Autumn Maple Barrel Aged | The Bruery

thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Made with Yams.
2013 release is infected.

Added by HopHead84 on 09-05-2009

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From 11/26/13 notes. Bought 1 of these in the RS this year. Bottled 09/20/13, poured from a 750ml bottle into my Bruery tulip.

a - Pours a murky, reddish brown color with two inches of light tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of cinnamon, nutmeg, dark fruits, bourbon, pumpkin, oak, alcohol, toasted malts, and light caramel. As it warms more sweet bourbon comes out and it gets better. Pretty nice.

t - Tastes of bourbon, pumpkin, sweet dark fruits, cinnamon, cloves , vanilla, oak, toasted malts, and toffee and caramel malts. Very nice taste; more bourbon and pumpkin (I know it's yams but tastes like pumpkin to me), and nice vanilla and caramel too. Step up from the nose for me.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth and almost no alcohol heat which is awesome.

o - Overall a pretty good "pumpkin" style beer, and miles ahead of the normal Autumn Maple base beer, which I'm not the biggest fan of. A beer that gets much better as it warms up, with some nice sweet bourbon and very easy to drink for 13% ABV. I only grabbed one this year in case I didn't like it and wished I had grabbed 2; next year I'd buy 2 of them.

Pours out a nice murky brown color with a decent head of lacing that sits on top for what looks to be a few minutes before settling down and coating the sides of the glass.

first smells of oak and light vanilla come through the air. Spiced notes, cinnamon, pumkin, I am guessing almost like Yams or something. As it warms it comes through with more barrel with vanilla and caramel notes dominating. Smooth and subtle carbonation leads to a semi dry and sweet finish!

Overall a great beer that I am sure will imoprove with age

3.59/5  rDev -10%

I busted this one out to share with a friend of mine. He bought me my first Autumn Maple so I decided he would be the perfect person to share it with.

A - Pours murky dark brown with a one and a half finger tall white head, dissipating down to nothing at all, leaving no lace what so ever down the glass.

S - Smells of rich brown sugar, yams, vanilla, warm bourbon, cinnamon, and caramel. The nose gets better as it warms up but it isn't very well balanced and never really wowed me.

T - Starts off with a good amount of yam flavor but that quickly fades into the shadows as the warm bourbon and sticky sweet brown sugar take over. Hints of vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and other "Thanksgiving Spices" help round things out but this one is really all about the main flavors it seems.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, sticky, feel with some warm booze that lingers on the pallet long after consumption.

O - I knew going into this one that I may not enjoy it but I was pleasantly surprised. The BA worked pretty well with the base beer and it never really overpowered the base flavors. I still have one more of these, can't wait to see what a year or so does to it.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Had this on cask today at The Bruery tasting room.

A: Very, very dark brown with about one finger of an off white head.

S: Smells like Thanksgiving in a glass. Tons, and tons of yams and quite a bit of maple syrup. Vanilla from the barrels, and booze.

T: The warmth and lack of carbonation make the booze really come out in this one. After the initially booziness passes, the yam and maple flavors really shine through. On the finish, there is a very nice spice flavor which, again, is reminiscent of a Thanksgiving meal.

M: Warm, flat (as was advertised), sticky, boozy, and very full bodied.

D: The booze takes a bit of getting used to, but the flavors of this are just fantastic.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Pours a dark tawny brown color with a decent sized tightly bubbled off white head with moderate retention and minimal lace. I can smell the barrel treatment as soon as I pop the cap off. Spicy, herbal, and peppery aromas are mixed with sweet dark sugars, vanilla, bourbon and oak. The flavor is definitely different. Sweet sugary malts up front are attacked by peppery herbal earthy flavors and just before it gets too weird the bourbon sweeps in with a bit of woodiness to cleanse things a bit. Long lingering sweet herbal bourbon flavor in the finish. Medium to thick body with a sweet almost sugary mouthfeel and a light level of carbonation. Well this one certainly is different, but it really did grow on me after a pint. I don't think I've ever had the non barrel version, but it seems like without the barrel this would be a sweet and herbal mess. As is I kind of liked it, but not sure I would seek it out again.

2.1/5  rDev -47.4%

2013 bottle- sadly infected as expected.

Pours a beautiful mahogany with ruby clarity. Sitting atop is a finger of khaki head that fades quick leaving patchy lace.

Smell has some tang to it along with raw oak, earth and cinnamon. Fruity almost like cranberry. As it warms up, it smells kinda shitty with vegetal matter mixing with dirty diapers.

Taste is tart right upfront almost lemony with raw oak tannins feeling like im drinking a strong sour tea. Cinnamon bark in the finish then vegetal matter.

Light body and modestly carbonated. A trainwreck of a beer.

2.73/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.75/5  rDev -6%

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Overlord for picking one of these up for me. Served in a FoBAB mini-pint taster glass.

A - This is one homely brew. It's a turbid unfiltered dirty murky brown color. A half-finger of big bubbles that dissipates quickly to a ring. No lace.

S - Roasted yams, spice, a bit of booze, some butterscotch-y barrel flavors, and more spice. Smells like some pumpkin beers I've had. Molasses comes out more as it warms up.

T - The taste is significantly less spicy, with only a bit of nutmeg in the finish. As a result I like it a bit more than the smell, but not enough to give it an extra half point. Wish I could score this a 4.25, but unfortunately things don't work that way here. The barrel flavor is pretty light, mostly brown sugar, caramel, molasses, maple syrup, and a light tannic and butterscotch finish.

M - Sticky, medium body, mild carbonation, a bit of heat. Compared to the Firestone 11 I just had it feels a little thin, but otherwise it's pretty good.

D - I don't think I could drink a lot of this one - the 6-8 oz was more than enough. Like pumpkin beers it's good for a once a year seasonal type of thing.

4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

A: poured a murky burnt orangish brown in color with a nice half finger of head that left some good frothy lacing sticking to the glass.

S: lots of spice such as nutmeg and cinnamon but with plenty of yams pumpkin, and toasted sweet potatoes. the bourbon barrel qualities were present with a good amount of booze heat and some good maple syrup sweetness.

T: bourbon barrel character was more pronounced on the palate but added some good accents alongside the signature yams, pumpkin, and sweet potato flavor, with plenty of nutmeg cinnamon spice, a touch of vanilla, maple syrup and mild underlying booze that was well balanced.

M: the brew was medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a sweet, spice, mild boozy, bourbon barrely, yammy, and rich finish.

O: very well done variation of the autumn maple beer with great bourbon qualities and well balanced booze heat.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

Served in a Bruery tulip because I'm not an animal and I know how to drink a beer properly. At the time of this review, this is #10 on the "Top Beer - Fruit / Vegetable Beer" list on beeradvocate.com. At one time this was the #1 beer on this list, I had this bottle for a while and was slow to open it based on recent reviews and ABV, I split the bottle with Lunch though and we had a fine time drinking it.

Beer is amber / brown / orange and completely hazy, nice off white tan head of small bubbles, low retention, a little lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

Aroma is strong, sweet, syrup, bourbon, a mild spice.

Beer is medium to light in body and a little spice, lots of bourbon but it is definitely not the "watered down bourbon" descriptors friends have given me. It is pretty sweet and strong. Nice finish a little dry, it is a big beer and it would be hard for me to drink more than a pint of it but I might have it again in a smaller portion in the future.

4.11/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bourbon barrels to Autumn Maple. The regular version is awesome on its own, so what could adding liquor to the mix do to the beer? On-tap at the source itself, on to the beer:

Colored almost like autumn itself. Brown with orange hues and an accent of red. A short lived head on top, which drops to a lace around the glass. The aroma brings some aspects of Autumn Maple, yams and spices being prevalent, and the added characteristics of the bourbon barrel, booze and syrup. I could probably add this to my waffles for a change.

With so much of the barrel aged character in play of the beer's taste, it tastes like I have a small glass of yam liquor in front of me. There are traces of cinnamon and allspice to lift the experience. We have a big portion of sherry, as well of alcohol which acts as a two way street; it dampens some of the sweetness, but also perhaps being spoiled by The Bruery's ability to mask high alcohol beers, I get a good dose of strong alcohol. Still, it remains a very good beer. It's a full bodied beer with a smooth texture, but with a boozy character.

Autumn Maple with a twist. Sometimes you need a twist from ordinary, and the barrel aged version accomplishes that while maintaining greatness.

Autumn Maple Barrel Aged from The Bruery