Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 675 | Ratings: 3,798
3.08/5  rDev -31.1%

2009 bottle shared generously by punkrkr27 at FL invades MI May Super Tasting, thanks Steve!
Served at room temp, it poured a super jet black with a one finger, light brown head. Smell is dark, boozy chocolate and what seems to be dry wood. Taste is syrupy dark chocolate as well as some vanilla and honey dipped marshmallow. Mouthfeel on this beer was the highlight to me--a very full, viscous body that’s complimented by a supporting chewy malty-ness. Definitely a hot finish in the throat.
The noticeable abv makes it a dry finish after swallowing, but this beer was super sweet with lots of rich malt and there’s no way I could enjoy more than 3oz.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Opened this beast at Dark Lord Day 2011, shared with people in line. From notes:

A: Black Hole dark, pretty badass and intimidating.

S: Phenomenal bourbon notes. I don't know what these guys use to age their beers in but its golden. All I can smell is bourbon, especially in the cold and rain.

T: EPIC! This was well worth what I traded for it. I thought it would disappoint based off the other reviews but it most definitely did not. Sweet vanilla and oak as it warmed, better than most Barrel aged brews I've come across.

M: Extremely viscous, very coating and adds to flavor production.

O: This is one that lives up to the hype! Very, very happy I have a bruery connection and can look forward to having another one of these, bourbon aged stout heaven!

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks Jared & Kevin for making this review possible... An appropriately sinny rapturebeer™ if ever there was one. Review from written notes.

Into a small tulip glass it pours an imposing black with blood red ruby edges that glint in the light. Slim amount of foam, tan ring around the edge, surprising there was any foam considering the abv. The glassy obsidian surface reminds me of the oily black pool at Glastonbury Grove in Twin Peaks.

Toasted marshmallows, melted milk chocolate bars, deep roasty char.

Rich and fudgy (understatement), caramel toffee, almond fudge, fried plantains, warm chocolate syrup. Mucho dry roast and bitter bakers chocolate in the aftertaste. So decadent. Impossibly dense, fudgy and chewy to the nth degree, a perfect liquid dessert. About 4 oz. is enough for one sitting, although I could certainly drink more if I forced myself.

3.82/5  rDev -14.5%

2009 bottle split with 3 friends.

A: This poured dark black with a very thin mocha head. I was surprised that it has this much carbonation.

S: It smelled like a very hot bourbon. I could get some dark malts, soy and some dark fruits as well.

T: The taste was pretty similar to the smell. At first I thought that the alcohol was fairly well hidden. But then, after about 10 seconds or so, the alcohol made its presence known. This went away as my senses got overwhelmed. I was also able to detect some great dark fruits and soy in the taste. It was better than I was anticipating.

M: The mouthfeel was OK. It was a little too heavy for my tastes.

O: I found this to be slightly better than average. The alcohol makes it near impossible to finish by yourself. I figured after 2 years that it would have tamed down some but it was still pretty hot. This might be better in another couple of years. I will re-visit in 2 years and re-rate.

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%

2010 Vintage. Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours black with a fair amount of thick, brown head. Nice lacing.

Aroma: Tons of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, some coconut.

Taste: Chocolate, vanilla, coconut. Sweet. Really, really, really sweet. Some of complained that this is sickeningly sweet. I disagree. It is not something you would down on a summer afternoon after working in the yard, it is to be savored like a dessert wine or port.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy.

Overall: This is a tremendous beer. It is like an almond joy bar in liquid form. If you don't like big sweet bourbon bombs, this is not the beer for you. But, if you are like me and love sweeter stouts...damn this is good.

4.27/5  rDev -4.5%

497th review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750, Capped & Waxed
2010 Bottle

Split 6 ways for Bottle 5 of 5 for Birthday dinner. Even my wife, who most of you have seen me post about said this is pretty good.

App- This was a Black Stout, I have said it before, but this was damn dark. Only thing is that no head formed, no lacing not real carbonation level to it.

Smell- Everything I had heard about this about being hot, being too big in the aromatics was a little over done. This was big yes, but it was smooth, boozy, and sweet. Smelled a lot like a port vs a stout. Very dark chocolate with the dark fruits and Bourbon scents with some vanilla as well.

Taste- Not at all how hot I thought it would be. It was big and rich and lush. The flavors were very mellow but you can tell the ABV on this while smash you alone. The vanilla and chocolate blend with some some of the port flavors.

Mouth- This is exactly how I felt a stout should be on the palate. It was lush, creamy, smooth, rich, decadant and full. A very full bodied stout with a low carbonation.

Drink- I sat on this bottle since its release in October for a special occasion and I fiqured a birthday to be one of them. I am sure Ill keep trying to acquire this year to year. Wonderful brew! To the team at The Bruery. Nicely done.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

I want to drink a whole bottle of this by myself. Next birthday, if I'm not double-fisting Cantillons, I'll be drinking this straight out of the bottle, probably wrapped in a paper bag to make it super ghettofab.

A - It pours an oily dark-brown hue, literally appearing like filthy motor oil. It has some red around the edges, and is capped with a crimson-tinged khaki head that recedes to a minimal frothy film.

S - The nose is ridiculously decadent; molasses, dark and milk chocolate, Bourbon and Kahlua, chocolate-covered cherry cordials, and the charred top of Creme Brulee all come to mind. Given the ABV, booze is understated.

T - The taste is fabulous. Rich notes of roasted grain, molasses, dark chocolate, vanilla, Bourbon, charred sugar, toffee and sweet medjool dates are proffered, and the resulting brew is supremely delicious, and exceptionally decadent. The brew is intensely flavorful, literally saturating your palate with the richness of the elements at play.

M - Big, rich and luscious.

O - I did not find this brew to be exceptionally hot; it is, however, definitely on the sweet side. I tend to like some relatively sweet beers, if they are well done; exquisite (and disparate) examples that come to mind are JW Lees Harvest Ale, Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock, BCS Rare, TREAT, 100% BA Coton, Vanilla DL, Brandy Hunahpu, Westvleteren 12, Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Kaiser Blauw, etc. This is definitely a brew of that ilk, in terms of being a delicious nectar of the Gods, and it is as good as any one of the aforementioned brews.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Old draft review. Poured a rich, oily midnight black color with a hint of dark brown foam on top. Aromas of bourbon, dark chocolate, oak, vanilla and roasted malt. On the palate, this one is thick and full bodied, with flavors of dark fruits, huge bourbon, oak, vanilla, dark chocolate and hot alcohol. An insanely delicious and exceptional beer.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Sampled with RandomBattle and some others on a NY trip home:

Appearance - there is no head whatsoever on this beer, very reddish brown in color, like the color of dark leather

Smell - vanilla, and bourbon. Very enjoyable, probably one of the best smelling BA Stouts

Taste - Wow this beer will creep up on you. With such a smooth taste I can imagine downing more than I realize when that ABV hits me. Lots of dark fruits, sweet molasses and a bit of vanilla towards the end.

Mouthfeel - Considering the style, its pretty thin, not the huge chunky mess that some other stouts have become at this point. However, I think it did work out pretty well considering its drinkability.

Overall - great beer, I realize its very hyped but I'm impressed with what I got when I got to try it

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

I've had the 2009 vintage once and the 2010 vintage out of the bottle 5 times and on tap once. The 09 is substantially better than the 2010. Not sure if this is due to the alcohol variation or age, but likely both.

This review is from a recent stout tasting I had - thanks to Mark for sharing - you're awesome!

A - Small amount of mocha head that did not stick around very long. This is dark like night, sticky yet silky, which I didn't even know was possible.

S - I smelled this for a few minutes before diving in. I didn't get any alcohol on the nose. Very complex, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and raisins. Love this smell - every time you go in for a whiff it's slightly different.

T - Amazing! The Bruery knocked it out of the park. Sweetness, vanilla, molasses, maple syrup, roast, chocolate, bourbon, alcohol is present but subdued.

D - I could probably drink half the bottle myself before the sweetness would take it's toll, however I would never do that because this a gem that can only be shared with a few people. What a great treat!

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Some kind soul gave me a pour at DLD. From the BT '09 bottle.

Pours a sugar-shimmering black with a small ring of whitish-tan head. This is big and looks yummy. The nose is enormous vanilla, with the rest being hints of wood, bourbon, chocolate, roast. But, this is a big huge vanilla bomb. One of the best smelling beers I've had. Unbelievable taste of vanilla bourbon. Side flavors of wood, and chocolate, roast, coffee, a touch of dark fruit. Definitely a sweet sipper of a beer. Little to no booziness, which is a shocking feat (might be the age). Unlike Bourbon County Rare, this has less depth of flavor and more punch you in the face vanilla. The mouthfeel is excellent, big, sticky with low carbonation. One of the top few beers I have ever had. Wow. Liked this better than Chocolate Rain, though everyone else felt the opposite way. This is legit.

[edit: since had this a few times and am dinging it a bit because none of my other goes have been quite as good as the original review]

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Had this at the Black Tuesday event at the Bruery and split a bottle with my friends at a later date, this review is a combination of the two.

Enjoyed out of a Bruery tulip. (how appropriate)

Appearance - Well, there is no head whatsoever on this beer. At first I figured it was because of the small pour at the event but having it a second time, with a larger amount in the glass, yielded the same result. Otherwise its black in the core with hints of reddish brown on the edges.

Smell - A wonderful combination of vanilla, chocolate, malts, and bourbon. Very pleasant and balanced, a lot of people say they just smell booze, while that wouldn't be unthinkable given the ABV there are a lot more wonderful aromas going on in there. My one friend, literally, could not take his nose out of his snifter, he loved it.

Taste - It's amazing. Asides hitting your tongue with a balanced myriad of BB RIS flavors, it is frighteningly smooth. I've had beers that were 10% and had a mild alcohol burn to them. This, not in the slightest. Nothing but smooth sweet vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, and some really nice port wine flavors. Fantastic.

Mouthfeel - Well it is incredibly smooth as I said, however it's not as thick as some other RIS's out there, which is in no way a bad thing, as a matter of fact it completely works for this beer. If it was any thicker this beer would be a bit overwhelming.

Overall - It's great. Very happy to have enjoyed this beer. I am supremely excited to open up the rest of the bottles I have in the future, and am looking forward to going to the Black Tuesday event again this year.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Big thanks to Khumbard for pouring this. Bottle 2010.

A: Pours a dark brown, almost black, but not quite. Not quite as thick as I was expecting, more like a strong ale, less an RIS. A thin layer of tan foam.

S: Smells sweet, with vanilla, and raisins/prunes, hint of dark chocolate and roasted malts. Booze, lots of booze.

T: Sweet and boozy. Raisins and prunes are dominate, with hints of oak, vanilla, dark chocolate nuances, but not as much as the nose would suggest.

M/D: Thinner than the style would suggest, good carbonation. Thought this would have benefited from being thicker, or maybe I just should not have expected it. The alcohol is very present, but it makes itself known after the swallow right in the middle of the chest. Very much like a whisky would. Awesome beer though.

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

Much thanks to Adam for busting this out at our tasting.

Pours a jet black with almost no head, not surprising, looks intimidating, all the rumors must be true....

Aroma is some vanilla and oak, a pretty good bit of gooze on the nose. Roast malt comes through in a big way. Pretty hot and equally as intimidating as the appearance.

Taste is big and intense, very hot. Vanilla is evident, along with a big roast character. It's surprisingly sweet, from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel is extremely thick and it really coats the mouth and lingers long after the sip. I think this one will age well but its kind of hot and intense now. Without the hype, I doubt it would get such high numbers.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

2010 vintage, poured into a snifter.

The infamous Black Tuesday. The brew utilizes 2,500 pounds of grain -- more than double any of the brewery's usual recipes, along with several different forms of sugar, making it a pain in the ass to work with. According to brewer Patrick Rue, Tuesday, July 1, 2008 turned out to be a fateful day in Bruery history: "I go to check on how full the drum is, and decide to put a bit more in there. I open the valve, and the mash forcefully falls into the drum. It is flowing everywhere. I try to close the valve, but it's jammed. Mash and 170 degree water is flying everywhere. It's a tidal wave of hot shit, all over my arms, legs, in my boots, and the brewery is a disaster." As punishment, he threw the brew in time-out for a year in bourbon barrels, and here we are.

Upon popping the cap, a soft smoke rises from the neck, followed by the slow lava flow of cocoa-colored bubbles. I pour it into my glass before I get any overflow. The bubbles are soapy and short-lived, not holding together well and becoming a medium-sized ring. The color is black, obviously, but it’s got nice viscosity and leaves thick, clear legs upon the swirl.

Absolutely tons of vanilla and oak in the nose, met with a nearly equal amount of dark, sweet Morello cherry syrup. In the background, there’s dark chocolate, toast, molasses , caramelized sugar and hints of licorice and anise. It’s definitely a sweeter aroma, but damn fine.

This is just all the best parts of a bourbon-aged stout. Very sweet initially, with lots of vanilla-soaked dark cherries and plums. Star anise peeks out its little head occasionally as well. Notes of dark chocolate truffle, black strap molasses and maple syrup linger long after the finish. It’s definitely a saccharine flavor — they must’ve been playing Pour Some Sugar On Me in the brewhouse that fateful Tuesday. I could use a bit more roast and a touch more sweetness, but we’re really splitting hairs here — this is an incredible flavor.

Just a touch of carbonation, which is pretty perfect here. Medium-full, creamy body is sugar-filled and nearly syrupy, but goes down so smoothly. The alcohol, at 18.2 percent by volume, is unavoidable, numbing the tongue and bringing lots of warmth through the nose and chest. It;s no worse than any other top-tier BA stout I’ve had, however.

The hype is well-deserved — Black Tuesday is a monstrous, flavorful, delicious beer made for sipping and sharing. Pair it with chocolate-dipped cookies like I did and even a stock market crash wouldn’t phase you.

4.09/5  rDev -8.5%

Thanks to Dyan for bringing this to our recent tasting. Put together in a side-by-side with Chocolate Rain. Bottle is from the 2010 vintage.

Thick and viscous, just as the name implies. It pours with no head, a thick tar-colored liquid that splashes its way into the glass without producing even bubbles. However, surprisingly, around the edges, there is a garnet/brown/ruby hue that appears in the presence of some backlighting.

The aroma is big and bold, just as I expected. Lots of soy sauce in there, along with dark chocolate, warm booze that may be just a bit too much at this point, and some vanilla. Bourbon and the oaky and also extract-like vanilla come through to round out the aroma, but they are still competing a bit too much with the high alcohol for my taste.

The flavor has all the balance that the aroma lacks. Bourbon, oak, and vanilla, interplay beautifully in front of the prickly alcohol heat. Some soy sauce and dark fruit oxidation yields dates and prunes that work very well with the barrels. The soy sauce doesn't detract from the beer one bit, and in fact, I think it helps to enhance it.

There is a prickly alcohol presence with due to the gravity of this delectable brew. This isn't so much balanced, per se, but rather well proportioned, as nothing with this much bourbon, booze, and barrel characteristics can strive to be anything more balanced than this is

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%

Have had a Black Tuesday about a half dozen times now, but all small pour tasters at The Bruery, or their Reserve Society events. This review, however, is based on a 2010 bottle, that was shared with me and a few others by Skuter (thanks Scott) in celebration of his 1 year wedding anniversary with his wife. Anyhow, on to the review.

A: Black, with a murky dark deep brown hue, light film of head. Not really lacing on the glass, more just a very noticeable coating, on the glass, like thin motor oil.

S: Very complex, with layered and melded scents. Imperial stout soaked Dark fruits at first, such as Figs, dates, plums, followed by the Heaven Hill bourbon barrel character, kiss of oak, vanilla, and caramel, then finely fresh ground espresso beans, and roasted malts.

T: Fantastic layers of dark cacao chocolate, baked and moist chocolate cake, bourbon soaked dark fruits again, tongue massaging light oak, vanilla, caramel, roasted coffee, and rich, creamy finish.

M: Lightly carbonated, sticky, sweet, full, slick, and viscous. Chewy like a brownie.

O: An amazing beer, and real treat to taste every time. (though I do like Chocolate Rain better) It's not hard to tell that the claim on the bottle (will age for decades) will likely be true, given that it is over 18% ABV, so it will age much like a Port wine imho. I'm very thankful I still have a bottle of the 2009, and two of the 2010 in my cellar. As part of the RS,(which to me personally, was worth every penny, and I'm enjoying being a part of it) I'm looking forward to the 2011 batch.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

It came on a Monday night....Black Tuesday!! Hugh thanks to the generosity of BeerFM Andy for sharing this one of a kind brew. Pours a thick midnight black a la motor oil with a two finger tan head. Sweet aroma taste which is body slammed by the hot booziness. Great tones of chocolate, vanilla, mild bourbon, and molasses.

A cage match in a glass between the sweet and the booze which can be fatiguing. Think I'll skip the next train fuel station and just pour Black Tuesday into the tank. A powerhouse of a stout.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared this on Saturday at the SMBDC. 4-5oz poured into a tasting glass. Bottle from afksports - thanks Brendan. 2010 vintage

A: Well, it's certainly a dark beer. Very thin amount of head with the pour. Pretty average looking for a imperial stout

S: First whiff was almost straight booze. Settled down after that to reveal notes of vanilla, bourbon, chocolate and graham cracker. There is still some booze present but it gets mostly covered up by the other characters. Decadent nose

T: This is a really complex beer. Not quite as chocolately as I was expecting but this flavor does come out more as time went by. I got a wonderful blend of cherry, caramel, light roast, chocolate and some bourbon booziness. Detected a little soy sauce as well

M: Basically as full bodied as a beer can get. Not quite on the level of Kate though. Creamy, boozy chocolate finish

D: Split amoungst 8 people, the group was unamiously impressed by this beer. Certainly worthy of the praise it gets but may be a little too high on the hype scale. Trust me, I would drink this all the time if possible but it's just way too hard to get

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

2010 bottle shared by Urbancaver. Thanks Cam.

Poured into snifter revealing a deep brownish black color. Slight head that was erased without any residual lacing on the glass. Really enjoyed the smell on this one. I picked up sweet chocolate and brown sugar with some vanilla and oak. Tasted very similar with brown sugar shining through with some chocolate, toffee, bourbon and sweet vanilla. Pretty thick and syrupy, but it blended pretty well and anymore could have been too much on the taste. Very drinkable for + 18% and as it warmed up I enjoyed this beer more even though it was the last one open at our tasting.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

A. Pours black with a head with thin foam with no apparent residual lacing.

S. Brown sugar incredible. Chocolate and bourbon with vanilla and a delicious brown sugar component with dark fruits (including figs and raisins).

T. Brown sugar, bourbon, chocolate, dark fruit. The alcohol is nicely subdued.

M. Thick luscious body with a nice amount of carbonation that helps it from becoming too heavy, but allows a nice level of complexity to sit on your tongue.

D. Incredibly drinkable for 18.2%. Complex and interesting. Sweet without being too cloying.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark black with some gorgeous reddish tints on the edges, a touch of off white head. Very Solid thick appearance. Smells incredibly sweet and chocolatey. Tons of brown sugar o the nose. Tastes like chocolate syrup and brown sugar! Tons and tons of sweetness. Very sweet and overpowering but incredibly drinkable for being 18.2%. Surprisingly drinkable..

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

2010 vintage. My top want for a while. Here we go!
Thanks urbancaver for bringing it and coldponcho for making him open it!

A-black in color with no head whatsoever. No tuesdays seen in the appearance
S-warm bourbon and sweetness
T-very complex and smooth. Huge hints of Bourbon, vanilla. Crazy smooth
M-medium body and crazy smooth. There is no way this is 18%. Way too drinkable.
O-wow. Definetly worth they hype. Delicious brew

4.79/5  rDev +7.2%

Well hey, BT pours out, black, but is very dark brown, you've seen blacker, so what. Very little head here, not much carbonation, plenty enough for style, immensity of this case.

The greatest meld of chocolate and bourbon for a series of beer, this one has plenty, and until I tried the chocolate rain version, I hadn't had a better example/mix of the beauty the two can do together. The vanilla and slightly charred oak feel is around, its warming, but for 18% it really is so nice. A rounded leather and tobacco blend can make you feel like you're in a Western. Every time I drink BT it burns itself into my memory. BT release night, Christmas fire etc. . .

Such a great 'base' beer for all the melanges/rain variations. Greatest cigar beer of all time. Sweetness. Every aspect is huge. It is very warming. Boozy, but never harsh.

Ended up rationalizing to write this review, I need to print a new 'my' top 1/2/300 list for my house anyways, such a completionist.

EDIT: Man, just had my first bottle of the 2011 last weekend during the Lesnar/Overeem fight. Might be the best one yet, and the appearance is just delightful.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Thanks for hooking this up abecall98!

A: Thinner black with beige cream head. Quite ephemeral, liqueur qualities present.

S: Dark fruits, boozy vapors, backing chocolate and vanilla in full effect.

T: Such a sweet beer. Chocolate covered cherries, raisins, bourbony vanilla sauce, figgy finish. Lots of heat throughout but surprisingly muted for 18%.

M: Quite viscous for the ABV. Long lingering booze presence.

O: Split four ways, it was a long drink. Excellent for an evening movie but a challenge at a tasting. We mostly just enjoyed small sips. Glad I tried it but wouldn't trade as much as I did for another.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery