Rugbrød | The Bruery

thebruery.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by Halcyondays on 10-05-2009

3.71/5  rDev -4.4%

A: Pours a nice brown with deep redish hues around the edges. There is about a finger of light khaki colored head that settles quickly. There is no lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose consists of some fairly large sour notes, some dirty earthiness, and some spice. I'm getting sour cherry, raspberry, dirt, grass, and spice. I don't know if this beer is supposed to be sour, but it's totally evident that those scents dominate.

T: This beer starts off with some sour cherry tartness. That flavors transitions into some vegetable funk, and finishes with some stone fruits and spice. This is a wacky beer. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to taste, but it's not bad. It's a little weird and I could see a lot of people not liking this beer, but I think it's pretty good.

M: Medium bodied beer. There is a good amount of heft to this brew and the flavors are unmistakable. The weirdness coats the palate and the lasting impression is a mix of all the flavors in the beer.

O: This beer is just alright. It's a little bit off, but I kinda like it. I don't think I'd buy this bottle again, but I enjoyed drinking it. At the very least, for the weird taste bud experience. This beer definitely gets better as it warms.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Bought a 1 PINT 9.4 FL. OZ. - 750 ML bottle of this from Total Wine & Beverage in Redondo Beach, CA for $12.99 & shared w/ GeoffTheAleMan. Poured from the Brown/Orange Labeled bottle w/ Yellow Writing & "JuleBryg-Style/Dark Rye Ale" stated into my 0,47l New Belgium Oversized Snifter Glass. Has no Freshness Date like many from The Bruery.

Aroma- Soft cherries, malt, and the sweetest amount of blended fruits (that seem to come off tart on the nose) are in here at the beginning. A very light rye character was in the background but didn't show up big. Not worried about it.

Appearance- Pours a 4 finger, longest lasting head possible! The body is a dark caramel color and is semi-hazy. Leaves the thickest lacing behind.

Flavor- Sweet malts, medium hops, and the sweetest fruits once again hit the palate on this one. Light-Medium bitterness and finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Highly Carbonated, Effervescent, and then has an AWESOME sour finish! Well done!

Overall Impression- Very refreshing and another nice example of a complexed beer from The Bruery! I love these guys' beer. Will say, I'm not sure what style this really should be but enjoyed thoroughly. Pick up a bottle if you haven't already!

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle with no bottle date. But I believe from the trader I received it from that this is a 2009 bottle. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A: Pours a deep reddish brown color. Totally bottle conditioned. Tons of head, 4 fingers of the stuff. Tight, tiny bubbles. They stay around a long time leaving lots of sticky lacing.

S: Deep dark fruits: raisins and prunes and plums. Some toasted malt notes with the spicy rye as well. The age might have knocked that down a little bit.

T: Nice rye bitterness on the tip of the tongue. Middle of the mouth is actually amazing: dark fruit, dark malt, some hops, more of that spice etc. blending together nicely. Smoothly. Easy close. Maybe the age mellowed it out nicely.

M: Medium to full.

O: I am going to have to go A- on this one. I really enjoyed it. It sort of surprised me as I wasn't sure what those years might have done to it. Another score for the Bruery.

3.06/5  rDev -21.1%

Thanks to whoever brought this at Stone Soup.

Rugbrød is a pretty dark one for a rye beer. This is the 2nd darkest I've seen right under Bell's Rye stout. Dark brown, light black shade with a tanish cap up top with no traces left behind on the glass. Smell is of roasted malt and cocco packed in with rye malt scent. Some old hop flavor with trace amounts of caramel. Taste is bold to say the least. Different. A rye beer with a Bruery twist. I get some smoke and some spicy notes mid palate finishing off with some cocco and heat in the finish. Feel is medium with crisp carb. A spicy finish on this one with a twinge of heat in the finish. Not my favorite rye beer and not my favorite Bruery beer. I could not even imagine trying to tackle a whole bottle of this alone. Im interested in cooking with it though.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%