Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Sour In The Rye | The Bruery

Sour In The RyeSour In The Rye
4.31/5
Outstanding
Sour In The RyeSour In The Rye

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

We brewed this ale with around 40% rye as a base malt and let our sour yeast and bacteria eat away at it in oak barrels for over a year creating a sour ale with a complex character of rye spice, oak and a subtle funk.

Added by womencantsail on 08-09-2009

#487

Ratings: 2,484 |  Reviews: 305

1.5/5  rDev -65.2%

Extremely sour with no balance or complexity. Sauerkraut with alcohol. Not my cup of tea.

2.01/5  rDev -53.4%

2.07/5  rDev -52%

750 ml. bottle poured into my CCB tulip.

A: It really looks like rye whiskey in the glass. Very little head, no lace, and really just a flat quality.

A: Not only does it look like whiskey in the glass it smells like it too. I am getting very few sour notes. The rye is dominate.

T: This is not good. The rye is overbearing, and there is very little sourness. There is also a cloying sweetness that is not pleasant.

M: This is not carbonated, it is slick and oily, and the body is lighter than expected.

O: This is not a good beer. The lack of carbonation and the overpowering rye, did not make this drinkable at all. We had quite a few beers to get to, and I didn't want to waste my time or my palate on this train wreck. It went down the drain.

2.48/5  rDev -42.5%

I've discovered I do not like sour ales

2.52/5  rDev -41.5%

Edit 5/17/2013 - I didn't take notes for a full review, but the 2013 vintage gets a 4/5 from me. Substantially better than either previous release.

---

Epic Bruery sour/wild tasting, 3/4/2012

Side-by-side batch 1 & 2

Batch 1: light honey color. Vinegar, acetone, and sweet apple notes. Some cherry and peach.

Batch 2: slow gusher. Cloudy with floaties. Apricot aroma with a mustiness, bordering on moldy.

Batch 1 seems better than batch 2, but I wouldn't particular seek out either again.

2.88/5  rDev -33.2%

Maroon body, very small (almost none) off white head.

Acetic cherry aroma up front. Sweet malt in the background. The rye was slightly noticeable with a slight spice blended into it.

Strong and funky sourness. Balsamic vinegar with light ketchup flavor. The acidity burns your throat. The rye was absent in the flavor. A sample is enough.

I guess the majority of BA must really like drinking salad dressing. Or it's the rarity. Hard to tell.

2.9/5  rDev -32.7%

look: Deep amber, with a frothy head that departs quickly.

smell: I don't get much of one

taste: Quite puckeringly sour, not entirely pleasant . Unripe fruit and grass. More odd than delicious.

feel: Astringent, with a burn that lingers in my throat.

overall: A strange thing. I'm someone who loves sour ales, but this one isn't doing much for me. Maybe the fruit varieties fare better? There's a chance that the novelty of this beer will become a taste that I adjust to over time... and I have another glass worth that I'll polish off while I think about that... but my initial response is mixed.

(edit: I poured that second glass, had a few sips, and poured it down the drain)

2.9/5  rDev -32.7%

Thanks to Blaine for the share

A - It pours a caramel-brown hue, and is somewhat murky; the head is tan and minimal.

S - The nose offers notes of red apple skin, and strong solventy acidity. Acetic notes are heavy. It has some traces of acetaldehyde but they are minor enough to be buried under the vinegar.

T - Big acetic notes, again, and there is a much stronger acetaldehyde presence here, to the point of suggesting acetone. This beer is just one-dimensionally sour. I also pick up on some apple sweetness, and some oak, as the brew airs out, but I really am not crazed about any part of the flavor.

M - Fairly light-bodied, with nice carbonation; quite good in this aspect.

O - Not fantastic nor horrible, but it is certainly not something I would seek out. Very similar to Cigar City's Vuja De.

2.97/5  rDev -31.1%

Bottle from my Reserve Society shipment that I received thanks to Andrew.

Pouring a mildly hazy crimson with a thin, choppy off-white head that recedes to a thin disk leaving some frothy bubbles and not much lacing, this beer looks decent. The nose is pretty enjoyable. Right off the bat, there's red wine vinegar along with a bright fruitiness. Along with that , there's a blend of raw oak and vanilla, as well as a moderate grainy, rye character. The initial sniffs brought to mind some coconut, but that that seems to have disappeared. There is, however,a moderate berry character with cherries and maybe even a touch of raspberries? Solid stuff, this.

Like the label would have you believe, the palate here opens bracingly tart, with a bright, red wine vinegar sourness with a moderate acetone character. Again, the mid-palate has cherries and some raspberry/strawberry sourness, not unlike New Belgium's better offerings. The mid-palate brings out some of the rye, but it's most felt as a slick, mildly goopy (but not "sick" from pediococcus) along with a mild spiciness. Sour with vinegar on the finish, this beer is medium in body and has a low level of carbonation. Moderately vinous as well, especially before the lasting sourness of the finish takes over. The sourness hides a lot of the oak, revealing just a little bit of vanilla and wood. The alcohol is well hidden, which I guess is a plus, but given the high sourness here, I wouldn't be surprised if some the ethanol has been converted to acetic acid. While initially enjoyable, this very quickly (maybe 3oz in?) gets to be a huge chore.

Ultimately, this beer is just overdone like nobody's business. Drinking a whole bottle is nigh on impossible, I'm going to have to make a salad dressing or something with this. I would not age this any longer as at this point, my bottle is already a lot more sourer than an of the C&C La Folie's I've had. This seems like a recent development as some of the early reviews mention balance, low sourness, neither of which are evident from this sample.

Sour In The Rye from The Bruery