Chocolate Rain | The Bruery

Chocolate RainChocolate Rain

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV
2012: 19.5% ABV
2013: 18.0% ABV
2014: 18.5% ABV

Added by mikedashg on 10-28-2009

Reviews: 326 | Ratings: 2,544
4.25/5  rDev -4.1%

2012 bottle courtesy of Vincent at our crazy Antwerp tasting. Thanks everyone for an amazing night that will long have a special place in my heart and liver. Sampled next to a 2011 Black Tuesday, in a 50-50 blend of the two and even mixed with a lambic (which was dead gorgeous). Yeah, that's how crazy things got.

A: Pours a chestnut brown going into black. Very little head with awesome oily lacing that gets swept away by the alcohol. You can tell just by looking at it this is going to be one boozy beast.

S: Bourbon, vanilla and milk chocolate. No real bitter notes from dark chocolate, which I was expecting since this was matured on whole cocoa nibs. The differences with Black Tuesday are there, but they are very subtle at best. It seems the cocoa has mostly subdued the oaky notes from the barrel.

T: First things to hit the tongue are bourbon, vanilla, sweet Japanese soy sauce and creamy milk chocolate. Some woody notes, but very subtle if so. This is distinctly less sweet than the Black Tuesday, whereas I was expecting the complete opposite due to added vanilla during maturation. The cocoa nibs are sadly all but lost to me and that's a bit of a shame: the bitterness and slight acidity of a roasted cocoa bean would have cut through all that sweetness beautifully. Again, the booze is very present and borderline hot. It could do with some aging.

M: Soft carbonation that's only just enough to remind you that you're drinking a beer and not syrup. Very fitting for the style.

O: Though the maturation on cocoa nibs is sadly a bit lost to me, I preferred this over its base beer. Where the alcohol in Black Tuesday came out just a touch more aggressively because of the sweetness in it, the added maturation on this seems to have mellowed out some of that hotness. Since there are currently no Choccy Rains older than a year and a half and the first batch is very hard to get, this beer will take some time before it reaches its peak. When the time comes, I'll be sure to give it another shot.

4.81/5  rDev +8.6%

Notes from a tasting on 8/15. not sure who brought this one, but i can tell you that it was far and away the highlight of the tasting. i had a batch 2 recently (review still needs to be added), and i can tell you it is a different beer entirely from batch 1. batch 2 is not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but batch 1 is simply magic in a bottle.

Batch #1!!!

a - poured a watery black with no head at all, looks kind of sludgy, but has that darkness of the devil's soul.

s - a hint of rubbing alcohol with a salm in the face of amazing gourmet chocolate and the perfect dosage of vanilla glazed on top. some toasted coconut in the background to round out the nose. really just marvellous, my mouth is watering.

t - HOLY MOLY!!! Huge vanilla with rich decadent chocolate. Still pretty hot, but beautiful. everything is in it's right place. the vanilla is divine. not a vanilla bomb, but a dessert.

m - a bit hot, but silky smooth. for a beer this huge, it blows you away how great it drinks.

o - FAR superior to batch 2. FAR FAR FAR superior. this beer is unreal. the entire group was floored by it and i don't think one of us didn't peg this as the top beer of the evening (and it was in good company with rare, black note, pappy eclipse, and other big guns). we even gave some sips to a table of ladies next to us and they too were blown away that "a dark beer" could taste so good. when we told them the ABV, they thought we were lying.

4.12/5  rDev -7%

Decided to open this one with a few friends during our annual trip to Maine. Batch #2.

A- No carbonation at all really. Pour was slightly thin, similar to BT. Dark brown in color, not as dark as most stouts.

S- Right up front the chocolate hit me, followed by oak, bourbon, vanilla, dark fruit, toffee, and some burnt notes as well. There is a lot of alcohol on the nose as well. The aroma is extremely sweet, but I expected this.

T- A lot of the same notes in the aroma come through in the taste as well. Dark chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla are the main flavors that come out. The aftertaste is all dark chocolate. Chocolate Rain is definitely not as smooth as BT. There is a huge alcohol presence and although it doesn't taste like it's 19.5%, it's still very obvious that it's high. The taste is extremely sweet, maybe even more than BT.

M- Thinner, definitely not creamy at all. No carbonation.

O- This is good, but not great. It's on par with Black Tuesday if you enjoyed that, but it's different. I feel like both of them are constantly rated high because they're great for having such a high ABV, but that doesn't impress me. I'd rather drink a stout that's 12% and tastes better, but that's just me. There are some exceptionally complex flavors in this that made me happy that I tried it, but I wouldn't seek it out again. It's not very smooth at all and just too sweet for my taste.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Thanks to whoever busted this one out. Pours dark brown with a filmy tan head. Heavy sweet boozy and creamy throughout, chocolate liqueur and See’s caramels. Rich and luxurious, ultra-sweet but quite delicious.

4.82/5  rDev +8.8%

In the Beer 2000 (the rest of this voice should sound like Conan O'brien)... Oh man, never thought I would reach 1000 let alone 2000, holy crap! To do it, one of my long (about 1 year) sought after beers, Chocolate Rain, "Some stay dry and others feel the pain" (Tay Zonday eat your heart out). Shared with rudzud as our shared RS membership dictates.

As it pours, it looks a bit lighter than I expected as it's flowing slowly out of the bottle. A light fizzy head forms, darker colored I think although hard to tell, fades almost instantly, although typical for ridiculous abv beer, over a very dark beer, not quite pitch black, with hints of light sneaking through the edges, and I mean HINTS. It also wants to have legs, but is more like a layered sleen of beer slowly sliding down the sides of the glass instead of legs.

Nose is just pure chocolate! Awesomeness! Tons of chocolate right out, oh and vanilla!. A big cocoa nib profile wafts out of the glass, not too aggressive at first, but then shows me up quickly, with some cocoa nibs, melted milk chocolate, a bit of baker's and some heavy dark chocolate. The fresh soaked vanilla beans, tons of caramel and molasses to add to the richness. A bit of booze, but doesn't seem like 19% yet. It brings that aroma of a brick of almost pure dark chocolate, there's so much chocolate! so many exclamation points!. A hint of cinnamon leads to some brandy and bourbon soaked raisin, vanilla, some oak and bourbon. The vanilla really builds as it warms.

Taste, ooohhh man, knee buckling, luckily I peed before I sipped this. it just erupts with pure chocolate! It reminds me a lot of the huge brick of the super dark chocolate I used to get at Trader Joe's which I would shave slices off, and let them just melt over my tongue, and the result is almost exactly like this experience. Various layers of chocolate melting all over my mouth, bakers', dark, milk, cocoa nibs, etc, etc, and also etc. Then comes vanilla, with all the descriptors I did for chocolate, vanilla is just behind it (well mostly after it warms). Some toasty oak barrel, vanilla, pure vanilla bean and richness. Some bourbon comes through as well, not strong, but enough to let you know, with a light bourbon soaked raisin like flavor. It drinks like 9% not 19%, smooth and rich, and just a light bitterness. A touch of biscuit adds some malted milk ball flavor. Finish is super long, mouth coating, tons of vanilla, chocolate, dark choc, light bourbon, oak, booze, and just a touch of bitterness, linger for what seems like forever, and even burps up flavor of awesomeness hours later.

Mouth... holy shit, this has to be the best mouth feel I've ever had in a beer!!! it doesn't even seem like a beer, more like velvet, velour, essence of pour silk, and everything in between, all having sex with the hottest chic in the world in heaven, wrapped in melted dark chocolate, and served on a naked hot Japanese woman, ala sushi, etc. There really isn't a word to describe the mouth feel. If I could vote for higher than 5, this mouth would go to 11. It even tickles my gums on each subsequent sip, literally tickles!

Overall... gggmmmsssshhhgggguguuuaaahhhgggrrrlllggguuh.

4.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Batch 2 poured into a Cigar City snifter

Appearance ~ Deep Black/Brown with a small amount of Tan head.

Smell ~ BOURBON, Chocolate, BOURBON, vanilla, BOURBON and some nice almond notes. In case you didn't catch the bourbon, I thought my nose was going to catch on fire it smelled so strong.

Taste ~ This baby is hot, really hot. Chocolate and sugar are really nice, its a good sweet, and not too sweet. Only problem I have with the taste is the overwhelming booze. Great taste after you get past the alcohol.

Mouthfeel ~ Nice, still a little hot, but the aroma hangs around nicely.

Overall ~ This is a quality brew. I think if I have another, i'll hang on to it for a minimum of 3 years before I drink the next one so the hardcore booze calms down. CR is Black Tuesday with cocoa nibs. It's good, but I would have just saved the cocoa and put out more Black Tuesday, BT is much better at hiding the heat. BT is just much better period.

Thanks Tom for sharing Batch#2 and Merc for sharing Batch#1

The beer pours a deep black with no visible head. The nose is cloyingly sweet with a touch of chocolate and way too much booziness. The taste is just as sweet and the immensely overpowering alcohol makes this beer less than enjoyable. I literally feel my palate burning with each sip...and none of the beers rich, chocolaty body comes to my rescue. I assumed the beer would have a velvety smoothness that masked the alcohol, but this is not the case. (Batch #1 is significantly better with far less high octane ethanol and much more chocolaty smoothness). I just don't understand the hype...but I'd recommend getting a Batch#1 over a #2 in any case.

2013 batch shared side-by-side with mocha wednesday and BT
Pours a bit darker than Black Tuesday, very dark brown, some sediment, razor thin head around the perimeter. The nose had a potently aromatic vanilla, some deeper chocolate notes, prune as it warms, caramel sweetness, hints of alcohol. The taste has a big chocolatey sweetness and burning ethanol in the finish. The mouthfeel is sweet, but has a vanilla and chocolate presence that cuts through the ethanol (especially compared to Black Tuesday). It's not as thick and full bodied as expected, but the alcohol is well masked, even when it warms. This beer is noticeably better than the base, really drinkable considering the abv and heavy flavors

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%

750 ml bottle, 19.5% abv. Very dark brown, approaching black. No head to really speak of, but a very faint tan ring around the edge.

Big whiff of alcohol, even from across the room. Dark chocolate, bourbon and wood.

A bit of sweeter chocolate up front. Heavy notes of bourbon and wood. Perhaps a bit of vanilla comes through to round things out. Chocolate and booze linger on the palate for quite a long time.

A bit light in the body, with an almost oily feel. Alcohol is quite warming, but not overwhelming. Quite the experience.

4.61/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours brownish red. Thin looking and unimpressive for a stout of this stature.

Big fusle alcohol aromas almost burns my nose hairs. Thick chocolate, vanilla and toasty oak with a nice layer of bourbon. Some dark fruit lies underneath.

Just a killer tasting beer. Layers of sweet melted chocolate, fudge, vanilla bean, bourbon, dried fruits, burnt caramel, toasted oak, very light coffee. Date, black fig, quince and black licorice. Some cherry and currant as well.

Mouth isn't big and thick but oily and slick with alcohol. But fits the beer well and doesn't interfere.

Mmmmm!

4.13/5  rDev -6.8%

Had 2 bottles. Finally just couldn't wait anymore and had to crack one open. Pours dark black, with zero head, zero bubbles at all. The smell is way too hot. Loads of alcohol, as well as chocolate, roasts, vanilla, and a bit of bourbon. Taste is sweet from the vanilla. Not as much chocolate flavor as Black Tuesday, and also extremely hot. Just too much booze. However, once you get pass the booziness, it is blended nicely. Mellow chocolate, sweet vanilla, and balanced bourbon make the flavor have a lot to look forward to. Mouthfeel, once again, just overrun with booziness. Full, and creamy, but the booze is just too much. Overall, I gave this a 4.5 based on how I think this will develop. I'm going to wait at least 2 years to open my 2nd bottle, and I think this will be amazing once the booziness fades. At the moment, I prefer Black Tuesday over Chocolate Rain, but that could change with some age.

Shared this bottle with the girlfriend and some friends at Eureka! Burger last night. Pours a thick black color with little to no head. Some tiny brown bubbles. Scent is very sweet and boozy. The booze is very up front in the nose, which quickly switches to sweet chocolate and vanilla. Subtle sweet bourbon aroma with more intensified vanilla. Taste is not nearly as boozy as the nose made it seem. Very sweet though. Intense sweet chocolate and vanilla flavors...like literally eating some rich chocolate cake. I feel like there could have been more barrel flavor to this beer...and possibly a little overly sweet. Mouthfeel is full bodied and syrupy. Drinkability is fair, as long as you are sharing it with a good amount of people. Overall, I enjoyed Black Tuesday a bit more. This is a well-crafted beer that most breweries could not pull off (a 19.5 ABV stout that is drinkable!)...just good in small doses. Glad I tried it. I have one more bottle and need to decide whether to age it longer or trade it.

2.94/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured into a snifter, about 6-7 oz. 2011 vintage (Batch 2).

3.0 A: Deep brown/black color. Head fell just about as soon as it was made.

4.0 S: Surprisingly, the booze is fairly well hidden, in the the nose at least. Big roastiness, lots of sweetness, but reasonable. Chocolate, vanilla, molasses, and leathery bourbon. Coffee underneath. It's intense, but it doesn't have much of the subtlety or complexity that I like to discover in the style.

2.5 T: Big roast, lots of chocolate, caramel, and molasses. Vanilla with oak underneath. Big leathery bourbon. Uncontrolled sweetness and booze, but not quite as bad as BT '11 was.

3.0 M: Heavy body. Good moderate carbonation. Too thick and chewy though otherwise okay.

2.5 D: This is undoubtably tough to drink and no one in my 'burgh tasting group cared for it.

4.04/5  rDev -8.8%

750 mL bottle poured into a taster. Batch 2. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark brown, not quite black. Ruby flecks in the light. Mocha head that's gone pretty quickly.

Smell - Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Nice, until the booze. Wow is it boozy.

Taste - Sugar. Sugar again. Bourbon. Chocolate, then sugar and sugar again. Alcohol rounds it out, I guess. I get the chocolate, but there's no other evidence of a stout in there. Still, it tastes pretty damn good.

Mouthfeel - Sugary sweet. Diabetes in a bottle. 3 or 4 oz. is the most I could drink of this. Excruciatingly boozy.

Overall - It's so over the top. Better than BT, but only because of the chocolate flavor. There's barely a stout back there behind the barrel and chocolate.

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%

Do I even need to bother describing the appearance? Pitch black with a very minimal cream head.

This thing reeks of booze and vanilla bean, with chocolate back behind it -- I love it! Taste is the same. Actually reminds me a good bit of World Wide Stout. Big chocolate, licorice, vanilla, "bourbon" (and all that entails) and booze. I keep saying "booze" -- but don't let that fool you. Also, there's some roast on the palate, which I'm extremely sensitive too -- but it's minimal and quickly overwhelmed by the rest of the beer. This is imminently drinkable and smooth, with a nice warming burn as it goes down. Mouthfeel is syrupy, but not overly thick.

I love it, but I think I loved Black Tuesday even more. And quite frankly, I feel like World Wide Stout scratches the same itch pretty well...and WWS is way more readily available.

3.31/5  rDev -25.3%

750ml bottle split a few ways

A: Very light for an imperial stout with minimal head. Not very good, but I guess it could be worse.

S: Tons of milk chocolate and vanilla sweetness with caramel and bourbon and tons of booze.

T: Very strong milk chocolate and vanilla again. Booze is a bit overpowering, but doesn't make the beer undrinkable. Bourbon is again strong, but a bit in the background. Very sweet and not very refined or complex.

M: Fairly thick mouthfeel with low carbonation. A bit too low on the carb.

O: This is a sweet boozy unrefined milk chocolate bomb. It's certainly not bad, but it's certainly not world class.

4.77/5  rDev +7.7%

2012 vintage. A huge thanks to my Reserve Society trustee Brewtifulmind for getting this bottle to me. Thanks Chad! Poured in to Bruery tulip.

A - Poured very dark brown and looked unexpectedly thin during the pour. Settled black with next to no head.

S - Big bourbon and vanilla notes up front with oak, cocoa nibs and a big sweetness. Very robust and inviting nose.

T - A big hit of bourbon up front with loads of sweet vanilla and oak. There is also intense cocoa and lighter licorice and roast flavours present. The vanilla really takes centre stage here with the added vanilla beans accentuating the natural vanilla from the barrels. There is a fairly big alcohol presence, but considering the 19.5% ABV, it isn't harsh at all. In fact, the ABV is just enough to balance out the sweet vanilla and cocoa. Very decadent.

M - Medium body with some viscosity at times. Light carbonation.

O - A truly decadent beer. I haven't had an imperial stout over 14% ABV that was as drinkable as this one. Remarkable.

4.62/5  rDev +4.3%

750ml bottle into a snifter - 2012 Vintage

A: Pours a dark brown (not as black as I expected) with a tiny off-brown head that fades to a ring and leaves no lacing.

S: The nose is so similar to BT I probably couldn't tell the difference if they were side by side. There are nice notes of vanilla, chocolate, molasses, and bourbon. I'm not getting much cocoa or vanilla which is surprising.

T: The taste is simply amazing! Unlike the nose this is leaps and bounds above BT. There were massive flavors of chocolate, vanilla cream, fudge brownies, molasses, and bourbon.

M: The feel is medium bodied and thick like syrup on the finish. The beer does get kind of cloying the longer you drink it.

O: I was not as impressed with BT when I had it as I thought I would but this definitely lived up to the hype. I could drink this all the time in small quantities. It does get cloyingly sweet as you get to the end of your glass but it's so tasty.

3.38/5  rDev -23.7%

Lucky to get some of this stuff from a couple regular trading buddies of mine. Cheers to jbeatty and hotpipes for the bottles.

From a 750ml bottle into a snifter
Second bottling

Note: We drank this right after the 2011 batch of Black Tuesday, so much of this review applies there as well.

APPEARANCE: Luckily this one didn't gush like BT'11 did. Both beers pour very similar though. A very transparent, thin, and relatively light brown pour yields a thin, loose, bubbly, off-white head with lousy retention. Clear bistre brown body with no real carbonation. Head quickly fades to a thin ring, which eventually vanishes as well. Looks flat by the end and absolutely no lacing at all. Much too thin and transparent for the style as well. Very disappointing; clearly worse than older vintages of the Black Tuesday.

SMELL: Quite a bold nose on this one. Chocolate notes for sure with a good dose of bourbon barrel. Oak and a touch of vanilla in there as well. Still boozy with lots of bourbon barrel, though the cocoa mellows it out a bit and it's not as harsh as Black Tuesday. Lots of chocolate and barrel, though not much stout per se.

TASTE: Lots of cocoa up front, accompanied by plenty of bourbon, oak and vanilla from the barrel. Booze and a touch of roasted malt through the middle, then a big, boozy burst at the swallow with some vanilla and chocolate following through. Big, bold and boozy aftertaste of bourbon, oak, vanilla and enough cocoa linger and linger on the palate. This is very much Black Tuesday plus cocoa and vanilla. A boozy, flavorful desert beer. Boozier than the '10 and '09 vintages of Black Tuesday for sure.

PALATE: Medium-light body with medium levels of carbonation. A little lighter than the base beer, and definitely lighter than older vintages of Black Tuesday. Goes down with a decent burn after the swallow and finishes rather sticky on the palate. Lots of heat lingers. Too light and harsh really. A little challenging here.

OVERALL: This is a huge beer for sure. The nose and flavor are quite decadent, thought it suffers from being wholly too hot right now. This and the '11 Black Tuesday were way hotter than I remember the 2010 and 2009 vintages of the base beer. Moreover, the look was sad and the feel simply too light and harsh to really be an enjoyable drink. While the appearance is a lost cause I'm afraid, some time will hopefully let the booze mellow and the feel smoothen out a bit, which will move this in the right direction. There is a lot of potential here, but there's too much "big" in the way. Thanks again for the bottles boys. I look forward to seeing how this one develops with a couple years on it.

4.17/5  rDev -5.9%

750ml poured into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew streams a dark brown that settles in the glass more toward black. An initial 3/4 finger of tan froth dissolves to a fine ring around the edge of the glass. Some spotting of lace sticks to the glass that is minimal. There is a greater amount of alcohol legs that sticks to the glass than lace. A swirl agitates bubbles from solution that again creates a quick dissolving film. When held to the light, the brew looks more of a clouded brown with some yellowish/orange highlights around the edges.

The aroma is fairly strong with notes of cocoa and vanilla. These 2 characteristics are also present in the base beer but it is really exaggerated here in Chocolate Rain. The overall nose is quite sweet smelling and inviting with character that is reminiscent of brownie batter. As the brew warms up, the alcohol starts to come through with some solvent burning to the nostrils and a faint amount of dark fruity character.

The taste is sticky and sweet with an immediate rush of chocolate and strong vanilla flavoring. There is no hiding that 19.5% abv though. It comes surging out with bold fusels and a solvent kick that strips the sweetness from the inside of the mouth and burns all the way down the gullet. There is a bit of bitterness here towards the back that seems like unsweetened chocolate and a bit of fruity hop accent. Black licorice is evident in the aftertaste.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is thick and chewy yet a smooth sipper. This is an impressively bold brew with a shocking amount of cocoa and vanilla inclusion (moreso than I expected.) As far as drinkability goes, this one is a brute and is not something to be drank glass after glass of. It is rich and inviting and something I would like to be able to take in small samples on multiple occasions, not try and tackle an entire 750ml of. Fans of Black Tuesday will love this but in my opinion this is really hot right now. I wish I would have waited a year or more to open this.

4.42/5  rDev -0.2%

Reviewed from notes from The Bruery tasting I hosted Saturday night. 2012 vintage

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a Alesmith Horny Devil snifter.

A- Pours pitch black with 1 finger light tan head. Almost no lacing and head resides nearly immediately.

S- Tons of chocolate and vanilla! Big bourbon nose as well.

T- Beer follows nose almost to a T. Big bourbon burn at the finish.

M- Full body, medium carbonation. Huge sipper with a fairly predominate alcohol burn at the finish.

O- Crazy beer! The vanilla is amazing and the chocolate ain't to bad either.

4.54/5  rDev +2.5%

A- Dark brown body with brown highlights around the edges collar left.

S- Vanilla pops out immediately. Sweet, minty smelling. World class aroma.

T- I'd say vanilla in the forefront, not an aggressive vanilla though...very mellow. Bourbon heat mellow as well.

M- Low end of carbonation. Chewy thick mouthfeel.

D/O- Coco Rain, a real pleasure to sip. only BCBVS competes on the vanilla scale. Thanks 4DAloveofSTOUT!

4.87/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Black. No head or lacing to be seen. Pure Stout here!

S: Amazing! Wow! Lots of Vanilla, Bourbon, Chocolate, Alcohol. A Seriously intoxicating smell that you could enjoy for a long time.

T: Chocolatey, Vanilla, Bourbon Barrel then the heat. Simply Amazing, again WOW! Great tasting beer.

M: Thick and full bodied but still very smooth. No carbonation.

O: I loved this beer and would love to seek out some again. It's Amazingly smooth, Tastes incredible. Chocolate/Vanilla/Bourbon Barrel Perfection! For it's 19.5% it's even more amazing to be so well integrated. Sip and enjoy this one! Thanks to 4DaLoveOfSTOUT for sharing this with us.

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%

750ml bottle. Bottled 02/09/12. ABV 19.5%. Served in a snifter.

Pours dark root beer brown, slightly translucent. No head, just a tiny ring of bubbles. No lacing.

Aroma of dry chocolate, coffee, vanilla, bourbon, wood, dark fruits and a significant amount of alcohol. Chocolate is the strongest note.

Flavor starts with rich sweet chocolate. Some roast, but sweetness takes the forefront. Vanilla and dark fruit flavors are there, but sit behind the chocolate. Bourbon barrel notes emerge through the finish. Not tasting much of the copious alcohol, but heat comes on quickly. Chocolate lingers on in the aftertaste. Stunning and powerful flavor.

On the fuller side of medium bodied with low carbonation. Fairly silky and smooth.

A fantastic beer, especially for chocolate lovers.

4.59/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle dated 020912, Lot 30.

A: Pours jet black with only a tiny light brown head that fades almost immediately. Just little specks of lacing.

S: Huge boozy bourbon aroma. Loads of toffee, caramel, molasses, brown sugar, raisins and vanilla. Very similar to BT but with more vanilla and chocolate (but not much).

T: Up front, big toffee, caramel, brown sugar and molasses hit with a punch of alcohol burn to boot. Turns into a bunch of vanilla and bitter cocoa. Smooths out a bit into the finish with a sweeter milk chocolate. Stinging booze. Very sweet, especially in the chocolate and vanilla that stick around for a long time in the aftertaste.

M: Big, thick, heavy, syrupy mouth-coating stout.

O: Well, I had a BT last week and I wanted to compare to CR within a reasonable time frame. They are 90% alike. The biggest difference I noted was the lesser molasses and fruit element in this compared to BT, and the much larger chocolate and vanilla factor in this as well. This tastes more like a stout whereas BT tastes like a barleywine/stout blend aged in bourbon barrels. Regardless of the differences, this is one big, complex and sweet beast of a beer. It's extremely rare to get a beer that is almost 20% that comes out this well. This might be the only one, in fact. Hence the 5.

4.03/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to Siege06nd for breaking out a bottle of this the other night. 2012 vintage poured from a 750ml bottle. It poured dark brown in color with a spotty tan lacing scattered across the top. It appeared a little lighter in color and more still then I would have liked.

In the aroma the vanilla immediately stands out to me, but the chocolate isn't far behind. I get a little roasted malts to it, but the sweeter chocolate and vanilla steal the show. It's got a bit of a nice dark fruit presence as well. The bourbon was a little more reserved, but did come out more as it warmed. It's definitely sweet and boozy, but the aroma was good enough to overcome that for the most part.

Lots of chocolate and cocoa come out in the taste. The vanilla really starts to shine more towards the finish. I get a little bit of a roasted malt presence, helping it from becoming too over the top sweet. The bourbon is in the finish as well, but adds more of a boozy, alcohol heat and doesn't really compliment or integrate into the beer flavors all that well.

The mouthfeel is a little oily with low carbonation. The mouthfeel is a little thin for the style, but I like the low carbonation. Overall, very good but short of great. It's very rich, with some great flavors but the boozy alcohol heat hurts it for me. The bourbon barrel flavors just doesn't seem as complimenting, integrated and smooth as they could have been.

Chocolate Rain from The Bruery