Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Ratings: 3,872 |  Reviews: 692

3.5/5  rDev -21.7%

2011 Black Tuesday opened with my Dad on Christmas Day 2011.

It pours black, yep black. A few bubbles break the surface but it's ultimately an inky black beer with no head to speak of. Just a few tan bubbles. The aroma is okay. It's good I suppose. Dark fruits, intense alcohol, not heavy on the bourbon actually. I was expecting the bourbon barrel to dominate the nose but it didn't.

The flavor is actually a dark fruit bomb. Little roast, the bourbon notes are overshadowed by the figgy, raisin like flavors. Alcohol is evident but not nearly as evident as it could be. Lots of residual sugars create a long, sweet finish. It's not bad. It's not great but it's not bad. Complexity is somewhat lacking. I'd like a little more roasted malt flavor and little more bitterness. It's just incredibly sweet and after 5 or 6 oz can be a little draining on the palate.

The abv, style, and residual sugars would suggest a lush, thick, mouthfeel.... Yeah, not so much. Incredibly thin for the style. The carbonation is appropriate for the style but the weight on the tongue is lacking.

Overall, this is a nice beer. Not one of the Bruery's better efforts but a nice enough Imperial Stout. Not worth the price tag or effort to obtain for a Midwest guy with a shallow cellar.

3.52/5  rDev -21.3%

Served in a snifter.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing his winnings with me!

And the elusive Black Tuesday sits in my glass. Nice. it pours a straight obsidian topped by a half-finger of light ecru foam. The nose comprises rich bourbon, chocolate syrup, roasted malts, molasses, and oak. Smells like the hype might ring true. The taste, though, ensures that it does not. The bourbon is far too hot, the chocolate is just a step too sweet, and these combined with a hefty dose of roasted malts produce an unnerving prickle on the tongue. It's clear there was a damn good idea in place for this beer, but it doesn't seem as though it was carried out very well. Perhaps some age would have done it some good, but I'm not sure I'll find that out. As it stands, the flavors are just too all over the place to work properly. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-chewy feel. Overall, though disappointing, I was very glad to have been able to try this brew. I can see why many would love it, but it's just not working for me.

3.53/5  rDev -21%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev -20.8%

After having Black Tuesday at the HOTD dock sale, I looked forward to opening this bottle at a tasting with friends last night so I could give it a proper review.

The beer appears black in my glass fading into a clear brown hue on the edges as I hold it up to the light. I expected it to be a little thicker and more opaque in it's color.

It smells sweet like dark fruits, roasty and oaked. The taste is just like how it smells. There's a dark fruity, bourbon, and vanilla presence that becomes more prominent. Definitely some woody dark chocolate and caramel notes. The mouthfeel is thinner than I expected but the flavors are integrated well which helped mask the 19.5% ABV.

It's quite good and extremely drinkable but is it the best? No, IMHO, but it is definitely one of the better stouts out there.

3.54/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev -20.1%

2010 bottle into a wine glass; sampled at DLD '11. Huge thanks to the generous sharer of this famous treat.

A: Black body with dark brown highlights; thin, fleeting head of light brown foam. Looks big, and there's no surprise there.

S: Booze, coffee, booze, chocolate, booze, earthiness, and booze. Hugely alcoholic, and yet somehow also hugely appealing.

T: Cloyingly sweet here, and that's about it. Seriously, this is sweeter than Vanilla Bean Dark Lord, and in this case that's not a complement. Crazy.

M: Thick, sticky. Yup.

O: I was really excited to try this beer (obviously enough), and wasn't sure what to expect. Smelling it made me think that I'd fall in love with its sheer vastness of flavor, but when it came to the point of actually tasting the beer it was a serious letdown. All the complexity of the aroma got washed out in a massive wave of underattenuated sugar, so much so that it resembled beer-flavored pancake syrup more than actual beer. Now that I've tried it, I definitely won't be trading my whole cellar for more.

Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got to have it at the right time

3.6/5  rDev -19.5%

2009 version

A - poured reddish dark brown without much of a head

S - smelled very sweet - maple syrup and vanilla with molasses and a modicum of toasted malt. More sweet than anything.

T - Followed the nose perfectly. Opened up extremely sweet - loads of syrupy molasses and vanilla from the bourbon barrels. A lot of chocolate milk chocolate was blended in there as well. It ended very sweet, almost too sweet. I guess the sweetness is warranted for the huge ABV this thing packs.

M - chewy mouthfeel to it with a full body. The booze was really well hidden.

D - this one was overly sweet to me. I felt like this was a huge beer, but the ABV just made it way sweeter than it needed to be. I can see why some people would really like this, but I think the couple glasses I had of it were way more than enough. The overly sweetness got to me after awhile. Good to try, but I wouldn't be disappointed if I never had it again.

---

2010 version - it seemed that molasses wasn't as prominent and this was not as sweet as the 2009 version, albeit it was still extremely sweet.

3.61/5  rDev -19.2%

A big thanks to GregMcQ for sharing a bottle with me and many other BA friends.

A: Pours an opaque black color. A very minimal and bubbly tan head forms. The foam recedes in an second, and leaves no lace. Just an extremely dense liquid.
S: An awesome aroma of toasted, chocolate malt. Brown sugar. Dry wood, oak, and vanilla. Very sweet aromas. Some raisin and dark fruits. Lots of alcohol from the start.
T: Not nearly as complex as the nose. Still, it is very enjoyable. Alcohol hits right up front. Though raisin and other dark fruits come in to play. Powdered chocolate and vanilla. Alcohol is very powerful.
M/D: A full and sticky body. Very low carbonation. Almost under carbonated. A syrupy adhesive sticks to the tongue. Tons of alcohol. Something that needs to be sipped.

I did really enjoy this beer. Though it is hard to rate, and hard to categorize. Similar to Utopias in how extreme the beer is. Overall this is very good, and something that is great to share with friends. Very much worth a try, but it is still not among my favorites of the style.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery