Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 681 | Ratings: 3,821
4.77/5  rDev +6.7%

750ml bottle purchased at the Bruery release on 10/27/09. Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Deep and dark almost pitch black, the slightest of brown highlights when held to the light. A thin cappucinno head that disappears immediately and leaves swirling lines of bubbles on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.

S - Smells of licorice, dark caramel, malt extract, port wine, medium/dark (50% cacao) chocolate, bourbony, a hint of vanilla.

T - A liquid truffle. Sweet, chocolately, smooth bourbon touched, caramel, touch of vanilla, molasses, sugar, brown sugar,. Really complex flavors - great!

M - Thick, syrupy...low carbonation. Sugary sweetness coats the entire mouth. Really good.
Warmth from the bourbon, malty, sugary sweetness - this all just works.

D - Unbelievably drinkable...19.5%, really? Drinks like a much lower alcohol beer. This is unbelievably good stuff. Thinking about cracking a second bottle, but don't think the trading partners who already have this reserved would appreciate that.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

2010 bottle into a Duvel tulip. Much thanks to mashmaster for this longtime want.

It is indeed black, impossibly black. Like motor oil from a jug, this pours very slowly out of the bottle. A quarter-finger medium-dark brown head forms and sticks around for a while. Some lacing around the glass, but it quickly subsides. Legs all over the place.

The aroma is exquisite - this is easily the most complex beer I've ever smelled. I hate to recapitulate a BA cliché, but it applies in this case: I can’t get my nose out of the glass. Huge hits of raisins, prunes, and other dark fruits, like a freshly baked pudding. Dark baker's chocolate and fudge. Plenty of alcohol in the mix as well, with the unmistakable aroma of bourbon. So much sweet vanilla from the barrel, with remarkably little of that nostril hair-burning element that many big stouts have.

The taste is enormous. Tremendous sweetness, but that huge barrel presence tempers it perfectly. There's so much going on with this beer, but nothing seems muddled - each flavor is incredibly pure. Sweet dark fudge with vanilla extract added. Blackstrap molasses and caramel. There's an anise cookie-like flavor at work that really reminds me of biscotti. The back end is all smooth, smooth bourbon, but the booze is not close to being overpowering. Just a hint of bitterness in the finish.

Thick, viscous, sludgy mouthfeel, but there's a hint of carbonation. The mouthfeel is absolutely perfect, and befits the enormity of this beer.

The hype behind this beer is definitely merited. With so many competing flavors at work, this beer could have easily been a muddled mess. Instead, it borders on perfection like no stout I've tried before. I shudder to think what the 2009 version tastes like today, though this one is drinking pretty perfectly right now. Worth every penny.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

must say this is somewhat worth its hype.

appearance - thick as everything on the pour, head was minor if anything, lacing mostly around the rim. didnt realize the abv on this guy.

smell - loads of sweet chocolate here, brown sugar, brownies, toffee

taste - chocolate brownies galore, mhm, quite a bit of caramel and brown sugar and toffee stick around

mouthfeel - beautiful body, sugar isnt cloying, alcohol has a nice burn in there, its very well made

anybody got a spare bottle?

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%

750 mL bottle of the 2010 vintage. It was allowed to warm a little bit, and was split between my Duvel tulip (first half) and Southampton snifter (second half).

Black Tuesday pours just like the name suggests. It might have been my imagination, but I'd swear the lights actually flickered when I cracked the bottle. The dark caramel head drew itself up to about three fingers in height, before fading away somewhat quickly, and not leaving anything in the way of lacing. I starting picking up the nose a little bit when I popped the cap and poured, but when I first leaned into the glass my nose got absolutely blasted. This thing smells rich beyond belief. It's the aroma of a decadent chocolate cake that had some bourbon added into the batter. It's pungent, and it smells great, but if there was a little bit more complexity it would be perfect. Ask and ye shall receive, because Black Tuesday absolutely crushes it flavor wise. That bombastic bourbon chocolate cake is still by far the centerpiece, but it's supplemented by sensations of dark fruit and molasses. There's a slight warming from the alcohol, but it's pleasant, and nowhere near how intense it should be for a beer its size (even after a year). The body is impossibly rich and creamy, and the carbonation is perfectly dialed in to prevent the beer from becominy syrupy, while maintaining its malt forward nature. I wouldn't change a thing. Holy hell does Black Tuesday live up to the hype. I grabbed two bottles last year, and cracked this one to see if it was worth trying to get more bottles going forward. The answer is a resounding yes!

3.87/5  rDev -13.4%

A few canceled plans and some hospitalizations further, we were finally ready to sit down and break open these bad boys. A good time was had by all at the Cracked Kettle last Friday. We had been looking forward to this lineup for months. A huge thanks to GoGriz and Cedromar for the trades, and a massive cheers to Scott for providing us the bad boy for this special occasion. Too bad it didn't work out when you were here.

From a 750ml bottle into a 6oz sinfter
Vintage 2010 (18.2%)
Vintage 2009 (19.5%)
Note: Review for the 2010 with the 2009 as comparison.

APPEARANCE: Gushed upon opening, but poured out and settled just fine. A dark brown pour yields a medium, foamy looking tan head with decent retention. Head fades down to a ring with touches of wisp on top. Black body, opaque, with medium carbonation evident. Only a ring remains but leaves no real lacing down the glass. Nothing special about the ’10. However, the ’09 was much more impressive, with a darker, thicker pour and a more persistent mocha colored head that left some nice lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Lots of bourbon on the nose for sure. Oak and vanilla, with some sweet milk chocolate and quite a bit of booze. Faint notes of roasted malts and pure chocolate try to make their way through, but this one is very bourbon barrel heavy, which is probably the point. Definitely good for what it is, though I’d appreciate a touch more base beer on the nose for top marks. The ’09 delivered the goods in that department, however, with less booze and more stout, showing a better union between the base beer and the barrel. Really nice.

TASTE: Roasted flavors start it off before an avalanche of barrel and alcohol. Lots of bourbon, oak, vanilla and milk chocolate up front. Very boozy through the middle; the 18.2% is there in all its glory. Finish is quite nice, with some dark chocolate, cream notes, and dark cherries even, which compliment the bold barrel flavors. Aftertaste is big and menacing, with an overdose of bourbon, oak, some dark chocolate, and lots of heat. Lots of wonderful flavors for sure, but the heat needs to mellow out. Enter the 2009 vintage. This was insane. Way smoother than the 2010, with less booze and heat, but more roasted and chocolaty base beer in the mix. The base stout meshed superbly with the bourbon barrel, leaving us with an excellently balanced and absolutely decadent brew. Much less boozy, and way smoother and much more complex. The ’09 was simply as good as it gets.

PALATE: Fuller body and quite heavy and thick on the palate, with medium carbonation. Very viscious, and much thicker than we’d expected after it foamed out upon opening. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down fine with a lot of heat on the swallow and finishes quite sticky. Despite the heat, the thick, heavy body is what I love in this style. The ’09 was much the same, but not quite as heavy on the palate.

OVERALL: This was one of the most enjoyable and interesting beer experiences so far. Besides the fun company, this was an unbelievable pair of beers. I must admit that I was sceptical before opening this stuff, as this one gets far too much press, but the praise and love for this beer is more than deserved. The 2010 has piles of wonderful flavor and a obliterating feel that ranks up there with the thickest and meanest of them. The bourbon barrel is delicious and the base beer is still strong enough to hold its own. The heat needs to mellow out, that’s for sure, but given some time, perhaps that will take care of itself.

As a comparison, the 2009 was everything I hoped it would be. Easily an A+ beer. The flavors of the base beer were allowed to come forth and play a better supporting role for the beautiful bourbon barrel, which resulted in an absolutely decadent brew. Massive and superbly balanced nose and palate, with a great look to boot, this might be my favorite American brewed bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. With some time, I can only hope the 2010 vintage will smoothen out like this, and hopefully future vintages will follow suit. I will constantly be on the lookout for this brew. Thanks to everyone for a great time, and another huge cheers to those who made this evening possible.

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

2010 bottle into a snifter.

A: Black body with dark brown highlights throughout; head was thin, and diapated quickly leaving a thin light brown foam.

S: Hot, definatley smell the booze, coffee, and chocolate. Heavy on the alcohol.

T: Sweet (a little to sweet for my taste) and very hot! Alcohol is really heavy although not as bad as I expected.

M: Thick, heavy, sticky.

O: I was really amped to try this one and I wasn't sure what to really expect. Overall it was solid, but I am glad I didnt trade away my cellar or drop $40 on a bottle. I think I will stick to RIS's around 10% ABV. Just a little to heavy on the alcohol for me.

Cheers!

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

Finally! 2010 vintage reviewed courtesy of David. Glad to try some of this, now I can sit on my 2009 longer ;) Poured into a Cigar City Snifter.

Poured an absolute pitch black with a slight ring of mocha head that recedes to a slight haze. Ominous. Nose is fantastic, just huge aromas of dark, sweet malt, chocolate, and molasses with insane Bourbon characteristics of oak, vanilla, and caramel. Taste follows the nose in the best possible way, nothing but darkest malt, molasses, chocolate and Bourbon. So smooth and complex. Mouthfeel is expectedly syrupy and viscous, with a full body and low carbonation. Bit of pleasant chest-fire from the +18% ABV, but I sure don't mind! Overall a mind-blowingly insane beer, so excited to finally experience this beast!

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

750mL bottle 2010 batch, poured into snifter reviewed on 8/27/11

A: Pours a dark brown, not black as the name seems to imply with no head or lacing left around glass, which is to be expected for a beer this big.

S: Lots of alcohol which is hard to get past. Hints of toffee, chocolate and bourbon are detectable behind all of the alcohol.

T: Lots of roasted malt with toffee and chocolate notes with oak, vanilla and some coconut from the bourbon barrels. Lots of alcohol.

M: Very full body, low to moderate carbonation and finishes very sweet.

O: Very unique brew, too much alcohol in the nose takes away from the experience but tastes quite good, especially as it warms up. Nice warming after each sip..

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%

2010 Vintage
Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

A - Pours a thicker black liquid with a no light coming through it. The pour generates a 0.5 inch dense head that is dark tan colored. It recedes at a quicker pace down to a thin ring around the glass.

S - The aroma could be perceived as soon as it was poured with tons of bourbon notes even when at arms length. Wow. Huge aroma. Very complex and intense. Pure molasses and caramel notes come up first mixed in with some perfect Bourbon notes. Quite intense sweetness. Some woody notes are present as well as vanilla. There is tons of vanilla in the nose. The sweetness is balanced down with some slight woody notes and spice. There is some nice boozy heat on the nose as well.

T & M - Wow. This beer is huge but delicious. Wow. Its complex and initially blew me away. I didn't think I would be able to pull this off. After a couple of more sips I was able to tame the strength. It starts off with pure sweet caramel and molasses, tons of brown sugar, dark dark fruits. Liquid vanilla notes as well as some nice sweet Bourbon rich notes. There is a real boozyness to this beer with some nice heat finishing of the beer and lingering sip after sip. This might not be the best Double Stout but its close and it definitely is the strongest IMO. There is some chocolate notes and slight bitterness that struggles to come through the full bodied sweetness of this beer.

O - Awesome brew. It definitely deserves the hype but maybe note the price ;). Great full body with awesome flavors that linger for a long time.

4.02/5  rDev -10.1%

Review #201 (right after Kate the Great on the same day)

A: Pours medium thick with minimal head, though this was split 4 ways into snifters and poured slowly. Color looks to be dark brown, not as black as I expected. Lacing is minimal but as expected for such high ABV. 3.5

S: Smell is pretty dominant on bourbon, but isn’t as intense as straight Kentucky bourbon. There’s also a decent overlay of chocolate and toffee. The melody of flavors really come through as it warms too. 4

T&M: For such a high ABV this goes down real smooth. There is some throat warming but it’s complimentary and not too overwhelming. Taste is sweeter than I expected, but consists of Bourbon, chocolate, toffee, a little bit of raisin. Very nice. 4 / 4.5

O: Overall this was a pretty good RIS. Not as thick as I was hoping for, but the barrel aging component of this beer was damn good. A little sweeter than I expected, but this doesn’t detract from the overall experience. In fact, I liked it that way. 4

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

'10 bottle

Appearance was black as black can be. No lacing, just jet black goodness.

Smell was sweet, maybe too sweet for some. Perfect for me though. I got big BA on the nose as well.

Taste was BA goodness, no sign of the ABV. Straight barrel, oak, vanilla yumminess. NOT hot!

Mouthfeel followed suit. Sticky, cloying, thick, viscous. Everything I love in a BA stout.

Overall, way overhyped! Probably the best BA stout I have had, but not worth trading a cellar over. I love this stout, but would easily keep some Bourbon County over it. Once it is more readily available, we'll see.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Special thanks to Mike for bringing this to last nights tasting. Out of a snifter, 2010 bottle.

A- Pitch black. Little to no head, and light ring remains. No lacing, but a film coats the inside of the glass.

S- Sweet and boozy. Some notes of dark fruit and bourbon. Some oak, soy, and chocolate.

T- This stuff is seriously sweet. Strong notes of bourbon and dark malt and molassas. I get some oak and chocolate as well, plus some coffee notes. As I was drinking it, I couldn't help but think to myself "This tastes a lot like Sugar Daddies"

M- Definitely a little cloying, but the body and carbonation were spot on. Not too thick, and surprisingly drinkable for the ABV.

O- Overall, a great beer but maybe a little over hyped. It is so sweet, I just couldn't picture myself drinking too much more than I had. A very nice sipper, and a great beer to have tried.

-GFunk

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

2010 Vintage. Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this bottle.

A: Pours (shockingly) black with much more of a head than I was expecting for a beer so big. Appears to have some nice carbonation.

S: Aroma is great! Bourbon, chocolate and oak really all come together nearly perfectly here.

T: Taste follows the smell, with bourbon, chocolate and oak as the dominant flavors. It's quite sweet, but not cloying. Impressively balanced flavor for a beer so big and doesn't taste overly boozy.

M: Mouthfeel is a little on the thinner side for a beer so big, but not necessarily in a bad way. Definitely a little sticky-sweetness left in your mouth as well.

O: I was definitely a fan of this one, but it's a beer you really only need a small amount of. We split the bottle 4 ways and that was just fine with me, I didn't really need to have more than that. We all kinda came to the conclusion that it's a great dessert beer, but I'm not sure it's more than that. I'd love to try it with some age, and I'm glad I got to try it, but I can't think of a time where I would really ever be craving to drink this beer again.

4.07/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. 2010 bottle, from notes.

Appearance: In my tulip, Black Tuesday lives up to its name, being black all the way through with just a slightly lighter edge if I tilt the glass to make it thin enough.

Smell: Lots of gooey dark chocolate and fusel alcohol, with a little coffee and a fair amount of dark roasted malt to back it up.

Taste: Each sip starts out very sweet and feels boozy going down. Molasses, dark chocolate, some vanilla, and brown sugar add further sweetness to caramel and roasted malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: This has a very full body with medium carbonation. Although, I wonder if it would be possible for a beer with this thick of a body to have any more carbonation or whether the body would simply crush it. There is definitely a full burn going down, which is slightly unpleasant because it feels unnatural. There is no bourbon or other flavor that accompanies it, it is just there for its own sake.

Overall: This was a good beer and I think the Bruery executed what they wanted out of this beer, but I think it is just too over the top for me.

4.09/5  rDev -8.5%

750 ML bottle poured into a Bruery Tulip (what else should it have been :)

Thanks to Nicks6217 for the bottle 2010 version

Shared with several Sydney area BA's

A-- Slight gusher on opening, poured a dark cola color and settled black (honestly thought hunaphu was much darker in color). No head at all just touches of cola looking film. Obvious ABV legs, though not as oily as hunaphu was. Carbonation?? Yeah, none present.

S-- Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, dark fruits, Carmel and maple syrup. Well hidden ABV in the smell.

T-- Vanilla, bourbon, chocolate syrup. Sweet and sticky.

M-- Sweet, oily, and thin?? Really sweet and slick but thin as heck. German chocolate cake soaked in wine and bourbon. Not nearly as hot as I was expecting.

O-- Had no expectations on this and it was impressive. No way I could drink a 750 on my own. Found it to be enjoyable and interesting mostly due to how complex it is. I thought very similar to Bourbon County Vanilla but much smoother and more complex.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

The Heaven Hill version, thanks to mulder1010 for sharing this bottle

Slight gusher with a nice black colour and not a lot of head.

Smell is a whole bunch of chocolate with a lot of red winey/porty notes. Bourbon contribution was noted

Taste was very sweet and further resembled a chocolate red wine or port. The alcohol was well hidden, but there was a lot of sweetness.

Mouthfeel was relatively thin.

Overall this beer was very enjoyable and unique. Do not think I could handle a huge amount of this beer myself due to the large doses of residual sweetness, but it works well in a tasting context. Very much worth trying.

4.17/5  rDev -6.7%

2010 Vintage. Really been waiting a while to try this and I just moved so what better beer to break in the new house.

A= Pours into my Duvel Tulip a deep black color with a nice finger of head on it that falls fast and leaves a coca cola like fizz on top of the glass. A somewhat impressive head despite the size of the beer. The lacing is nowhere and the bubbles left after a while come strictly from the laser etching on the glass.

S= Smells of sweet sticky booze. Molasses comes to mind as well as maple syrup. The barrel comes through in a more minimal sense. The vanilla is present but again a bit minimal. An interesting mix. Nothing I would concider to be that amazing.

T= The taste is actually a bit suprising. Really sweet. The booze isn't as prominate as I would have expected. The sweetness is almost unbearable however. There is a big booze sting to it that dies a bit as it warms. Molasses come through the most. A decent bit of barrel and vanilla comes through as well. Mostly just really sweet though with a big booze bite.

M= The mouth is actually pretty thick for the size of the beast. Thick and slick like oil. There is a bit of an alcohol vapor left in my mouth that thins it out a bit in the finish.

O= This isn't as transending as I thought it would be. It is mostly just different because the hype and following this beer has. Worth checking out for sure and an amazing beer but it isn't nearly what people have said it is. In the end this is still a huge RIS with a ton of sugars in it. For what this beer is and where it came from I will say it is great though. Worth checking out but not worth blowing the bank. I think most local RIS's have a more nostalgic effect and are usually better per individuals taste.

4.44/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 vintage bottle poured into a snifter, sharred with many people.

A- Pours pitch black color, slight tan head that dissipates to nothing, no lacing; no apparent carbonation as well, from the appearance I can tell this is going to be a big beer.
S- Huge bourbon flavors, vanilla, alcohol is present, caramel, slight coffee presence, some dark fruits, raisins, plums.
T- Now this is a big beer, I was not turned off at all by how high the abv is, I can definitely tell the alcohol is there but I liked the warming effect it had, I’m really impressed with this massive brew, nice sweet malts, oak, vanilla, slight chocolate taste, coffee, big bourbon flavors are there, dark fruits, raisins, plums, I can see what everyone is saying about the 2009 vintage, ageing this beer would do wonders, still really impressed.
M- Big mouth feel, coats the palate, slight carbonation, sticky.
O- Very grateful to dougofthefuture for bringing this beer to the dinner tonight, I’ve been wanting to try any vintage I could get a hold of and now I finally have. Big Big beer that I hope to get a hold of again.

3.92/5  rDev -12.3%

2010 Vintage 18.2% abv

Pours jet black with minimal lacing and carbonation

The aroma is pretty seductive, german chocolate cake, burnt sugar, booze, and a little bit of vanilla

Taste is dominated by the booze followed by a lot of sugar. very hot

Mouthfeel is very thin for a beer this big

Overall this was good but the booze was very in your face unlike the previous vintage. Also, I didnt get nearly enough of the bourbon barrell character that I did in the '09. This one needs time.

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 batch, wow, don't see this one every day.
This one pours a still black inky liquid that looks exactly how i always thought it would. There are legs to meet anybodys desires.
The aroma gives a sweetness off right away but then makes it take on natural fruity sugars likeness, and cuts it down with a hefty alcohol presence.
The flavors are integrating very nicely it seems. My two worries going into this pour was either it being cloying or soy sauce, and i can say in this bottle neither was the case. I can see how some people could get either from this, but i found both aspects to be minimal enough that they contributed to the overall flavor componants in a positive manor. The alcohol and barrel flavors of vanilla and caramel, the rich chocolate, and those dark currants and fruits rolled in sugar.

This 2009 bottle was awesome, i really dug it. i wonder how this beer is fresh though.

4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

2009 vintage. This one pours a viscous oily midnight black with no head. It smells of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, and intense dark fruit sweetness. It has a really sweet nose. It drinks of chocolate coffee syrup and is insanely flavorful despite the sweetness. The chocolate and dark fruits work very well together. It's smooth, thick, and syrupy and could be hard to finish due to sugar and alcohol but its an intense imperial stout. This is just a massive beer and despite the abv, is not too hot having mellowed slightly, being the 2009 vintage. While good, I don't know why this vintage demands so much on the trade block.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

A huge thanks to Mike for sharing at a tasting. 2010 vintage.

A: Pour an inky black with raisin colored edges. The thin dark tan head left a few patches of lacing, but as I lightly swirl the liquid in my glass freaking legs of alcohol are left like in wine. This is going to be fun.
S: Super sweet smelling and alcoholic with notes of vanilla, caramel and bourbon. Very rich and dark.
T: Again, very sweet and boozy. I felt the flavors were actually not very complex, but I still think it tastes very good. Picture a really good straight forward well integrated stout. It has all the right flavors one would expect such as vanilla, chocolate, molasses, caramel, raisin, and bourbon, and it has it in all the right ways. I get raisin in the finish, and aftertaste is full of vanilla and chocolate and definitely lingers long as the swallow.
M: Ultra thick and syrupy with a boozy and hot mouthfeel that isn’t necessarily uncomfortable.
O: A really solid and impressive beer that is not for the light of heart. There are better stouts out there of this caliber, but over-all the hype is pretty close to worth it. Thanks again Mike for the pour.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Just wow! Neorunner you sent me probably one of the best beers I have ever received trading directly or BIF. I am just blown away by your generous blinded beer. You have humbled me. The bottle is marked share x2. The bottle has a thin black wax wrap.

This beer was shared between 4 people. It was a very fitting and worthy beer for the occasion. The beer was split 4 ways and served in tulip glasses.

A - 4.5 The body of the beer is black and totally impenetrable by light. I could almost mistake this for 40 weight oil. The head was the coloration of nugget from a 3 Muskateers candy bar. The head resolved to a thin ring of foam. No lacing noted on the glass.

S - 5.0 The aroma of bourbon rises out of the bottle when cracked at arms length. At this point if you don't love bourbon its time to walk away. Lucky for me my companions love the bourbon! The aroma is very similar to making good bourbon balls. Cocoa, brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate cake covered in bourbon, a lot of bourbon booze present but not a problem. Someone has masterfully used a bourbon barrel to great effect!

T - 5.0 A brilliant use of a bourbon barrel. Bourbon soaked chocolate cake, figs, dates, raisins, vanilla. Very sweet and darkly roasted malt notes. The alcohol is used as a foil to keep the sweetness in check. Absolutely no harshness noted to the flavor. This only gets better as the beer warms up.

M / D - 5.0 / 5.0 This is a perfectly viscous and thick beer. Very very full bodied. Makes me feel like Mix-Alot. My anaconda dont want none unless you got buns. Baby got Back! This is a perfect beer drinking experience. Literally everything I hope for in a barrel aged RIS. My beer buzz tells me this is 15% +. The actual drinking experience feels about 10 - 12 %.

I mentioned I was blown away by this generous beer offering. Thank you Nate - Neorunner! The rest of the package could be crazy eds barrel aged chili beer and cask Colt .45 I would be completely satisfied.

The reveal: Bruery Black Tuesday. Dude you are a maniac!

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

2009 edition

Super inky black color (as expected). Thick & with viscous lacing left around the glass. Thin layer of tan head.

Aroma is almost pure bourbon - it comes through so strongly that you really can't pick up much of anything else (possibly some hints of vanilla).

Flavor is a bit better with the maltiness fighting its way through the bourbon a bit more than in the nose. The sweetness makes itself known as well. Not bad by any means - I just prefer a bit more complexity.

Mouthfeel is great - the thick feel of this one really works well for this beer.

The finish is (not surprisingly) very strong and boozy - can't imagine I'd be able to put way too much of this stuff - its a big bold bourbon bomb of a beer so if you like that sort of thing you will LOVE this.

Recommended, but maybe a bit underwhelming - just not as complex as I'd hoped for - maybe with more time the bourbon would chill out a bit and mingle in with the other flavors but for me that overly bourbony aspect detracted from my overall enjoyment of the beer.

3.13/5  rDev -30%

750ml black waxed bottle, 2010 Vintage.

Pours a super dark inky black with a small but super dark brown head. Nose is crazy boozy, malty, sweet, raisin and molasses.

Taste is very hot, boozy, sweet and honestly just a bit too much. The mouthfeel is syrupy but almost too thin, sticky and quite low carbonation. There is a good dark, sweet melty chocolate.

This is pretty much the concent of my group - not sure about the high ratings on here

Black Tuesday from The Bruery