Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mischief | The Bruery

Ratings: 1,836 |  Reviews: 518
1.75/5  rDev -56.1%

1.75/5  rDev -56.1%

2.15/5  rDev -46.1%

Hazy gold with a four finger white head with decent retention and lacing. The aroma has citrus, melon, and pear. Has a very hoppy aroma.

The taste has citrus, melon, pear, and some pepper. This is a very hoppy tasting beer. Some sweetness, and quite a bit of bitterness. Not sure I care much for this.

Medium bodied, heavy carbonation, finishes dry. Overall pretty disappointing. Nothing about it stands out as extraordinary. I will pass on this in the future.

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

2.37/5  rDev -40.6%

750ml bottle. Pours clear yellow gold with a huge creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass. Becomes hazy as the end of the bottle approaches.

The aroma is funky yeast, rotten fruit and spicy hops. Weird.

The flavor is sweet malts with some melon and mint and soap that leads to a big spicy bitter finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, this just doesn't do it for me. I haven't liked any Belgian IPAs I've had. And this one adds some weird notes - rotten fruit, mint, soap and melon.

2.6/5  rDev -34.8%

2.64/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I might have to give this another try, Wasn't digging it

2.67/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle into a tulip. From notes.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with lots of carbonation. The head is three fingers high, and white in shade. I'm pretty impressed with both the retention and the lacing left on my glass. (3.75)

Smell: The first thing I notice is Belgian yeast - unfortunately, this yeast characteristic seems rudimentary yet overpowering. In particular, I pick up notes of phenols, bubblegum, and bread. Some of the advertised hoppiness appears pretty well - it's grassy, and even a bit citrusy. Having said that, the nose seems rather insipid despite everything else going on. (3)

Taste: This opens up with some generic Belgian yeast notes - it doesn't seem to integrate within the rest of the beer, either. Having said that, I do pick up notes of apple, pear, bubblegum, and candi sugar. The finish is gently grassy, displaying a hoppy touch (which happens to be my favorite feature). Hinting to what I said earlier, this beer seems really out of balance, which is sad considering how light (dinky?) the general flavor is. It's one of those beers I don't like, yet I can't truly explain why. Basically, it's sorely lacking in cohesion, refinement, and finesse. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: It wants to be crisp and dry, though it really isn't. The gentle hoppiness and strong carbonation creates that illusion, but at the end of the day, it's heavy and downright syrupy. A hoppy BSDA, syrupy and bulky? What the hell, guys! (2.25)

Overall: Well...the intentions are good. It wants to be a crisp, light, hoppy golden ale with a Belgian twist. And yet, it isn't such a thing. Not at all. It feels heavy, but tastes light - that's pretty much the worst of both worlds. Come to think of it, this isn't the first time I've been letdown by The Bruery... (2.5)

2.64/5: Go be mischievous somewhere else

2.68/5  rDev -32.8%

Served on-draught at the Bruery provisions store in Orange, California as part of a taster. Serving volume was 2 oz. At the time, I thought the serving temperature was entirely too warm, but they're The Bruery, so this can't be attributed to barstaff error. Reviewed from notes.

A: No head. Colour is a clear light gold. I'm unimpressed.

Sm: Pear, citrus ester hops, distinct ammonia (I shit you not), and maybe cream. The aroma is just downright repugnant, but fortunately is only moderate in strength.

T: Pear emerges dominant atop the weak barley foundation. Slight ammonia-evocative esters destroy the climax. Terribly executed for the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but not complementary of the flavour.

Dr: Decent drinkability, below average quality and above average ABV.

2.68/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured a cloudy orange yellow with two fingers of head into a snifter. has a somewhat sour pineapple bready nose with that belgian funk to it

It tastes like it smells with a strong alcohol presence and big carbonation. Not a big fan and would not seek out again.

2.81/5  rDev -29.6%

In a Bruery snifter at Brickstore Pub.

The bartender gave me a very nice pour. Massive white crown that took a while to settle, nice lacing, dull orange-yellow hue. It looked inviting.
Smelled of spicy/citrusy hops, grass, earth, rain, and rank Belgian esters...nothing wholly remarkable about it. Rank.
The first sip was pretty good. I thought I was really going to like it. It was very thirst quenching, spritzy. Downhill from there as it warmed up. There was a severe slightly spoiled grapefruit aspect. It actually started to irritate the roof of my mouth (and I like grapefruit, I've been loving me some Hopslam for the last couple weeks!). That and a dirty mustiness was all I could focus on. I like acidic, sour, and funk, but this was something else entirely. I chugged the last 1/3 to get the hell rid of it. Rank.

Oh, but the mouthfeel was brilliant. Go figure.

2.84/5  rDev -28.8%

750mL bottle to tulip.

A: An airy bright white head of 3 1/2 fingers is created on the pour and lasts for a very long time. The head pulls away from the glass becoming lumpy on the surface but begins to level out as it slowly deflates. Spotty clumps of lace adorn the glass. The body is amber in color, cloudy on the first pour and increases in cloudiness on each subsequent pour.

S: The aroma is very transformative with respect to its current temperature. Lots of grain with a caramel and toasted straw componenet. Heavily hopped. Grass forward with supporting notes of resiny pine woodiness and just the right amount of lemon and orange citrus to freshen up the aroma. The yeast contributes earth and must and brings in some unwanted rubbery phenol notes, which are initially low but become extremely abrasive the longer the bottle sits. By the last glass (now at room temperature), the plasticky phenols are intolerable. As high as a 4 then as low as a 1.

T: Again, constantly changing as the degrees rise. Starts out great, then turns for the worse. As high as a 4.5 then as low as a 2.5.

M: Medium-full body with a thick, creamy texture. Minerally with an average amount of carbonation. The flavor duration is long, lightly sweet throughout and is semi-dry on the finish.

D: The first time I had this beer, I thought it was fantastic. It was served cold, split among four friends and the beer never had a chance to warm. My next few experiences were on draft. Completely different beer and unimpressive. I thought the taplines may have been dirty so I found another bar serving it. Still...quite forgetable. This is a review from the bottle, consumed slowly throughout the night, by myself. I strongly recommend that anyone so inclined to drink Mischief finds themself a bottle and a few friends. Serve it cold and drink it quick. In my experience, this is the only way to enjoy this beer.

2.92/5  rDev -26.8%

2.93/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Lots of yeast in the aroma with a bit of funk. Okay body, but the beer is a little bland. Funk aroma does stand out in the flavour. Not a whole lot of fruit or flower in the taste. Maybe it is old, but I expected more lighter notes of citrus fruit than the heavy funk that i do get.

Mischief from The Bruery