Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 668 | Ratings: 3,759
4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2014 version, so already a bit of age.

L- Black, thin off-white head that barely lingers.

S- Holy crap, that's boozy. Keep away from open flames. Behind that's there's a nice bourbon and milk chocolate aroma, The booze faded a bit once it warmed up.

T- Much like the smell, it's very strong. Once you get past that, it's a nice caramel/chocolate/bourbon. Smoother and more drinkable once it warmed up.

F- Thick, sticky syrup. Very rich.

O- There's some good stuff here, but the booze is a bit overpowering. I would like this more if it were in the 12-15% range. It was a lot better once it warmed up, a chocolatey and sweet after-dinner beer.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

I had this at a bottle share a few weeks ago. Its is a big-boys beer. It reeks of booze but is drinkable and tastes lighter than something like a bourbon county.I wouldn't exactly say this is an enjoyable beer that I'd drink time and time again, but its one good way to have a nice night-

Sampled at Boise’s 2014 Imperial Stout get together, over 120 bottles to choose from. Going with the flow on this rating. Smooth, slick, plenty of warmth. Mildly boozy.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Type: 750-ml bottle (25.4 oz.)
Glass: AleSmith Barrel-Aged Reserve snifter glass
From: The Bruery in Placentia, Calif.
Price: $25.99
Purchased: N/A; Received on Nov. 8, 2015
Consumed: June 10, 2016
Misc.: Bottled on Aug. 25, 2015; 2015 version (19.9 pct. ABV)

To say that I was excited to have this was the understatement of the century. I can’t think of a beer I’ve wanted to try more than Black Tuesday. A big thanks to Chris for letting my buy one of his bottles. This is going to be good.

Poured a black color with two fingers of fizzy tan head. Serene setting underneath. Decent spotty lacing. Decent retention. (Sight - 3.50)

Smelled sugary milk chocolate, smooth bourbon, toffee, caramel, dry cocoa, chocolate syrup, crayon, licorice, hints of molasses, figs, dark raisins and dark plum. Got boozier each whiff. (Smell - 4.50)

First taste was just awesome, definitely warming all the way down to my gut. Got sugary chocolate syrup, milk chocolate, rich caramel, creamy toffee, smooth bourbon, molasses, black licorice, creamy espresso vanilla and light woody oak. Huge warmth in my throat. Drinks like a port dessert wine or some other complex red wine. This is warm, but not super hot. Definitely drinkable. Amazing. (Taste - 4.75)

Full body. Sticky texture. Average carbonation. Long, surprisingly smooth finish. Perfect. (Feel - 5.00)

This was just incredible. Might be my favorite beer ever, knowing that Pliny the Elder and Younger might come down a tad once I rate them again. (Overall - 4.75)

4.64 | 100 | A+

4.74/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Much thinner and a lot more carbonation than expected. Bourbon soaked raisans, although it does not taste like 19.9% I could, and did drink the whole bottle alone. Awesome

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

With much anticipation I had my first Black Tuesday last night. 2015 vintage poured into snifter

Appearance- pitch black with zero head. Exactly what I would expect from a beer this strong
Smell- booze. I expected this but it is intense
Taste- I get vanilla, caramel up front, barrel late and the booze hits like an iron fist. It is very evident
Feel- almost no carbonation. Slightly syrupy .
Overall- a special occasion beer I am so glad I was able to try. But there are better ba imp stouts out there that easier to finish.

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: pours a dark brown with no head. I thought it was going to be black.
S: bourbon sweetness
T: huge bourbon sweetness
F: Coates well, has a syrup feel
O: the alcohol is hidden very well, and this is 19.9%! Great beer for sure.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2014 bottle opened in 2016.

This is my first time having Black Tuesday, so I cannot compare it fresh. However, I've had lots of So Happens It's Tuesday, and honestly it is very similar; almost indistinguishable.

The nose is filled with wonderful aromas. The standouts are caramel, vanilla, bourbon and raisin. It is still quite hot and it hit me immediately even after a sizable dinner. Halfway through my first pour, the burn is present pretty much everywhere.

It is very sweet, and the booze still dominates a lot of the other flavors. I wish the taste contained more of what I get from the nose, but I think it needs several more years before the booze cools off and the other flavors shine through.

Overall, between So Happens Its Tuesday and 2 year old Black Tuesday, I'm going with So Happens. However, I think with 5+ years, this thing will be amazing.

4.19/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Black, dark brown in the light.

Dark chocolate, molasses, black licorice, oak, light coffee.

A dessert beer, roasted coffee, caramel, chocolate, vanilla. On and on.

Thin mouthfeel, low carbonation.

Greatness.

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a 2013 bottle. (thanks to Ultrarunner100 for the share)
This was a sublime experience. Black Tuesday pours as dark as the night, and at that you are captivated. The nose was full of amazing bourbon, chocolate and vanilla. The flavor includes all the nose and some anise and a nice warming booze for good measure. Feel is rich and full. I found this beer to be similar to some good ports I have had, and that is the way I recommend one approach it.

4.77/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Super black, brown head, 1/5". Keep the carbonation low, appropriate for this kind of beer.

Aroma was massive amounts of chocolate and bourbon, just huge.

Taste was more of the same, lots of vanilla. Even some tobacco and leather edge. The godfather of huge bourbon barrel beers. So many imitators since.

Great with a cigar. Awesome stuff.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

750 ml bottle was poured into a snifter.

Appearance: A one finger mocha head was poured that reduced to a thin layer. It is a pitch black color with no vision of anything.

Smell: Vanilla, bourbon, milk chocolate, roasted coffee, and warm boozy alcohol.

Taste: Not sure what to think about this beer. It's awesome and I'm speechless. Some bitterness, lingering booze, and warm alcohol in there too.

Mouthfeel: Super smooth, creamy, silky, delicious, warm warm booze, and delicious.

Overall: Probably one of the best barrel aged Imperial Stouts that I've ever had. Not sure if I'll get my hands on another bottle or sip, but I hope I do.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Serving: 1 Pt. 9.4 Fl. oz. bottle poured into a Founder's CBS snifter. Bottled on 8/25/15, making this just under 6 months old.

A: Pours a surprisingly light brown color. Would've figured this to be classic motor oil-like, but no. Slim off-brown color head. Kind of murky.

S: Boom. Probably the most bourbon or spirit-forward beer I've got a nose on. Huge bourbon up front, great vanilla and chocolate notes, caramel, almond and dark fruits tucked in there as well.

T: Holy crap. Flavor overload here. Huge bourbon up front again, followed by that chocolate, vanilla, coconut, almond, caramel. Small notes of dark fruits on the finish as well, with some raspberry and dark cherry.

M: Just an assault on the palate. Much like a really good DIPA will hit you with hops for days, this thing is boozy as a mother. 19.9% is no joke here, you get all of it.

O: Wow, way to make a first impression. I love when a beer really has something to say. This may not be my #1 all-time favorite, but I really have respect for a BA Imperial Stout that steps up and is different. This guy wants to be 19.9% and is definitely 19.9%. The booze may be overwhelming for some, but it really lets the flavors shine and magnifies everything x10. I never had OG Rare, but this is what I envision it to be like because this truly is BCBS on steroids.

Recommendation: This was a long time chase for me and I gave up a lot for it. You should too.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

My first BT.
2011 vintage, about time I tried this. Solo.

Look: Semi vigorous pour yields a 3/4 inch head that is gone, but for a ring, in a matter of minutes. After ten minutes, the ring is gone but comes back with a few swirls of the snifter. After 20 minutes the ring can not be brought back. RIP.

Smell: I could smell the booze in this as soon as I lifted the cap. Smells of port soaked raisins, dark chocolate, bitter chocolate. As it warms those raisins are still there but with something new, leather and a distant coffee/espresso essence off in the distance. Raisins dominate.

Taste: Boozy fruit cake, chocolate covered, of course!

Feel: At first I gave it a 4, now at 20 minutes in, 3.75.

Overall: Glad I finally cracked this. I really like beers like this that push the envelope. I will be opening my 2013 sooner rather than later AND with someone else!

4.56/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Huge flavors across the board. More bourbon then beer with the aroma and taste. Toffee and caramel dominate the tastes for me in this beer, big alcohol flavors take center stage. I get some maple pancake flavors.

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drove down to San Diego for a brewery tour. Came down to time it to have Black Tuesday and didn't realize you had to be a special member to get a taste... Pled my case and luckily one of the bartenders had sympathy and snuck me a glasss! Gave him a hefty tip and enjoyed an amazing beer!

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

The infamous Black Tuesday. A bruiser to be sure

A. Dark black with a finger of khaki head and decent lacing. Good head retention.

S. Vanilla, coconut, bourbon soaked raisins, a little tobacco and decent leather. Very rich and inviting baking chocolate and singed brownie batter. One of the best bouquets I've found.

T. Fudge, coconut, caramel, molasses, stone fruit, vanilla, and big, fusile alcohol.

M. Very boozy and very sweet which is the only complaint here. Rich and decadent.

O. Worthy of the hype. Dessert in a glass. Complex and warming. Impressive craftsmanship

4.47/5  rDev 0%

L: dark as space. No head retention. Little carbonation.

S: bourbon and booze.

T: tastes of bourbon all the way through. Almost like a port wine but bourbon flavor.

F: very smooth for 20%. The heat is there but is a easy drink. Nice warming feeling. Would be great on a snow day.

O: lucky to get 3 bottles in 2015. My first time tasting it and it was a good showing. Not quite sure if the real thing met the hype but a phenomenal beer. I did expect just a little more. Maybe a creamier mouth feel.

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This was a great pour. Poured a dark black color. Lots of Bourbon in the nose and it follows in the taste. Lots of great bourbon taste. The mouth feel is to me a little thin. For a beer this big I would like a little thicker mouthfeel. But it is still a great beer.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

750mL into a wine glass. 2014 bottle.

Lovely cocoa head fills over a black-and brown-viscous body. Pools and swirls of lace plus a rim of lace. Lace abounds. Big and burly-looking. 5

Oaken, vanilla, soy sauce, raisiny port. Old ale or barleywine flavors big time. 4.25

Soy sauce is heavy. Oak, raisin and fig. Caramel and vanilla. Leather and tobacco. And alcohol. Taste resembles a raisin wine from the Dominican Republic. Brown sugar really develops nicely. T- 4.25 M- 4

This beer is tasty and interesting, but I think Baladin captures the concept and flavor better.

2014 vintage into a Bruery tulip.
Pours black as night with a very thiiiiiin mocha head
Smell is intense bourbon and chocolate with coffee behind it all. Turns more to chocolate as it warms.
There is a flavor explosion in my mother f-in mouth. Like someone melted a chocolate bar into a good bourbon and mixed in a bit of coffee. A bit hot but not at all like drinking a 40 proof spirit
Mouthfeel: see above
Overall a once in a life time beverage experience that you should seek out and make happen. Please invite me over when you do because I need more of this sh*t!

3.89/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Super dark beer with no head. Dark chocolate and raisin smell.
Boozy with salted caramel, fudge, dark chocolate taste. Lots of alcohol, usually I like that but I feel like it's a little overwhelming.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2015 version poured into a snifter glass; color is rich and dark brown with no head. very nice lacing. smell is bourbon, vanilla, brown sugar, alcohol, toffee, dark malt. overtime the alcohol smell fades, but its strong at first, which isn't surprising given the abv and the age. taste follows the nose here: bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, malt, alcohol burn that fades to sweet. massively drinkable considering the abv, yet this is a slow and steady sipper that was shared over several hours. mouth was the biggest surprise; thinner than anticipated with very low carbonation.

a stellar take on the style, but also a beast of a beer. glad i got to try it and glad i have another in the cellar to age.

3.05/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2014 bottle. Pours dark brown with little to no head. This isn't black. Smells like bourbon and vanilla. The flavor is intense and cloying. Bourbon dominates the profile, and the flavor is super rich...there is some vanilla coming through, but that is about it. I am not picking up any oaky notes. I don't taste any malt or hops. All sticky sweet bourbon goodness. The body is medium, and much lighter than i anticipated. The mouthfeel is bit fizzy, and lacks the creamy texture that i want in a big stout. Carbonation is very low. Overall, i am glad i tried this but i think this beer is more for those who prefer the thrill of the chase, and the novelty of this beer.

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Look: Dark coffee color, no milk. Light brown head.
Smell: Caramel, toffee, dark chocolate, sweet bread, dark grains. Tres leches. A touch of alcohol and bourbon.
Taste: Rich, robust, and gigantic. See above. Vanilla, maybe some coconut. Alcohol is in the taste. I taste awesomeness.
Feel: Heavy. Low carb.

Overall - Good to go!

Black Tuesday from The Bruery