Black Tuesday | The Bruery

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

#67

Ratings: 4,009 |  Reviews: 718

4.48/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Pours out a foreboding black body with a wispy, wild, beige head.

Smell: Heavy concentrated, sweet-smelling aroma of dark malts with an equally strong, entrancing scent of quality bourbon. Mm-mmm!

Taste: Starts sharply, arrestingly sweet, then in rolls some dark fruits lusciously coated in creamy bittersweet chocolate ganache, brown sugar, and blackstrap molasses and spiced with some star anise. Even doses of vanilla and zesty, charred oak character. Additional dribble of prune juice and a chilled cup of Americano. Warming (though thankfully not boozy or harsh), sweet-tasting (but not cloying) finish.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied. Medium carbonation. Particularly velvety mouthfeel.

Drinkability: A phenomenal, fierce brew! It's about as easily drinkable as something of this magnitude or degree of sweetness can be. Take it slow, bring some friends, and enjoy yourself.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Review from notes. 2011 Vintage.

A: Pours black with a small khaki colored head on top with decent retention. No lacing.

S: Lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla, and dark fruits, mostly rasins and a little bit of plum. There is a slight boozy note to it, which didn't really surprise me at 18%.

T: Up front there is a lot of brown sugar, molasses and chocolate. The oak comes through a little, and then there is nice rush of bourbon and vanilla.

M: Full bodied, very smooth with the abv surprisingly well hidden.

O: A fantastic beer, not something I could drink everyday from the abv, but a great beer to share.

3.87/5  rDev -14.8%

2011 750 mL bottle poured into my new CBS snifter. Split with baconbourbon.

Appearance - Doesn't really pour as black as I thought it would be, considering it's called Black Tuesday. It's a little translucent at the edges. Temporarily has a head, but it doesn't last. How could it, really? It incredibly sticky. If left for a while, I would expect this to reduce to a molasses-like sludge.

Smell - Bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. Whoah. I kinda get some of the stout behind it, but really it's overpowered by the bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. When I first smelled it, I got a lot of the barrel. As I drink it, I get less barrel and more alcohol.

Taste - Bourbon at first. Vanilla and caramel. No oak, but the barrel seems evident just from the bourbon and vanilla. Lighter malts shine through much more than any roasted malts. Immensely sweet. In the back I finally get some flavors from the stout itself. Chocolate and some coffee, but it's an afterthought to the sugar and alcohol. The finish isn't as boozy as I expected.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy. Boozy, but not in the taste. It's warming to the point of a slight burn. Split two ways, this is a big ask. I want to go to sleep, but I still have half a glass left and I know I won't feel so hot in the morning.

Overall - Disappointing, I suppose. I don't know what I expected out of such a gigantic stout. It's like the scene at the beginning of Super Troopers where they chug the maple syrup, except there's lethal levels of alcohol in this. Good night.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%

From 12/12/10 notes. Got to try this at a local tasting thanks to drabmuh. Big thanks Matt, this was my biggest want!

a - Pours a jet black color with two to three inches of fluffy tan head that stays throughout drinking and light carbonation evident. Leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass, looks perfect.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and vanilla. Also a little sweet brown sugar or molasses. Very enjoyable; it's complex and balanced.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, and molasses. Also a little bit of raisin or dark fruit. Taste is a bit hot but still great to me, as I love bourbon.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. The body is really smooth and creamy and the ABV is very well hidden. It I didn't know this was 18-19% ABV, I would have guessed it was 9%. Love the mouthfeel.

d - Overall I thought this was an amazing beer; one of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever had. While this beer is super hyped and I have been disappointed with some of their hyped beers in the past, this one lived up to the hype. I think it looks and smells great, and has a wonderful mouthfeel, but is a tiny bit hot. I think in 6-12 months this could be even better, if the heat dies down a tiny bit. Either way, if you like bourbon barrel aged stouts you'll still love this one now. Would love to get another bottle of this.

4.75/5  rDev +4.6%

4.17/5  rDev -8.1%

Big thanks to the generosity of Deuane for sharing this beast. Poured chilled into a 1/2 pint and allowed to gradually warm

A - Big and black appearance -the look is not quite viscous like black chocolate liquid, a ring of light tan is present and a bit of cream revives to a thin skin of a head when swirled. The lace hold on the glass when sips are taken

S - molasses, vanilla and toffee notes are high in the aroma w/ baked brownie and a light cocoa bean and dark roast coffee

M -Moderately full feel, not quite syrupy. The feel is warming,yet not quite boozy w/ sugary feel and mild roasted texture w/ nutty and slightly smooth oily fee The beer seems spicy and dry as it finishes

T - The flavor is intense from the get-go, black currants and cocoa w/ dark brown sugar and slightly charred malt taste w/ woody accents and toasted grain w/ bitter herbal flavor and dark roast coffee-like acidity w/ lots of intense concentrated wort flavor like a dark malty molasses accented roasted elixir, both dry and sweet w/ spicy and alcohol flavors all very forward in the flavor, big beer that lets you know its a bruiser but doesn't knock you out with the first taste. The layers of malts and wood and alcohol all are in sync and leave ripples of full flavor on the tongue even after the taste

D - The drinkability is hard to compare to others of the style, very high quality and enjoyable to savor, yet not something you would want to pick up and drink all that often. For what it is it is highly drinkable. The flavors evolve very well and the abv while evident is still not close to what you might expect 19%+ to be when consuming this

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Well it certainly took me long enough to find the time to crack this one open! I figured christmas night would be just the right time to split this one among the family, though I have to admit I ended up drinking half the bottle myself. Served at around fifty degrees and poured into several tasting glasses, this one was consumed on 12/25/2009.

The pour was brilliant and menacing. Rich and dark as night, no light could penetrate this one at all. Sinister looking with a huge tan head that rose up out of the depths and settled over the top with huge amounts of lacing. At this point I am scared, but I push on.

Aroma is brilliant and huge. Rich bourbon notes are immediatly felt. Just larger then life from the get go. Huge notes of booziness, rich vanilla soaked touches, tons of chocolate and rich molasses like notes, the aroma is soo thick you could drown in it. As I take the first sip I am blown away by how big this is. Decadence is defined in this beer. It is so viscous and huge, it almost defies words. Huge flavor of rich chocolate and huge vanilla and bourbon flavors. For 19.5 percent there was no way at all to tell. Maybe 10 percent or so, but wow. Soo smooth and complex I am completely in awe of this creation.

Overall I am really left rather speechless by this. I had my hopes dampened coming into this one as people have said it was not worthy of the hype, but I beg to differ, it was worth every bit of it. This is quite simply the biggest, baddest, strongest RIS I have ever come across and it deserves its title. Still in awe of this one.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%

I have had this beer multiple times over the last few years, this rating will be a combination of them all. The numerical ratings are from a 09 bottle. I recently brought a 2011 bottle to Imminent Liquidation II so I decided to finally write a review.

A - Pours pitch black with a nice one and a half finger tall tan head leaving a good amount of lace down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of milk chocolate, vanilla, dark roasted malt, bourbon, dark fruits, oak, brown sugar and some oak. The booze is apparent throughout. I can not think of anything more I would want in an imperial stout.

T - Starts off with a ton of chocolaty sweetness and lots of warm bourbon quickly giving way to a mix of dark roasted malt, vanilla, dark fruit and brown sugar. Finish has some sweet heat with some lingering dry oak tannins.

M - Big, smooth, boozy feel that is just great. I prefer these with a year or so on them to help kill some of the booze. There is no doubt that this is one big beer.

O - This is undoubtedly one of the best imperial stouts out there. When it is fresh it can be a little too harsh for my liking but once the booze mellows it really comes into its own. I will never turn down one of these.

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%

A huge thank you to Darrell for sharing this rare delicacy last night.

A: Deep, opaque black. There is a moderately small beige that hangs out for a few minutes before sinking into the abyss and disappearing forever.

S: Bourbon! Whoa! There is nothing subtle about the aroma. It's enticing and alluring, but I must say that is predominantly bourbon.

T: Black Tuesday tastes fantastic. Plain and simple. It's incredibly rich and buttery smooth. It's like a heavy freight train loaded with rich, roasted malt loaded and bourbon barrels on a collision course with your palate. I didn't find it to be complex, per se, as the enormous bourbon flavors overtake some of the more subtle aspects.

M: Extremely viscous, rich and thick. Alcohol content disguised masterfully. This isn't to say alcohol is not detectable, but I would never have guessed that it's nearly 20% abv. Very impressive.

D: While it definitely seems like a strong beer, I am amazed that it weighs in at 19.5% abv. That's insane. I had 6-8 ounces and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. Highly recommended.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by Umberto at Curran's tasting.

Pours a deep, dark black, with a small, quarter inch head, and not much lacing.

Smells like bourbon, chocolate, booze, caramel, and more booze.

This one is a whopper, so much here. Surprisingly, the booziness is not overpowering- it is hot as hell, but that factors in well with every other flavor, and elevates it a bit. Tons of chocolate, vanilla, caramel, burnt sugar, oak, coconut, cream, molasses. All of those flavors combine together so well into this flavor punch to the face.

Thick bodied, so gloopy and viscous. The mouthfeel is so chewy but creamy. Low carbonation. Due to the alcohol, this one is a real slow sipper.

Glad I finally got to try this one, it's a monster, but a delicious monster too. Treading the line between beer and cognac or something.

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%

I feel like such a homer and a feeder of the hype-machine by giving this beer such an amazing review, but I cannot help it. It deserves it.

A: Black Tuesday is jet black and has one of the best heads I've seen. A finger or so of mocha colored foam that has incredible staying power. If it didn't taste so good, it would be great to just look at it in the glass.

S: As one might expect from a beer as big and bold as this, there are great aromas of bourbon, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, sugar, and surprisingly mild alcohol.

T: The flavor is strikingly similar to the aroma (no shock there). The huge chocolate and bourbon barrel flavors are the first to knock your socks off. As you continue to enjoy the beer, you pick up on some dark fruits and licorice, along with some sweeter flavors of vanilla and brown sugar. Eventually the alcohol burn starts to creep in as the beer warms.

M: The carbonation on this beer is low, but the bubbles help to keep it from being too heavy and overwhelming. I find it to be a great match for the flavors and the enormous body of Black Tuesday.

D: Well, this could do well to sit in a cellar for about 5 years. But, it's still so wonderful now that I would not turn a serving down. This is one beer that truly has lived up to its hype (for me, anyway) and I look forward to sharing my bottles and my friends bottles whenever we feel so moved. An absolutely world class beverage!

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev -9.3%

I've tasted this several times, many different batches, but this review is from notes at EBF.
A thick black viscous liquid coats the inside of my glass with great legs. Aromas of chocolate, brown sugar, caramel, molasses, raisins and other dark dried fruits, along with a fair amount of ethanol. The flavor is sweet with dark and burnt sugars but that is countered nicely with a present but not overpowering alcohol heat. Roast and chocolate molasses round out the flavor nicely. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet syrupy mouthfeel. This is a monster of a beer, but its frikin tasty and devilishly deceptive.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery