Black Tuesday | The Bruery

Added by OlieIPA on 07-18-2009

Ratings: 3,859 |  Reviews: 690

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

From 12/12/10 notes. Got to try this at a local tasting thanks to drabmuh. Big thanks Matt, this was my biggest want!

a - Pours a jet black color with two to three inches of fluffy tan head that stays throughout drinking and light carbonation evident. Leaves a tiny bit of lacing on the glass, looks perfect.

s - Smells of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, dark fruit, and vanilla. Also a little sweet brown sugar or molasses. Very enjoyable; it's complex and balanced.

t - Tastes of bourbon, oak, chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, and molasses. Also a little bit of raisin or dark fruit. Taste is a bit hot but still great to me, as I love bourbon.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation. The body is really smooth and creamy and the ABV is very well hidden. It I didn't know this was 18-19% ABV, I would have guessed it was 9%. Love the mouthfeel.

d - Overall I thought this was an amazing beer; one of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever had. While this beer is super hyped and I have been disappointed with some of their hyped beers in the past, this one lived up to the hype. I think it looks and smells great, and has a wonderful mouthfeel, but is a tiny bit hot. I think in 6-12 months this could be even better, if the heat dies down a tiny bit. Either way, if you like bourbon barrel aged stouts you'll still love this one now. Would love to get another bottle of this.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

I feel like such a homer and a feeder of the hype-machine by giving this beer such an amazing review, but I cannot help it. It deserves it.

A: Black Tuesday is jet black and has one of the best heads I've seen. A finger or so of mocha colored foam that has incredible staying power. If it didn't taste so good, it would be great to just look at it in the glass.

S: As one might expect from a beer as big and bold as this, there are great aromas of bourbon, chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, sugar, and surprisingly mild alcohol.

T: The flavor is strikingly similar to the aroma (no shock there). The huge chocolate and bourbon barrel flavors are the first to knock your socks off. As you continue to enjoy the beer, you pick up on some dark fruits and licorice, along with some sweeter flavors of vanilla and brown sugar. Eventually the alcohol burn starts to creep in as the beer warms.

M: The carbonation on this beer is low, but the bubbles help to keep it from being too heavy and overwhelming. I find it to be a great match for the flavors and the enormous body of Black Tuesday.

D: Well, this could do well to sit in a cellar for about 5 years. But, it's still so wonderful now that I would not turn a serving down. This is one beer that truly has lived up to its hype (for me, anyway) and I look forward to sharing my bottles and my friends bottles whenever we feel so moved. An absolutely world class beverage!

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

I have had this beer multiple times over the last few years, this rating will be a combination of them all. The numerical ratings are from a 09 bottle. I recently brought a 2011 bottle to Imminent Liquidation II so I decided to finally write a review.

A - Pours pitch black with a nice one and a half finger tall tan head leaving a good amount of lace down the sides of the glass.

S - Smells of milk chocolate, vanilla, dark roasted malt, bourbon, dark fruits, oak, brown sugar and some oak. The booze is apparent throughout. I can not think of anything more I would want in an imperial stout.

T - Starts off with a ton of chocolaty sweetness and lots of warm bourbon quickly giving way to a mix of dark roasted malt, vanilla, dark fruit and brown sugar. Finish has some sweet heat with some lingering dry oak tannins.

M - Big, smooth, boozy feel that is just great. I prefer these with a year or so on them to help kill some of the booze. There is no doubt that this is one big beer.

O - This is undoubtedly one of the best imperial stouts out there. When it is fresh it can be a little too harsh for my liking but once the booze mellows it really comes into its own. I will never turn down one of these.

4.76/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottled Sep 2013, opened Nov 2013.

A - Black with a cola halo highlight. Bone-white head settles quickly into a thin rim around the edge of the class. Poor retention and low lace.

S - Booze forward nose; Bourbon soaked brownies, dark chocolate, malted milk balls.

T - Whoa. Thick, melted dark chocolate. Brown breads, caramel, almonds, vanilla, oak. Umami; soy sauce and sweet caramelized carrots. Molasses, brown sugar, and bourbon finish.

M - Incredible finish - possibly the best staying power I've ever had in a beer. Full, smooth, creamy frame.

O - An outstanding stout, absolutely worth the hype.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.52/5  rDev -21.3%

Served in a snifter.

Big thanks to VDubb86 for sharing his winnings with me!

And the elusive Black Tuesday sits in my glass. Nice. it pours a straight obsidian topped by a half-finger of light ecru foam. The nose comprises rich bourbon, chocolate syrup, roasted malts, molasses, and oak. Smells like the hype might ring true. The taste, though, ensures that it does not. The bourbon is far too hot, the chocolate is just a step too sweet, and these combined with a hefty dose of roasted malts produce an unnerving prickle on the tongue. It's clear there was a damn good idea in place for this beer, but it doesn't seem as though it was carried out very well. Perhaps some age would have done it some good, but I'm not sure I'll find that out. As it stands, the flavors are just too all over the place to work properly. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-chewy feel. Overall, though disappointing, I was very glad to have been able to try this brew. I can see why many would love it, but it's just not working for me.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

A huge thank you to Darrell for sharing this rare delicacy last night.

A: Deep, opaque black. There is a moderately small beige that hangs out for a few minutes before sinking into the abyss and disappearing forever.

S: Bourbon! Whoa! There is nothing subtle about the aroma. It's enticing and alluring, but I must say that is predominantly bourbon.

T: Black Tuesday tastes fantastic. Plain and simple. It's incredibly rich and buttery smooth. It's like a heavy freight train loaded with rich, roasted malt loaded and bourbon barrels on a collision course with your palate. I didn't find it to be complex, per se, as the enormous bourbon flavors overtake some of the more subtle aspects.

M: Extremely viscous, rich and thick. Alcohol content disguised masterfully. This isn't to say alcohol is not detectable, but I would never have guessed that it's nearly 20% abv. Very impressive.

D: While it definitely seems like a strong beer, I am amazed that it weighs in at 19.5% abv. That's insane. I had 6-8 ounces and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. Highly recommended.

3.87/5  rDev -13.4%

2011 750 mL bottle poured into my new CBS snifter. Split with baconbourbon.

Appearance - Doesn't really pour as black as I thought it would be, considering it's called Black Tuesday. It's a little translucent at the edges. Temporarily has a head, but it doesn't last. How could it, really? It incredibly sticky. If left for a while, I would expect this to reduce to a molasses-like sludge.

Smell - Bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. Whoah. I kinda get some of the stout behind it, but really it's overpowered by the bourbon, sugar, and alcohol. When I first smelled it, I got a lot of the barrel. As I drink it, I get less barrel and more alcohol.

Taste - Bourbon at first. Vanilla and caramel. No oak, but the barrel seems evident just from the bourbon and vanilla. Lighter malts shine through much more than any roasted malts. Immensely sweet. In the back I finally get some flavors from the stout itself. Chocolate and some coffee, but it's an afterthought to the sugar and alcohol. The finish isn't as boozy as I expected.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy. Boozy, but not in the taste. It's warming to the point of a slight burn. Split two ways, this is a big ask. I want to go to sleep, but I still have half a glass left and I know I won't feel so hot in the morning.

Overall - Disappointing, I suppose. I don't know what I expected out of such a gigantic stout. It's like the scene at the beginning of Super Troopers where they chug the maple syrup, except there's lethal levels of alcohol in this. Good night.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

I've tasted this several times, many different batches, but this review is from notes at EBF.
A thick black viscous liquid coats the inside of my glass with great legs. Aromas of chocolate, brown sugar, caramel, molasses, raisins and other dark dried fruits, along with a fair amount of ethanol. The flavor is sweet with dark and burnt sugars but that is countered nicely with a present but not overpowering alcohol heat. Roast and chocolate molasses round out the flavor nicely. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet syrupy mouthfeel. This is a monster of a beer, but its frikin tasty and devilishly deceptive.

3.68/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I have had the privilege of trying this brew each year it was released but never got around to writing a formal review. This time I am making it happen with a fresh 2012 bottle into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew pours brown in color as it streams out of the bottle and collects in my glass as a darker fudgy brown color. About a finger of khaki head sits atop and fades to a thin film across the top with less than a half finger holding around the outside perimeter of the glass. Rising bubbles maintain that partial forth around the edge of the glass seemingly throughout the entire duration. When held to the light, the brew shows some lighter brown coloration around the edges with hints of red.

The aroma of this brew is sweet with suggestions of vanilla and chocolate. There are plenty of dark fruity alcohol esters present in the nose mixing with a significant supporting role of whiskey. The residual sweetness of the nose is reminiscent of belgian candy sugar coupled with vinous notes. As the brew warms up, some herbal hop notes come forward. When swirled and as the brew warms, there are very minor roasty elements.

The initial flavors are quite sweet but there is a significant amount of booze also present that is borderline numbing to the tongue. A lot of dark fruity alcohol mingles on the tongue creating flavors akin to raisins, plumes, prunes and molasses with again, a kick of solvent alcohol. When bigger sips are taken, there is a bit of an herbal hop present and dry oak quality. As it warms up, it gets somewhat medicinal with a greater focus on whiskey aspects instead of beer.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It has a huge alcohol impact that really suppresses the overall drinkability. There is quite a bit of complexity here to take in and I gotta say this one has me scratching my head. I dont want to be "that guy" who proclaims the Bruery and this beer has changed but quite frankly, this is not the same beer I remember enjoying in years past. I realize the recipe isn't the same each year and the alcohol varies but this is a significant variance from years past. This is more like a fruity/vinous dark belgian strong ale than the thick and syrupy chocolate smoothie of a beast stout I remember.

4.65/5  rDev +4%