Black Tuesday | The Bruery

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

#69

Ratings: 3,947 |  Reviews: 705

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.07/5  rDev -10.4%

After having multiple times I guess it is time to put this one in the books. Thanks to corby112 for the most recent sharing of this one in the form of a 2009 vintage bottle.

A-Deep, dark, brutally black. Highlight? What's a highlight? A thin reddish tinged head quickly dissipates to a wisp of retention and leaves no lace whatsoever. Foam does reform with a bit of invigoration.

S-Fat dose of bourbon goodness up front with dry oak and sweet vanilla taking the center stage. Dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, eel sauce and dark cherries struggle to rise up out of the alcohol heat ooze.

T-Massive bourbon laden roasted malt, dark chocolate and dark fruit batter the palate with a non stop barrage of alcohol soak flavours. Massively complex with just so much going on it becomes hard to concentrate.

M-Medium-heavy to almost chewy bodied with a strong alcohol burn and LONG lingering flavours.

D-For 18+% it is surely more drinkable than expected but it becomes tedious and uninteresting after awhile. I don't think I could ever drink an entire 750 ml bottle on my own without some money on the line. Good? Sure! Life altering, no!

4.15/5  rDev -8.6%

**revisited the 2009 vintage at a recent tasting over the holidays. The flavors and booze have really come together and the alcohol is not as dominant as it was a year ago. I enjoyed my pour much more and went back for another.

Big thanks to Scotty (aka hooliganlife) for bringing this to our STLHops Tasting and for Mike for hosting. Share among several people...I got a good 5oz pour into my tasting glass.

A - Pours black, slim tan-colored head which disipiates into nothingness. The look turns straight back quickly after the pour. no really lacing or retention to speak of, just midnight black in a glass.

S - Chocolate and boozy notes, some burnt malts, molasses. Mostly a mix of sweet and boozy, kinda messy compared to most other stouts that are considered the "crem de la crem". Nothing near mind-blowing here at all.

T - Chocolate syrup, lots and lots of booze, roasted malts, a hint of oak. The booze pretty much dominates this. Although it's hot, I could not tell that this is 19.5% and if I had to guess, I'd say 12% or so. Although the alcohol is well-hidden, there's still a bunch of it and combined with the sweet notes, it makes this beer messy.

M - Full bodied, a big beer, rich and smooth. Probably the best thing about this beer is the feel. I like the way this coats the palate...it sticks with you.

D - My 5oz (approximate) was way more then enough for me. I was done with this one after my initial taste and I don't think I could have gone back for seconds (or enjoyed it). I've had many other stouts that I consider to be superior to this brew. Although it's good, I don't consider it to be great.

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.4/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 Vintage

A - Pours pitch black with a small and fizzy chocolate-milk colored head. Fades pretty quickly, leaving almost no lacing.

S - Chocolate, molasses, caramel, vanilla, oak, and a good dose of Bourbon. Bourbon does not overwhelm as I was expecting.

T - Lots of chocolate with bourbon , vanilla and licorice.. As it warms, the dark fruits and sweet brown sugar makes it more complex. A mild alcohol burn is there as a reminder to take your time sipping it.

M - Mouthfeel is nice an coating, oily, slight carbonation. Alcohol is a bit warm but fits the intensity of this beer perfectly.

O - Amazing beer and the best I've had that's over 15% ABV. Can't wait to try Chocolate Rain next.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

A - Very dark brown. Some head, not much. No lace.

S - Booze and dark cooked fruits. I feel like I am munching into a cooked fig.

T - Beautiful mix of dark fruits, sugar, booze. It's like a fruitcake :).

M - Low carb, high body, good balance.

D - Glad to see what all the hoopla was about. Nice beer.

3.89/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is cola brown, quite a bit lighter than I expected. Thin head, no lacing, some clarity. Nose is bourbon, fudge, char, and oak. Tons of sugar on the nose. Taste is super sweet with chocolate and vanilla, bourbon. Very hot towards the end, cloyingly sweet. Mouthfeel is hot with mellow carbonation. Overall, this is a very sweet beer but the astronomical abv is well hidden.

4.3/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a black color with a dark cocoa head. Head fades away to a small ring of bubbles.

S- Very wonderful smell and a lot going on here. Woody, sweet malts, bit of vanilla, caramel and molasses. Some chocolate and alcohol here too.

T- A nice mix of flavors sweet malts, vanilla, chocolate, figs, black licorice and caramel. The alcohol is here but not nearly as strong as I expected.

M- Very full in body and low carbonation. Almost like syrupy too.

D- Fairly easy to drink maybe just a little too sweet for me tastes but still solid. Split this one with a great group of guys at DLD.

3.83/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2015 version

Poured into a snifter. It is a little less viscous looking than a lot of the other Bruery beers. It is an glossy jet black with a dark brown head that settles quickly into the beer.

It smells phenomenal. Lots of rich aromas of coconut, vanilla, marshmallow, bourbon, charred oak, chocolate, barley, and raisins/dates. Alcohol is noticeable, but nothing unexpected at 20%.

All of that gets pretty much squashed by a ton of alcohol in the flavor. It is borderline undrinkable cold. As it warms, you can start to get some charred oak, Rice Krispy treat like marshmallow sweetness, coconut, licorice, and rich milk chocolate, but it is still overshadowed by a boozy burn. It is very rich overall, and reminds me of a Bourbon County beer with the distinct aroma and flavor. Not as heavy of a body though. Between my brother and I, we struggled to drink half a bottle. For what it's worth, I don't think World Wide Stout is nearly as hot and I drink bourbon neat, so I feel like I am a pretty objective opinion.

4.49/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I brought this bottle and shared it with friends at beerloco's house on New Years Day.

Appearance: First off let me mention that the appearance experience really starts when you look at the bottle. It's one sexy label. Beer pours opaque with 2 fingers of tan foam that shows some retention and lots of lace.

Smell: Loads of bourbon, molasses, cocoa powder, deep roasted malts (20 of them to be precise!) Really pungent and really impressive. The nose makes you want to just dive right in to the tasting :)

Taste: Huge flavors that are blended extremely well in my opinion. The 19.5% abv pulls a Jimmy Hoffa on you, as it's nowhere to be found! I mean come on, how do you conceal 19.5% alcohol so well? I'm impressed. Loads of bourbon, roasted malt, vanilla, molasses, and perhaps a touch of brown sugar.

Mouthfeel: This one is thick and syrupy but comes off so creamy! Don't let the thickness perturb you as this beer is smooth!

Drinkability: If it wasn't for the well hidden 19.5% abv I'd give this one a 5.0 for this category as well. The flavor profile is great, the mouthfeel fantastic, and you just want more of it each time you sip it!

Believe the Hype!

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

4.76/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%