Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 664 | Ratings: 3,722
4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

20 malt batch consumed on 08/01/2009 on tap at The Bruery. I toyed with the idea of driving up here to try this on draft, and the only thing that was stopping me was the fact that I already had a couple bottles reserved. With each new review of the beer that I read, the urge to head north grew stronger, and finally I found myself on the 5 North last Saturday riding for victory (more bottles and a draft sample).

The liquid is black in my snifter, as any good Imperial Stout should be. The toffee head is mountainous, and it leaves behind thick legs on the sides which are quickly reanimated by a swirl of the glass. The retention is excellent, finally choosing to settle into a lingering froth of various shades of brown. Great looking beer.

The aroma is magnificent. The dark fruit component is made up of grapes, dark cherries, and plums. Blackstrap molasses is present. The 19% is not at all represented in the nose. You could tell me the ABV of this beer is 7% and I'd believe you (If I hadn't already seen the legs). Notes of brown sugar accompany vanilla, oak, and rich toffee sweetness. Dark chocolate is noticeable, and the bourbon is very well integrated into the aroma. It doesn't overpower and it doesn't take center stage. The candied sugar is excellent, but it's the maple that really stands out for me.

The flavor is rich chocolate and toffee with bourbon and oak. The sweetness is sugary but nowhere near cloying. It's made up of maple, which tastes wonderful, and candied, which is also fantastic. I commented on the well integrated bourbon in the aroma, and that trend continues in the flavor. I really love bourbon dominated beers, but there's so much going in Black Tuesday that balance is key, and any overshadowing flavor would be to its detriment. The dark fruit complexity is made up of plums, dark cherries, and grapes. Blackstrap molasses is present, and once again the alcohol hints at an ABV much lower than 19.5%. I honestly can't believe it. The only evidence of such an ABV is in the warming finish and the body that is evident in the legs in the appearance. The alcohol is masterfully hidden. The finish exhibits alcohol warming, with lingering toffee, bourbon, and maple sugar.

The beer is full bodied with a nice medium level of draft carbonation. I really hope this carbonation level carries through to the bottles. The mouthfeel is creamy, silky, chewy, and at times it is sticky.

All aboard. This is one of the best Imperial Stouts around and you'll just have to deal with it. Black Tuesday is a paragon.

4.47/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Umberto at Curran's tasting.

Pours a deep, dark black, with a small, quarter inch head, and not much lacing.

Smells like bourbon, chocolate, booze, caramel, and more booze.

This one is a whopper, so much here. Surprisingly, the booziness is not overpowering- it is hot as hell, but that factors in well with every other flavor, and elevates it a bit. Tons of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, burnt sugar, oak, coconut, cream, molasses. All of those flavors combine together so well into this flavor punch to the face.

Thick bodied, so gloopy and viscous. The mouthfeel is so chewy but creamy. Low carbonation. Due to the alcohol, this one is a real slow sipper.

Glad I finally got to try this one, it's a monster, but a delicious monster too. Treading the line between beer and cognac or something.

3.99/5  rDev -10.7%

Huge thanks to javib458 for sending this beast to me.

2009 vintage, 20 malts, son!

Pours pitch black and completely opaque without even the slightest hint of lighter color and a half finger dark mocha head that dissapears immediately. No lacing at all.

Boozy bourbon aroma with hints of earthy oak and vanilla. slightly roasted chocolate malt as well as some hazelnut and toffee but the nose of this beer is all about the barrel. There's a nice vanilla marshmallow presence that cuts down the hot spirit character. Subtle soy sauce in the nose as well and the bourbon dominates but the malt presence becomes more evident as it warms.

Chewy medium body with a huge blast of bourbon that lingers troughout into a sweet, hot finish with plenty of warmth in the chest. Slightly viscous but a bit thinner than I expected based on the appearance. As it warms the silky chocolate malts become more apparent but overall this is kind of a one dimensional bourbon bomb. Faint hints of chocolate, toffee and licorice. Lots of alcohol sweetness and subtle soy spice flavor but this beer is actually pretty drinkable with a relatively well masked ABV. I would have never guessed that this was over 18%.

Overall this beer is pretty tasty and easier drinking than expecting considering the ABV but it's a bit one dimensional and thinner bodied than I prefer for the style.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The beer pours out in a dark brown color, black in the glass with some brown, reddish hues coming through the edges in the light.

The aroma hits of huge sweetness. Marshmallow, vanilla, coconut, bourbon, milk chocolate. Lots of alcohol heat. Almost like a bourbon and sweet chocolate/coffee liqueur.

The flavor follows with that rich sweetness up front. Bourbon, sweet brown sugar, caramel, some bitter chocolate and coffee. This is followed with lots of vanilla, toasted coconut, oak. Alcohol burns as it goes down, but the beer is not very alcohol forward on the palate as sweetness dominates.

Great barrel complexities, but the beer is generally very sweet. A still complex and incredible beer.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my homies rhertan and RJ for my first BT, most recently again tried with youradhere

A:Poured a big jet black with good carbonation and a brown head.

S: Nose is booze, cocoa, black licorice, hint of vanila and coffee.

T: Up, down, round and round. Every time I sipped it I picked a new note. Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, toasted grains, liquorice, vanilla, coffee, wood. End is sharp, bitter and dry but complex. Booze is well masked.

M: Big feel, well carbonated, lots of taste.
Creamy and hot..pervert..
O: Drinkability is well, good. For the style it is awesome but man is it hot n heavy by the numbers.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Split with JLindros poured into a Kate the Great tulip.

A - Poured a very nice dark black hue with a quarter inch tan head that left light lacing, solid.

S - Aromas of chocolate, bourbon, sweet malts heaven, so so good.

T - Taste is chocolatey, bourbon, super hot bourbon, vanilla, barrel, sweet malts, support delicious.

M - Mouthfeel is rather hot but the carbonation is spot on, very drinkable, got but not oppressive.

O - Overall I loved this beer, really awesome but super hot still. Love it but very hot.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours much, much thinner than I expected. Looks like cola, but slightly more concentrated, with a thin khaki head. The aroma is chock full of raisins, maple syrup, dark chocolate, coffee, a mild roasty note, vanilla, bourbon, and some toffee. On the palate, the beer feels thin and finishes hot, which is to be expected of an 18-19% ABV beer such as this. However the flavors are rich and intense, with the same notes as evident on the nose.

4.74/5  rDev +6%

From 750mL wax-topped bottle to tasting glass
at my 30th Beerthday Bash on 9/23/11
*From notes

Vintage 2010

-- A BIG thanks to baycat for hookin' me up with this one. Cheers, Ryan! --

A: It's not called "Black Tuesday" for nothing. This monster is as dark as the pits of hell. A good, generous pour yields a 1.25 finger head with minimal lacing.

S: Just fantastic. It's boozy, yet there's a focused concentration of dark chocolate malt and toasted tannin. One of the better bouquets I've had the pleasure of encountering.

T: Now I get it. The density of flavor here is unmatched. It packs such an immense amount of wow per ounce - I'm astounded. I found it to be like liquid brownie batter, which is a really, really good thing. Is the 18% ABV detectable? Absolutely, yet it's so well integrated that I have a hard time complaining about it. This is a delicious beer.

M: Not as viscous as I'd expected, yet it doesn't hold the brew back in any way. It's soft and silky, yet the carbonation adds a wonderful layer of texture that enhances the flavor profile of the beer.

O: I didn't want to like The Bruery's Black Tuesday. Really, I went into this assuming I'd be drinking the most overrated ADIS on the planet. Yet from the moment the bouquet hit my nose and the heavenly liquid entered my mouth, it was over. I must concede that yes, this is a top notch Imperial Stout, and worthy of it's many accolades. There isn't a single facet of the beer that I can harshly critique. It's God damn delicious.

To put it simply: this is a masterpiece.

3.92/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to hopderek for a pour of this bottle.

A: The stout is black, still as night and under siege. An off-white head comes along for the ride but doesn't amount to much.

S: The nose is punctuated by sweet bourbon. Darker stout aromas are present but take a backseat to the barrel.

T: The sweetness of the barrel, vanilla and dark fruits, along with the boozy strength stand out. Along side the barrel, the stout seems to be laiden with dark sugars and molasses, sweet but not cloying. The strength is hard to miss, rich and overpowering in every sip. The darker flavors, roasted as they are, fit in well amongst the sweet barrel flavors.

M: The mouthfeel is sweet, vanilla and stout flavors run strong through the ale. There is plenty of sweetness beyond the barrel, enough to border on Belgian stout territory.

D: Strong? Indeed. A good stout that makes use of its barrel provenance. It's big though, too big to really dig into.

4.96/5  rDev +11%

Enjoyed a bottle of this at a recent bottle share. Black Tuesday is an absolute beast of a beer in ABV and flavor. The bourbon barrels add delicious character to this fantastic brew.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

9/18/13 bottling date. into a tulip

pours a pitch black with a mild beige head. smell is big on ABV and malts..slight dark chocolate. the taste is very big on ABV and malty....big on the bourbon....huge body...sipper...mild carbonation.

overall very good..lovely

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

thanks to mtomlins for this - 2013 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a small size frothy head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, grains, coffee, wood, booze

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and faint coffee. There is also quite a bit of booze and some vanilla and wood.

Overall - One of the booziest beers I have ever had.. but this is not a bad thing. I was expecting this to be cloyingly sweet, but instead it still manages to remain quite drinkable especially given the ABV - not that sweet at all either. Definitely a good bottle to share and worth seeking out.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

750ml bottle poured into tulip 12/10/12 generously opened by alpinclimber with Mattsander and myself

A not black but dark brown with deep cola edges, no head or lace as expected but some sexy thin legs, looks good but far from as dark as I was expecting

S almost smells more like bourbon then a beer, booze is strong with some molasses, soy faint teriyaki and even some smoky bacon, I get some woody earthy notes and chocolate, smells pretty good

T the booze is strong but if it wasn’t I’d be concerned, not as much soy but the vanilla and chocolate liqueur that replaces it works better for me, most of what I smells still there in one form or another but improved upon

M flat but syrupy and thick, much thicker then I’d guess from the color, its hot but manageable, silky boozy and a lovely bourbon aftertaste, well done for such a massive beer

O this is amazing now and I can only imagine what this would be like in a decade or two, pretty intense brew, I need to use some strength getting my lips apart, seriously though diabetes in a glass

I’m pretty stoked I got to try this one and now I feel the need to own one so I can lay it down for ages. This will end up as a truly amazing beer in 10 or 20 years. Thanks for the crack at this one Adam

4.07/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours far from what I was expecting. Instead of a pitch black, viscous beer, it pours lighter than I expected. The body looks almost oily. Dark brown and somewhat thin looking but somehow very oily looking as well. Didn't get much head.

S-A giant whiff of boozy bourbon and all sorts of dark, concentrated maltiness. Loads of fudge and brownie. Some dark fruit and more spicy bourbon and even some vanilla.

T-I really have to applaud this beer for its exceptional integration of alcohol. I was expecting a tongue-sizzling wave of booze but it's surprisingly not nearly as aggressive. The bourbon notes are as powerful as in the nose. The fudge and brownie and other chocolate descriptors all flow across the tongue. Light soy sauce. Vanilla attributed to the bourbon. A big dose of dark fruit as well.

M-Oily, like it looks. Obviously hot. Should be far less drinkable. It's intoxicating in more ways than one. It really wraps you in and begs for more sipping. Super sweet and sticky.

O/D-Lucky to try this one. I enjoyed it but was far less enamored than most. I appreciate Black Tuesday's epic delivery but would not consider it to be anyway near one of the best beers I have had.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very good, very big stout. This was a tasty stout that is best enjoyed with friends. I could only handle about 6 ounces or so, but if you have four friends, that's perfect.

4.04/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - I am actually quite impressed for the ABV that this holds some carbonation, even though short lived resulting in just a mild lace ring I got a 1/8 inch of mocha head. Again I am surprised its not pitch black as it has some ruby hues to that base of the darkness.
S - Smell is very inviting of black currant, some port wine, and a heavy dose of bourbon. I can pick up mild notes of cocoa and dark fruits but it's faint.
T - WARNING the 2012 batch is boozy as hell. Even when warmed the bourbon notes smack you in the face then sweeten the tongue with one of the most heavy doses of caramel I ever tasted. When I get past the booze (very hard to do) It has an almost marshmallow like candy sweetness (and I love sweet beers) with what can only be described by me is a lashing of sugar plums and licorice. Very little chocolate (I could see why they made a version with cocoa nibs) or roast. As others described it's like a wine and I guess I was born to hate it since I can't stand wine.
M - Heavy if you swish this in your mouth prepare to gag a little bit as the bourbon is one of the most strongest I have ever encountered. As it warms to a near room temperature (55-60 degree's) it's almost unbearable of the level of bourbon.

Overall I shared this with my brother and even though he is not a craft beer drinker he helped me with 8oz of this. As I type I still have 2oz (of my 16) and it's so hard to choke down. I guess it's true that some people rate things higher when they pay the "rare" cost.

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours engine oil black with a thin, but dense creamy toffee colored head and no carbonation.

S - Light bourbon, light chocolate, dark fruit, and light oak tannin aroma.

T - Lots of bourbon flavor, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate, roasted molasses, and black anise. Very nice complexity.

M - Medium body and silky smooth.

O - Starts out hot from the alcohol, mellows as it breathes, and lets more flavor emerge.

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pitch black with extremely little head that disappears immediately leaving just an outer ring of foam around the glass.

S: This is a monster! Booze blast to the face. Chocolate/vanilla show up to say hey after the booze takes off, but not without wearing out its welcome!

T: BOOZE.. who woulda thought. Port wine, choc/vanilla, fudge, dark fruits. So much going on here. So many different complex taste attributes to this beast of a beer.

M: medium-full body and tingling/numbing booze. Enjoyable to sip on...only to sip on.

O: This is a beer I've always wanted to try, and it almost lived up to the hype but not quite. This beer is a great candidate for consuming with friends as an after dinner drink, or laying down to forget about for a few years. I feel sorry for the poor bastard that tries to take this one down on their own. Share w/ friends.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter. Huge thanks to cjacobsen for the generosity in sharing!

(A)- Pours fairly thick and pitch black. Produced a relatively low tan head but with this high a ABV, I was surprised there even was a head.

(S)- Rich as can be. Plenty of roasted components with lots of licorice and raisin. Some cocoa and molasses too. A bit of boozy heat but not as bad as I was expecting.

(T)- Very similar to the smell, only much much more restrained. Very very sweet with some dark fruits. Plenty of raisins in there. This got alot better once it warmed up some more; some nice cocoa and smooth caramel came through.

(M)- A good carbonation level and a decent balance. Very very sweet; almost borderline sugary. Would have liked to see more of the roasted components from the smell come through in the taste. This is seriously sweet. Superb ABV integration though for a massive 18.2%. This is smoother and easier on the palate than some 10-13% beers I can think of.

(D)- A sipper if there ever was one, however a tasty one at that. Extremely rich and sweet, but bringing it to a warmer temperature helped that out a bit. Glad to have finally tried this, but it is not worth giving your firstborn child for. It is very good mind you, but not THAT good to require you trading away your prized beers from your cellar to acquire.

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Revisited on 6/16/12.

Vintage 2011. Side by side with batch 2 of Chocolate Rain!

Poured into snifter from bomber bottle. Pours a black not quite opaque color with a small brownish tan head.

Smells of boozy bourbon, vanilla, and rich chocolate.

Taste is wonderful! Bourbon goodness right away with chocolate, marshmellows, and vanilla. Very sweet and rich. Finishes sweet with vanilla, oak, hint of leather & tobacco with even more bourbon.

Awesome mouthfeel heavy full bodied beer with low carbonation. Viscous, and coats the mouth first sip! Drinkable when you consider how high the ABV is. It still has that warming heat to it.

Overall: Its a beast of a beer. Drank side by side with Chocolate Rain, my preference goes to Chocolate rain over Black Tuesday, but you gotta have a great base beer to make Chocolate Rain.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

The much hyped Black Tuesday shared generously by Shane. I also managed to score a bottle thanks to Weibull, thanks, Jason! While it took a while to finish this, it was anything but a chore.

Looking at this beer, I ask myself: How much blacker can a beer get? The answer, my friends, is None more black. A dense dark brown head is present, hanging around leaving some foam as it settles into a ring. Incredibly dark, this beer has gorgeous legs, the only way I was able to tell that the the alcohol might be up there.

What an exceptional nose! Rich and layerd with rich chocolate cake, vanilla and bourbon. Devoid of alcohol, this is really quite outrageous. Reminiscent of OADL. Even the chocolate character is outrageously rich - I get layers of milk and dark chocolate as well as some cocoa powder. The vanilla is exceptionally incorporated and the bourbon is outstanding. Very faint rummy character, with some dark fruit - raisins soaked in bourbon and rum. Malted milk balls are present too. I have to mention that this is sweet, but also balanced, much along the lines of Dark Horizon 1st Ed. World Wide Stout/Darkness, this is not.

The palate opens with a ton of sweetness, mildly sugary with a rich and delicious molasses character. A touch sweet for my taste, this is still very very good. A lot of the chocolate complexity appears early on, with dark and milk chocolate character. Nougat like with toffee, bourbon and vanilla appear mid palate. Oak is reserved and while present, it's whelmed by the sweetness. Big in body with soft and smooth carbonation, the finish is LONG lasting with plenty of flavor, vanilla, bourbon and chocolate. Every now and then, I get a touch of a meaty character too. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden.

Evaluating the drinkability of a beer like this is difficult. While not quaffable, I have to admit that I drank 6oz of my 8oz pour in about 20 minutes and had to really hold myself back in the better interests of my sobriety. This really is a feat of brewing, thanks for sharing this with us, Shane.

**Edit 26 March 2011**

I shared a bottle of the 2010 batch at our Philly tasting.

The nose is a lot simpler - soy sauce and bourbon, brown sugar, booze, caramel. The palate opens with plenty of sugar, caramel, booze, brown sugar, vanilla, and all things sweet. Prunes, dates, raisins, rummy and bourbon are present. Intense. Sweet and moderately boozy on the finish, there's some port. Not as chocolate-like as the 09, there's a stunning lack of all things stout - no roast, no coffee, no chocolate. More of an American Strong Ale imo. 4.5/4/4.5/4/4

**Edit 23 Dec 2011**
Devin shared a bottle last night. Holy fucking fuck, is this beer a hot and boozy mess or what? It tastes like they dumped fucking Everclear in this, it's sinus-clearing boozy with plenty of chocolate and vanilla. Just too fucking intense, this vintage is nothing like the 2009. S/T/M=3.5/2.5/3

**Edit 26 Dec 2012**
Drinking a bottle of the 2011 release with my dad.

Hot, boozy, moderately messy, but a lot more enjoyable. Sweet caramel, vanilla and booze with some chocolate and dark fruit. The palate is similarly big and boozy, with plenty of vanilla and alcohol. Very sugary, this has some chocolate, but is mostly devoid of roast, chocolate and coffee. Enjoyable in small quantities.
3.5/3.5/3.5

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

750ml bottle from 2012, about 6oz poured into a snifter at Dustin's birthday tasting yesterday, 6.15.2013.

Aroma: Lots of bourbon and heat, which dominates the nose. But there are marshmallows and tons of chocolate, very sweet. It basically smelled like bourbon smores. Interesting! I thought the heat was really off-putting, but altogether this beer has a really, sweet and complex nose.

Colour: Pitch black, like a black hole. Not much of a head at all, which is not surprising for a high gravity beer like this. There isn't even a collar, and there isn't any lacing at all when I swirl it around. Its black, that's all I can expect from a beer called Black Tuesday.

Flavour: Really, really sweet. Like mentioned before, it tastes like a crap ton of chocolate, bourbon and a little vanilla sweetness. There's a lot going on here, but the best way to put it is hot, hot bourbon smores. It all comes together well, not all that cloying. Deliciously bourbony and malty!

Mouthfeel: Thinner bodied but full of flavour. Actually quite well carbonated for a giant stout like this. Aftertaste is mostly all the malty sweetness that I experienced while swishing this beer along my palate. Its pretty much dessert. Really, the biggest problem with this beer is that it's so damn boozy. I know its a 19.2% beer, but it was just a beer that took a long time to finish. Still, so black and thick... gotta say this is a hell of a mouthfeel.

Overall: Delicious. It's like drinking bourbon and port together. Thick thick beer that is very sweet but not cloyingly so. As mentioned above, the problem is that its got too much alcohol in it- I can smell it in the nose immediately as its being poured, and it definitely gets hotter as it gets warmer. I think its a deliciously sweet barrel-aged big stout but for the $36 it costs per bottle, I'll take 6 bottles of BCBS. It's not a very good value IMO (which does not detract from the overall scoring in this review), but I'm glad to have at least tried it.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

750 ml bottle, huge thanks to ritzkiss for cracking one. At the epic Bruery tasting.

Pours a surprising clear dark blackish red, some ruby highlights in the edges, medium sized brown head forms, slowly settles to a thin ring, some lace spots stick, very oily looking.

Smell is great, very intense stuff, toffee and chocolate, big bourbon notes, vanilla, oak, brown sugar, raisin, light roast, a touch of smoke, sweet and sugary through the middle, some booze, oats, coconut, pretty crazy.

Taste is awesome too, very rich, sweet at first, toffee and bourbon, vanilla, nice and woody, lightly roast and some chocolate, biscuit, raisin, brown sugar, oats, decent amount of fruity sweetness, port, sweet and lightly spicy in the finish, real nice coconut cream aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is oily and thick, big body, low carbonation, some heat going down but drinks no where near 20%. Some hype? Of course, but in this case it deserves it, this is great stuff. Thanks Eric!!

4.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle opened and split on 6.29.13

2012 Vintage

A - Pours a deep brown/black with a few dark tan bubbles that form, move to the edges and then fade away quickly.

S - Bourbon, alcohol heat, chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts.

T - Bourbon and lots of heat, chocolate, vanilla, roasted malts. Very good.

D - Heavy body with lower carbonation.

O - This is a great beer that I have just never gotten around to opening. It was a nice bbq with friends over, so we opened some good beers. This was one of the hilights for me. Lots of boozy bourbon, heat, and layers of chocolate and vanilla. Wonderful beer.

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%

Well hey, BT pours out, black, but is very dark brown, you've seen blacker, so what. Very little head here, not much carbonation, plenty enough for style, immensity of this case.

The greatest meld of chocolate and bourbon for a series of beer, this one has plenty, and until I tried the chocolate rain version, I hadn't had a better example/mix of the beauty the two can do together. The vanilla and slightly charred oak feel is around, its warming, but for 18% it really is so nice. A rounded leather and tobacco blend can make you feel like you're in a Western. Every time I drink BT it burns itself into my memory. BT release night, Christmas fire etc. . .

Such a great 'base' beer for all the melanges/rain variations. Greatest cigar beer of all time. Sweetness. Every aspect is huge. It is very warming. Boozy, but never harsh.

Ended up rationalizing to write this review, I need to print a new 'my' top 1/2/300 list for my house anyways, such a completionist.

EDIT: Man, just had my first bottle of the 2011 last weekend during the Lesnar/Overeem fight. Might be the best one yet, and the appearance is just delightful.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery