Black Tuesday | The Bruery

3.75/5  rDev -17.4%

4.8/5  rDev +5.7%

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

2014 release, 19.7% of DANG.

Smells like a rich, dark chocolate candy bar, dropped into a pan of hot chocolate pudding, quietly burning on the range. Complexity of this beer is off the charts. I have had several of The Bruery's blended beers that incorporate Black Tuesday, and I've had Grey Monday, but I will freely admit I was not expecting the zany flavors this monstrous brew delivered to me on the first sip. Abundant fig, oak, hazelnut, almond, vanilla, sweet cream, molasses, molten caramel, pudding, semisweet chocolate... I don't know, man. Blown away. Was all ready to be objective about it and then the first drop hit my tongue. BT is entirely worthy of the reputation it has garnered.

4.64/5  rDev +2.2%

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Considering the Hype on this beer, I had to get a hold of ONE. Scored on the raffle this year, and comp 3 bottles.
Bottle poured in a snifter glass

A. Poured deep rich black with a hue of amber/brown, little to no head cream in color

S. Toasted charred wood with a hint of bourbon note, light vanilla and caramel in addition bold malt, chocolate, and molasses, which i think hides the most 18% alcohol well yet tingle the nostril.

T. Had a nice well balance base of chocolate, molasses, and slight licorice. In front was an underwhelming taste of bourbon, but a prominent deep yet not overpowering hint of oak and vanilla that I thought was lovely. On the back, there was a nice touch of charred wood similar to Smoking Wood which didn't pack a strong punch, but linger with a hint of alcohol sweetness and dissipated slowly.

Mouth feel was fairly balance, but to my taste was a little on the heavy side which can be overwhelming if you're drinking 12-16oz. lovely velvet texture that coats the mouth and smooth

O. Great overall beer, well balance smooth deep roasted chocolate and rich malt. I can see the hype of the beer because for 18% ABV I mention little alcohol presence, but I felt it lacks something, and personally I don't know what that is. To me everything seem like it was blended amazingly well that it was almost near perfection, yet fell a little short and incomplete. It needed that curve ball that tells you DAMN this is one hell of a beer. NO SHOCK VALUE

Will see if my opinion changes after a year in my cellar

Personal side note
Will I buy it again? Of COURSE; Will I buy 3 bottles? NO (wish they served a 2-4oz taster on tap, smh); Will I join the reserve society to get a hold of this bottle? No

4.68/5  rDev +3.1%

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%

4.66/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black Tuesday pours, well, black, with a thin and wispy beige head that recedes to a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Thick, vinous legs on this one, too. The aromas are intense: heavy, heavy alcohol presence that's a lot like straight bourbon (though the alcohol aroma settled substantially as the beer warmed up); dark red fruit like raisins and cherries; chocolate; and a very nice oaky vanilla. Flavors are a dream: sweet, booze-drenched chocolate; spicy alcohol heat; caramelized brown sugar; vanilla marshmallows; more vanilla and molasses; more of those dark red fruits; and a faint char or roastiness on the finish. There's almost a sherry- or port-like flavor to Black Tuesday, which transforms this beer into one fit not only for mortals, but also for the gods. Mouthfeel is not thin, but not as viscous as I was expecting. It's just smooth, substantial, and exactly right for what's going on with the flavors. There's definitely a bit of alcohol burn, but this seemed to dissipate as the beer warmed up.

Overall, Black Tuesday is one of the best straight BA stouts I've ever had, maybe slightly ahead of BCBS and slightly behind the king of the roost, Parabola. The flavors are rich, complex, and hard to capture adequately with words. If you're a BA stout fan, you'll love this one.

3.5/5  rDev -22.9%