Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 681 | Ratings: 3,820
4.2/5  rDev -6%

Shared a bottle with some fellow BAs.

Pitch black pour with a dark tan head poured into a chalice. Sticks all over the glass I swirl it around. Deep roasty, fudgy, chocolate, and sherry aroma. Some molasses and burnt sugar there as well. Flavor follows the nose. Dark cocoa bar with a sweet bourbony/brown sugar backbone. Roast takes a back seat to the sweet stout flavors. Great thick body, sticks around long after the beer is gone. Unbeleivably drinkable - the 19.5% ABV is incredibly well hidden (compared to other high ABV stouts / strong ales that I have had). Totally lived up to the hype, very happy I got to try this.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into snifter. Reviewing a 2013 bottle on 10/24/14.

A: Pours dark black with less than a finger of khaki head. The head is very thin and reduces very quickly to practically no collar.
S: Strong aroma of bourbon, chocolate, coffee, molasses, and a fairly pungent alcohol burn. In the back I get dark fruits, vanilla, and roast. Needless to say there's a lot going on here. The heat is not a surprise, but still worth mentioning.
T: The chocolate and bourbon are what I get as the boldest flavors. Fading in the background are vanilla, coffee, molasses, and roasted malts. At 18.9%, I expected something complex and bold, and this delivers. Very enjoyable, and as a bourbon fan, I have to say this bring the bourbon notes along very well.
M: Moderately low carb level, but high enough to keep from calling it syrupy. Leaves a very sweet after taste that helps cover up the heat.
O: This is a delicious beer, one that I'd recommend to any craft beer nerd who is also into bourbon ( which is almost every craft beer nerd I know). Lots of heat going on as expected, but the aroma and flavor pack the punch to make this an all around enjoyable beer.

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

Another one from an amazing tasting.

A Pours a nice black color topped with a mocha head.

S Very sweet with a ton of chocolate. Almost reminiscent of chocolate syrup. A bit of alcohol comes through as well.

T The taste follows the nose with a very sweet milk chocolate flavor coming through.This is followed by a kick of alcohol.

M mediumish mouthfeel with a noticeable alcoholic burn.

Overall this is a great beer but due to the sweetness and the massive abv I wouldn't want more then a glass of it though. Perfect beer to share at a tasting.

4.19/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Black, dark brown in the light.

Dark chocolate, molasses, black licorice, oak, light coffee.

A dessert beer, roasted coffee, caramel, chocolate, vanilla. On and on.

Thin mouthfeel, low carbonation.

Greatness.

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%

750ml bottle.

color: black, light brown head which quickly diminishes.

nose: caramel, wood, bourbon

taste: sweet caramel, brown sugar, wood (with some charring), vanilla, light dark fruit (prune), very complex

finish: starts sweet, turns acidic ( diminishes with oxidation ), ends with a mild bitterness and some remaining caramel.

overall: I poured this at 50F degrees which was clearly to cold. 55F or 60F is a better starting point. This beer also benefits from oxidation (about 15-30 minutes). Once at the right temperature and oxidized the flavors fully come through.

My impression: This is a "best in class" imperial stout.

Disclaimer: 5 ratings from me do not mean "no room for improvement". I simply do not believe in the concept. 5 rating from me means "best in class" at the time of the tasting.

updated: 12/31/14

If my memory serves me right, there are five excuses for drinking: a house guest arriving, being thirsty at the moment, having a thirst to come in the future, the innate goodness of beer, or, really, any reason of which you can think. (thus is my liberal interpretation and translation of a Pere Sermond)

This has been outside all day, so it should be about 50° F. poured into my la fin du monde tulip glass.

What music to listen to when reviewing such an epic beer? Bach's chaccone, bvw 1004? no, too solemn. Dark side of the moon? No, I'm not getting high after all. Some Monk? No, I need to conjure grandeur, not cool. I think such a beer deserves the most epic song of them all: The Final Countdown. Yes, that will do. Now, where's that repeat button?

A - this beer is a freakin' black hole! Charon denies any light entrance into this stygian glass of ambrosia. pitch, tar, midnight, whatever you want to call it, this brew is as black as Medea's child-killing heart. the liquid itself pours at a seemingly reasonable viscosity, no the motor oil that dark lord is. the head is the perfect colour, it is a perfect medium-dark tan colour. the head is big, aforementioned, and quite light, not creamy at all. the head slowly fizzes down, begging me to fill in the gap left in the tulip; i indulge my new mistress with her request. a solid 1cm layer of foam stays on the top of the beer at all times.

S - the smell is more intense than Frank Dux fighting in the kumite. the nose hits you in the face like a ton of bricks: top notes of booze, bourbon, and oak; middle notes of molasses, prunes, burnt sugar; the base notes are of huge dark malts, roasted and excellent and a slight vinous hint. the sheer power of the oak and whiskey can be overwhelming, it's like they made a barrel out of the mighty Pelian ash itself, or out of all the grandest trees on Mt. Ida. if nothing else: it smells like i'm in an alcoholic cooper's shop. the sheer amount of booze and the need to sift through this bastion of an aroma might be a turn off for some, it might be too much for their noses, not I: I have suffered my body day and night, depriving my self of food and sleep, toughening my body to prepare for the romance of this beer (not really though). for whatever it is worth: styles aside, i can still say I prefer the nose of W.12, but that is probably because I like Belgian styles the most; this beer hold a firm grasp on second place.

T - the taste, oh the taste! I think I have a new favorite stout, yes, indeed I do! Drinking this beer is like taking a bite out of barrel, but one made of deliciousness. That wasn't very descriptive now was it? Let's try that again: if you could encapsulate the experience of getting a bj while holding in one hand my Svend Bang tiger stripe pipe with a bowl full of balkan sobranie aged since the 80's stripe pipe, a glass of '26 Macallan in the other hand (pick any drink you please if you dont like scotch), while having just won the world poker tour on the top turret of Schloss Neuschwanstein. Crude? yes. Accurate? I believe so. Now, onto the taste. the initial taste is a powerhouse of flavours: vanilla, bourbon, oak, malts, fermenting fruits, and some some maple syrup. the alcohol (which I find hard to believe is so high) really does a number on the palate, and I love every second of its burning fury. the finish burns like Troy in the hands of the Danaans. the finish too is hugely boozy, burning, savory with a big molasses aspect and slightly sweet like prunes. a fitting finish for such a beer. the brew doesn't expand in taste like some others, it stays pretty much the same in the taste, the only thing changing is the alcohol, which is what I wanted: the booze in the initial is generally burning (if you hold it in your moth for long enough), but in the finish, pending on how long you kept it in your mouth, can be burning or an amazing dry fruity experience. Some coffee like flavours come out as well in this finish, particularly in the acidic bitter way that coffee tends to finish. the aftertaste is completely different; true it still is a large part of oak and booze, there is a definite chocolate, coffee, caramel/brown burnt sugar aspect that jumps out. having such dynamism in a beer is what makes the few and the proud full score brews.

MF&D - the carbonation is a bit low on this guy, but I find it enough for something with so much flavour and booze. the lack of carbonation is justified when one realizes the body isn't like a motor oil, it is thiner, and thus to get that syrupy feel some absence of carbonation is required. drinkablility? oh man, for a beer with 19.5% abv this brew is like drinking silk. the booze never chokes me up, never makes me gag, it goes down with its lovely burning and thats the end of that. it is a masterful piece of brewing and I wish that I could have regular access to such a prize of a beer.

3.89/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Super dark beer with no head. Dark chocolate and raisin smell.
Boozy with salted caramel, fudge, dark chocolate taste. Lots of alcohol, usually I like that but I feel like it's a little overwhelming.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Here goes...

Appearance is surprisingly good, usually when you get this high into ABV you are looking at near stillness. This is black as can be with a very nice head and lacing.

Scent is just fantastic. Nowhere near as boozy as some several percentage points less. Rasins, other dark fruits, bourbon, vanilla, and maple syrup hit me as I opened the bottle.

Taste, while not nearly as boozy as several beers with quite a bit less alcohol, is still a tad on the boozy side, which I feel is the only thing keeping this from a perfect 5. The dark fruits and a sweet maple presence make themselves known, along with the vanilla, smoke, light wood.

Mouth is just great, a great level of carbonation that I would consider medium level overall, and a pretty suitably thick feel.

Overall, this is a really incredible achievement in the style. Managing to get the ABV this high, and having it not taste like rocket fuel and fire, LET ALONE having it taste damn good in the process, is just amazing.

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours very dark black with minimal carbonation no head or lacing.

S: Bourbon up front with some dark fruits. Bourbon dominates.

T: Strong Bourbon and alcohol. Followed by some sweetness and marshmallow flavor. Some dark chocolate and vanilla notes present.

M: Full bodied with a strong heat from the alcohol.

O: Awesome beer, had back to back with Chocolate Rain. This one has a strong alcohol heat that leads to an intense sweetness. As it warms to 70 degrees appx, It really smooths out. Another sipper. Take your time and enjoy this one. It's a solid 4.4 to me.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Finally decided to open one of these. About 6 months on it I believe ,give or take. Pours jet black, with zero head. Nose is a bit boozy, but huge "usual" stout smells. Wayyy more chocolate than a typical stout though. The bourbon blends in nicely and doesn't overpower the beer at all. Just so much chocolate. A bit hot still, but I suppose that'll happen with 18% +. Mouthfeel, to me, for the size of the beer, is actually a bit small. Not as thick and vicious as I would expect, but still pretty full. Overall, this is one that I cannot wait to age for the next 5 years. Fantastic beer that lives up to the hype. So glad I finally got to try this.

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes:
2013 bottle poured into a FW Teku on 7/4/14. Happy birthday America!

A: Dark black with ruby highlight when held up to the light. Not as pitch black as I expected. Small tan head recedes to nothing after about 30 seconds, per usual for a BA beer with this high of an ABV.

S: HUGE milk chocolate, caramel, and boozy bourbon notes. Hints of dark fruits and a slight alcohol burn close things out. Just a massive nose, the usual BA stout characteristics turned up to 11.

T: Syrupy sweet caramel and vanilla upfront. Pleasantly boozy bourbon and toasted raw cacao notes from the malt followed by a note of raisins. Extremely complex, but bordering on too sweet. Surprisingly limited alcohol character.

M: Thick and syrupy with low carbonation. Ridiculously mouth coating viscosity only adds to the decadence.

O: A ridiculously flavorful BA stout. Unbelievably pungent in every sensory aspect, but somehow manages to stay relatively balanced. Every bottle is a treat.

4.02/5  rDev -10.1%

Review #201 (right after Kate the Great on the same day)

A: Pours medium thick with minimal head, though this was split 4 ways into snifters and poured slowly. Color looks to be dark brown, not as black as I expected. Lacing is minimal but as expected for such high ABV. 3.5

S: Smell is pretty dominant on bourbon, but isn’t as intense as straight Kentucky bourbon. There’s also a decent overlay of chocolate and toffee. The melody of flavors really come through as it warms too. 4

T&M: For such a high ABV this goes down real smooth. There is some throat warming but it’s complimentary and not too overwhelming. Taste is sweeter than I expected, but consists of Bourbon, chocolate, toffee, a little bit of raisin. Very nice. 4 / 4.5

O: Overall this was a pretty good RIS. Not as thick as I was hoping for, but the barrel aging component of this beer was damn good. A little sweeter than I expected, but this doesn’t detract from the overall experience. In fact, I liked it that way. 4

2.76/5  rDev -38.3%

'11 bottle. Thanks for bringing this exitmusic00. I've been curious in trying this after having Chocolate Rain Batch 1.

A- Pours a deep black with a thin mocha head that leaves no lacing behind.

S- Harsh alcohol, dark fruit including prunes and raisins and some sugary sweetness. The 18% is making itself known.

T- Bourbon hits the palate followed by loads of candied sugar, roasted malt, prune juice, raisins and black cherry. Damn, this is incredibly sweet and is pretty much diabetes in a bottle. Really no balance or complexity for that matter. Maybe some chocolate and caramel, but the alcohol and sugar overpower pretty much any flavor.

M- Medium carbonation and a syrupy body with the heat lingering on.

O- It's amazing how undrinkable this beer was. Way too much sugary sweetness paired with the harsh booziness. It was a chore to drink 3 ounces. The hype behind this and Chocolate Rain confuse me as both are just hot boozy messes.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

A - 2009 vintage. It pours pitch black with a small medium tan head that quickly recedes, leaving no lacing.

S - The bourbon presence is strong. It also has a lot of sweetness. There is also light vanilla and woody notes.

M - Full in body. Pretty thick with very light carbonation.

T - It's very sweet up front with chocolate, and molasses. It finishes with strong bourbon notes, light vanilla, and oak. There is a strong alcohol presence, which is to be expected.

This is a huge beer, I'm glad I got a chance to try it. If you like bourbon this beer is for you. Even though I enjoyed it, I don't think I would seek this beer out again. It's not bad, just way to strong. Took forever to finish it.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

First off, many thanks go to the BA now known as IronKrausen for hooking me up with this beer. He will be mentioned again in a future review involving a 5 year vertical of another great beer. More on that another day...

I'm not sure if I've ever told this story here before, but shortly before moving out to Portland back in May of this year, I put out an "In Person" trade request for Sierra Nevada Ken & Fritz's Ale. It didn't make it to the bottle shop I frequented in North Georgia, so it was definitely a want. MADhombrewer answered my post and we set up a meeting for some pints and the swap at Don Younger's fantastic Horse Brass Pub when I got to Portland. That initial trade has led to our friendship and more than a few bottles opened at each other's houses. Black Tuesday was the last bottle opened at our most night of "bottle popping". It was shared with my wife "TulipSnifter" and his wife-to-be "WitchesBrew". Nine bombers averaging about 8%-9% ABV were opened prior to this one so I was quite surprised to find glorious well written notes and scores typed into the memo pad section of my BlackBerry the next morning when I woke up at 10am with a splitting freaking headache. Onto the review now that the back story is out of the way. Very little embellishing has been added to these "real time" notes.

A: Poured into a stemless crystal Reidel brandy snifter, Black Tuesday appears sinister enough to propel the American economy into flat out bankruptcy. The super thick viscosity of the pour glugs into my glass to reveal a bottomless gash in the earth inky blackness with deep brown heartland soil edges. The very light fizzy walnut head dissipates quickly to reveal just a glass ring of bubbles. Swirling allows the liquid to creep up the sides of the glass and descend back to the body in legs. 4.5/5

S: Holy Hammer of Thor is this thing extreme! Without a doubt this is the most alcohol-centric beer I have ever smelled! Other Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts I have had like to showcase the barrel but this is a Rockette high kick to the olfactory's! I don't think I have to worry about my nose hairs for a while because they all just got singed off. The wonderful sweet Bourbon just dances everywhere. Black pepper spice, white pepper heat, and cinnamon warmth just dance a jig that I can't get enough of. My new standard for what -BAL stout should be. 5/5

T: Another wow to add to the list of previous tasters. If the aroma wasn't wild enough, this roller coaster ride of a beer just went for a double loop. Does this taste like what I expected 18% to be? Not even close! Sweet milk chocolate, sweet dates, sweet brown sugar, sweet caramel, sweet bourbon, and sweet cinnamon candies are all along for the cork screw turn on the track. I LOVE an overly sweet boozy beer and this fits the bill to a "T". 5/5

M: My Tongue is literally numb. It's definitely on the medium-low carbonated side but it's just so luxurious and smooth those bubbles may not even be needed. Take them away all together and you have something resembling Cognac. That is not a problem in my book. Despite the super-hero sized dessert sweetness in the taste, this actually finishes a little cleaner than I expected. 4.5/5

D: The next bottle of Black Tuesday I get is going to be opened by me and me alone! Seriously though, it's a beer that I could drink by myself should I really want to but would best be shared with others so its magnificence can be talked about. Saying "wow that shit is good" doesn't quite have the same impact when tucked away in a man-cave by one's self. Get a few other people to share a bottle with or they won't believe your fabled stories of Black Tuesday! 5/5

I actually looked into airplane tickets to attend the brewery release this year. At the time I thought it may not be worth it after adding up all the costs. Hopefully Patrick Rue can make a few more bottles of this for next year and maintain this level of quality because I will be trying like crazy to get tickets for the 2011 party. If I manage to do so, I don't expect to be the only new face there. This never was a secret to faithful local patrons of The Bruery and now I'm very much in the know as well. I hope to see everybody there next year!

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

With much anticipation I had my first Black Tuesday last night. 2015 vintage poured into snifter

Appearance- pitch black with zero head. Exactly what I would expect from a beer this strong
Smell- booze. I expected this but it is intense
Taste- I get vanilla, caramel up front, barrel late and the booze hits like an iron fist. It is very evident
Feel- almost no carbonation. Slightly syrupy .
Overall- a special occasion beer I am so glad I was able to try. But there are better ba imp stouts out there that easier to finish.

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

A bottle of this fortuitously made its way to the Rochester BA Tasting this past Saturday at the Tap and Mallet. My heartfelt thanks go out to Richard and Daren for making this possible. While I don't usually review beers I've had at tastings, I had a decent 3-4 oz. serving of this. While that may be too small an amount to review most beers, due to the nature of this amazing brew I don't think I would drink more than about 8 oz. of it at a time anyway (though I would definitely want to). Therefore, I feel justified in posting the notes and ratings that I took down at the tasting.

A: Pours pitch black with a beautiful tan head. Just a little lacing, but I can also see lots of legs sliding down the sides of the glass.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, some oak, and warm, stinging alcohol. Definitely not your typical aroma, but still quite amazing.

T: Similar to the nose, but even better! Bourbon is very apparent, but is complemented quite well by flavors of vanilla, molasses, caramel, and chocolate. Some toasty malts are also apparent. Heat from the alcohol is pretty apparent, but it works well with everything that is going on.

M: Amazingly smooth, very little carbonation. Warms just like brandy or bourbon going down.

D: The epitome of a sipper. As I noted above, I wouldn't want to drink a lot of this in one sitting, but a good 8-12 oz serving would probably last you well over an hour if treated right. The flavors and aroma are so complex and amazing - I wish I had a few bottles of this to sip on during the cold winter months. I was ready for a let down after all the hype, but after trying this I think most of the hype is definitely deserved. I'm not sure it deserves to be on the ridiculously high pedestal most traders put it on, but it is most certainly one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2016 Vintage, poured from the bottle into a taster. Excellent mix of chocolate, dark fruit and barrel. Definitely boozy (as expected at 20% ABV) but was hoping it would be complemented by a more full-bodied feel.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2015 version poured into a snifter glass; color is rich and dark brown with no head. very nice lacing. smell is bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar, alcohol, toffee, dark malt. overtime the alcohol smell fades, but its strong at first, which isn't surprising given the abv and the age. taste follows the nose here: bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, malt, alcohol burn that fades to sweet. massively drinkable considering the abv, yet this is a slow and steady sipper that was shared over several hours. mouth was the biggest surprise; thinner than anticipated with very low carbonation.

a stellar take on the style, but also a beast of a beer. glad i got to try it and glad i have another in the cellar to age.

4.86/5  rDev +8.7%

An awesome birthday present from my lovely wife. Split two ways with my brother...

2011

750ml bottle

A - Pours pitch black with a one finger tan head that dissipates quickly. lacing is minimal...

S - Chocolate, molasses, caramel, vanilla, oak, and a good dose of Bourbon. Bourbon does not overwhelm as I was expecting. Very enticing...

T - Chocolate, molasses, oak/vanilla, and sweet caramel. Notes of roasted barley come through, but they are faint. This one is deliciously sweet. Bourbon and lingering vanilla on the finish. Bourbon is extremely smooth considering the abv. Amazing...

M - Smooth and creamy. Very impressed with how incredibly smooth this is. Drinks like a much smaller brew. Sits somewhere on the lighter side of full bodied scale with a moderate amount of carbonation...

O - Believe the hype. This one is fantastic. The Bruery definitely hit one out of the park here. Very excited to revisit this in the future...

Cheers...

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Decided to share a bottle of this with my good buddy Brian in celebration of a new job. Poured and served in a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Probably the thickest and darkest looking brew I've every had! Damn it's viscous! Before opening this bottle, I was a little worried about the amount of carbonation and head this beer was going exhibit (due to the overabundance of alcohol)...but I wasn't let down this time. I discovered that BT was able to produce a beautiful light brown colored head. The only knock would be the lack of head retention and lacing, but overall...a nice looking stout.

S: Took a fresh whiff when I first poured this beast and found the alcohol extremely over the top, but after letting it breathe for 5 or 10 minutes...it seemed to cool off quite a bit. Once this was done, I was able to pick up an assortment of aromas that included: brown sugar, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, anise, and more brown sugar. Just from the nose, you can tell this is one sticky beer.

T: The alcohol presence szx more subdued than the smell indicated. Again, tons of brown sugar molasses and dark chocolate backed up by vanilla bean, caramel, dark fruit, and anise. I was amazed by the incredible smoothness and cohesion of all the flavors. It's basically the Albert Pujols of beers. Has immense amounts of power and punch...but has a sophistication to hit for a high average.

M: Mildly carbonated, creamy, full-body; perfect!

D: Thought the bottle version and the higher serving temp would affect the overall drinkability, but I surprised to find this even more drinkable than the tap version. Yeah...you can taste the alcohol presence...but for 19.5%....no other beer within the area code of ABV can compete with BT.

Overall: The only major difference between the tap and bottle version...at least in my opinion...is the nose. At warmer temps, the alcohol is easily detectable...and at times, felt like I was getting buzzed even before I took a sip. Yet, I was able to extract more flavors and nuances than with the tap version. With that said, BT is among the top Impy stouts in the world. A must try. Cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Warning: Extremely delicious if you like bourbon-barrel aged beers

A: Black with caramel head, recedes fast
S: Bourbon, toffee, sugar, vanilla
T: Vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits
F: Very nice mouthfeel
O: Something really special if you get can get your hands on it, a great base beer for all their variants.

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

750 ml bottle generously shared by colonelforbin. Thanks Mike. 2010 vintage. Pours a dark black with a small light brown head that disappears pretty quickly. No lacing, which isn't surprising given the ABV. It does leave some legs on the glass when swirled. Aroma is big fudge brownie, vanilla, bourbon, and certainly quite a bit of alcohol as well. The taste is quite sweet with a lot of fudge brownie. A bit of vanilla, some caramel, and lots of bourbon as well as a bit of oak. Warming alcohol is noticeable on the finish. There's a light astringency as well. Full bodied. Manages to be very sweet without being syrupy. Low carbonation. Very good beer. I'm glad to have tried it, but it is not something I could drink a lot of.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- thick black motor oil, small tan head.

S- big bourbon notes followed by chocolate and a hint of coffee

T- following the nose, big bourbon followed by sweetness, booze, dark chocolate.

M- sticky and thick full body

O- a interesting, not overly complex but still good

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 750mL 4 ways (Thanks MrFootstones) 1/22/2010. Poured into a tulip glass.

Ar: Alcohol, sweet, dark caramel, chocolate, roast, strong vanilla, oak, very sweet and smooth aroma, brown malt. similar to GI BCS, Great full malt profile, molasses, earth, whiskey character increases with warmth

Ap: Black with mahogany around the edges, thick smooth dark tan head, very good retention, legs

F: Chocolate brown malt, light roast, syrupy sweet, alcohol very apparent in nostrils, molasses, dark caramel, whiskey spice, dried fruit, complex and full taste without being muddled, caramelized nuts, light fennel/anise, smoke hints at the end of the taste

M: clean but very present alcohol,low/medium carbonation, sticky and sweet, rich

O: Alcohol is strong but good, thick viscous and syrupy, Similar to the bourbon county stout (which i think is a bit better), a 6 oz pour was perfect, much more and it would have been difficult to finish, sweetness is balanced an unobtrusive, overall a great beer

Black Tuesday from The Bruery