keep a spare bottle in my car in case I start leaking oil. Good carbonation.

D: 25.4 oz = 24 hours. Definitely something to share. I have to say this is a very unique and interesting beer. I don't feel it is worth all the hype, some maybe but not all of it. Very good don't get me wrong but you Cali guys can just keep holding on to those bottles for yourselves.

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2012 bottle, shared with friends and family at the Local Option's Pi Day event. Poured into a snifter, reviewed from notes.

Pours a sludgey cola brown color, almost jet black but lots of brown hues are visible when struck by the light. A few tiny bubbles appear momentarily but are gone immediately and no lacing is left behind. The aroma is powerfully sweet, lots of chocolate, bourbon, sweet oak, mollasses, vanilla, brown sugar and even some toasted marshmallow at the end. There is a powerful alcohol presence that lingers and almost burns the nose, not to be unexpected at nearly 20%, but still a bit of a deterrent. The flavors are really intense, lots of bourbon and sweet milk chocolate, brown sugar, a bit of bitter roast and molasses, chewy oak is a nice touch with some vanilla behind it but the alcohol really dominates the back end of this and the finish is fairly hot. The body is nice, chewy at times, silky at others, it coats the mouth well, nearly zero carbonation but just enough to keep it lively and interesting and there is a nice warming sensation as it goes down.

Verdict: Despite this beer being nearly 20% and fairly hot, it's very drinkable which is quite impressive, but I'm not blown away by this. I've been fortunate enough to try a variety of vintages of this and even with time it's still a alcohol forward beer which isn't really my preference. A worthy beer for anyone who enjoys a barrel aged stout, but there are plenty of better ones on the market, and many of them for a better price.

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottled at The Bruery this last weekend, thanks to a certain photo shoot that went down on friday. Meant to get some more during the initiation party the next day, but I was having too good of a time drinking Two Dirty Hookers in the main room to make it over to the special pour room. Oh, well, the several ounces on friday was more than enough of this beast. Very thick black with a small head and leaves lots of syrupy coating on the cup. Massively intense aroma of chocolate and a shit ton of bourbon without the alcohol sharpness. A touch of oak, but mainly sweet bourbon and chocolate. Hugely thick and rich flavor. Very sweet and chocolate-bourbon flavored on the front on the tongue, but with a toasty and bitter roasty finish that manages a surprising balance. In the initial sip you don't really detect much alcohol, but it really comes out in the finish once it eats through the residual sugar on your tongue. Insanely thick and mouth coating in an almost gross way to be honest. An exceptional beer to be sure, but I can't really decide if I would ever be interested in it beyond a two-ounce sample every now and again. Total props to The Bruery for making a beer this tasty and envelope-pushing, but it really fills a tiny niche in the beer world.

3.91/5  rDev -12.7%

Popped a bottle of this at pre ebf training with a few fellow BA's

A-black. oil. not too much of a head, but more than i expected for a 19.5% abv beer

S-bourbon overpowering, as per usual with the style. lots of chocolatey notes as well, although much harder to notice than i wouldve liked because of all of the bourbon

T-WAY too much sugar IMO, honestly kinda burned my throat on the way down--but not because of it being too hot, because it was just so sweet/rich. also huge amounts of chocolate again, really nice chocolate flavor, not AS bourbon-forward as the smell would have made me think

M-thick, thick, thick. like a freakin smoothie-but in a good way.

D-for being 19.5%, i guess one could say its very drinkable, but at the same time i had trouble getting down my glass because of the sugary burning aspect of it-just way too rich and sugary for me.

Overall it's a good beer, pretty impressive, but nowhere near the "god" of all beers like people say. Wouldn't go out of my way to have it again, happy i got a chance to try it though.

3.92/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to hopderek for a pour of this bottle.

A: The stout is black, still as night and under siege. An off-white head comes along for the ride but doesn't amount to much.

S: The nose is punctuated by sweet bourbon. Darker stout aromas are present but take a backseat to the barrel.

T: The sweetness of the barrel, vanilla and dark fruits, along with the boozy strength stand out. Along side the barrel, the stout seems to be laiden with dark sugars and molasses, sweet but not cloying. The strength is hard to miss, rich and overpowering in every sip. The darker flavors, roasted as they are, fit in well amongst the sweet barrel flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet, vanilla and stout flavors run strong through the ale. There is plenty of sweetness beyond the barrel, enough to border on Belgian stout territory.

D: Strong? Indeed. A good stout that makes use of its barrel provenance. It's big though, too big to really dig into.

3.92/5  rDev -12.5%

2010 Vintage 18.2% abv

Pours jet black with minimal lacing and carbonation

The aroma is pretty seductive, german chocolate cake, burnt sugar, booze, and a little bit of vanilla

Taste is dominated by the booze followed by a lot of sugar. very hot

Mouthfeel is very thin for a beer this big

Overall this was good but the booze was very in your face unlike the previous vintage. Also, I didnt get nearly enough of the bourbon barrell character that I did in the '09. This one needs time.

3.94/5  rDev -12.1%

Blind beer #5 from Phelps, into our Devil's Backbone and Savor tulips.

A-Pours a deep dark black with a frothy tan head that has some nice legs.

S-Bourbon and lots of it. Hot, boozy and sweet. This must be a big barrel aged stout.

T-Really tasty, boozy, toasted marshmallow, brown sugar. Very, very hot on the tongue but nicely flavorful.

M-Medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

O-I like this one. Really big ABV. Got to be 12%+. Definitely bourbon barrel aged. Cap says Bruery so I want to guess Black Tuesday, though the unopened one I have is waxed, first bottling.

HV

3.95/5  rDev -11.8%

Served on-draught into 2 oz stemware at the Bruery Provisions shoppe. Expectations were wildly high given its reputation, but I've been disappointed with Bruery beers in the past. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of good cream, good thickness, and bad retention - obviously due to the high ABV. Solid black colour.

Sm: Raisins, caramel, molasses, restrained dark fruit, grapes, and heavy oak. A moderately strong aroma.

T: The notes of the nose are all present - oak presiding, with a slightly tart unexpected finish. Rich, well balanced, and brilliantly built. The raisin comes through as well. The tart fruit is quite special in this style.

Mf: Velvety smooth and wet. A touch too thick, but it complements the flavours perfectly. This is the strong point of the beer.

Dr: A wonderful sipper, but difficult to drink on account of its high ABV. It's affordable for a small amount at the brewery, but rather unfairly expensive out of the bottle. I'd have it again at a fair price. Really quite nice.

3.96/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to MrChopin for sharing this one.

A-pours a jet black liquid with a dark tan colored dense head.

S-the nose is not as boozy as I feared. lots of roasted malts up front, peanut butter, dark chocolate and vanilla. bourbon takes hold behind, hints of acetone.

T-again does pretty well on the flavor in compared to the alcohol content. tons of roasted malts up front, dark chocolate and lots of vanilla. notes of bourbon in the middle with some nice sweetness in the back. the acetone is quite light and it is hot but not much especially for the alcohol.

M-as expected, huge, thick, chewy. great carbonation level to hold body but still fall down the throat.

D-this is huge as expected but no where near the boozy mess I thought it was going to be. the alcohol is there, much more so in the nose. the balance of roasted malts and sweetness is done well and the bourbon notes are present; but a complete lack of any oak and a little hot in the back.

3.97/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Black as the name implies. Minor amount of medium brown head. No visible sediment.

S: Very complex. Cocoa powder, tar, molasses, hickory, graham crackers, chocolate candy corn, and caramel corn. Dark dried fruits, oak, and chocolate-covered dried tropical fruits (ie. chocolate covered mango or chocolate covered pineapple slices). Flat coca cola?

T: Cocoa, molasses, chocolate toffee, alcohol, and many of the scent elements.

M: Good mouthfeel. Above average density and viscosity.

D: Not particularly drinkable. Tasty in limited quantity, and at cellar temperature or refrigerated temperature. However, a full glass is a disaster in waiting, and room temperature is out of the question.

3.99/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had at an impromptu bottleshare at Max's during Rare & Obscure

A: Dark, dark brown.

S: Same smell as BA Narwhal but much more muted.

T: Very sweet, like meds. Can't place but I've had this taste before. A bit or a burn at the end. Ugh. Weird malt aftertaste. Nice warm.

M: Light, weird carbonation.

O: Not too good. Needs age, but ok.

3.99/5  rDev -10.9%

Huge thanks to javib458 for sending this beast to me.

2009 vintage, 20 malts, son!

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even the slightest hint of lighter color and a half finger dark mocha head that dissapears immediately. No lacing at all.

Boozy bourbon aroma with hints of earthy oak and vanilla. slightly roasted chocolate malt as well as some hazelnut and toffee but the nose of this beer is all about the barrel. There's a nice vanilla marshmallow presence that cuts down the hot spirit character. Subtle soy sauce in the nose as well and the bourbon dominates but the malt presence becomes more evident as it warms.

Chewy medium body with a huge blast of bourbon that lingers troughout into a sweet, hot finish with plenty of warmth in the chest. Slightly viscous but a bit thinner than I expected based on the appearance. As it warms the silky chocolate malts become more apparent but overall this is kind of a one dimensional bourbon bomb. Faint hints of chocolate, toffee and licorice. Lots of alcohol sweetness and subtle soy spice flavor but this beer is actually pretty drinkable with a relatively well masked ABV. I would have never guessed that this was over 18%.

Overall this beer is pretty tasty and easier drinking than expecting considering the ABV but it's a bit one dimensional and thinner bodied than I prefer for the style.

Thanks go out to moosington for the opportunity. Bottle poured into my Stone RIS tulip. This one was consumed after a long day of moving. High expectations.

A: Mostly black, but with reddish hues around the edges. The pour dropped a thin rim of foam that quickly dissapeared, and left no lace. However, it did leaves some nice legs, similer to a red wine.

A: I get the burbon straight away, followed by a vanilla, caramelly, sweetness. I also get a tartness from dried fruit, mainly prunes, raisins, and figs. A healthy amount of molasses is also present.

T: This is where the brew falls apart for me. The burbon is overpowering, then it is followed by an overbearing sweetness. The person I shared the bottle with described it as burbon soaked prunes. And I would have to agree. I think there is just way too much going on here. I can appriciate the complexity, but the flavors do not meld well. I get prunes, raisin, figs, vanilla, caramel, and molasses. Next to no hop presence. It finishes with a warming as it goes down the throat.

M: Heavy body, but slick and oily. There is very little carbonation, so the beer seems to slip around the palate.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is extremely low. The two of us had a rough time finishing the bottle. Overall I was very dissapointed with BT, I thought it was kinda a mess. Although I am happy I got to try this, I will not be seeking it in the future. Skal.

Re-review: 12/9/2011
Vintage 2011. Although I have changed my mind about this beer, I still don't believe it is a world class brew. The body is too light for the ABV, and it is very sweet and very boozy. It MUST be served at room temp! The flavors and nuances of the beer come out much better at 55-65 degrees. All in all, this is a huge beer, and one that I am glad I revisited.

Sampled at Boise’s 2014 Imperial Stout get together, over 120 bottles to choose from. Going with the flow on this rating. Smooth, slick, plenty of warmth. Mildly boozy.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery