Autumn Maple Barrel Aged | The Bruery

thebruery.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Fall

Made with Yams.
2013 release is infected.

Added by HopHead84 on 09-05-2009

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Served from bottle into a Bruery tulip. Poured brown with a half finger off-white head. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, yams, brown sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, wood, and subtle sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, yams, sweet alcohol, vanilla, maple syrup, oak, and subtle spices. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. After seeing some reviews on this one, I had a pretty good idea on what I was getting into. However, what I found was quite a bit more than I would have anticipated. The aroma was extremely nice on this one. Almost too awesome as it took me quite awhile to get to the first sip. On the first sip I am slammed in the face with yams. On the followthrough I have the nice lingering vanilla that refreshes the palate and invites you back for a night cap. A really well done brew that I'm definitely glad I had a full 750 mL for myself to enjoy, even though the volume along with ABV might make me regret that decision.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

3.59/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to Callmecoon for this. 2011 vintage I believe.

3.0 A: Deep plum black color. Two fingers of fizzy beige head. Head fizzes away like a soda would. No lacing.

4.0 S: Interesting. The bourbon in this smells more like rum. Perhaps it's the spices mixed with the bourbon booze that give this impression. In any case, this has a huge maple syrup presence, even more than CBS. Yams and toastiness next. Loads of spices, but they don't stand out too well individually. Rather, they meld to form one generic pumpkin spice blend. The bourbon adds a leathery earthiness and booziness. This smells good, but I think I like the non-barrel aged version better.

3.5 T: Very surprised here. This seems to be a lot less sweet that the normal version. Usually this would make me quite happy when dealing with Bruery beers, but I loved AM just the way it is. Anyway, the bourbon comes off like a rum again from the spice blend. Lots of yams in the taste. Toastiness and some nuttiness. Maple is less apparent in the taste. Again, tasty, but not nearly as good as the regular.

3.5 M: Heavier medium to ligher heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Lightly creamy. Some amylase coagulation going on in the back of my tongue.

3.5 D: Tasty, but I expected the bourbon to add a nice touch to the base. Instead, it seems that it weakened it.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

4.36/5  rDev +8.5%

1.89/5  rDev -53%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Pours a hazy reddish copper, moderate visible carbonation and a thin off-white head.

S: This smells like a glass of vinegar before I even get it all the way to my nose. Not good.

T: Yup…that confirms it. A glass of acetic vinegary awfulness.

O: This was a drain pour. As was the second bottle I opened. This review was quite delayed in posting - I opened the bottle as soon as I was back in town after the Bruery sent the email about concerns with this particular batch. It had been refrigerated since I received it.

Still, I will update this review after they (hopefully) get the issues sorted out for next years batch.

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

830th Review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750 ML
2011 Bottling

Served at recommended cellar temp

App- Deep dense brown with crimson/amber edges. A two finger, crème colored head with a medium receding rate showed and fizzled away with loud production. Falls to a healthy pond layer of bubbles with a very good amount of lace/cling

Smell- Very good aromatics on this beer. Large amounts of bourbon sting with a softer vanilla. The spices of nutmeg and cinnamon come in next. Round out with a whispy booze and some candied brown sugar.

Taste- This is much more inline with the taste of the base beer just kicked up a notch. More smooth from the barrel and a layer of added richness and fullness. The bourbon of course comes first with vanilla layering underneath to cut the sting. The spices are a bit more prevalent in this version and the 13% is there and you know it but not too too overpowering.

Mouth- Medium to full bodied with a medium to low carbonation level. Residual vanilla bourbon notes.

Drink- I wasn't surprised I like this one the best. Barrel treatments bring out vanilla and I love me some vanilla. This was really a great beer. Balanced, layered, flavorful but not overpowering. I would love another bottle or on cask.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

3.87/5  rDev -3.7%

Big Thanks to jdubfl for popping the top on this one.

A: Pours a nice deep shade of dark brown with a small off white head. No real retention or lace noted.

S: Aroms of candied yams, xmas spice, and lots and lots of barrel.

T: The yams are there for sure with hints of pumpkin pie spice. Sweet Molasses comes through along with very subtle chocolate malt. The barrel is huge in this beer. It provides light vanilla and oak, and lots and lots of booze.

M: Medium in body, smooth, rather soft in carbonation.

D: Pretty good, to be honest I think I like the non barreled version better though.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

3.47/5  rDev -13.7%

2011 Version

Look: Dark brown with a 1/4 inch head and ok retention

Smell: Nice brown sugar notes upfront that is backed up nicely by some bourbon and maple syrup

Taste: Maple syrup upfront with hints of oak and vanilla. Bourbon follows that and is faint but nice and on the back end you get quite a bit of alcohol which ruins the flavor.

Overall: Medium body with low carbonation and a bit of alcohol sting

Overall: I think the barrel aging actually made this beer less drinkable than the regular. The alcohol is overly present and very off putting. Glad I got to try this beer but I won't be doing that again unless it has some serious bottle age on it

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a capped 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Special thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist. Extra special thanks to route66pubs for this from our recent trade!

100% Barrel Aged

A: Pours a cloudy/murky milk chocolate brown. A vigorous pour nets barely any foam. Rather still and lifeless. Pours much like the 2008 (non barrel aged) version of this. Despite the lack of head, some flecks of lace were left behind. Lots of suspended sediment, as well.

S: Pretty healthy bourbon aromas mixed with some savory fruit and hints of tangy citrus, maple sugar, and pumpkin pie spices.

T: Same as above. As it warms, the savory yammy and bourbon soaked oak flavors become more apparent. The spices are there, but not overly "spicy". Heather noticed vanilla, toasted almond, and loads of caramel. Like a boozy/burny candy apple. She also noted that the finish has a tart/tangy granny smith apple flavor.

M: Sweet and slick with a surprising amount of tingle considering the lack of carbonation. Must be due to the abv. Not syrupy in the least. Excellent!

D: We were certainly worried by the lack of carbonation, but this more than made up for it with the spicy/peppery tingle that it lays across the tongue. Another excellent Bruery beer!

Autumn Maple Barrel Aged from The Bruery