Black Tuesday | The Bruery

4.54/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,908 |  Reviews: 700
3.28/5  rDev -27.8%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$.

3.3/5  rDev -27.3%

I honestly cannot get past how sweet this is. The flavor profile is excellent, but holy hell. Sugar bomb and a half. I understand that its supposed to be big, but its gross

3.32/5  rDev -26.9%

I've been looking forward to trying this beer since it's been so hard to get. These California traders really have this beer nailed down. I couldn't get any of this beer in a trade, so I bought my bottle from the website that BA won't let me mention here.

Appearance: Really dark chocolate-like but the opacity dissipates into a brown hue if you angle the glass and look through the light making me think it's more of a porter than a stout.

Putting my nose down to the rim of my snifter glass, the bourbon is too pronounced which overpowers the chewiness, fruitiness, and chocolate smell. It smells sweet like cherries and dark fruits but I can smell the alcohol coming through.

This taste like bourbon soaked chocolate covered cherries, raisins, figs, bready, lots of flavor but the mouthfeel is thin which the appearance hinted at. Something about this beer reminds me of an aged World Wide Stout with bourbon-added but not integrated well.

I honestly didn't finish my bottle. Two glasses was enough for me. I'm glad I had friends that I was able to share this bottle with. Because of that, I consider it's drinkability to be low. This would be better as a sipper for an after dinner drink like how ports and liqeuers are served with dessert or by the fireplace.

All in all, there's some complexity here to make it one of the higher-rated beers but don't be fooled by the hype, which sadly may be its downfall. If you get a chance to try this beer, I suggest you ignore the hype and approach it without expectations for what it is.

3.33/5  rDev -26.7%

Thanks to Jeff and Erik for sharing this one during the BA tasting in Utrecht. Had this one (2011 vintage) side-to-side with the Black Damnation 5 double black
Look: the beer pours a dark black color with a very small beige-brown head.
Smell: Sweet dark malts, chocolate and bourbon.
Taste: Sharp and very sweet. Brown sugar mixed with bourbon and malts. The beer has a quite alcoholic burn. Way too boozy.
Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation, full bodied.
Overall: Way too boozy. It was funny to have this one next to the 24% abv BD5 in which the alcohol is much more hidden. The opinions about this beer head-2-head with the BD5 differed at the end of the evening, but the majority preferred the BD5 over this one. For me it was not even a fair contest. Overrated and K.O. first round against the BD5!

3.37/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -25.6%

Thanks to Greg for the sample at johns. Much appreciated! Pours pitch black with a small tan head. Aroma is up front raisin, vanilla, figs, plums, and brown sugar. Lots of dark fruit along with chocolate are sitting in the background, and the alcohol is really prominent after a good amount of sniffing and swirling. The flavor, unfortunately, is a bit of a mess.

Up front this beer has a great bourbon/vanilla flavor, and quite a bit of chocolatey goodness. Molasses and toffee round out the good parts. Very rich. It all falls apart when the cloying sweetness hits you. All of the great notes of the beer get dominated by the under-attenuation, think amaretto sweetness and you are getting close. After a few sips I'm just overwhelmed. Not enough is going on to offset the cloying aspects of this beer; it doesn't try to hide it one bit. It also had a bit of over roasted coffee thrown in that I didn't pick up at all in the nose. I had a rough time getting through my pour and I think if I would have finished it my score would be lower. If ever a beer demanded to be drank in 4oz portions for maximum enjoyment, I'd say this is the one.

The finish is very viscous, almost exactly what you would expect it to be. Carbonation is very soft and works really well. It does have a decent bit of peppery alcohol bite, think tequilla. Being a big spirit drinker I'd certainly question the 19.5% claim on this one though, I'd peg it more in the 15-16% range. If they hit ~20, I'd be impressed with the lack of alcohol presence.

Overall this is a very nice imperial stout and I look forward to trying it again. I could see myself drinking this one in place of a nice port after a meal or when I have a craving for sweets.

3.41/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Based on 2016 vintage. This makes me sad. It's a shame what's been done to this world class beer. Every year, it gets thinner and more unbalanced. It's honestly not even a stout anymore. It's thin, way too boozy, and is sort of unpleasant to drink. Bring back 2012.

3.43/5  rDev -24.4%

Sometimes a review kills a movie. In fact, often it is hard for a movie ever to live up the incredible hype critics bath it in. I am sure, in these instances - we walk out with a down feeling on what was actually a pretty good movie - but we were expecting Raging Bull, and got it didn't deliver.

Anyway, that aside - we opened the bottle with a certain level of excitement - a definite pop in your step if you will. But something didn't feel right for me, it didn't seem like an authentic "holy shit" moment - as when I opened my first Westy years ago or just a couple months ago having the FW vertical.

All that doesn't matter - what matters is the beer. Once I butchered the hell out of the wax cap and caused an absolute scene - the incredibly thick and heavy liquid was poured into our respective glasses. A great looking beer for sure: just scary dark, with a really pretty head about a centimeter or so thick with a plum/purplish head. Lacing, check. Lots of lacking and a even as we all sat there for an uncomfortable amount of time not knowing what to do - the smell was mushroom tattooing me on the forehead.

Sweet Sweet chocolate with an incredible amount of - well, booze. A wide array of things happening in this one: vanilla, dark sugar plums, brown sugar, tobacco, raisins, licorice, and of course malts. But then, as we are sitting around listening to bleach something happens - the complexity becomes dwarfed by a smell of booze, and not even good booze... almost rubbing alcohol. It becomes a bit off putting and I am not sure how to fairly rate a beer that begins with me saying "this is f'n great" to ehh... "what the hell happened here". I don't want to discount how good it smells, just that it needs time I suppose.

The taste followed the same trend. It began with a very nice and complex flavor, like a cup really good hot chocolate, you get some of the oak, lots of the vanilla and coffee flavors come through. But then it is almost as if the person who made your hot coffee decided to add more mix, to much mix - creating an uber-sweet concoction that became incredibly hard to drink.

The mouth feel was heavy, lush and sticky. The more it warmed up, the stickiness turned from a nice coat over around the tongue to what felt like a bit of Emerson's glue being swirled around.

And I understand the this has to be rated to style, but part of what makes an Imperial Stout so great is when it is drinkable. 2/3rds of us couldn't finish our glass. It was to sweet, to sticky, and to boozy. It was a really different experience... going from what started as an amazing experience to 20 minutes later being on the complete other end of the spectrum. Good beer for sure, by no means my favorite from the Bruery or from the style. Glad I was able to try it

3.43/5  rDev -24.4%

Big thanks to khiasmus for the opportunity to try this one. With it being held for such high ransom on the trading forum, I was worried I might not have a shot at this one.

Inpenetrable black pour. There's more light brown foam than I would have imagined, which retains well. Not a whole lot of lacing left on the glass, which doesn't surprise me.

The aroma is really, really sweet. Like your standard stout, with a couple of shots of bourbon and a packet of Nestle Quik dumped in. Or maybe if you poured Hershey's syrup into some spiked black coffee. Either way, you get the picture. It's an amped up imperial stout.

The flavor is...well, big. Lots of dark chocolate, molasses, vanilla, and bourbon. Again, it's what you expect from a monster barrel-aged imperial stout.

Unfortunately, there is a harsh boozy finish. I read so many reviews prior to drinking this beer that said how it tasted nothing like 19.5% and how well the alcohol was masked...this beer was hotter than the Dogfish Head Fort we had earlier.

Big, big body. Sticky texture. Obviously, not a very easy drinker. Definitely glad to try it, but it's not worth $30 to me, and it's certainly not worth trading away way more than it's worth.

3.43/5  rDev -24.4%

The infamous Black Tuesday...shared with a few friends...

The bottle pours a richly deep black liquid with a small brownish head. The edges look almost purple.
Aroma starts out nice...rich chocolate, dark fruits, molasses and vanilla. But as this beer warms it starts to head a bit down hill. Overly sweet chocolate and a ton of booze...almost rubbing alcohol like.
Taste is similar to the aroma...lots of rich chocolate, dark fruit, some oak and vanilla. But again as it warms it becomes way too boozy and way to sweet, like drinking chocolate syrup right from the bottle. The booze is also very overpowering at this point.
Mouthfeel is super sticky, overly sweet and very viscous.
I have to say drink ability is not great, but its not horrible. All the sweetness and booze that appears as this warms really kills the drink ability. I find it really hard to believe a lot of these ratings that are giving drink ability such a high score, these people mush be missing a palate and taste buds...Patrick is a great brewer and i applaud the effort, but its a little much...

3.46/5  rDev -23.8%

Thanks to hooliganlife for bringing this to a great tasting.

Ok, let's get down to it.
Poured the most amazing stout I've ever seen, just pitch black goodness. Slight off white creamy head that dissolved quite quickly. Kinda disappointing but I'm sure that's the ABV. Smelled of dark German chocolate cake, deep doses of roasted barley, coffee, bourbon, charcoal, wood, and lots and lots of booze. Taste was really disappointing. I was expecting this beer to make me weak in the knees, instead I got a wonderfully flavored imperial stout overpowered with booze. I know for a beer of this strength you would expect some booze, but I think that the key to any good beer is balance and this beer doesn't have it. What flavors I could pick out were good - chocolate cake, sugary syrupy molasses, oak vanilla, and coffee. Mouthfeel was great for this monstrous beer, I had to scrape the sugar coating off my tongue when I was done. As far as the drinkability, My 3oz pour was plenty, in fact maybe a little too much.

Did this live up to the hype for me? No, not really. I'm glad I got to try it and if I came across the opportunity to trade or buy a bottle for a reasonable price I would, because I'd like to age this and see if a year or two can mellow this out. If the booziness can tone down a little, this beer would be out of this world.

3.46/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Rich, dark, pour, incredibly thick. Completely coats the glass, and nice head as well.

Smell: Boozy notes of prunes, plums, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, and chocolate. Not as much bourbon as I had hoped for although the alcohol is very hot. Definitely thick, but not particularly appitizing. Too sweet.

Taste: The 09 did a good job of hiding the alcohol but in the 2010 the booze smacks you in the face like a freight train. Big booze, plums, prunes, brown sugar, vanilla, tobacco, oak, coffee, chocolate, lots and lots of malt. Biggest negative is that it is way too sweet, which, combined with the over-present vanilla, booze heat, and alcohol thinness, detracts greatly.

Mouthfeel: Thick, but not silk/satin smooth. The 09 was decent but the alcohol in the 10 made it feel too hot and runny.

Drinkability: Hard call here, not drinkable in the sense that you normally think, as in it goes down easy, but it is "drinkable" for a 19.5% beer. However, I am going to go with general drinkability, as "highly drinkable for a 19.5%" beer sounds similar to "particularly tasty meal as far as rusty nails go."

Overall a good brew, but not a stand-out for the style. Certainly the "biggest" but that does not mean "best" as well, at least in my book. A good exercise in over-loading each part of the brewing process with malt and then tossing it in a barrel, but nothing I would need to try again - similar to seeing the bearded lady, etc. I've had the 09 and 2010, the 10 was much hotter and the alcohol made it feel thin.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery