Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2016: 20.3% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Ratings: 3,877 |  Reviews: 693
4.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours motor oil black with a thin mocha tan head that dissipates quickly leaving a flimsy thin layer head throughout. High alcohol heat and bourbon aroma are detected along with some burnt caramel and licorice, oak, vanilla, molasses which is exactly what the flavor suggests as well. As the session continues, the special-release brew offers a smooth and silky finish. Sticky medium-body with soft carbonation. A very nice and memorable high ABV Russian Imperial Stout. This was the first big beer of 2012 for me and glad I started the new year with a bang!

4.65/5  rDev +4%

3.83/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2015 version

Poured into a snifter. It is a little less viscous looking than a lot of the other Bruery beers. It is an glossy jet black with a dark brown head that settles quickly into the beer.

It smells phenomenal. Lots of rich aromas of coconut, vanilla, marshmallow, bourbon, charred oak, chocolate, barley, and raisins/dates. Alcohol is noticeable, but nothing unexpected at 20%.

All of that gets pretty much squashed by a ton of alcohol in the flavor. It is borderline undrinkable cold. As it warms, you can start to get some charred oak, Rice Krispy treat like marshmallow sweetness, coconut, licorice, and rich milk chocolate, but it is still overshadowed by a boozy burn. It is very rich overall, and reminds me of a Bourbon County beer with the distinct aroma and flavor. Not as heavy of a body though. Between my brother and I, we struggled to drink half a bottle. For what it's worth, I don't think World Wide Stout is nearly as hot and I drink bourbon neat, so I feel like I am a pretty objective opinion.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.56/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for opening this bottle last weekend!

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Deschutes tulip glass. Obviously, this is the 20 malts version.

A: This is the best feature of this beer. Lively, flowy, gracious head! For such a high ABV, this is impressive (compared to the likes of BCS, BA BORIS, etc.). Bubbles tantalize your eyes as they sit atop the beer.

S: Bourbon, vanilla, oak, maple, wood, and black cherries. Honestly, I also got hints of a mulled wine aroma too.

T: Sweet, sweet, sweet molasses. Just kidding. This is the sweetest/sugariest beer I have ever had though (thank you 20 malts!). Bourbon in the background and leaves a pleasant vanilla taste as it goes down.

M: This is the best feature of this beer. Like an emulsion and warming against the inside of the mouth when swished around. Haagen Daaz milkshake anyone?

D: This is the best feature of this beer. For 19.5% ABV, this stuff goes down real easy. We split this bottle 4 ways and had no problem finishing our glasses within an hour or two (of course because you want to savor it!).

Did you notice I wrote "This is the best feature of this beer" too many times? Yeah, that's because this beer is awesome! Very appreciative for getting to try this.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Sampled at GABF on 9/18/2010. This Imperial Stout pours a deep black color from the tap. Medium sized tan foamy head. The aroma is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, vanilla and woody with some alcohol. A full bodied Imperial Stout. A VERY BIG Imperial Stout. The malts are chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, some bourbon and some cherry. The hops are herbal. This beer has a big alcohol presence, I mean a whole lot of alcohol, the first sip and smell are dominated by the alcohol, after that the other flavors start coming through. There is a nice mix of malts, sweetness, vanilla and wood going on here, once you get past the big alcohol blast. This beer has an awesome potential for aging. It is very good now, but a couple or five years of bottle aging would make this beer even more amazing. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%

2.68/5  rDev -40%

2009 Vintage.

Am I supposed to eat this, or drink this? Does this stuff go into my car? Is it safe to consume? This thing is pitch black with no head unless I give it swirl, and the beer coats the glass a little bit like wine instead of leaving actual lacing.

What the hell? The same questions I asked before come to mind when I smell this. Fire, chocolate and whiskey. Strange combo.

My nose is on fire. Maybe it's my throat. I can't tell, but it's hot. I can feel all of my nose hairs. They burn. If you could see my face, it would say "grimace." I'm pretty sure this wasn't meant for me to drink, but I can't seem to chew it either. What is it? I taste wood, whiskey, chocolate, molasses, dark fruits and loads of dark malt, but mostly I just taste alcohol. Burning, nose-hair-melting, fusel fire.

Mouthfeel: Chewing on a mildly spicy pepper?

This thing is unique and complex, but it's also a sticky, jumbled mess. I don't want to try this one again.

3.06/5  rDev -31.5%

The alcohol smell when poured into a reserve society snifter is so potent that it made me cough. It's difficult to pull anything beyond bourbon/alcohol from the nose. The color is jet black and viscous. The body is not thick enough to carry this much booze. More of an after dinner drink than a beer. No carb to speak of. There's a hint of roasted malt trying to poke through the bourbon character. This "beer" is a hot mess when compared to other high end bourbon aged stouts.

Well, had a chance to sample one of my precious few remaining bottles of this. It's made its way from tap to bottle spectacularly. I really don't have too much to change about my review (I invariably only review a beer once, regardless of how many serving variations I have, but I'll make an exception this one time). I'll put in all caps the differences.

Pours a dark black, with a surprisingly robust bubbling brown head. IF ANYTHING, IT MIGHT BE MORE CARBONATED IN THE BOTTLED VERSION, AS I REMEMBER THE HEAD DYING DOWN FASTER FOR THE ON-TAP VERSION. YAY FORCED CARBONATION.

Smells like molasses, brown sugar, heavenly bourbon (these guys have the f****g best bourbon barrels), vanilla, and a bit of spicy ... nuttiness? Caramel? Insane. Tons of roasted chocolate and malt.

Taste delivers on the promise of the smell. Just wondrous. More bourbon, more roasted bitter chocolate malt with an undercurrent of sweet milk chocolate, a crazy pecan/woody/earthy nutty aftertaste, that "vanilla in the raw" flavor, and layered brown sugar/molasses. Hints of oak/wood. This is absolutely great. IT'S BEEN IN THE BARREL A BIT LONGER, AND MAY BE A BIT STRONGER IN THE BOURBON AND VANILLA.

For what it is, the drinkability is dangerous and insane. Sticky, chewy, and thick. Rivals Dark Lord, Darkness, PtY, and World Wide Stout for thickest, chewiest beer I've ever tried.

One of a handful of beers I could legitimately call the best I've ever had. I will treasure this "twenty malt" version.

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

2011

Thought this would be a little more dense and deeper in viscosity but upon pouring things looked this with a faint tan head that fades quickly into a skim topper. Big alcohol i suppose.

Aromas of dark chocolate, burnt caramel, toasted make, light vanilla, black fruits, the soy sauce thing I very rarely get and hate to use as a descriptor but I will here. Black currant, leather, and more rustic earthy aromas.

Wow absolutely amazing complex delicious flavors. Big alcohol burn in the chest and could take some time to open up but just delicious. Sweet melted chocolate fudge, milk chocolate, oak, coconut, toasted vanilla, blackberry, cherry, heavy cream, coffee, milk, leather and asphalt. Mouth is medium but matches what the ABV throws out. Delicious.

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

sampled april 10/2010 as part of our giant bruery tasting. Viggo and ritzkiss provided the brews, so thanks to eric and eric!

750ml bottle topped with black wax.

pours crystal clear deep dark brown but not quite black or opaque. a thin ring of red can be seen as the light passes through around the edges. a thin layer of very fine brown head forms, dropping fairly fast and leaving spotty lace behind.

aromas is great. alcohol. dark and milk chocolate. coffee and espresso. some dark fruit - date and raisin mostly. bourbon and oak. white bread and cracker. biscuit. earthy. bit of smoke.

taste is great. big warming alcohol. dark, milk, and bittersweet chocolate. coffee and espresso. sweet caramel and toffee. raisin, date, and fig. bit of spice from the barrel - cinnamon and coconut. multi-grain bread and biscuit. light roast. big and complex. there's a bit of port-like character in there too. vanilla. bourbon. raw oak.

mouthfeel is excellent. huge chewy body. nice low carbonation level. silky smooth.

drinkability is great. excellent balance, especially impressive for a beer of this size. great balance with the barrel. tons of depth. a great beer.

3.25/5  rDev -27.3%