Black Tuesday | The Bruery

2015: 19.9% ABV

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Reviews: 661 | Ratings: 3,711
4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Finally getting around to rating this one; shared with a group at a recent tasting.

A--Very black; no reading the newspaper through this one! A little bit of a head with minimal lacing.

S--Chocolate and bourbon.

T--Bourbon, chocolate, and oak. WONDERFUL taste.

M--Thick with just the right amount of carbonation.

D--I say it's great, though most would disagree due to the high alcohol content. I counter that by saying just share it with someone or sip on this one for an hour or more while watching a good movie, game, etc. GREAT beer.

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to Dreadnaught33 for procuring this bottle from a friend and allowing some of us to try it! I got a generous 4-5 oz. pour off the bat into a Bruery snifter.

A: Pours very black fluid (this beer isn't unbelievably black, it's just mostly black) with slight mahogany brown highlights around the edges. A light tan cap appears briefly but dissipates quickly to a thin ring. Handsome presentation indeed!

S: The smell is very powerful and forced me to bellow in delight as I took a whiff! Big bourbon notes coupled with vanilla and oak woodiness support a malt aroma of dark caramel and chocolate. I am getting very little, if any, roastiness from this. It is mostly a sweeter style. There is a slight unexpected tinge of teriyaki as we discussed at the table.

T: Molasses, Grade C maple syrup, chocolate malts all come to mind in this big flavored beer. The bourbon is present but not intrusive. Vanilla and Oak notes compliment the flavor nicely. Again, no roastiness available which is somewhat disappointing to me. The teriyaki is also somewhat of a distraction. Medium alcohol heat is present in the finish.

M: Full bodied beer representative of the style with a slightly slick mouthfeel. It is probably very dextrinous. Medium sweet finish.

D: For most part the beer is fairly drinkable at 18+% ABV. Pleasant flavors abound however, the beer is fairly sweet, not quite cloying, but getting there. The alcohol in the finish is also somewhat of a turn off.

This is a great beer, but I think it is over-hyped. It would probably be in my top-10 of stouts, but not top 5.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

After standing more than four hours in line in order to acquire this treasure, with limited fund, I purchased a lone bottle. A month later, with the combination of the occurrence of Thanksgiving, I finally decided to crack open this much-talked-about monster.

Pour into a tulip class, the color was as opaque with a healthy dose of head, even with its high. Smell of powerful bourbon and coffee as soon as the cap dropped.

There wasn't any alcohol burn in my stomach as the I swallowed my first sip. It was a bit sweeter than I've considered ideal, nevertheless it was extremely drinkable given that this brew is near 20% abv.

Easy to go down, but rather hard for me to finish the whole bottle in a timely manner. I opened it on the wee hour of Thanksgiving and continued to sip away the next morning.

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

2011 Vintage poured into a Founders tulip

A: Blacker than a voodoo midnight with a light tan head that fell quickly away.

S: Nice sweet bourbon and strong port-like notes. Chocolate syrup moves in there, too.

T: This is a very sweet beverage. I find lots of chocolate brownies or syrup, a touch of soy here and there, and slight caramel notes. The bourbon is kind of hard to find amidst everything else that is going on. The heat is pretty high at this point and finishes into strong notes of port.

M: The mouthfeel was touch disappointing, but with the high alcohol I should not be surprised. There is a lingering sweetness that transcends taste and is strongly reminiscent of port.

O: I am happy to try this one, but I don't really want more than a 6 oz serving. I think that this is fine piece of work, however it is not really my bag.

4.86/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I would have liked a little more head to this one, but I cannot really complain for something 19+ to tasty this amazing. so rich, smooth, and easy to drink. Just WOW

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Small amount had at the recent BA tasting in Portland. Someone earlier described this beer as liquid chocolate cake and I think that was my experience as well. There was almost no alcohol present in the nose, and exceptionally well hidden in the beer, where I also became another one of the people wondering how that happens at 19%. Everything else I have ever had in that range had an alcohol burn even after a few years of aging, but this didn't at all. The taste REALLY fills every corner of the mouth with a chewy sticky sweetness that is balanced by enough barrel flavors to keep it more than pleasant. The mouthfeel was the most memorable component of the beer for me.

No way could anyone really enjoy a full bottle of this alone, so how about crowing Black Tuesday the best beer of all time in a new "dinner party dessert beer" category?

4.29/5  rDev -4%

Had on tap at The Bruery.
It's an Imperial Stout and 19.5%! It poured pitch black, hence the name, and smelled of: vanilla, dark chocolate, malt and bourbon. It tasted like molasses, brown sugar, chocolate malt, prunes, raisins, espresso, slight anise and an oaky bourbon finish, which actually wasn't that strong of an alcohol burn considering it's 19.5%! All in all, it was delicious.

3.68/5  rDev -17.7%

Had on tap at the release party Nov 27.

Poured a nice jet black with small tan head. A swirl of the glass left a thick residue on the side. Awesome.

Smelled of bourbon and dark fruit. I am almost able to get drunk off inhaling this stuff , its so hot..

One sip and you realize this isnt an ordinary beer. There is plenty of stout style flavors in this ; Coffee, chocolate, bourbon, a bit of a grainy flavor as well, like a chewy nutty taste. However the alc% just bites right through all of it at times when i wish it hadn't. The flavors are just too big all around at this time, an d i wonder how this will age.

Mouthfeel is just about right, as is isnt too thick like bourbon county.

One 4 oz taster and i was feelin pretty buzzed, i couldnt drink a whole bottle alone, or even 2 people probably. It's like drinking liquor with alot more flavor than usual.

Overall I am glad i didnt spend 30$ on a bottle because this to me isn't as good as say The Abyss, and thats 12$.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Served from a .750 into a snifter. Part of the fellow BA CosmicEvan Tasting session.

Appears like night fudge. Little to know head.

Smells like gasoline, lightning, and blackouts. Holy moly
that's a high abv!

Tastes like deep anise and prunes and fig.

Mouthfeel is very heavy duty. It almost has a port like exit.

Overall an amazing beer. I really enjoyed this and would love to have it again.

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

750mL bottle 2010 batch, poured into snifter reviewed on 8/27/11

A: Pours a dark brown, not black as the name seems to imply with no head or lacing left around glass, which is to be expected for a beer this big.

S: Lots of alcohol which is hard to get past. Hints of toffee, chocolate and bourbon are detectable behind all of the alcohol.

T: Lots of roasted malt with toffee and chocolate notes with oak, vanilla and some coconut from the bourbon barrels. Lots of alcohol.

M: Very full body, low to moderate carbonation and finishes very sweet.

O: Very unique brew, too much alcohol in the nose takes away from the experience but tastes quite good, especially as it warms up. Nice warming after each sip..

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

Much thanks to Adam for busting this out at our tasting.

Pours a jet black with almost no head, not surprising, looks intimidating, all the rumors must be true....

Aroma is some vanilla and oak, a pretty good bit of gooze on the nose. Roast malt comes through in a big way. Pretty hot and equally as intimidating as the appearance.

Taste is big and intense, very hot. Vanilla is evident, along with a big roast character. It's surprisingly sweet, from beginning to end.

Mouthfeel is extremely thick and it really coats the mouth and lingers long after the sip. I think this one will age well but its kind of hot and intense now. Without the hype, I doubt it would get such high numbers.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to Kaiser81 for opening this at the recent tasting he hosted on 2/27. This was the first beer opened among many opened that night, so the notes and palate were fresh.

Poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter glass

A - Thick, pitch black, syrupy with a small layer of mocha bubbles. Lacing doesn't stick to the glass. Just by looking at it, you know it's going to be big and heavy.

S - Chocolate and bourbon dominate. And the chocolate is extensive...there's some cocoa powder, milk, and lots of dark chocolate. It's very rich, like liquid fudge and bourbon mixed. There is just a little bit of an alcohol smell on the back end. I think I served it too cold, as I've had a lot of other smells other times when it was a bit warmer.

T - Wow!! Bourbon notes mixed with dark chocolates, like truffles. There is just a bit of booze after it warms up, and maple comes out as well. Deliciousness! Still makes my knees weak every time I taste it.

M - heavy body mixed with carbonation. I don't think you can expect much more from a beer like this.

D - How is 18.5% mixed into a beer this good and drinkable? It's truly amazing, and I wish I could drink this all the time.

This is the third time I've had it, and it still is just as awesome as if I had waited 4 hours in line to get my bottle allotment.

4.74/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Much thinner and a lot more carbonation than expected. Bourbon soaked raisans, although it does not taste like 19.9% I could, and did drink the whole bottle alone. Awesome

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Much thanks to kzoobrew for bring this one to the tasting!

A - For a small (4-5oz pour) there was a significant amount of tan head on top of the dark black base. Head dissipates slowly, and then a syrupy viscosity coats the glass.

S - Booze. It dominates. Hints of chocolate and brown sugar. Overall, the tone is booze and sweet.

T - Highly bourbon, but shockingly smooth for the high abv. Some chocolate around in the middle, and some interesting fruit tones in the end that are a bit difficult to pick out. Wonderful.

M - Exactly what you want from a big bodied stout. Its entirely full and creamy, and coats the mouth.

D - My wife could not finish hers (too boozy), so my 5ozs turned to around 9ozs. After that much, I was done, but the booze began to dominate. I dinged it a couple points just because of that.

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

pours out a thick, deep brown liquid that would accommodate no light to shine through and only some mere ruby highlights on it's edges. It was an exciting moment I had anticipated for months.

The minimal carbonation that culminated right after a vigorous pour, dissipated to leave a halo of moderately sized bubbles where the cherished booze touched the glassed edges.

Black Tuesday's gives off a deep aroma of dark cherries, chocolate, with roasty, as well as prune, raisin and fig notes. Lots of alcohol in the nose with licorice and very rich bourbon to sweeten things out on the end. So far the aromas do not disappoint.

The taste is as complex as it is alluring. The velvety smooth liquid tastes of caramel, chocolate, vanilla, dark fruit, prune and dark cherry that all appear miraculously with a syrupy, sticky alcoholic heat on the finish. In the most simplistic manner, Black Tuesday is one big dark chocolate covered cherry that has been soaking in bourbon.

The complex flavors are a lot for one's palate to contemplate. Its oily yet silky smoothness makes this beer incredible in mouthfeel alone. This revelation simplifies the complexities of flavor, yet the syrupy sweetness leaves the palate with full-bodied remnants that could almost be chewed.

Hype can be undoubtedly bad for a beer, just as it could be good. My opinion of this beer suffered greatly through my first sips, expecting a life-changing event after reading how great it was. Upon more thorough contemplation, and drinking much more Imperial stouts, I realized the intensity of flavor this beer offers. This is a must drink in my opinion.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

2011 Version poured into a Bruery Tulip Glass....

A) Black but a bit more opague then I would have thought...thin head no real lacing after a swirl.

S) Bourbon and Vanilla, a little dried fruit.

T) Absolutely amazing, bourbon and vanilla again, figs, plums and cherries the sweetness abounds!

M) Starts off smooth but you do get that alchohol burn!

O) Glad I have another bottle to age...this might be the beer for me that really has the best complimentary smell and taste. Outstanding!

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drove down to San Diego for a brewery tour. Came down to time it to have Black Tuesday and didn't realize you had to be a special member to get a taste... Pled my case and luckily one of the bartenders had sympathy and snuck me a glasss! Gave him a hefty tip and enjoyed an amazing beer!

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

2010 vintage. Shared yesterday by hu5om in La Crosse with a few other BAs. Served in a snifter:

A - Black with brown edges. Little head that dies to bubbly foam around the edges. Slinky lacing retention.

S - Nice bourbon, cream, chocolate and roast. Caramel and brown sugar. Candy, booze and wood.

T - Booze and candy sugar. Chocolate, roast and booze. A bit sweet and fruits, with dark fruits like plums and figs and booze. Oak and pretty hot, probably from the booze. Did I mention that this is pretty boozy?

M - Slightly smooth. Stinging sensation from the booze heat. Heavy and thick, but expected.

D - Not the easiest thing to drink. Thank God that I didn't have to drink this by myself. Although it was a pretty good beer, I think the hype train has taken this for a ride. I'm really glad I got to try it but I won't be seeking it in the future. We even mixed a bit of it with some 120 IPA to make a really extreme black and tan...it was an improvement. Thanks Ryan!

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I am more of a RB guy than a BA guy, but I feel this beer must be appropriately explored on both sites. I have been blessed enough to have this beverage at least 15 to 20 times by now. Simply a glorious beer! Originally on tap at the brewery (Bruery?) Pours with a large brown head over a black body. Alcohol legs, brown coating and lace all left behind on the glass. Aroma of tar, chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, dark fruits, and caramel. Taste is dark fruits, tar, bourbon, oak, candi sugar, plums, tobacco and bitter chocolate. Extremely long duration. Super viscous mouthfeel, light carbonation, amazing! Hides alcohol immensely well, does not taste or go down like 19.5% (not even close)! Really looking forward to the bottles. Fantastic beer. I never thought I could find a single beer from them better than Melange #3, but it turns out that a comment of that beer was better than the sum that made Melange Numero Three!

2.98/5  rDev -33.3%

Tap at The Bruery barrel room for the RBSG Grand Tasting. Thanks to Patrick Rue and the gang. A pleasure meeting you all. Pours a deep brune, thick tan head erupts. Nose is thick, sweet tomato paste; bourbon, maple, whoppers candies, vanilla extract. Taste is very sweet, whooo, that is a sweet one. Maple, booze, vanilla try to save something that is overloaded with sweetness from the alcohol level as the brewers are telling me this one actually attenuates very low. So the perceived sugar is really just the abv. I thought the Chocolate Rain felt a little less sweet than this one. The finish on this is also pretty hot unlike the CR. 7/24/2012 7/4/5/3/12=3.1

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Serving: 1 Pt. 9.4 Fl. oz. bottle poured into a Founder's CBS snifter. Bottled on 8/25/15, making this just under 6 months old.

A: Pours a surprisingly light brown color. Would've figured this to be classic motor oil-like, but no. Slim off-brown color head. Kind of murky.

S: Boom. Probably the most bourbon or spirit-forward beer I've got a nose on. Huge bourbon up front, great vanilla and chocolate notes, caramel, almond and dark fruits tucked in there as well.

T: Holy crap. Flavor overload here. Huge bourbon up front again, followed by that chocolate, vanilla, coconut, almond, caramel. Small notes of dark fruits on the finish as well, with some raspberry and dark cherry.

M: Just an assault on the palate. Much like a really good DIPA will hit you with hops for days, this thing is boozy as a mother. 19.9% is no joke here, you get all of it.

O: Wow, way to make a first impression. I love when a beer really has something to say. This may not be my #1 all-time favorite, but I really have respect for a BA Imperial Stout that steps up and is different. This guy wants to be 19.9% and is definitely 19.9%. The booze may be overwhelming for some, but it really lets the flavors shine and magnifies everything x10. I never had OG Rare, but this is what I envision it to be like because this truly is BCBS on steroids.

Recommendation: This was a long time chase for me and I gave up a lot for it. You should too.

4.73/5  rDev +5.8%

Just a couple small samples from the Bruery crew themselves at downtown johnny browns 22nd annv. Huge brew, alc and bourbon are not that noticable esp considering the alc level is 18-19%. Great part is if you ever open one of these you will need several people to share 1 bottle with. Dark rich thick sticky bourbon. like sweetened condensed milk but with stout and bourbon. not that sweet i guess. super complex and it opened up and grew bigger with just a couple minutes in a glass. not sure how / if this will age. hoping a long long time but it's a freak and can't wait to re-rate from my own bottle and the black rain!

4.99/5  rDev +11.6%

Outta freekin site this is good. Has replaced Berserker as " best ever".

Viscous, strong, sugary, fresh bourbon, aged bourbon, and bourbony hints of bourbon. mouthfeel still has active carbonation.

Vintage 2012.

In the category of thick, heavy, no holds barred RIS: this is fantastic. It is like BCBS x 1.5, eclipse x2. Wow.

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The headliner of our winter tasting tonight. First off, large props to BevmoIan and Errantnight for the hookup of Black Tuesday bottles and being reasonable traders of this highly sought after beer. Thanks to you both.

A - Dark pour with a khaki head that settles down.

S - A virtual whose who of smells greet you afer a pour into a snifter. Everything that you can imagine, toffee, caramel, candy sugar, chocolate, coffee, and smoke. The only reason it is not a 5 is that the booze is fairly apparent. I would equate this to Darkness or Dark Lord *2 with a strong boozy smell.

T - Given that it tops out near 20%, I have to give the mad scientiests mad props for this beer. It certainly has the booze behind it, but it is 20% for crying out loud. Actually, very pleasant given the ABV which is a real marvel to the craft of this beer. The booze is there, but it is still great.

M - Slick, chewy, oily and very satisfying.

D - You can split one of these 6 ways and still get a good experience. Try to drink this one by yourself and you will make a fool of yourself. You just can't have more than 4-5 ounces of this and get away with it.

It is a great beer and worthy of the acclaim. Other than the over the top boozy profile, it is REALLY good. Thanks to the above mentioned again for the hook-up.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black Tuesday pours, well, black, with a thin and wispy beige head that recedes to a faint ring around the edge of the glass. Thick, vinous legs on this one, too. The aromas are intense: heavy, heavy alcohol presence that's a lot like straight bourbon (though the alcohol aroma settled substantially as the beer warmed up); dark red fruit like raisins and cherries; chocolate; and a very nice oaky vanilla. Flavors are a dream: sweet, booze-drenched chocolate; spicy alcohol heat; caramelized brown sugar; vanilla marshmallows; more vanilla and molasses; more of those dark red fruits; and a faint char or roastiness on the finish. There's almost a sherry- or port-like flavor to Black Tuesday, which transforms this beer into one fit not only for mortals, but also for the gods. Mouthfeel is not thin, but not as viscous as I was expecting. It's just smooth, substantial, and exactly right for what's going on with the flavors. There's definitely a bit of alcohol burn, but this seemed to dissipate as the beer warmed up.

Overall, Black Tuesday is one of the best straight BA stouts I've ever had, maybe slightly ahead of BCBS and slightly behind the king of the roost, Parabola. The flavors are rich, complex, and hard to capture adequately with words. If you're a BA stout fan, you'll love this one.

Black Tuesday from The Bruery