Black Tuesday | The Bruery

4.54/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,905 |  Reviews: 700

4.01/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.01/5  rDev -11.7%

We split a bottle at Cambridge Commons at the post EBF lunch. Usual suspects avryle and drseamus. Before the review let it be said we had 6 people to split the bottle and we probably could have used another person or two.

A: It is black. That really does not do it justice though. This is the blackest beer that I have ever seen. The pour was in slow motion at it was really sticking to the snifters. More head than I thought would be on this beer. Super deep mocha/ coffee colored. No lacing.

S: Nothing like bourbon at noon on a Sunday. The bourbon really is overpowering. You get booze behind that. A little bit of burnt espresso beans and just a touch of chocolate after it had been sitting in my glass for about 30 min.

T: Bourbon again. This is one of the most over the top bourbon tastes in a beer ever. The heat and the sweetness catch up as well. There is not enough roast bitterness to balance it out. It is a one dimensional beer but it was an enjoyable experience.

M: Super thick. Just coated everything on the way down. The heat is part of the mouthfeel big time. You can actually feel this beer hit your stomach.

D: I am torn. It is a singular effort but it is not that drinkable a beer. We split the 750 6 ways and people had a hard time finishing their glasses. Granted we were in a restaurant but this beer probably needs quite a few friends and many hours with no one driving afterwards. I would drink it again though.

4.01/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks KeefD for sharing!

This beer looked almost just like any other imperial stout. In fact after having this beer last night I had a pout of the Darkness 09' and thought that had more head retention and lacing. Very dark and syrupy look to it.

A small swirl and then smell brought out a ton of the bourbon, a little overpowering to me. I could get more essence of the different flavors smelling than tasting it seemed.

This beer hides the almost 20% alcohol it holds pretty well. Small chocolate and vanilla flavors to it. As it warmed up the flavors were more brought out and so was the bourbon.

It deffinitly made my lips sticky, and almost felt like I had some coating my mouth. Pretty smooth, but Im saying that for a 20% beer.

I couldn't imagine drinking an entire bottle of this to myself and splitting it 3 ways I was close to buzzing! A sharing bottle indeed. Drinkability is just above what I would consider average.

2010 edition, split with friends and poured into a snifter

A: Dark, dark brown but not quite black as you can see through the edges of the glass. There was a 1 finger light brown head that faded quickly leaving about ½ a crown. The head had fairly poor retention, even for the style and there was no lacing.

S: There's bourbon up front, but light and nice. There's some etoh on the nose in the middle as well as a little caramel. To me this actually smells more like a bourbon barely barelywine than a stout. I think that's mostly due to the high ABV. There's also a strange lemon/ginger smell at the finish.

T: The main flavors here are licorice, some bourbon, and an aftertaste that consists of a little bourbon, a little booze and a smidgeon of toast and vanilla. As a side note, there were very little flavors of coffee, chocolate, caramel, maple, or other flavors typical of a stout.

M: First, I didn't think this was nearly as thick as it has been made out to be. With that being said it has a great mouthfeel and is on the thicker side as far as imperial stouts go.

D: Considering the extremely high ABV this one went down fairly easy, but with notable alcohol in the aftertaste. I would definitely have it again, but to be honest was a little under whelmed given the enormous amount of attention this beer gets.

4.02/5  rDev -11.5%

Special taster at the Bruery Provisions. Served in a tulip glass.

A: Jet black, no head, but nice lacing. Can't see through it, can't see carbonation.

S: Wowza. First off boozy. The high alcohol content is evident, with a brandy sort of smell. Vanilla, some fruitiness to it.

T: Boozy again, but that's to be expected. Very wine or brandy like. Hits hard with the boozy punch, but settled back with a smooth fruity and vanilla aftertaste.

M: Full bodied. Consistent.

O: Not my type of beer, but I can see why it is so popular.

4.02/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured into a red wine glass. The color is black with a nice medium tan head. this looks good.

The aroma has a nice dose of vanilla with loys of dark fruit. Bendurgin mentions cinnamon and I notice that too.

The taste is very sweet with a good portlike flavor. I get a lot of raisin in the flavor. Pretty good, but it might be a bit too sweet for many. The alcohol flavor is well integrated in this one.

This is of course a full bodied slow sipper with subtle carbonation. I like this. I would get it again.

4.02/5  rDev -11.5%

Review #201 (right after Kate the Great on the same day)

A: Pours medium thick with minimal head, though this was split 4 ways into snifters and poured slowly. Color looks to be dark brown, not as black as I expected. Lacing is minimal but as expected for such high ABV. 3.5

S: Smell is pretty dominant on bourbon, but isn’t as intense as straight Kentucky bourbon. There’s also a decent overlay of chocolate and toffee. The melody of flavors really come through as it warms too. 4

T&M: For such a high ABV this goes down real smooth. There is some throat warming but it’s complimentary and not too overwhelming. Taste is sweeter than I expected, but consists of Bourbon, chocolate, toffee, a little bit of raisin. Very nice. 4 / 4.5

O: Overall this was a pretty good RIS. Not as thick as I was hoping for, but the barrel aging component of this beer was damn good. A little sweeter than I expected, but this doesn’t detract from the overall experience. In fact, I liked it that way. 4

4.03/5  rDev -11.2%

The only thing I got out of this was ALCOHOL!! Overrated stout! Not a terrible beer by any means, but definitely does not deserve the score it has. Not as complex and balanced as I was hoping. Very strong and in your face. Almost a chore to put down

4.04/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Footbalm brought this along with a plethora of rare beers to the weekend RIS tasting... Thanks Eric.. Classy.

No real head as expected.. but it pours like motor oil.. coats the glass with every swirl.

Nose is thick with every element pronounced yet not very melded... dark chocolate syrup.. quite alot of bourbon.. raisins and dark cherries.... oaky in later pours.

Flavor is immediately reminiscent of Bourbon County but with alot more sweetness... boozy brownie batter .. vanilla sugar.. bits of coffee are drowned out by dark sweet fruits drenched in chocolate sauce.. Full bodied with a nice carbonation, but each sip makes me wanna go brush my teeth.. too cloying for my tastes.

Eric.. I appreciate the opportunity ... We had plenty of BT in Denver this year, and while I think it is very interesting, I still view it as more of a novelty.. That said, I REALLY want a bottle or two to hang on to for a few years and see how it melds... it seems like a bit of a mess right now.

3.5/4.5/4/4.5/3.5

4.04/5  rDev -11%

Picked this up from a great trade with Mike! (2012 vintage) An aggressive pour yielded no head or lacing with a rather flat looking pitch black body. The nose was huge and amazing. Tons of bourbon, oak, and roasty chocolate along with hints of vanilla, booze, espresso, and a touch of black licorice and soy sauce. The taste follows suit with huge notes of dark chocolate, bourbon, oak, and vanilla along with hints of booze soaked black cherries, espresso, molasses, port wine, and leather. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy and boozey and hot. There really was very little tangible carbonation. Overall, I've had this at tastings several times, but this was my first actual bottle of it. And although it's bold and full of flavor, it's so hot and boozey that it really detracts from the experience of drinking such a big beer. I drank this over the period of several hours and the booze was just relentless the entire time. I think I'll keep my other two bottles in the cellar for a while and see what happens...

Black Tuesday from The Bruery