Black Tuesday | The Bruery

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%

4.51/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

2014 release, 19.7% of DANG.

Smells like a rich, dark chocolate candy bar, dropped into a pan of hot chocolate pudding, quietly burning on the range. Complexity of this beer is off the charts. I have had several of The Bruery's blended beers that incorporate Black Tuesday, and I've had Grey Monday, but I will freely admit I was not expecting the zany flavors this monstrous brew delivered to me on the first sip. Abundant fig, oak, hazelnut, almond, vanilla, sweet cream, molasses, molten caramel, pudding, semisweet chocolate... I don't know, man. Blown away. Was all ready to be objective about it and then the first drop hit my tongue. BT is entirely worthy of the reputation it has garnered.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Considering the Hype on this beer, I had to get a hold of ONE. Scored on the raffle this year, and comp 3 bottles.
Bottle poured in a snifter glass

A. Poured deep rich black with a hue of amber/brown, little to no head cream in color

S. Toasted charred wood with a hint of bourbon note, light vanilla and caramel in addition bold malt, chocolate, and molasses, which i think hides the most 18% alcohol well yet tingle the nostril.

T. Had a nice well balance base of chocolate, molasses, and slight licorice. In front was an underwhelming taste of bourbon, but a prominent deep yet not overpowering hint of oak and vanilla that I thought was lovely. On the back, there was a nice touch of charred wood similar to Smoking Wood which didn't pack a strong punch, but linger with a hint of alcohol sweetness and dissipated slowly.

Mouth feel was fairly balance, but to my taste was a little on the heavy side which can be overwhelming if you're drinking 12-16oz. lovely velvet texture that coats the mouth and smooth

O. Great overall beer, well balance smooth deep roasted chocolate and rich malt. I can see the hype of the beer because for 18% ABV I mention little alcohol presence, but I felt it lacks something, and personally I don't know what that is. To me everything seem like it was blended amazingly well that it was almost near perfection, yet fell a little short and incomplete. It needed that curve ball that tells you DAMN this is one hell of a beer. NO SHOCK VALUE

Will see if my opinion changes after a year in my cellar

Personal side note
Will I buy it again? Of COURSE; Will I buy 3 bottles? NO (wish they served a 2-4oz taster on tap, smh); Will I join the reserve society to get a hold of this bottle? No

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%