Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 664 | Ratings: 3,722
4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

A - 2009 vintage. It pours pitch black with a small medium tan head that quickly recedes, leaving no lacing.

S - The bourbon presence is strong. It also has a lot of sweetness. There is also light vanilla and woody notes.

M - Full in body. Pretty thick with very light carbonation.

T - It's very sweet up front with chocolate, and molasses. It finishes with strong bourbon notes, light vanilla, and oak. There is a strong alcohol presence, which is to be expected.

This is a huge beer, I'm glad I got a chance to try it. If you like bourbon this beer is for you. Even though I enjoyed it, I don't think I would seek this beer out again. It's not bad, just way to strong. Took forever to finish it.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

First off, many thanks go to the BA now known as IronKrausen for hooking me up with this beer. He will be mentioned again in a future review involving a 5 year vertical of another great beer. More on that another day...

I'm not sure if I've ever told this story here before, but shortly before moving out to Portland back in May of this year, I put out an "In Person" trade request for Sierra Nevada Ken & Fritz's Ale. It didn't make it to the bottle shop I frequented in North Georgia, so it was definitely a want. MADhombrewer answered my post and we set up a meeting for some pints and the swap at Don Younger's fantastic Horse Brass Pub when I got to Portland. That initial trade has led to our friendship and more than a few bottles opened at each other's houses. Black Tuesday was the last bottle opened at our most night of "bottle popping". It was shared with my wife "TulipSnifter" and his wife-to-be "WitchesBrew". Nine bombers averaging about 8%-9% ABV were opened prior to this one so I was quite surprised to find glorious well written notes and scores typed into the memo pad section of my BlackBerry the next morning when I woke up at 10am with a splitting freaking headache. Onto the review now that the back story is out of the way. Very little embellishing has been added to these "real time" notes.

A: Poured into a stemless crystal Reidel brandy snifter, Black Tuesday appears sinister enough to propel the American economy into flat out bankruptcy. The super thick viscosity of the pour glugs into my glass to reveal a bottomless gash in the earth inky blackness with deep brown heartland soil edges. The very light fizzy walnut head dissipates quickly to reveal just a glass ring of bubbles. Swirling allows the liquid to creep up the sides of the glass and descend back to the body in legs. 4.5/5

S: Holy Hammer of Thor is this thing extreme! Without a doubt this is the most alcohol-centric beer I have ever smelled! Other Barrel Aged Imperial Stouts I have had like to showcase the barrel but this is a Rockette high kick to the olfactory's! I don't think I have to worry about my nose hairs for a while because they all just got singed off. The wonderful sweet Bourbon just dances everywhere. Black pepper spice, white pepper heat, and cinnamon warmth just dance a jig that I can't get enough of. My new standard for what -BAL stout should be. 5/5

T: Another wow to add to the list of previous tasters. If the aroma wasn't wild enough, this roller coaster ride of a beer just went for a double loop. Does this taste like what I expected 18% to be? Not even close! Sweet milk chocolate, sweet dates, sweet brown sugar, sweet caramel, sweet bourbon, and sweet cinnamon candies are all along for the cork screw turn on the track. I LOVE an overly sweet boozy beer and this fits the bill to a "T". 5/5

M: My Tongue is literally numb. It's definitely on the medium-low carbonated side but it's just so luxurious and smooth those bubbles may not even be needed. Take them away all together and you have something resembling Cognac. That is not a problem in my book. Despite the super-hero sized dessert sweetness in the taste, this actually finishes a little cleaner than I expected. 4.5/5

D: The next bottle of Black Tuesday I get is going to be opened by me and me alone! Seriously though, it's a beer that I could drink by myself should I really want to but would best be shared with others so its magnificence can be talked about. Saying "wow that shit is good" doesn't quite have the same impact when tucked away in a man-cave by one's self. Get a few other people to share a bottle with or they won't believe your fabled stories of Black Tuesday! 5/5

I actually looked into airplane tickets to attend the brewery release this year. At the time I thought it may not be worth it after adding up all the costs. Hopefully Patrick Rue can make a few more bottles of this for next year and maintain this level of quality because I will be trying like crazy to get tickets for the 2011 party. If I manage to do so, I don't expect to be the only new face there. This never was a secret to faithful local patrons of The Bruery and now I'm very much in the know as well. I hope to see everybody there next year!

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

A bottle of this fortuitously made its way to the Rochester BA Tasting this past Saturday at the Tap and Mallet. My heartfelt thanks go out to Richard and Daren for making this possible. While I don't usually review beers I've had at tastings, I had a decent 3-4 oz. serving of this. While that may be too small an amount to review most beers, due to the nature of this amazing brew I don't think I would drink more than about 8 oz. of it at a time anyway (though I would definitely want to). Therefore, I feel justified in posting the notes and ratings that I took down at the tasting.

A: Pours pitch black with a beautiful tan head. Just a little lacing, but I can also see lots of legs sliding down the sides of the glass.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, some oak, and warm, stinging alcohol. Definitely not your typical aroma, but still quite amazing.

T: Similar to the nose, but even better! Bourbon is very apparent, but is complemented quite well by flavors of vanilla, molasses, caramel, and chocolate. Some toasty malts are also apparent. Heat from the alcohol is pretty apparent, but it works well with everything that is going on.

M: Amazingly smooth, very little carbonation. Warms just like brandy or bourbon going down.

D: The epitome of a sipper. As I noted above, I wouldn't want to drink a lot of this in one sitting, but a good 8-12 oz serving would probably last you well over an hour if treated right. The flavors and aroma are so complex and amazing - I wish I had a few bottles of this to sip on during the cold winter months. I was ready for a let down after all the hype, but after trying this I think most of the hype is definitely deserved. I'm not sure it deserves to be on the ridiculously high pedestal most traders put it on, but it is most certainly one of the best beers I've ever had the pleasure of tasting.

4.86/5  rDev +8.7%

An awesome birthday present from my lovely wife. Split two ways with my brother...

2011

750ml bottle

A - Pours pitch black with a one finger tan head that dissipates quickly. lacing is minimal...

S - Chocolate, molasses, caramel, vanilla, oak, and a good dose of Bourbon. Bourbon does not overwhelm as I was expecting. Very enticing...

T - Chocolate, molasses, oak/vanilla, and sweet caramel. Notes of roasted barley come through, but they are faint. This one is deliciously sweet. Bourbon and lingering vanilla on the finish. Bourbon is extremely smooth considering the abv. Amazing...

M - Smooth and creamy. Very impressed with how incredibly smooth this is. Drinks like a much smaller brew. Sits somewhere on the lighter side of full bodied scale with a moderate amount of carbonation...

O - Believe the hype. This one is fantastic. The Bruery definitely hit one out of the park here. Very excited to revisit this in the future...

Cheers...

4.91/5  rDev +9.8%

750ml bottle.

color: black, light brown head which quickly diminishes.

nose: caramel, wood, bourbon

taste: sweet caramel, brown sugar, wood (with some charring), vanilla, light dark fruit (prune), very complex

finish: starts sweet, turns acidic ( diminishes with oxidation ), ends with a mild bitterness and some remaining caramel.

overall: I poured this at 50F degrees which was clearly to cold. 55F or 60F is a better starting point. This beer also benefits from oxidation (about 15-30 minutes). Once at the right temperature and oxidized the flavors fully come through.

My impression: This is a "best in class" imperial stout.

Disclaimer: 5 ratings from me do not mean "no room for improvement". I simply do not believe in the concept. 5 rating from me means "best in class" at the time of the tasting.

updated: 12/31/14

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Decided to share a bottle of this with my good buddy Brian in celebration of a new job. Poured and served in a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Probably the thickest and darkest looking brew I've every had! Damn it's viscous! Before opening this bottle, I was a little worried about the amount of carbonation and head this beer was going exhibit (due to the overabundance of alcohol)...but I wasn't let down this time. I discovered that BT was able to produce a beautiful light brown colored head. The only knock would be the lack of head retention and lacing, but overall...a nice looking stout.

S: Took a fresh whiff when I first poured this beast and found the alcohol extremely over the top, but after letting it breathe for 5 or 10 minutes...it seemed to cool off quite a bit. Once this was done, I was able to pick up an assortment of aromas that included: brown sugar, chocolate, vanilla, caramel, anise, and more brown sugar. Just from the nose, you can tell this is one sticky beer.

T: The alcohol presence szx more subdued than the smell indicated. Again, tons of brown sugar molasses and dark chocolate backed up by vanilla bean, caramel, dark fruit, and anise. I was amazed by the incredible smoothness and cohesion of all the flavors. It's basically the Albert Pujols of beers. Has immense amounts of power and punch...but has a sophistication to hit for a high average.

M: Mildly carbonated, creamy, full-body; perfect!

D: Thought the bottle version and the higher serving temp would affect the overall drinkability, but I surprised to find this even more drinkable than the tap version. Yeah...you can taste the alcohol presence...but for 19.5%....no other beer within the area code of ABV can compete with BT.

Overall: The only major difference between the tap and bottle version...at least in my opinion...is the nose. At warmer temps, the alcohol is easily detectable...and at times, felt like I was getting buzzed even before I took a sip. Yet, I was able to extract more flavors and nuances than with the tap version. With that said, BT is among the top Impy stouts in the world. A must try. Cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Warning: Extremely delicious if you like bourbon-barrel aged beers

A: Black with caramel head, recedes fast
S: Bourbon, toffee, sugar, vanilla
T: Vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits
F: Very nice mouthfeel
O: Something really special if you get can get your hands on it, a great base beer for all their variants.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2015 version poured into a snifter glass; color is rich and dark brown with no head. very nice lacing. smell is bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar, alcohol, toffee, dark malt. overtime the alcohol smell fades, but its strong at first, which isn't surprising given the abv and the age. taste follows the nose here: bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, malt, alcohol burn that fades to sweet. massively drinkable considering the abv, yet this is a slow and steady sipper that was shared over several hours. mouth was the biggest surprise; thinner than anticipated with very low carbonation.

a stellar take on the style, but also a beast of a beer. glad i got to try it and glad i have another in the cellar to age.

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

750 ml bottle generously shared by colonelforbin. Thanks Mike. 2010 vintage. Pours a dark black with a small light brown head that disappears pretty quickly. No lacing, which isn't surprising given the ABV. It does leave some legs on the glass when swirled. Aroma is big fudge brownie, vanilla, bourbon, and certainly quite a bit of alcohol as well. The taste is quite sweet with a lot of fudge brownie. A bit of vanilla, some caramel, and lots of bourbon as well as a bit of oak. Warming alcohol is noticeable on the finish. There's a light astringency as well. Full bodied. Manages to be very sweet without being syrupy. Low carbonation. Very good beer. I'm glad to have tried it, but it is not something I could drink a lot of.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A- thick black motor oil, small tan head.

S- big bourbon notes followed by chocolate and a hint of coffee

T- following the nose, big bourbon followed by sweetness, booze, dark chocolate.

M- sticky and thick full body

O- a interesting, not overly complex but still good

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Split a 750mL 4 ways (Thanks MrFootstones) 1/22/2010. Poured into a tulip glass.

Ar: Alcohol, sweet, dark caramel, chocolate, roast, strong vanilla, oak, very sweet and smooth aroma, brown malt. similar to GI BCS, Great full malt profile, molasses, earth, whiskey character increases with warmth

Ap: Black with mahogany around the edges, thick smooth dark tan head, very good retention, legs

F: Chocolate brown malt, light roast, syrupy sweet, alcohol very apparent in nostrils, molasses, dark caramel, whiskey spice, dried fruit, complex and full taste without being muddled, caramelized nuts, light fennel/anise, smoke hints at the end of the taste

M: clean but very present alcohol,low/medium carbonation, sticky and sweet, rich

O: Alcohol is strong but good, thick viscous and syrupy, Similar to the bourbon county stout (which i think is a bit better), a 6 oz pour was perfect, much more and it would have been difficult to finish, sweetness is balanced an unobtrusive, overall a great beer

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a deep, opaque black. Stone colored head that diminishes to a few bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Smells of heavy licorice. Some raisin. It hits you very hard right up front. A lot going on and very rich and heavy, a bit of a roasted scent. Bitter dark chocolate, cocoa smell.

Tastes sweet. A lot of dark fruit, blackberries, licorice. A lingering hazelnut aftertaste in there at the end. The alcohol is extremely masked which is an incredible surprise. As it warms, caramel and chocolate notes seem to seep through and become more prevalent.

Surprisingly smooth for the heftiness of the brew and the onslaught of smell and flavor. The carbonation has slight bite to it, but its not too bad and balanced by the malt load.

The drinkability is low due to the fact that you can't have very many of these. It's so rich and heavy in alcohol. It's quite the treat but a doozy.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%

Got this beer at the Great Amercian Beer Fest multiple times.
Pours deep space dark black with a caramel head that disolves quickly.
Smells extremely intense and complex. Nots of caramel, dark fruits are very heavy and range from dates to bing cherrys and apricots. Chocolate and coffee round out the nose with a boozy undertone and essences of vanilla and charred wood and roasted marshmellow. Rich orange marmelade and maple even follow through.
Taste is more intense than the smell. Thick, fudge like mocha sweetness with a huge raisen and dark fruit character found more often in barleywines. Honey notes and slight vanilla hints turn up at the end with a good constantly growing alcohol warmth.
I love the complexity of this beer and it's very heavy indeed so go slow. The mouthfeel is moderately heavy but the complexity of flavors make it seem more thick. Love this beer

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks Hophead101 for breaking this out during the epic tasting! The Holy Grail or RIS ?? I'd say so...

Appearance:

Upon popping the cap and cutting the wax off the neck there was a decent amount of carbonation gasses that cam from the large bottle. On the pour this baby comes out jet black like 10W-30 motor oil and will not let any amount of light pass through it. I was left with a dark dark chocolate colored head that was maybe a half an inch thick and slowly dissipated as I sipped away. When I give a little swirl there is a massive amount of lacing going on here , it seems to stain the glass deep red like iodine and crawls ever so slowly down the walls.

Smell:

Wow, huge bouquet of black chocolate, figs, dark whiskey soaked cherries, heat alcohol, cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, oak tannins and even some Raisin Bran. There is just a load of aromas going on here that you almost have to try to believe very complex.

Taste:

Man, does it get better than this ? I'm going with one of the best RIS I ever had. Surprisingly very smooth and the alcohol is hidden very well. Figs, cream, cocoa whiskey, sharp barrel notes, warming alcohol some ash and meaty tones. I cant get over how easy this drinks which is very dangerous. Very sweet molasses, and vanilla round out this robust ale.

Drinkability:

Lets be real here, your not going to pound a 16oz glass of this but damn would I love to try. This is very slow sipping and isn't for the faint of heart so its drinkability is a little lower but still makes for a epic tasting ale.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Generously shared by UMNbeerhunter. Thanks Joe.

I wondered if the day I got to try this would ever come? Fortunate enough to be invited to a tasting and this beauty was on the docket. Poured into my Darkness snifter. My 3oz pour is black with brown on the outskirts. A good looking mocha colored head sets atop. I make sure I smell the bottle before I pass it down the line. It smells exactly like a sweet chocolate chip cookie soaked in booze. That doesn't sound at all horrible does it! (sarcasm right there folks) This beer is pretty damn sweet. A lot of chocolate and bourbon. Some amount of dark fruit in there. I've read that the alcohol is hidden well for being 18%. I say false. The hot bite is certainly there. Leaves your throat very warm and you can feel it trickle down into your chest. Me personally I liked that aspect. It's a big giant beer. Lots of bourbon and chocolate.

Ultimately I am really glad I was able to try this. So much hype around it that it pulls you in. It was a good beer but not excellent or the best I've ever had by any means. There were other stouts poured at this tasting as well. In my opinion Rare was far superior. If you don't have to trade away half your cellar it is worth a shot.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Finally opening this bad boy for the occasion of my 100th review. I absolutely loved this stuff on tap at the release and I can't wait to find out if it's as good in the bottle. From notes 11/08/09 shared with a friend. 750ml bottle poured into a Bruery tulip. Can't help but hear the guitar riff from the famous poolside scene in Fast Times at Ridgemont High as I pour this epic brew...

This pours about as black as beer comes. Very briefly forms a medium sized tan head with strong red highlights then fades away almost completely. Leaves near zero lacing as I swish it around the glass.

Aroma jumps right out of the bottle and up the nostrils even before you pour it. Strong scents of chocolate and vanilla compete for supremacy as the dominant smell and it's really not clear which comes out on top. I'm getting some maraschino cherries in the background as well. Very nice.

Strong dark chocolate and powdery cocoa notes continue on the palate along with a hefty dose of anise, some maple syrup, blackberries, and a very faint trace of coffee. As was the case on tap, alcohol heat is conspicuous by its relative absence. Don't know how they did it. Oaky vanilla is still detectable here but not as much of a major player as it was on the aroma. I'm not picking up much in the way of distinct Bourbon and wood notes common in Bourbon barrel aged beers other than the vanilla, which actually starts to reassert itself as the beer warms up.

Feel is creamy and light, not as thick as the most viscous beers in the style but it works well in this case. Carbonation is actually a little on the low side but I was so distracted with the flavors I would never have noticed if feel wasn't one the categories on this site. I don't like soda-like carbonation on stouts though so no complaints. It seems ridiculous to call this 19.5 abv monster highly drinkable but it's true. Too easy to drink actually, in a sense I'm almost glad this is not easily available. If this was a regular I'd drink it to the point of intoxication on a regular basis.

Hype aside, this is overall one of the more interesting beers I've tried recently. It's definitely an extreme beer though, so probably not for everyone. It's quite an accomplishment in itself making a beer this strong that isn't a sticky cloying mess, let alone making one that's highly drinkable and delicious but Patrick and the crew nailed it.

Appearance: black, pours 1 finger of thick tan head, fades quickly. Almost no lacing.

Smell: roasted malt, bourbon, vanilla, a bit boozy, oak, leather.

Taste: bourbon, sweet, oak, vanilla, roasted malt,boozy.

Mouthfeel: full bodied, moderated carb., boozy.

Overall: a great beer. Very complex, boozy, but not overly so considering the ABV. Worth the hype.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 vintage 19.2

A: Is not an incredibly dark beer - murky brown/ruby red tinges along the sides of the glass. Sits pitch black in the glass. No head to speak of at all.

S: Amazing! Incredibly balanced and not very boozy at all, really. Sweet vanilla, coconut, and bourbon caramel. Dark chocolate, milk chocolate, some booze soaked fruits - plums and cherries. Some oak is present as well. There is a distinctive spiciness - cinnamon and gingerbread. Just a very inviting, strongly aromatic, brilliantly balanced.
-note: I'd give this a 5 but I want to see what CR brings to the table

T: Very sweet but balanced. The sweetness counters the alcohol so well. Rich chocolate, tons of sweet vanilla/coconut/oak, some booze soaked dark fruits, cherry juice, and some coffee at the finish. The spiciness from the aroma comes in at the finish as well.

P: Full, but not very viscous. Very smooth. There is a pop of carbonation that subsides with some swirling.

O: An astounding malt beverage. The impeccable balance and complexity makes for an exceedingly enjoyable drinking experience.

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: Bottle (dated 8.25.15)
Consumed: 12.4.15

A: 4.25 Pours a very dark brown with a small, light tan head that dissipates quickly. Looks a bit thinner than expected.

S: 4.5 Immediately struck with caramel, raisins, chocolate, vanilla, and quite a bit of bourbon. There are some roasted malt and coffee aromas going on, but they are definitely dominated by the sweeter elements.

T: 4.75 As expected, this is a sweet beer. Still, it’s surprisingly balanced walking the line between strong ale and stout. Like the nose, the flavor has plenty of raisin, caramel, vanilla, and oak. There’s also tons of maple and molasses on the palate too, blending into relatively subtle roasted malt, licorice, and berry character and making the whole experience more interesting. The beer is just slightly dry and bitter on the finish.

M: 4.5 I had the 2014 version prior and felt it was a bit thin. 2015 is much more substantial, almost chewy; it’s still not to BCBS or parabola levels of thickness, but that might help this beer overall. The carbonation is great and the finish almost makes this huge beer feel drinkable.

O: 4.5 This is a fantastic beer with tons of interesting flavors and aromas. It’s also very impressive how drinkable it is considering it’s nearly 20%. Not exactly the prototype of a BA stout, but definitely a great example of what bourbon barrels can do to strong beers.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Sampled with RandomBattle and some others on a NY trip home:

Appearance - there is no head whatsoever on this beer, very reddish brown in color, like the color of dark leather

Smell - vanilla, and bourbon. Very enjoyable, probably one of the best smelling BA Stouts

Taste - Wow this beer will creep up on you. With such a smooth taste I can imagine downing more than I realize when that ABV hits me. Lots of dark fruits, sweet molasses and a bit of vanilla towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Considering the style, its pretty thin, not the huge chunky mess that some other stouts have become at this point. However, I think it did work out pretty well considering its drinkability.

Overall - great beer, I realize its very hyped but I'm impressed with what I got when I got to try it

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours black with amber tinged edges, smallish brown head. Aroma is bourbon vanilla, juicy raisins, chocolate, redman tobacco, juiciness. Sweet chocolate, vanilla and oak, very decadent indeed. This is what SA TB should taste like sans the soy. Carbonation is medium low, fairly thick mouthfeel.

3.97/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Black as the name implies. Minor amount of medium brown head. No visible sediment.

S: Very complex. Cocoa powder, tar, molasses, hickory, graham crackers, chocolate candy corn, and caramel corn. Dark dried fruits, oak, and chocolate-covered dried tropical fruits (ie. chocolate covered mango or chocolate covered pineapple slices). Flat coca cola?

T: Cocoa, molasses, chocolate toffee, alcohol, and many of the scent elements.

M: Good mouthfeel. Above average density and viscosity.

D: Not particularly drinkable. Tasty in limited quantity, and at cellar temperature or refrigerated temperature. However, a full glass is a disaster in waiting, and room temperature is out of the question.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

had ourselves a beer friends road trip from petaluma to placentia to pick 3 bottles up. just had one last night poured into a bruery glass

-dark as beer can get. smallish mocha head that stuck around for the most part but not as much as hoped. basically it looked like it should, but not totally perfect

-bunch of bourbon on the 1st smell. then a bunch of dark chocolate really starts to open up throughout

-dark chocolate and the bourbon are the most glaring. after that i just wrote down words instead of sentences cuz there was so much going on...sweet, port, tobacco, dessert, cigars, dark fruits

-very warming, yet not much of an alcohol bite. always amazing from cold to warm

-despite all the hype, miles driven, money spent, long wait...would have to say this is the best beer i have ever had

4.96/5  rDev +11%

2013 vintage:
Good lord this is a beast of a beer.

A- Not super impressive. Typical high ABV stout; little to no head. Basically pitch black, but not the darkest I've seen.
S- GOOD GOD. The aroma on this thing is incredible. This was done side-by-side with BCBS, which smelled simple and boring compared to this thing (and I'm a BCBS fanboy). Sweet vanilla, charred oak, bourbon, licorice. Unbelievable.
T- I was worried that the taste wouldn't live up to the aroma, but there is no worries here. Wave after wave of dark fruits, chocolate, sweet vanilla, and bourbon. This is not a beer that will "sneak up on you." This beer lets you know its going to dominate you from the beginning.
M- Typical high ABV stout. Pours thick, though nothing like TenFIDY. Low carbonation. Sticky as hell, but smooth. Foams well when swished in the mouth.

O- Need I say more? Best BBA Stout I've ever had hands down. This thing is a monster, so it may not be for everyone, but if you are looking for something to blow you away, this'll do it.

4.07/5  rDev -8.9%

2011 Vintage (18.3% ABV)

A: Dark as night with a medium brown head: think caramel or toasted almond. About two fingers that quickly receded to a ring of film that rested around the walls of the glass.

S: Initially the nose is dominated by bourbon (really pleasant vanilla notes) and a considerable amount of heat; there is a decent amount of oak that lingers in the background.

T: Big bourbon notes upfront, which are followed by a considerable amount of bitter dark chocolate/caramel sweetness; a bit of dark fruit is showcased out the back (raisins/figs/sweet plum).

M: light carbonation with a syrupy consistency.

O: "Its too much of a heavy muffin." However, there are really interesting flavors being showcased in both the taste and aroma. If the beer was toned down a notch in the alcohol department, it would really allow all of the other aspects to shine at their full potential. One last note: as the beer began to warm, the sweetness increased exponentially.

*Anything in "quotes" was said by my girlfriend.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery