Black Tuesday | The Bruery

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

#68

Ratings: 3,920 |  Reviews: 701
4.04/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - I am actually quite impressed for the ABV that this holds some carbonation, even though short lived resulting in just a mild lace ring I got a 1/8 inch of mocha head. Again I am surprised its not pitch black as it has some ruby hues to that base of the darkness.
S - Smell is very inviting of black currant, some port wine, and a heavy dose of bourbon. I can pick up mild notes of cocoa and dark fruits but it's faint.
T - WARNING the 2012 batch is boozy as hell. Even when warmed the bourbon notes smack you in the face then sweeten the tongue with one of the most heavy doses of caramel I ever tasted. When I get past the booze (very hard to do) It has an almost marshmallow like candy sweetness (and I love sweet beers) with what can only be described by me is a lashing of sugar plums and licorice. Very little chocolate (I could see why they made a version with cocoa nibs) or roast. As others described it's like a wine and I guess I was born to hate it since I can't stand wine.
M - Heavy if you swish this in your mouth prepare to gag a little bit as the bourbon is one of the most strongest I have ever encountered. As it warms to a near room temperature (55-60 degree's) it's almost unbearable of the level of bourbon.

Overall I shared this with my brother and even though he is not a craft beer drinker he helped me with 8oz of this. As I type I still have 2oz (of my 16) and it's so hard to choke down. I guess it's true that some people rate things higher when they pay the "rare" cost.

4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

Chocolate, coffee, bourbon, booziness. More bourbon than I care for, more chocolate than I require, and the coffee was OK. Black, small head, a ring of lace. Lots of coconut flavour, not unpleasant. All of the above are liked more by others. Some vanilla, it is very rich and smooth, I am highly preferential to Kate TG and even other imperial stouts in the ratings race.Thanks Tom for hooking me up with a 2010.

4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottle courtesy of RoyMunson.

Pours a very dark brown, damn near black in color. A nice mocha colored head on the pour. Looks very inviting.
Smell is dark molasses, some tobacco, and a little bit of alcohol in the nose. Smell is good.
Taste is incredibly smooth and creamy. Did I say creamy, this beer is absolutely ridonculous.
Plenty of roasted molasses, with a very nice dark chocolate flavor, milk shake material.
Plenty of hotness and alcohol coming through in the flavor. This is a good beer, but I doubt it's worth what people are giving up. I would take Vanilla Bean Dark Lord over this beer easily.

4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

DVelcich invited a few BAs over to share the bottle he acquired. (Did it cost him a growler of Captain Krunkles? I don't know, but he is a generous souls for allowing a few of us a chance to try it).

I did get a chance to sample this one at Dark Lord Day, but I never got to review it.

I poured this into my Duvel tulip--

It isn't as dark or viscous as I was expecting it to be. It is a very deep brown in color, not black at all, but it has very large bubbles of a tan head that disapaited ather quickly and settled into a little whispy cloud of a thin cap of bubbles... But the bubbles are enormous in size. I did give this a rather vigarous pour to get some kind of head, and I've been swirling it every now and then to see the legs and release some volatiles.

I first smell a really big boozy/whiskey presence. It just has to be the alcohol level-- which is noticable in the beer, but it isn't kicking your ass, it's actually very nice the way the alcohol bite melds in with the choclate and vanilla notes that I'm getting out of this one. A whole bunch of intense dark flavors with a lot of english toffee and even some coffee. Very nice nose, and very delicious. Swirling it around my mouth really opens up that alcohol warming sensation that is working quite well with this brew. On the taste you do get some coffee and some chocolate with a little vanilla and toffee in there as well.

Very nice taste, and surprisingly well-balanced for being as strong as it is. The 8 ozs I had is more than sufficient in terms of how much I would want to drink of this beer. I would honestly have no interest in trying to take down a whole bottle of this beer, but I mean that not as put-down of the beer, but rather a sad comment on the realization that I am in fact a wuss. (At least on this particular day-- where this was opened up 9/10s of the way through a pretty big and bold tasting party).

I do feel lucky to be given another chance to try this beer again, so big props to Dan for inviting me over!

On the mouthfeel, you really get that this a full thick stout, and that it actually is thicker than it looks. It looks thinner than it feels.

As this warms, I am getting even more of that roasted malty goodness.

Overall-- I'm going to say that this is a great beer-- but as far as all the hype-- I think that the ABV is the real reason this has become a bit of a whale. They do a great job creating a flavor profile around the huge ABV, as opposed to trying to cover it up. It is worth trying, and I'd like to see all of the hoarders give up a few bottles here and there to guys willing to let others in on a tasting.

4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

Thanks goes out to ___ for providing the bottle, went into some small snifters and split with friends. Review 475.

Midnight sky black with some dark muddy spots towards the edges. The beer pours thick and oil like and just looks like some gooey syrup. You may want to put some plastic down on your couch before enjoying this near 20%er, things could get tricky. Not really any head, save for a few small patches of brown bubbles. Nothing in terms of lace but there is a brown dirty film that remains on the glass.

Smells like sweet heaven. Black Tuesday has a bold nose, and it reaches far from the glass. An equal amount of roasted malt and chocolate attack the senses, opening my eyes. A nice vanilla base and minimal coffee. The bourbon is huge and makes me smile. BT smells like a souped up Bourbon County Stout mixed with a small bit of World Wide Stout, but with even more malt sweetness. Some molasses and licorice. The alcohol is masked very well but it's not 100% out of the way.

Tuesday is big, It's huge in fact. The two main tastes is dark rich chocolate and roasted malts working in unison together. Under that is more malt giving off more sweetness plus caramel. Expensive bourbon makes a move next and leaves my mouth a bit hot and boozy, but im loving it. The bourbon shines with temp. changes. Some oak from the barrel. Surprised not to get a lot of coffee out of BT, it's very minimal. For a beer this size I was expecting some soy sauce, and i got some but just a touch, phew. Molasses and more malt in the finish, this stuff is big.

The alcohol is masked well but I can still tell it's there easily with a slight hotness, it's small and not in the way. BT is thick and viscous, chewy and RAW. Kind of goes down like a light syrup while taking small sips. This has a certain slickness going down leaving all the ingredients on the tounge, and then finishing with some hot booze. The bourbon seems to be sticking around the longest.

Slowly and surely I will make it through this darkness. BT demands some time and patience and a plate of assorted chocolates to heighten the experience. Spread the love and share with a friend or two or you may not make it into work the next morning. For the amount of alcohol and sweetness this beer is very approachable. I believe that while aging this may do something to the taste and heat, it wont exactly benefit greatly as it's huge and great right now

Black Tuesday actually reminded me of some of those big foreign stouts including some Mikeller stuff, Dark Horizon and the like, only with the American twist of doing it even bigger.

2009 edition

Super inky black color (as expected). Thick & with viscous lacing left around the glass. Thin layer of tan head.

Aroma is almost pure bourbon - it comes through so strongly that you really can't pick up much of anything else (possibly some hints of vanilla).

Flavor is a bit better with the maltiness fighting its way through the bourbon a bit more than in the nose. The sweetness makes itself known as well. Not bad by any means - I just prefer a bit more complexity.

Mouthfeel is great - the thick feel of this one really works well for this beer.

The finish is (not surprisingly) very strong and boozy - can't imagine I'd be able to put way too much of this stuff - its a big bold bourbon bomb of a beer so if you like that sort of thing you will LOVE this.

Recommended, but maybe a bit underwhelming - just not as complex as I'd hoped for - maybe with more time the bourbon would chill out a bit and mingle in with the other flavors but for me that overly bourbony aspect detracted from my overall enjoyment of the beer.

4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

2011 bottle courtesy of forgetfu at our crazy Antwerp tasting. Thanks Bill and everyone else for an amazing night that will long have a special place in my heart and liver. Sampled next to a 2012 Chocolate Rain, in a 50-50 blend of the two and even mixed with a lambic (which was dead gorgeous). Yeah, that's how crazy things got.

A: Pours a very dark chestnut brown going into black. A half-finger head disappates almost immediately, so the high alcohol is definitely noticable in the pour.

S: Not the aroma explosion I expected it to be, but that might be a good thing. Molasses, bourbon, brown sugar, dark and milk chocolate and notes of dark roasted malt. Subtle but enticing.

T: And that's where any subtle qualities in this beer are stopped dead in their tracks. The first thing that hits you is sweet bourbon, molasses, Japanese soy sauce and dried biscuits. Very little in the way of roasted malts, but enough to keep it from being clawingly sweet. The booze is very prominent throughout the whole experience, not only in the finish where I'd like it to be in my big stouts. It's very clear this beast could still do with some aging and won't be at its prime until at least another two years, which I guess is why people are raving about the 2009 bottling right now. As it stands, this is just too hot.

M: Very low carbonation that is only just enough to pull it out of the realm of syrup and remind you that you're drinking a beer. Creamy and smooth. I do think this beer would benefit from being a little thicker, but I doubt that was the effect they were going for with the amount of alcohol in it.

O: "Diabeetus in a bottle" is how I've seen a lot of BA's refer to it, and I see why. The penultimate sharing beer, as it constantly balances on the fine line between a barrel aged big stout and alcoholic syrup. If you have a similar palate to me and like your coffee and dark chocolate as well as your sweetness, you'd most likely go for a Bourbon Barrel Aged Plead the 5th. Though I must say that Black Tuesday is A LOT more balanced than say a Dark Lord, I feel sad to say I won't be counting it amongst the best stouts I've ever had. At least not in its 2011 form. Maybe a bit of age will work wonders on this beast. That 2009 bottle in my cellar is looking mighty tempting now...

4.06/5  rDev -10.6%

4.06/5  rDev -10.6%

4.07/5  rDev -10.4%

After having multiple times I guess it is time to put this one in the books. Thanks to corby112 for the most recent sharing of this one in the form of a 2009 vintage bottle.

A-Deep, dark, brutally black. Highlight? What's a highlight? A thin reddish tinged head quickly dissipates to a wisp of retention and leaves no lace whatsoever. Foam does reform with a bit of invigoration.

S-Fat dose of bourbon goodness up front with dry oak and sweet vanilla taking the center stage. Dark roasted malt, dark chocolate, eel sauce and dark cherries struggle to rise up out of the alcohol heat ooze.

T-Massive bourbon laden roasted malt, dark chocolate and dark fruit batter the palate with a non stop barrage of alcohol soak flavours. Massively complex with just so much going on it becomes hard to concentrate.

M-Medium-heavy to almost chewy bodied with a strong alcohol burn and LONG lingering flavours.

D-For 18+% it is surely more drinkable than expected but it becomes tedious and uninteresting after awhile. I don't think I could ever drink an entire 750 ml bottle on my own without some money on the line. Good? Sure! Life altering, no!

4.07/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours far from what I was expecting. Instead of a pitch black, viscous beer, it pours lighter than I expected. The body looks almost oily. Dark brown and somewhat thin looking but somehow very oily looking as well. Didn't get much head.

S-A giant whiff of boozy bourbon and all sorts of dark, concentrated maltiness. Loads of fudge and brownie. Some dark fruit and more spicy bourbon and even some vanilla.

T-I really have to applaud this beer for its exceptional integration of alcohol. I was expecting a tongue-sizzling wave of booze but it's surprisingly not nearly as aggressive. The bourbon notes are as powerful as in the nose. The fudge and brownie and other chocolate descriptors all flow across the tongue. Light soy sauce. Vanilla attributed to the bourbon. A big dose of dark fruit as well.

M-Oily, like it looks. Obviously hot. Should be far less drinkable. It's intoxicating in more ways than one. It really wraps you in and begs for more sipping. Super sweet and sticky.

O/D-Lucky to try this one. I enjoyed it but was far less enamored than most. I appreciate Black Tuesday's epic delivery but would not consider it to be anyway near one of the best beers I have had.

4.07/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. 2010 bottle, from notes.

Appearance: In my tulip, Black Tuesday lives up to its name, being black all the way through with just a slightly lighter edge if I tilt the glass to make it thin enough.

Smell: Lots of gooey dark chocolate and fusel alcohol, with a little coffee and a fair amount of dark roasted malt to back it up.

Taste: Each sip starts out very sweet and feels boozy going down. Molasses, dark chocolate, some vanilla, and brown sugar add further sweetness to caramel and roasted malt flavors.

Mouthfeel: This has a very full body with medium carbonation. Although, I wonder if it would be possible for a beer with this thick of a body to have any more carbonation or whether the body would simply crush it. There is definitely a full burn going down, which is slightly unpleasant because it feels unnatural. There is no bourbon or other flavor that accompanies it, it is just there for its own sake.

Overall: This was a good beer and I think the Bruery executed what they wanted out of this beer, but I think it is just too over the top for me.

2011 Vintage (18.3% ABV)

A: Dark as night with a medium brown head: think caramel or toasted almond. About two fingers that quickly receded to a ring of film that rested around the walls of the glass.

S: Initially the nose is dominated by bourbon (really pleasant vanilla notes) and a considerable amount of heat; there is a decent amount of oak that lingers in the background.

T: Big bourbon notes upfront, which are followed by a considerable amount of bitter dark chocolate/caramel sweetness; a bit of dark fruit is showcased out the back (raisins/figs/sweet plum).

M: light carbonation with a syrupy consistency.

O: "Its too much of a heavy muffin." However, there are really interesting flavors being showcased in both the taste and aroma. If the beer was toned down a notch in the alcohol department, it would really allow all of the other aspects to shine at their full potential. One last note: as the beer began to warm, the sweetness increased exponentially.

*Anything in "quotes" was said by my girlfriend.

4.08/5  rDev -10.1%

Much thanks to Adam for busting this out at our tasting.

Pours a jet black with almost no head, not surprising, looks intimidating, all the rumors must be true....

Aroma is some vanilla and oak, a pretty good bit of gooze on the nose. Roast malt comes through in a big way. Pretty hot and equally as intimidating as the appearance.

Taste is big and intense, very hot. Vanilla is evident, along with a big roast character. It's surprisingly sweet, from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel is extremely thick and it really coats the mouth and lingers long after the sip. I think this one will age well but its kind of hot and intense now. Without the hype, I doubt it would get such high numbers.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery